Would you go to Toronto right now?

grinningghost

<font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family
Local talk radio host is doing a show on this subject right now. I wouldn't go there now, the SARS thing is a little too crazy there. I think I'll wait for scientists to get a better handle on things. Would you go there?

Absolutely NO! I wouldn't take the chance. There was just a story on the local news yesterday about a man from the Rochester area that was at a Blue Jays game and was sick a little bit after he got home so they are testing him for SARS. He is fine now, but he worked as a bartender when he was sick...they had the bar on TV and are asking patrons of the bar to report if they are sick.

I work with the public and if they report any cases of it in the immediate area I'm wearing a mask.

(Just for those who think I'm over reacting..I have a very low white blood cell count and can not fight off infections...the doctors are trying to figure out why my count is so low, but so far no answers. I can not be exposed to anything like that.)

Sure why not?

What about all the people who live there? Should they be running away?

I just saw on CNN.com that the World Health Organization has recommended not traveling to Toronto or Bejiing for the next three weeks due to SARS. I guess that I would have to avoid Toronto based on that recommendation.

This must be very scary for our Canadian DIS friends. {{{Hugs}}} to all of them, and I hope that something can be done soon.

We're debating this in our office right now. I have a business trip to Toronto next week (leaving Tues. night) and one of the guys in our office is debating whether or not he wants to go or not.

At this point, I view it as a highly remote possibility that I will catch anything, especially since I'm not exactly going into the more heavily populated areas of Toronto. And on the remote chance I contract SARS, my chance of survival is still extremely high.

In other words, yes, I'll be in Toronto Tuesday through Friday next week. :)

My dh was scheduled to go to Toronto for martial arts testing in 3 weeks. Because of SARS and the fact that the entire testing board is flying in from the Orient, he's decided not to go. This was a huge decision for him -- he's been waiting two years for his testing. He's decided though that it's not worth putting his/our health at risk. He will be waiting another year. :(

We're not alarmists, but we live in the Detroit area and there's been a *ton* of coverage here due to sharing our border with Canada. The border guards now wear masks and are "visually screening" anyone entering the country for SARS symptoms.

We aren't alarmists either, and also live in a border city. Perhaps the coverage here is more intense than in other cities - bringing this a little closer to home. It's just a matter of time before SARS is seen in our city - people here commute to and from Toronto everyday.

I guess I'd rather stay in Toronto than go to the US and risk getting shot. Guess what, being shot by gun crazed Americans has a higer percentage than contacting SARS. By the way have any of you heard that over 2000 people have recovered from it.

You know, this crap is like me asking Americans if they have hugged Charlton Heston today? :mad:

I think if I didn't live here, I probably wouldn't come:p . Actually, the way the media has portrayed it, I don't blame anyone for not coming. However, there are going to be so many layoffs in the hotel, convention businesses.

Now if you really think about it, there are 36,000 deaths due to the flu each year in the US alone. In one month, here in Toronto, we have had 15 deaths, each one directly related to the one case from China (visitors, health care workers to the hospital) and they have pretty much all been seniors. We have about 150 probable cases that are not confirmed ( that means you have a cough and a headache or a fever). How many of these people really have the flu or a cold?

Hope this thing passes quickly. The coverage it is getting reminds me of the anthrax terror in the US.

Next time I have business trip in Detroit or Washington DC I might decide to put it off. You know, all those stray bullets and everything.

Didn't the Washington Wizzards change their name from the Bullets? I wonder why:eek:

I am going to Niagra Falls in May and will be staying on the Canadian side. All I can say is that I can't wait! The Canadians have been very pro active in battling the SARS virus. If I am going to worry about getting sick with it, I'll worry about catching it from my husband who is always on airplanes.

It is estimated that in 2003, 21,100 Canadians (12,200 men; 9,000 women) will be diagnosed with lung cancer and 18,800 (10,900 men; 7,900 women) will die of it.

...and yet smokers are still smoking...?!?

but oh my - DONT come to Canada in chance of being one of a mere 15 who have died from SARS - light up another cancer stick instead! :rolleyes:

Ok Im not done...

it is also estimated that about 20,000 Americans and between 800 and 1,200 Canadians die of flu complications every year.

Nonetheless, one-third of Americans do not receive annual flu shots?!?

But oh my - DONT come to Canada in chance of being one of a mere 15 who have died from SARS...REFUSE to get a flu shot instead!

So, when's your trip to Hong Kong planned for? :rolleyes:

Is this at epidemic proportions in Canada (specifically Toronto) right now? No, of course not. But when organizations like the WHO and the CDC start saying to think twice about doing unnecessary travel somewhere, typically, people stop and think about it.

Like I said before, I agree that the chances of me contracting SARS in Toronto are much lower than say, getting killed in a car accident on the QEW. But did I pause and think about my trip coming up when I read the warnings? Of course I did.

That's all (from what I've read on this thread) people are saying -- just that they'd think about reconsidering a trip to Toronto if they didn't need to be there.

I wouldn't go to Hong Kong because I have zero desire to visit there...if the numbers for SARS were in the Orlando area - you bet I would still be going..;)

However, I have thought twice about visiting certain area's of the US because of stray bullets; as Boss pointed out...but I still went.

IMHO - either your meant to go or your not meant to go. I for one REFUSE to live in a vacumn (but hey...that's just me)

You know what's just plain stupid about the whole "don't visit Toronto thing"? What good does that bann do - if Canadians can still come into the US?!? I am not just talking about vacationing here, I work in transportation - we have 3 US partners - one truck crosses the Canadian/US border every 2.5 seconds...

Sorry, but unless they completely close off the US/Canadian border (which will NEVER happen; 1.3 BILLION in trade crosses our border every single day. Trust me - THAT is WAY more important to the government then a mere 15 deaths...)

So - you might as well visit, 'cause unless they find a cure to this stupid SARS thing - you won't be able to hide from it much longer anyhow...:rolleyes:

A.) No one said anything about a ban -- it's a travel advisory, which places like the CDC issue all the time. It just so happens to affect a North American city for the first time in a great many years. Nobody's stopping anybody's movement from US to Canada and vice versa (nor should they be doing that).

B.) I'm thinking you're still pretty worked up over the anti-Canadian stuff over the war. This isn't about that -- and this isn't a U.S./Canada thing. Relax, nobody's boycotting Canada on this one, just saying if you're going to travel to Toronto, take some precautions.

Next time I have business trip in Detroit or Washington DC I might decide to put it off. You know, all those stray bullets and everything.

Didn't the Washington Wizzards change their name from the Bullets? I wonder why

Just for the record, I have lived in Washington for many years and have yet to see a stray bullet fly through the air. :eek:

If I had a reason to go to Toronto, I'd probably go. I've lived through enough scares here in Washington (not of the bullet/gun crazed variety though! :teeth: ) to figure that anywhere I go will probably be safer than where I am.

I'm thinking you're still pretty worked up over the anti-Canadian stuff over the war. This isn't about that -- and this isn't a U.S./Canada thing.

Ah, NO. Not even close. Just commenting on the ignorance of some who are questioning coming to Toronto because of SARS. No one said anything about being anti-Canadian. Like I posted earlier, would I even not consider going to the US for fear of being shot? Would I post should I go to the US because of Anthrax?

All that I can say is that this has gone on long enough. Read about the disease before asking such questions. Would I go to Hong Kong? Like Madonna I have no desire but if Orlando had the problem, yes I would.

Like you said, you have a better chance of getting killed on the QEW than you do of contacting SARS. Is it that you are smarther than others on the board who can not see that same thing.

There may not be a ban - but this will certainly hurt both the US and Canadian economy!

I'm thinking you're still pretty worked up over the anti-Canadian stuff over the war.

Tell me exactly who your are to think on my behalf!!! I REALLY don't appreciate you telling me what YOU think I'm worked up over...

Was or was not the OP asking if you would go there?!? I was lying out reasons as to why you should still visit was all...what's the point of the travel advisory if nobody's stopping anybody's movement from US to Canada and vice versa anyhow?

Relax?!? Steve - IMHO - If the shoe was on the other foot...I would LOVE to see how Americans would *relax* (the name Anthrax comes to mind) :teeth:

Ok, never mind I said anything.

I suppose a Toronto Meet's out of the question? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter