will disney do a

Not to be argumentative but... how much more convenient than door-to-door service are you looking for?

If they make a mistake not saying they have or will but IF we could be waiting for stuff we need if it was onsite I can get it myself,EG we would like to leave my wifes battery charger for her power chair we bought an american one as her british one works on differant voltage and takes twice as long to charge as the american one if it was continually being transported around it may get broken leaving her stranded same as if it wasnt delivered on the right day. I was only asking as this would be a great benefit to everseas DVCers as it would enable us to buy some electrical kithen items and leave them there ready for next time

Walt, if it makes you feel any better about the service, I am a beta tester and have complete confidence in the service. I live in hotels 300+ nights a year, and the service is what I have wanted and needed for years. (And one day I hope to convince John to expand to other locations! ;) )

I have already made use of my locker many times. The only 'hitch' was one time because of the resort staff, not the Owners Locker folks. I provided the feedback to the owner so that they could try and minimize such issues in future. In fact, John is very good at reading my mind and finding me, even when I give him the incorrect dates and/or resorts. He is also very good about finding me when I just pop down to Orlando for a very short stay.

I still mail myself boxes but no longer for my WDW trips. I do that only on my other work trips, including overseas. And I agree that it can be expensive and cumbersome to do so, even if my employer is paying the bill. I recently shipped a box to India and the cost and customs and time required were quite shocking.

Ultimately, it comes down to a cost analysis for each user - at what point does using a locker make financial sense? Remember, your time is money, and for the amateur traveller who does not fly that often, packing and hauling luggage around can be a challenge.

I am considering a short Labour Day weekend trip, and have realized that I could pack two shirts and a skirt in my laptop case, take my purse, board the plane, arrive at OKW and have everything that I need for a trip to WDW waiting for me in my locker, from toiletries to coffee to Nutella to a change of shoes.

I think this is an interesting question and one I wouldn't dismiss. How many of you would have guess 4 or 5 years ago that Disney would have offered Free transportation to and from the airport. Bottom line here is Disney will watch other like Owners Locker and see how they play out over the next few years. If it looks like they make good money on it then yes they will offer it.

I think as well that one factor which people tend to overlook until they try a locker is how much it adds to a vacation.

As I am rarely 'home' I make my hotel room or DVC room my home while travelling. That includes using the same toiletries I would use at home, bringing travel candles, DVDs, good coffee, a real mug, cutlery, slippers, etc.

I don't understand the concept of going on vacation and not using products which make one feel comfortable. I'm sure that we all have had the experience of having to use low end hotel toiletries which made our hair feel funny, or our face itch, or just didn't feel 'right' because we didn't smell like 'ourselves'.

When I vacation I want to feel my best and most comfortable, and that means using all of my favourite toiletries, eating my favourite foods, and not having to wait until I get 'home' to feel comfortable again.

DH & I had said for years that DVC should turn one of the warehouses hidden on property & turn it into a DVC Public Storage space.

I had even priced public storage on the area (as we always rent a car) but found the spaces too large & price too high to justify it.

When OL first came on board, I didn't think it would be cost effective either but the more I broke it down... let's just say I am very excited to be using it for the first time in a few weeks.

The thought of only having to pack clothes for future trips is very exciting. (Yes, it's the little things that make me happy.)

If you are hesitant, I believe they are offering a "risk free trial" these days for new members. Plus maybe email John with your concerns & see what kind of response you get.

.......................I don't understand the concept of going on vacation and not using products which make one feel comfortable. I'm sure that we all have had the experience of having to use low end hotel toiletries which made our hair feel funny, or our face itch, or just didn't feel 'right' because we didn't smell like 'ourselves'.

When I vacation I want to feel my best and most comfortable, and that means using all of my favourite toiletries, eating my favourite foods, and not having to wait until I get 'home' to feel comfortable again.

Bavaria, I completely agree!!:thumbsup2

I'll take it 1 step further and say that I want to be MORE comfortable on vacation then I am at home. Vacation is when I really get to slow down and enjoy everything. At home its always rush rush rush.

Everything we have at home, we dont get to fully enjoy because we have to maintain it too. We spend more time maintaining our things then we do enjoying them.

DVC is a maintenance free lifestyle and the things I enjoy the most at my DVC Home are in my Owners Locker.

My last trip, I THOUGHT I had scheduled my OL to be delivered to SSR (which I had not distracted by Family Reunion on the brain) so when I arrived no locker! I called John that morning and not only did he deliver my locker within 90 minutes he left a phone message to let me know it had been delivered and to make sure I got it. We switched our last night resort from AKV to SSR same day and OL picked it up without missing a beat. I felt bad being such a pain, but John has challenged us to challenge his service and he has met every challenge with seamless ease and I wasnt even trying to be challenging princess:

Disney couldnt do it better or more cost effective and the way they are outsourcing services, John would be doing it anyway:rotfl:

P.S. I think a DIS locker is a great idea!! There could be lockers for each resort like the Christmas trees that wdwstar organizes each year:santa:

DH & I had said for years that DVC should turn one of the warehouses hidden on property & turn it into a DVC Public Storage space.

I had even priced public storage on the area (as we always rent a car) but found the spaces too large & price too high to justify it.

When OL first came on board, I didn't think it would be cost effective either but the more I broke it down... let's just say I am very excited to be using it for the first time in a few weeks.

The thought of only having to pack clothes for future trips is very exciting. (Yes, it's the little things that make me happy.)

If you are hesitant, I believe they are offering a "risk free trial" these days for new members. Plus maybe email John with your concerns & see what kind of response you get.

I have only the concern I posted in my last post and having control onsite appeals to me thats all, as for OL the price seems ok the box looks ok I will try OL but wont leave the charger then I still have to bring it with me and thats what I was hoping to avoid with an onsite locker

Hi, there, I am a beta tester for Owner's Locker, and plan to continue with using OL (Owner's Locker) when the testing phase expires.

I have to say, I prefer the idea of Owner's Locker to keeping stuff in an onsite storage facility. I have used the service twice this year, and am completely sold.

1) Convenience - I don't need to schlep these things myself when I visit. The locker is waiting for me at Bell Services (in the case of Disney resorts). Bell Services was very helpful getting the locker to our room at SSR this past February, as we did not have a car.

2) Flexibility - Use of the locker is not limited to an onsite Disney trip. They will deliver the locker to many many resorts in and around Orlando. We just visited the Vero Beach DVC, where they do not deliver at this time. Brian from OL was just terrific. He met us at the airport when we arrived to hand off the locker, and had even found an airport SmartCart to put it on, so that we had no trouble wheeling it out to our rental car. At our departure, he met us right at the airport to pick up the locker. He was even very flexible and accomodating when I mistakenly returned our rental car to the B side, and our flight was departing from the A side. Brian had been waiting for us at the A side car rental drop off. He was so nice when we figured out that we made a mistake and met us at the airline ticket counter.

3) Frugality - The cost of the service is well worth it. Yes, I suppose that the value of the items stored might be under $100, but if I make even two trips per year, I easily recoup the cost of items that I might have to buy and then either schlep on the airplane or ship. But the real value of OL is that you don't have to think about what you need for your vacation. You don't have to plan for it, you don't have to go shopping for it, and you don't have to worry about getting the stuff down to Florida. It's one less thing to worry about before leaving on vacation. I don't have to worry about packing shampoo in my checked luggage (since anything over 3 oz is not allowed in carry on) and then my luggage not showing up and me not having shampoo (or other toiletries). I don't have to worry about shipping a box, and worrying that the box will get lost or show up late. I don't have to spend valuable vacation time shopping for toiletries and sundries once I am in Florida.

4) I am heavily in favor of supporting small, local business. In addition to that, John and Brian are really, really nice. On the way to the airport from VB (and we had left extra early), we hit unbelievable traffic on I95 North right around Mile 182. After sitting for well over 20 minutes, we were worried that there was an accident that would delay us to the point of missing our plane, and we didn't know of an alternate route to get to the airport. We didn't know who to call for help, so we called Brian (he also needed to know we might be running a little late since he was meeting us at the airport to pick up the locker). He actually went online and looked at a traffic website for us, told us where there was an accident and that it might possibly be worth our while to divert to an alternate route. He gave us the directions, and then we went ahead and decided whether or not we wanted to take the detour. Ultimately, by the time we were finished talking with him and trying to make a decision, traffic started to break up (we had sat for 40 minutes), and we ended up going via our original route, but it was nice to know that we could call someone for help when we had an emergency.

5) We can pack less. Two benefits here: 1) DH doesn't have to kill himself carrying heavy things; 2) We don't need to worry about packing more than the 50 lb. limit in our checked baggage - which costs an arm and a leg if you do go over the limit.

I cannot emphasize enough how easy it is to plan a trip now that we have an OL. All we have to do is book a room and a flight and show up. This even makes a last minute trip extremely viable.

I am wishing huge success to John and Brian (mostly because they're great) but also because I will use the service for as long as they provide it! Don't make me go back to vacationing the other way! :eek: The $100 or so a year for the service is just a cost I will include as part of our yearly vacation budget, like airfare or meals. It's sort of like maintenance dues. I'm paying a little bit extra so that I can feel like I'm really on vacation, and leave the hard work of chores at home. Some DVC'ers would never cook in their rooms because to them, it's not a vacation if they have to cook. Well, for me, it is equally wonderful not to have to worry about the items that I have now stored in the OL. Not only did we leave toiletries, but laundry detergent, an unopened bottle of wine we didn't drink, some Disney flip flops we bought at VB for DH that he wouldn't wear at home anyway, the Disney cap he bought at VB that he wouldn't wear at home, a string backpack that I wouldn't use at home but is great for the parks, and many other things that I can't even think of to list here. Using OL really does add to the "Welcome Home."

I've gotta run, now. If anyone has any questions about the service, please PM me.

walt, again I can only reassure you. I have a lot of missing boxes when I travel; in fact I am quite known for that. WDW has 'misplaced' many of my boxes over the years, as have other providers. Hotels only have a limited ability to handle packages, and WDW doesn't have a great system in place. There are many steps in involved from package delivery, signature of receipt, logging the item, informing the guest, and delivering the item. It should be simple, but often it is not.

My confidence level is MUCH higher with Owner's Locker. I have confidence in their ability, and I know that if a locker is ever missing, I can call OL and they will be all over it. I would rather trust one or two individuals which have a high level of credibility and proven record, rather than put my faith in the package delivery system and hotel employees.

I'll take it 1 step further and say that I want to be MORE comfortable on vacation then I am at home.

one last thought from me... I am from Europe and never learned to sleep with sheets and blankets. Vacation at WDW always meant long sleepless nights fighting with sheets and blankets (while most higher end American hotels have duvets now, WDW is sadly far behind that bus)

In January 2007 I finally had a GOOD NIGHT SLEEP at a WDW resort, thanks entirely to my OL and the duvet which lives inside. In fact, a few weeks later I was at OKW and a friend came to join me for the weekend. She was extremely disappointed to find that she had to make do with sheets and blankets while I enjoyed a duvet on my bed ;)

the cover comes home for a wash after the trip (although I could wash it there as well) and on my last day the duvet gets an airing on the balcony before being packed away.

The duvet alone is worth the cost of the locker to me... being able to finally sleep at night on vacation is priceless.

walt, again I can only reassure you. I have a lot of missing boxes when I travel; in fact I am quite known for that. WDW has 'misplaced' many of my boxes over the years, as have other providers. Hotels only have a limited ability to handle packages, and WDW doesn't have a great system in place. There are many steps in involved from package delivery, signature of receipt, logging the item, informing the guest, and delivering the item. It should be simple, but often it is not.

My confidence level is MUCH higher with Owner's Locker. I have confidence in their ability, and I know that if a locker is ever missing, I can call OL and they will be all over it. I would rather trust one or two individuals which have a high level of credibility and proven record, rather than put my faith in the package delivery system and hotel employees.

ok the last 2 posts sold it to me and Disney does get more than its fair share of my money:rotfl2:

ok the last 2 posts sold it to me and Disney does get more than its fair share of my money:rotfl2:

Owners Locker does ROCK!!! :thumbsup2

And while I agree that it is a nice dream to have the lockers themselves on-site and accessible to us, it is probably not too feasible and probably won't ever happen.

On-site property is waaaaay too valuable. DVC or the locker facility will have to pay "rent" to lease the physical space from WDW which will make any permanent lockers almost as expensive as our DVC membership. :eek:

Also I agree with everyone that the personal service provided by OL beats the red tape and bureacracy of a giant organization. While there are some magical Disney CMs, I have a feeling that Disney would definitely outsource any such operation like they do the valet services.

When my flight was cancelled in February and I had to go back to Disney for 2extra nights until the next reservable non-stop flight, I called Brian/John to see when I could get my OL back.

When they found out that my toiletrries were all in the locker, even though it was after hours and they had finished all their drop off and pick up runs on Disney property, they INSISTED on making an extra run back onto property just for me so that I would have my toiletries that night!! They had my OL back in my room within the hour!!! :goodvibes

OL definitely went above and beyond and while you may occasionally luck out with a magical CM, good luck trying to find someone after hours or someone that even has that kind of pull to cut through all the red tape THAT quickly.

I doubt if Disney will do this service for DVC owners in the future. I'm sold on Owner's Locker as a beta tester and will continue the service when my free time is up. I can't imaging going back to having to track all that stuff to remember to pack. Now I have my master list of what is in the OL and I don't have to worry about remembering to pack any of it.

On another practical note, my DH and I can now travel to Disney with just one 26 inch suitcase for the two of us. All we need is clothes and a pair or two of shoes. This is perfect for the trip we have planned where we will be taking my mom, sister and niece with us. Our rental car will fit the luggage for all of us and I'm not sure it would have if both DH and I had our normal suitcase for each of us.

I have to say that although I haven't used my locker yet, I had wonderful customer service from John at OL when I had a little issue...my issue, not theirs! He figured it out and got me to where I needed to be. Thanks John!!
I'll be using my locker for the first time this Sunday....my only issue is the excessive amount of stuff I have to bring this trip since we'll be cruising and then heading to Tampa after we leave WDW. So, I have to have some duplicates this time around. But, I can't wait to have one carryon bag when I head to WDW in Dec. All the stuff I need will already be there. Pack one bag and I'll be good to go!!!
No more carting toiletries around, beach towels, holiday Disney stuff, laundry detergent, fabric softner....you get the idea. It's all there, waiting for me.

I Could see Disney sub-contracting with Owners Locker, esentially taking a little off the top of each membership, and Disney putting their name on it and promoting it. Similar to what they do with Mears and Magical express. This would pose very little risk to them. And offer DVC members a great new service. It would be great for Owners locker too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter