Will development go on hold

TiggerFreak

Never goes gankin on the Internizzle
Just read a post on the News & Rumors board about the postponed opening of the POP Century development.
The hinted at reason was the slowing economy and low park attendance.

Anyone think a similar announcement may be forthcoming reagarding EP or BCV?

Is DVD/DVC as susceptable to economic slowdowns as the Regular Resorts. Diferent demograpics?

If future DVC sales are not as brisk as they have been recently, will we necessarilly see the point price so "eagerly" anticipated when (if) BCV is opened up for sales?

Who knows? My guess would be that the BCV will stick to the original timetable for opening. Whether or not they go ahead with pre-sales will probably depend upon how adversely the sales of DVC have been effected. If VWL will not be sold out, I don't think they'll start the pre-sales. I'm also guessing that the opening price will be $85 or less -- not more.

As for the new DVC. I'm guessing they will build it but possibly not as quickly as originally announced. It sounds like this is a resort they saw a market for. I don't think they'll abandon the plan but they may slow down its development.

I also don't see how they could justify slowing down Pop Century. The resort already had a lot done to it when I was there in July. How can they sink that much money into something and not finish it for awhile. Sure they will have to put more money in it to finish but there is already money sunk that can't even start to be recouped before it is opened.

The delay in "finishing" Pop Century has less to do with constructing buildings then it does with opening a resort and having to staff it...
Nick

Regarding future DVC resorts... I think BCV will open on schedule, to allow DVC sales to continue. The price per point and the incentives (if any) will reflect the economy and consumer confidence a year from now. Phase 1 of the unnamed DVC resort at Eagle Pines will probably also move forward as planned, with a 2004 opening date. Let's hope that by then the economy is back on an unswing, and that every country on Earth will have learned that it's a very bad idea to provide sanctuary for terrorists.

Regarding the Pop Century Resort... Sure, Disney has already invested a lot of capital in it, but once they open it, they also face operating expenses. I assume that Disney feels that the All Star resorts can handle the demand for "value" lodging for the forseeable future. The opening of the Pop Century isn't cancelled; it's only postponed until demand picks up. My guess is that it will be open this Summer.

Agree with Werner that BCV and phase one of Eagle Pines will move forward fairly close to schedule. DVC members have indicated a strong desire to purchase at BCV and the construction has started. The pace on Eagle Pines will depend on the completion of sales at Wilderness and the initial BCV sales. Don't think there will be any major changes in the construction schedule until phase two of Eagle Pines.

ralphd;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter