Wild Animal Park Photo Caravan...is it worth the $$$?

loralee3

Earning My Ears
We are thinking of going to the Wild Animal Park while we are in Escondido in a couple of weeks. Has anyone taken the photo caravan tour that they offer, and if so what are your thoughts?

I have been on the caravan twice. You get to ride around in the back of an open bed truck into the giant (many,many,many acres) enclosures and get close to all the animals...within 20 feet usually, but sometimes closer. We went on the bigger tour which took us into both large enviornments and got the chance to feed apples to rhinos. I was so close to a rhino as I shoveled apples into his mouth that I got to touch him. I mean, seriously---I touched a rhino!!! Far too cool for me. We also fed giraffes which was great, just not the thrill of being THAT close to a rhino!!!!
The tour guides are very knowledgable and tells all sorts of stories about the various animals.
So, I would give it a HUGE thumbs up!!!! But, keep in mind, Escondido is pretty far inland, so it gets beastly hot...early,and you are in the unshaded open bed of the truck. So, if you can't get the first tour of the day, I would give it a skip. Of course, if you thrive in the heat...go ahead!!!!!
Also, if kids are younger than 12...don't think they are allowed. And, the truck ride is pretty bumpy...my dad who is somewhat handicapped had a lot of trouble maintaining his seat.
Good luck. Say hello to the rhinos!!!!

I went 3 weeks ago and had a great time. I took the 5:00 pm tour. The animals were waking up from their naps and were hungry and frisky.

If you want a link to my photos, please send me a pm.

Well, I will start by saying I have never been to San Diego. But from looking online I wanted to point out that there is a neat similar attraction in Foley, Louisiana. And there you get to feed and touch giraffes, hundreds of different types of deer/antelope/gazelle/elk things, bison, cattle and more. And it's much much cheaper. So, since we just did this this summer I can't see paying 3X's as much per person to do it in San Diego and maybe get to touch and feed one type of animal.
http://www.globalwildlife.com/main/index.html
Even with the family bucket of feed ($20, lasted great for our 2 kids and dh and me, even with younger dd throwing food out at random to nothing), it only cost $44 for 2 adults and 2 kids (total family cost, not each) for admission and it was tax deductible because they are a charity. (so total cost for our family of 4 was $64 at Global Wildlife, it would be $90 for ONE of us to do the tour in San Diego)

So, I know my recommendation isn't for CA area, but if you are planning a trip in the Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama area skip the extra costs for the caravan and do this trip there instead.

Nora

Dh and Ds did this with my parents a couple of years ago. I believe the minimum age is 8 years old and "family caravan tour" allow as young as 6yo. We went to southern CA for a family reunion and spent 12 days doing DL, Seaworld, Legoland, San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park. The photo caravan tour was the highlight of the trip for my parents, dh and ds (dd and i couldn't go since she was too young). Dh said it was as close to going on a safari without going to Africa. There were lots of photo ops: feeding giraffes, feeding rhinos, etc.. We ended up getting a zoo/WAP membership and there was a $30 discount for this tour. As another poster posted, it was hot. We went in late Septeber, early Oct and the heat was almost unbearable. My sisters, dd and my nieces and nephews, ended up riding the train and almost falling asleep while our parents and husbands went on the tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter