Will we be underdressed? Do I need to go on a shopping spree?

camdensmom

DIS Veteran
Long story short we are from the northeast, but built a vacation home in Florida. Hubby and I are self-employed and work from home and homeschool our kids. We've been living in Florida since January, but the majority of our clothes are up north. I mention this because we are taking a 3 night/double dip cruise on the Fantasy this week. It'll be our "maiden voyage" and we booked somewhat spontaneously a few weeks ago.
I just started to pull out clothes since we will be leaving for Disney tomorrow and spending a couple days there first and I suddenly realized we live in casual clothes. My daughters and I have skirts and sundresses and sandals that are a bit dressier, but my husband and son mostly own shorts and T-shirts and sneakers and flip-flops. They do both have a couple colored shirts for golf/tennis and khaki/colorful nicer shorts but not a single pair of pants other than jeans. Do we need to go on a shopping spree in Orlando tomorrow/Tuesday or will they fit in? I suppose I'm specifically asking about the dining room for dinner unless there are some other dressier occasions I don't know about. What about footwear? Thanks in advance

Long story short we are from the northeast, but built a vacation home in Florida. Hubby and I are self-employed and work from home and homeschool our kids. We've been living in Florida since January, but the majority of our clothes are up north. I mention this because we are taking a 3 night/double dip cruise on the Fantasy this week. It'll be our "maiden voyage" and we booked somewhat spontaneously a few weeks ago.
I just started to pull out clothes since we will be leaving for Disney tomorrow and spending a couple days there first and I suddenly realized we live in casual clothes. My daughters and I have skirts and sundresses and sandals that are a bit dressier, but my husband and son mostly own shorts and T-shirts and sneakers and flip-flops. They do both have a couple colored shirts for golf/tennis and khaki/colorful nicer shorts but not a single pair of pants other than jeans. Do we need to go on a shopping spree in Orlando tomorrow/Tuesday or will they fit in? I suppose I'm specifically asking about the dining room for dinner unless there are some other dressier occasions I don't know about. What about footwear? Thanks in advance
The only "dress code" for the Main Dining Rooms is "no swimwear or tank tops for dinner". Beyond that, you'll see all manner of dress in the dining rooms, from t-shirts & shorts to full on formalwear.

If you (the adults) plan on dining at Palo or Remy, you'll have to invest in dress slacks for the men.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's a vacation and given your circumstances perfectly understandable. The only issue would be if you wanted to go to Palo or Remy, but other than that, no big deal.

I was wondering in general for those that have done multiple cruises on different ships if the shorter Dream cruises tend to be more casual at dining?

Last edited:
You'll be fine in shorts and sneakers for the guys and sundresses and sandals for the girls (or shorts--whatever you prefer). I promise, you won't stick out. And on a 3-night double-dip, you'll be so busy I bet a lot of people will be even more casual than usual.

You'll be totally fine, especially for that cruise. Be sure to book a placeholder cruise while on board so you can get a discount on your next cruise. The Fantasy is an awesome ship, enjoy her.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's a vacation and given your circumstances perfectly understandable. The only issue would be if you wanted to go to Palo or Remy, but other than that, no big deal.

I was wondering in general for those that have done multiple cruises on different ships of the shorter Dream cruises tend to be more casual at dining?
Honestly, I haven't found any of the Disney ships to be "different" in regards to what people wear to dinner.

You may want a couple of pairs of pants - I found the dining rooms chilly (as did my 8 year old). I wore a nice sweater every night, he was fine in a hoodie over a tee shirt/polo. I also ended up with leggings on under my dress several nights (though I probably could've suffered through without - we did Canada so it was chilly outside, plus AC inside.

Will you be underdressed- absolutely not. Should you go on a shopping spree? Yes! Perfect excuse! It is for me anyway!:cool1:

Your clothes description is pretty much what we pack! My husband takes a pair of khaki slacks and a polo shirt or one shirt and tie. I just bring one pair of slacks and a blouse, but otherwise it capris, shorts, tees, etc. You'll be fine!

LOL. Go shopping anyways! We just got back from the Bahamas on the Dream - our first DCL vacation. Shorts/sundresses were just fine for any dining other then the high-end restaurants. Add a nice button down shirt if the guys want to dress up a smidge. Some fancy shoes for the ladies, because you can! :cloud9: I had jeans with me and didn't wear them. A pair of khakis might be a good option, but I'll be packing lighter the next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter