Your Packing Essentials

Hydrocortisone for park rash or heat rash.
Spare eyeglasses, for emergencies or water park days.
Large fabric band aids, cause these will actually stay in place all day, unlike small plastic band aids

We are used to a much colder climate so do pack and need lots of clothes.

And we keep all our travel plans, and confirmation numbers etc in a binder.

What do you HAVE to have when you go to WDW? I am trying to make sure I pack everything I need and things I never knew I needed like portable chargers, I never even thought about that till I read a packing tips website.
Great post! Any advice on what I DEF need to bring for a 4 year old

- Cork screw and wine. It was so nice to be able to come back to our room and relax before going to bed.;)
- My pillow from home
- A night light
- Power strip
- Small portable fan for white noise
- Extra coffee cups with lids. We go to the QS restaurant each morning and get coffee in our refillable mugs. We then pour the coffee into the coffee cups and enjoy our walk to the bus in the morning.
- I pre measure detergent in a few snack bags in case I need to wash something
- Mousekeeping envelopes with $5 in each for every night we are there.
- I the past we bring a small "tinker bell" gift for each child each evening. (Tinker Bell brings our kids a small present each night) It is usually something the kids might need the next day such as glow sticks because we will be in the park that evening.
- My DH likes to bring powered Gatorade in snack bags. He gets water and ice from QS restaurants in the parks and adds the Gatorade. It helps hide the taste of the Florida water and replenishes minerals lost due to sweating. We also don't have to carry bottles of water all day long, just a cup with a lid.

Nightlight for the bathroom
Power strip
Poncho
Extra contact lenses
White noise machine
Spray sunscreen
Chargers for all electronics
Needle and thread for small repairs (once had a swimsuit strap break!)
Batteries
Mini mister fan
Sunglasses
Visor with Velcro closure
Clothes pins
Moleskin
Monistat anti-chaffing gel (for feet and other places!)

Extra coffee cups with lids. We go to the QS restaurant each morning and get coffee in our refillable mugs. We then pour the coffee into the coffee cups and enjoy our walk to the bus in the morning.
Do you mean "Paper" cups? So that you don't have to carry the refillable mug around all day? (Otherwise, why not just carry the refillable mug?)

- My DH likes to bring powered Gatorade in snack bags. He gets water and ice from QS restaurants in the parks and adds the Gatorade. It helps hide the taste of the Florida water and replenishes minerals lost due to sweating. We also don't have to carry bottles of water all day long, just a cup with a lid.
Kind of goes to my comment above with the refillable mug. (it could be used for both coffee or Gatorade). Don't really see the difference of carrying a cup with a lid or a bottle (that you can refill as well).

Have you considered a Collapsible bottle? (Google search will reveal a lot of them).

I like the detergent idea. We stay at the campground and typically PLAN on some laundry (if nothing more than towels because there is no "Mouse Keeping" to swap them out). While we don't typically use the powdered detergent, I think smaller bottles of "Portioned" liquid detergent is a good idea. Along with that, you can then throw the entire bottle (plastic only) in the washer (lid off) and it will also clean out the bottle for you to save for the next trip. Buying detergent in the coin-ops (maybe credit cards now too) is significantly more expensive then bringing it with you. (Don't forget your dryer sheets if you use them.)

Clothes pins, safety pins, packing tape, assorted sizes of ziplock baggies

- Cork screw and wine. It was so nice to be able to come back to our room and relax before going to bed.;)
- My pillow from home
- A night light
- Power strip
- Small portable fan for white noise
- Extra coffee cups with lids. We go to the QS restaurant each morning and get coffee in our refillable mugs. We then pour the coffee into the coffee cups and enjoy our walk to the bus in the morning.
- I pre measure detergent in a few snack bags in case I need to wash something
- Mousekeeping envelopes with $5 in each for every night we are there.
- I the past we bring a small "tinker bell" gift for each child each evening. (Tinker Bell brings our kids a small present each night) It is usually something the kids might need the next day such as glow sticks because we will be in the park that evening.

Great idea on the portable cups. I shall be doing the same this summer.

Laundry Pods/Bounce Sheets - enough for 2 loads
Small bit of dish detergent
Power Cord and small extension
Face Stick Sunscreen - easier to get on kids and a separate moisturizer with SPF for my face (I find regular sunblock often stings my eyes.)
Binder with our daily plans/Reservation Numbers etc.
Packets of Instant Oatmeal and small bowls/spoons for kids who wake up famished.
Good socks - anti-blister

Kind of goes to my comment above with the refillable mug. (it could be used for both coffee or Gatorade). Don't really see the difference of carrying a cup with a lid or a bottle (that you can refill as well).

Have you considered a Collapsible bottle?

I carry the throw away coffee cups because I don't like to travel in the parks with as little as possible. I also don't want to lose my mug. My DH loves his thermos because it keeps things colder longer that the refillable mugs.
I like your idea of liquid detergent for washing up and the collapsible bottle.

After our last trip, I saw on another post that one family cuts sponges into strips, presoaks them in detergent, and lets them dry. They then use those sponges to wash out the refillable mugs and other dishes in their room. The sponges are thrown away when finished. I might try it this next trip to see how that works.

After our last trip, I saw on another post that one family cuts sponges into strips, presoaks them in detergent, and lets them dry. They then use those sponges to wash out the refillable mugs and other dishes in their room. The sponges are thrown away when finished. I might try it this next trip to see how that works.

That's a cool idea with the sponge. We go to the Campground (with our Travel Trailer) so that is less of an issue for us. We have a (near) full kitchen so we don't need a "Throw-away" sponge. I still like the idea though.

I love the little container if laundry soap idea. We'll have a 1 br villa this trip. I know we get a small amount if laundry soap. I am allergic to everything and bringing my own makes much more sense.

I do not remember from our last 1 br trip if they give us a small box of Cascade for the dishwasher. Guess I'll pack a couple of Cascade pods too.

Love this post. New things to add to my speadsheets!!

A fan for white noise and mold able silicone earplugs, eye mask, a body pillow and regular pillow, all very important to me so I can sleep as good at Disney as I do at home, a neck fan which is a life saver in the hot parks, mole skin or band aids to prevent blisters, gum, rain ponchos, every medicine that I have at home goes in my travel case (although next trip I won't be able to do this as we will be flying and I won't have the room to spare so only the necessary ones, garbage or zip locks, power strip, extra batteries

I carry the throw away coffee cups because I don't like to travel in the parks with as little as possible. I also don't want to lose my mug. My DH loves his thermos because it keeps things colder longer that the refillable mugs.
I like your idea of liquid detergent for washing up and the collapsible bottle.

That's a cool idea with the sponge. We go to the Campground (with our Travel Trailer) so that is less of an issue for us. We have a (near) full kitchen so we don't need a "Throw-away" sponge. I still like the idea though.

The sponge tricks works great, but just be sure to let it dry completely. I live in South Florida, so humidity affects drying time of EVERYTHING. Sometimes I will place the sponge squares in the sun, but not actually outside. They go on the porch or in a sunny window where nothing can get to them. How much soap you add will play a factor in the drying time, so keep that in mind. Another thing that may affect the process is the brand and type of detergent and sponge you use. We just buy dollar store sponges, cut them into decent size squares, and soak them in Dawn, but I imagine both sponge and detergent thickness will play a part in how long the sponge takes to dry out. When done, individually wrap in plastic wrap then throw them into a baggie. This way, they do not get wet or contaminated but are ready for use every night to wash out mugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: msk
- Power strip that has both regular cord outlets and USB ports. This makes it easier to charge everything at once without having to pack a plethora of wall adapters.
- All the chargers, wall adapters, cords, batteries, memory cards, power banks, etcetera one could ever need X2. Number cords, chargers, and adapters one through whatever so none get left behind.
- Foam hand soap from Bath & Body Works. It is what we use at home and helps make the room feel homier.
- Nightlight from the dollar store to help light the room at night and make 3am bathroom trips easier.
- An over the door hanger to hold toiletries and random items. We stick it on the bathroom door and shove stuff we do not have a home for or want to get lost in there. Because of this, we use one with lots of mesh pockets, 42 I think.
- Clothespins to hang up wet clothes/bathing suits, keep curtains closed, etcetera.
- A small blanket or towel to wipe off seats, make sitting on the ground more comfortable, claim space, etcetera. We have one from amazon that is tear resistant, has weighted edges, folds into a small pouch with a carabineer, and fits two adults. We use it at the beach all the time, so we abuse it and it works fine. I imagine this would be useful for those who bring dollar store shower curtain liners to cover wet strollers.
- Umbrella for walking around Disney Springs and resorts on rainy days.
- One of those hanging shelf organizers that has six cubes in it. Some resorts do not have enough drawer space, so this makes up for it. Especially since we do not always use the closet, and if we do, we do not hang up everything or use that much space.
- Pop up hamper to collect clothes instead of wondering where to shove them.
- Rain jackets
- Individual snacks for the parks and small, hard sided containers for crushable snacks/saving food for later.
- Yogurt, fruit, instant oatmeal, dried fruit, croissants, and other items for quick breakfasts while getting ready/on the go.
- Disposable plates, bowls, forks, knives, and spoons for in room breakfasts/snacking/eating.
- Sponge squares soaked in soap.
- Small, lightweight flashlight for park bag and another for the room. Never know when you will need one to find a lost item or maneuver your way around.
- Small note pad for reminders, tips, etcetera.
- Pens!
- A weekly pill case from the dollar store with each compartment filled with a few of each medicine one has at home. Keep this in room and then transfer a couple pills to a single bottle for the park bag. Never know what you will catch at Disney, but be sure you can tell the difference between each.
- Benadryl cream AND pills. I am allergic to almost life and have sensitive skin. I usually end up using the Benadryl at least once a day because I am having a strange reaction to something I touched.
- Waterproof electronics bag/pouch for water rides and parks. Some are big enough to fit multiple phones or a phone and pocket camera in.
- Room spray to make it smell like home/nicer.
- Lavender sleep spray from Bath & Body Works. Helps calm those with excitement induced insomnia.
- Clorox wipes to wipe down various items in the room. While I am not a germophobe and have faith in Mousekeeping and how well they clean, I do work with five year olds and know that even Disney may not reach the one spot the sick two year old sneezed all over.
- Trash bags have many uses.
- Baggies of all sizes.
- Tweezers and nail files have many uses.
- Small sewing kit.
- Minnie Ears if I am bringing one from my collection or bought some from Etsy.
- Jacket of some sort. Some rides are freezing regardless of the 99 degree heat index.
- Sunhat for lounging by the pool.
- Small crossbody bag so I do not have to bring my park backpack to Disney Springs or dinner at resorts.
- Quarters. They come in awful handy for many things.
- Hand warmers in Fall/Winter/Spring. Yes it is Florida, but most of us natives do not fare well in 50 degree weather. Especially when it is windy and/or cloudy.
- Pillow and blanket. I get cold very easily and may have the monopoly on blankets in my house, so it is easier to bring my own fleece blanket from home that I do not have to share. I also enjoy having my own pillow, especially since we drive as we are only two hours South.
- Sunpass. It is a million times easier to drive through tolls rather than stopping and waiting, especially on Osceola. Many times, ten to fifteen cars can go through the Sunpass line while one has gone through actually stopping and paying. I highly recommend one for any out of state guests who choose to drive or rent a car at the airport. You can monitor your account online and funds never expire.
- Mini first aid kit with small versions of the essentials in my park backpack, which includes Touch Strip bandaids. No other kind will stick to my skin.
- GoToob silicone toiletry bottles with shampoo, conditioner, face wash, body wash, lotion, etcetera in them. They are much easier to use and transport than large or full size bottle. Plus they do not leak like other travel bottles do.
- Small tote or duffle bag in case we need it to bring items home.

Last edited:
On my next trip I plan on cutting up a few of these Bounty.JPG and putting them in a Ziploc bag to wash the refillable mugs.

On my next trip I plan on cutting up a few of these View attachment 167423 and putting them in a Ziploc bag to wash the refillable mugs.

Are you adding dish detergent to them or bringing a small travel bottle? I recently heard about wipes that can be used to clean dishes. I do not know if they are a real thing or if they were another Disboards invention, but I did not find anything that seemed like it was what the person was referring to. I am going to keep searching though.

Are you adding dish detergent to them or bringing a small travel bottle? I recently heard about wipes that can be used to clean dishes. I do not know if they are a real thing or if they were another Disboards invention, but I did not find anything that seemed like it was what the person was referring to. I am going to keep searching though.

The detergent is already in the paper towel. You just get it wet and it lathers right up. Stays soapy for awhile. I use them at home.

The detergent is already in the paper towel. You just get it wet and it lathers right up. Stays soapy for awhile. I use them at home.
You can make them yourself by using HandiWipes, cut them into squares, add a little dish soap, let them dry. When dry, fold them up and put in zip bags. I found HandiWipes at the dollar store, but I've also seen them at Walmart in the dish soap aisle.

Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock
Hat
Hand sanitizer
Moleskin and bandaids
OTC painkiller
Case of water
Ziploc bags (handy for water rides when you don't want to get your phone/camera wet)
Body glide to prevent chafing
Portable charger
Ponchos
This year, I'll be adding extra contacts, case, and solution to the list, as I've recently switched from glasses to contacts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter