Would you stay at Old Key West without a car?

Would you stay at Old Key West without a car?

• Yes

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Maybe (please explain)

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
We stayed once without a car (not close to the HH) and nope, never again. Granted, it was Sept of 2020 and things were still very limited, but we found it miserable to wait for the inner loop buses and called Ubers a lot. Thank goodness for the golf cart drivers who offered rides whenever they saw me and my daughter, those guys were awesome.

We're giving OKW another shot next month. No car, but we'll be close to the HH.

I said no because we always have a car. I really like the freedom to go whenever we want and my kids are still in boosters.

We have done it both ways ,and enjoy it. without a car we can take a boat to DS and from there take a bus to anywhere. Or a bus from OKW to a park. It's the best of both worlds.

We are car renters now but our final non-renting trip a few years ago was to OKW. While we will always rent going forward, it wasn't an OKW-specific negative experience that made us say "never again" to going without a car.

We did not have a Near-HH room, but did request (and receive) a room in Building 27:

View attachment 710816

This gave us quick access to the first bus stop, ensuring we'd have a spot on the way to the parks, and we were still close enough to the HH that we could also try to catch the bus there (the final stop) if we just missed it at the closest stop. Being the first stop also meant we had a shorter bus ride on the way back from the parks. We really liked this location and the flexibility of accessing the first or last bus stop.

However, room requests are not guaranteed and Near-HH is usually booked first, so if we had had a room further away (example, buildings 49-54) we probably would have thoroughly disliked the bus situation at OKW.

In short, even as now-devout car renters we had success at OKW without a car, but our location played a big role in that and we got lucky. I would feel a lot more comfortable booking a Near-HH room without a car.
It took me a little white to get oriented with this map... with "North" not being up. Where did it come from?

No, but we will not stay anywhere without a care while the kids are young and we have strollers/car seat. Way easier to be on our own schedule.

We never have a car. I'm also probably one of the only people who doesn't mind Disney transportation. Sure you have to wait, but drop off is so convenient! Big plus: it's my GS favorite ride LOL.

I'm on the fence about OKW with a car. We usually rent one and use it to and from the airport, to do food and beverage runs, sometimes to drive around and see the sights (or quickly get to Ft. Wilderness for Hoop Dee Doo), but I'd say half the days the car's just sitting there in the parking area. I think we parked at HS one day, but that was due to the early EARLY opening of Stars Wars when it first opened. I haven't weighed the $ or time lost to replacing the rental car with Lyft, Minnie's, or using the WDW transportation system. The next trip we'll have two or three separable parties, so it may be some use the car/SUV and some use WDW transport on different days. To me, it feels split down the middle on getting one or not.

I know that that may not help, but perhaps knowing that others aren't sure either may also mean that you probably can't go wrong either way.
That's basically why I put the poll out. Without the car, I'll take a rideshare to and from the airport, then maybe 30% of the time going around property. At OKW, it sounds like I'll either have a bad bus situation or be taking 2 rideshares a day, but I've never done it and that's why I wanted the feedback.

We’ll be there in February in a grand villa and while we’ll have a car it won’t have room for all of us (6 adults, 2 kids). I’m guessing my husband and I will bus most days and the grandparents and my sister’s family will drive but we haven’t looked at it too much. Hubby and I are used to relying on Disney transportation and don’t mind being up and out early so we can meet the family there.

For our second week offsite we’re contemplating a second car rental as we won’t be doing Disney that week and we’ll all need to get around together (5 adults and the 2 kids at that point)

I used to always rent a car for offsite shopping but still used Disney busses to/from parks. After ME became available, I stopped renting cars, ordered groceries from Amazon/Whole Foods and everything was fine.

We’ll be there in February in a grand villa and while we’ll have a car it won’t have room for all of us (6 adults, 2 kids). I’m guessing my husband and I will bus most days and the grandparents and my sister’s family will drive but we haven’t looked at it too much. Hubby and I are used to relying on Disney transportation and don’t mind being up and out early so we can meet the family there.

For our second week offsite we’re contemplating a second car rental as we won’t be doing Disney that week and we’ll all need to get around together (5 adults and the 2 kids at that point)
Dad got a 7 seater van so we are good for week 2.

We very rarely visit Disney without a vehicle. We've had a total of 2 trips without a vehicle, one of them being at Old Key West in 2018. Our experiences with the bus transportation that trip was excellent. We did have a room near the Hospitality House, so we were a short walk to the last stop before the Park buses left the resort.

I had one of those 10 point rooms and was trying to talk myself into it. I figured I could take a lot of Ubers for a 10 point room. But my waitlist filled so all was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter