Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

does anyone have any idea if you will be able to convert to a virtual if you sign up for in person? I know that historically they have not allowed deferrals to the following year and I don't expect that to change but I'm not sure what they lose out on if they let an in-person bib holder convert to virtual if they choose. I sent an email, but haven't heard back yet.

The last time I signed up for a rundisney event was back in 2016 (I think?) for the inaugural Disneyland Paris half, and I don't remember if I can sign myself and my husband up at the same time.

How quick will I have to be when registration opens? Will I be able to sign my husband and I at once, or will we each have to register separately?

The last time I signed up for a rundisney event was back in 2016 (I think?) for the inaugural Disneyland Paris half, and I don't remember if I can sign myself and my husband up at the same time.

How quick will I have to be when registration opens? Will I be able to sign my husband and I at once, or will we each have to register separately?
As people have said in the other thread, best practice is to be on the site with multiple devices about 1/2 hour before registration opens. Have all your info in order and make sure your runDisney account is correct and current. And hopefully, you’re a very fast typist.

[
When do y’all think they’ll release the medals?
honestly who knows
themes have at least been announced with the villains from the 5K/Half and 10K/Challenge being flipped from 2020 (still says Hook for kids races even though details of the new kid’s program has yet to be announced)

As people have said in the other thread, best practice is to be on the site with multiple devices about 1/2 hour before registration opens. Have all your info in order and make sure your runDisney account is correct and current. And hopefully, you’re a very fast typist.
Thanks! I just read through the other thread.

When I signed up for Wine and Dine 2020 the registration link became live maybe 10 minutes early, but I had read some reports if you click early it doesn't put you in the actual registration queue and you won't get through. Does anyone know which is correct? On twitter some people said the early link worked for them and others said it didn't work in their situation. I had 2 windows with different browsers going and did get through and registered ok (this was the original registration day before it was changed to virtual) but I'm not sure if it was the link I clicked at 9:50 am, or if it was from the link I clicked when the clock hit 10 am.

I would like to do the 5 K (with my son) and the 1/2. I can register for one early via my platinum club runDisney membership, but was told the early registration is only good for 1 race and I will need to do regular registration for the 2nd race. I had thought I'd get 1 early registration of longer distance PLUS 1 registration for a shorter distance but apparently it's just 1 of either. It's tough because my 9 year old son wants to do the 5 K, but being under 18 he can't be a club runDisney member and doesn't qualify for early registration (and really I probably wouldn't have wanted to spend that much for him to get a guaranteed 5 K, since he will only do 1 race per year). So what strategy do I use? Register for the 5 K for me now and hope I can get 5K for him and 1/2 for myself at regular registration? Do 1/2 now and then if we get through register both of us for the 5 K on regular registration day (I probably wouldn't do the 5 K if it weren't for my son's interest)? And on regular registration day if I register myself now for the 5 K do I do his registration for the 5 K through check out to make it more likely it goes through? Or do I take the extra minute to add the 1/2 for myself before checking out? I guess I wish I had a better understanding of how exactly the registration queue and process works.

Any insight greatly appreciated!

When I signed up for Wine and Dine 2020 the registration link became live maybe 10 minutes early, but I had read some reports if you click early it doesn't put you in the actual registration queue and you won't get through. Does anyone know which is correct? On twitter some people said the early link worked for them and others said it didn't work in their situation. I had 2 windows with different browsers going and did get through and registered ok (this was the original registration day before it was changed to virtual) but I'm not sure if it was the link I clicked at 9:50 am, or if it was from the link I clicked when the clock hit 10 am.

To my knowledge, there is nothing definitive about the quirks of runDisney registration queue acceptance. Your best bet is multiple devices, multiple browsers, and opening some before the link is to go live and some after the link is to go live. Spread out your options and see which one is the winner. I've been around for years worth of registrations and have yet to see one definitive method that beats other methods.

I would like to do the 5 K (with my son) and the 1/2. I can register for one early via my platinum club runDisney membership, but was told the early registration is only good for 1 race and I will need to do regular registration for the 2nd race. I had thought I'd get 1 early registration of longer distance PLUS 1 registration for a shorter distance but apparently it's just 1 of either. It's tough because my 9 year old son wants to do the 5 K, but being under 18 he can't be a club runDisney member and doesn't qualify for early registration (and really I probably wouldn't have wanted to spend that much for him to get a guaranteed 5 K, since he will only do 1 race per year). So what strategy do I use? Register for the 5 K for me now and hope I can get 5K for him and 1/2 for myself at regular registration? Do 1/2 now and then if we get through register both of us for the 5 K on regular registration day (I probably wouldn't do the 5 K if it weren't for my son's interest)? And on regular registration day if I register myself now for the 5 K do I do his registration for the 5 K through check out to make it more likely it goes through? Or do I take the extra minute to add the 1/2 for myself before checking out? I guess I wish I had a better understanding of how exactly the registration queue and process works.

Here is some information that may or may not make your decisions easier. Wine and Dine Historical Sell out timing:

2020 Race (Reduced availability?? or Villain theme??)
Start (link)
5k and 10k sold out in 46 min (link)
Challenge sold out in 86 min (link)
Half Marathon sold out in 126 min (link)
*2020 registration was March 10th, 2020 which was before most of the world pivoted due to COVID-19. So it's hard to say this race actually did have reduced capacity. It is more likely that this race sold out quickly due to an anniversary year in combination with the newly announced Villains theme. 2021 will also be Villain themed.

2019 Race
Start (link)
10k sold out in 84 min (link)
5k sold out in 8.5 hrs (link)
HM sold out in three days (link)
Challenge sold out in May when registration was in March (link)
*There were brief occasions when these races opened back up again for a few moments.

**Couldn't find the 2018 Wine and Dine thread

2017 Race
Start (link)
10k sold out in 3 weeks (link)
HM sold out in 4 weeks (link)
5k sold out in 5 weeks (link)
*No mention of when Challenge sold out

Based on this information, the HM sold out in 126 min, three days, and 4 weeks in the three years surveyed. The 5k sold out in 46 min, 8.5 hrs, and 5 weeks in the three years surveyed. It would appear in either case that as long as you're ready to go once registration begins, then you should be fine with both the 5k and the HM. However, the 5k is more likely to sell out faster than the HM based on these three years of surveyed data. With that being said, we don't know how 2021 registration will play out in the first post-COIVD registration period.

If it were me, I would register for the HM now, and then I would attempt to register for the 5k during general registration. My reasoning is that you have no interest in running the 5k alone. So in either choice you're registering your son in general registration. So to me, it's an "either I get it for both of us OR I get it for neither of us" situation. You are likely to gain mere seconds in difference of time when comparing the process between a single 5k registration and two 5k registrations. While seconds could matter, sell out history above says you're more likely operating on the scale of minutes to hours at best. But that's simply my opinion and insight.

Just be sure not to waste time on things that can be edited post-registration confirmation. Like estimated pace, t-shirt sizes, etc. Just choose something and move on. Edit it later. I feel like Name, address, and email are probably the most critical and those should be easily accessible (maybe even autofill) from your runDisney account.

Hope that helps!

Perfect legacy W&D runners: Check your email. Registration is open for you.
I wish they did perfect/legacy for all distances and not just the half (have done 10K since the inaugural in 2016 really hoping to get myself and my sister in next week but not holding my breath)

Good news! I hope that holds true for Marathon Weekend as well!

I think we are in good shape on that note -- see post 1,089 in the following thread for more information:

News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

To my knowledge, there is nothing definitive about the quirks of runDisney registration queue acceptance. Your best bet is multiple devices, multiple browsers, and opening some before the link is to go live and some after the link is to go live. Spread out your options and see which one is the winner. I've been around for years worth of registrations and have yet to see one definitive method that beats other methods.

Here is some information that may or may not make your decisions easier. Wine and Dine Historical Sell out timing:

2020 Race (Reduced availability?? or Villain theme??)
Start (link)
5k and 10k sold out in 46 min (link)
Challenge sold out in 86 min (link)
Half Marathon sold out in 126 min (link)
*2020 registration was March 10th, 2020 which was before most of the world pivoted due to COVID-19. So it's hard to say this race actually did have reduced capacity. It is more likely that this race sold out quickly due to an anniversary year in combination with the newly announced Villains theme. 2021 will also be Villain themed.

2019 Race
Start (link)
10k sold out in 84 min (link)
5k sold out in 8.5 hrs (link)
HM sold out in three days (link)
Challenge sold out in May when registration was in March (link)
*There were brief occasions when these races opened back up again for a few moments.

**Couldn't find the 2018 Wine and Dine thread

2017 Race
Start (link)
10k sold out in 3 weeks (link)
HM sold out in 4 weeks (link)
5k sold out in 5 weeks (link)
*No mention of when Challenge sold out

Based on this information, the HM sold out in 126 min, three days, and 4 weeks in the three years surveyed. The 5k sold out in 46 min, 8.5 hrs, and 5 weeks in the three years surveyed. It would appear in either case that as long as you're ready to go once registration begins, then you should be fine with both the 5k and the HM. However, the 5k is more likely to sell out faster than the HM based on these three years of surveyed data. With that being said, we don't know how 2021 registration will play out in the first post-COIVD registration period.

If it were me, I would register for the HM now, and then I would attempt to register for the 5k during general registration. My reasoning is that you have no interest in running the 5k alone. So in either choice you're registering your son in general registration. So to me, it's an "either I get it for both of us OR I get it for neither of us" situation. You are likely to gain mere seconds in difference of time when comparing the process between a single 5k registration and two 5k registrations. While seconds could matter, sell out history above says you're more likely operating on the scale of minutes to hours at best. But that's simply my opinion and insight.

Just be sure not to waste time on things that can be edited post-registration confirmation. Like estimated pace, t-shirt sizes, etc. Just choose something and move on. Edit it later. I feel like Name, address, and email are probably the most critical and those should be easily accessible (maybe even autofill) from your runDisney account.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for your help and thoughts!
My email link came through, so I at least got my guaranteed registration :-)
My one concern about the sell-out times in past years is that those don't reflect how long it takes to get through on the virtual queue. I had a friend who tried for the 2020 Wine and Dine 10 K and was not able to get through the virtual queue to register before it was sold out. I didn't get through to register until about 10:25 am despite starting my two queues at 9:50 and 10:00 am. Here's hoping!!!!

My one concern about the sell-out times in past years is that those don't reflect how long it takes to get through on the virtual queue. I had a friend who tried for the 2020 Wine and Dine 10 K and was not able to get through the virtual queue to register before it was sold out. I didn't get through to register until about 10:25 am despite starting my two queues at 9:50 and 10:00 am. Here's hoping!!!!

It's a valid criticism, as well as the times posted by others in those threads are not definitive. So someone can first post that the 10k sold out in 46 min in 2020, but in reality it could have been 35, 40 or 45 min. It's just the first moment someone noticed it. Best of luck!

I'm curious if any Club members got in during early registration yesterday? Was the process the same? Any queueing or just right into the sign-up?

I figured that, but wondered if it was the same as the previous DVC/AP process, with a hidden link but then you go into the same system as everyone else. Also interested to hear if it was busy at all. My guess is no since we haven't heard any chatter.

I got an email today and I was so excited thinking that perhaps 10K runners DID get a perfect designation but nope... just the standard registration opens 10AM Tuesday the 13th email

I figured that, but wondered if it was the same as the previous DVC/AP process, with a hidden link but then you go into the same system as everyone else. Also interested to hear if it was busy at all. My guess is no since we haven't heard any chatter.

We each received a personal link that is good until July 12th. Not busy, no queuing with anyone else. The link took you right to your registration page and your name was grayed out so you couldn't change it. Hope that answers your question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter