Wife's pregnant, which attractions are safe?

Sounds like your a little late to receive advice on safety. :oops:

Are you really joking about practicing safe tex? That's sort of funny. Except we had to get medical help after trying unsuccessfully for a number of years and thought it would never happen for us / considering adoption.

Are you really joking about practicing safe tex? That's sort of funny. Except we had to get medical help after trying unsuccessfully for a number of years and thought it would never happen for us / considering adoption.
Sorry and a huge congratulations on your success. I know it is an expensive process emotionally and monetarily so again congrats on the result. I don’t think I would take the slightest risk in those circumstances.

Sorry and a huge congratulations on your success. I know it is an expensive process emotionally and monetarily so again congrats on the result. I don’t think I would take the slightest risk in those circumstances.
Thank you for apologizing. Agree that we shouldn’t take on unnecessary risks.

This will still be a memorable/fun trip. We’re going to have Mickey and Minnie help us with the gender reveal. We ordered a mini stuffed Minnie and a mini Mickey for one of them to turn around and hold up high. Another thing to look forward to and be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

ask your doctor. rather be safe than sorry.

I would say some doctors let you drink alcohol during pregnancy, some let you eat seafood, and so on. You also have the issue that its likely that your doctors have not been on these rides recently to accurately suggest what rides to avoid.

I would say some doctors let you drink alcohol during pregnancy, some let you eat seafood, and so on. You also have the issue that its likely that your doctors have not been on these rides recently to accurately suggest what rides to avoid.
Our dr hasn’t been to wdw in 20 yrs, and it seems like his patience for questions for this topic isn’t a priority. And no, wife doesn’t want to switch drs, I’ve already asked.

The nurse has been to WDW recently, she’s very liberal on going on most everything- no to Splash, yes to 7D and safari, for ex. She had said yes to most fish: tilapia, smoked salmon, but no to lunchmeats, hot dogs.

I visited a few times throughout my most recent pregnancy, and I avoided all of the rides with a warning. Even though some probably would have been be okay, the “what if” risk wasn’t worth it in the long run. What if a faster moving ride with a lap bar had an emergency stop? And as for the Safari, it was more an issue of there’s no restroom for a pregnant lady if an animal decides to block the vehicle for an extended period of time.

That said, there were still tons of things for me to do (including Soarin’), and I liked having a little break when everyone went on the other rides. When they went on the Safari, I watched Festival of the Lion King.

As for Galaxy’s Edge, we spent more time exploring the land than we did on the ride. It will still be tons of fun, and make sure you talk to the citizens.

Plus, all the food. Disney is a great place for pregnancy cravings!

Have a great trip!

Our dr hasn’t been to wdw in 20 yrs, and it seems like his patience for questions for this topic isn’t a priority. And no, wife doesn’t want to switch drs, I’ve already asked.

The nurse has been to WDW recently, she’s very liberal on going on most everything- no to Splash, yes to 7D and safari, for ex. She had said yes to most fish: tilapia, smoked salmon, but no to lunchmeats, hot dogs.

You don't need to switch doctors. I was simply saying doctors just like your nurse will have a variety of ideas of what is acceptable in limited exposure.

I visited a few times throughout my most recent pregnancy, and I avoided all of the rides with a warning. Even though some probably would have been be okay, the “what if” risk wasn’t worth it in the long run. What if a faster moving ride with a lap bar had an emergency stop? And as for the Safari, it was more an issue of there’s no restroom for a pregnant lady if an animal decides to block the vehicle for an extended period of time.

That said, there were still tons of things for me to do (including Soarin’), and I liked having a little break when everyone went on the other rides. When they went on the Safari, I watched Festival of the Lion King.

As for Galaxy’s Edge, we spent more time exploring the land than we did on the ride. It will still be tons of fun, and make sure you talk to the citizens.

Plus, all the food. Disney is a great place for pregnancy cravings!

Have a great trip!
We’ll have to think of things she can do while we’re on certain rides. Such as the trails at AK. Not sure what she could do at HS - maybe beauty or little mermaid.

If it were just me and her - the usual trip - I’d feel too guilty and may sit out those rides with her. She said it’s fine and don’t hold back for her, but she could just be trying to be a good sport. As it is, her folks are coming with us. They are Disney rookies and idk if they can come again with how expensive it is. I feel like i need to take them on most of the rides even though wife can’t partake.

If it were me, I wouldn’t mind at all if my H did rides without me. I would enjoy the break from walking and probably sit down a snack! But I love people watching and observing. Just ask her to be honest about how much she is okay missing out on. I will say I would definitely not be getting on the gondolas after what happened last night if I were pregnant☹️

It seems like you are pretty set on keeping this trip as scheduled, so if that's the case then you can disregard what I'm saying.

DW and I had a trip booked for last November when we found out she was pregnant. Truth be told, she was still very early in the pregnancy but, without getting too personal, given that we've had fertility issues we talked and decided not to risk it. Now we are going in March of 2020 when our DD will be 10 months. We know that we won't be able to ride much more unless we do rider swap with the baby but this just seemed the better choice for us and our personal comfort level.

Being that we were in the early stages of pregnancy we were also concerned about things like morning sickness, though had she been further along then our concern might have extended to being uncomfortable because of the belly, increased fatigue, etc.

Whatever you do I hope you have a great trip and good luck with the coming little one, the time goes by so fast.

I went earlier this year while 18 weeks pregnant. I avoided all rides that had a pregnancy warning. Honestly when I was planning I was sad about all the rides I had to skip, but when we got there I didn't really feel like I was missing out because of how much there is to do there. As far as all the "maybe ok" rides, I don't think I would have been able to enjoy them because I would have been worried the whole time.

That trip was definitely different/slower paced than our usual trips but I enjoyed it just as much. And now we are planning a trip in the Spring to bring our then 7 month old!

We also did a gender reveal there (more of an announcement - we already knew the gender). We bought a blue Mickey balloon to take pictures with in front of the castle. The photopass guy we got was great and took some creative photos of the balloon with my baby bump. We then gave the ($12!) balloon away to a little toddler who was awestruck by the balloons.

Congratulations and have a great trip!

I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant. We live in the Central Florida area and have annual passes, so skipping rides isn't that big of a deal for me. But I definitely avoid every ride with an expectant mother warning, and also avoid any ride with drops (FEA and Pirates are listed as okay but I don't want to risk it). I also had fertility issues and it took us many years to get pregnant, so it's just not worth the risk for me. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and happily skipped out on Smuggler's Run. We're doing a babymoon at the Swolphin this weekend and honestly I'm most looking forward to taking naps, lol.

I will say that the biggest issue for me going to Disney during my pregnancy hasn't been avoiding rides, but the swelling. My feet started swelling very early and being in the heat made it even worse. By the time I had to walk back to my car, I wanted to cry.

BTW, here is the list of rides to avoid from the Disney website. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/rides-for-pregnant-women/

OP- just do what you and DW are comfortable doing. Disney puts warnings on rides for legal purposes. If your wife feels good, is not high risk, and active, she could probably ride some of the Maybe rides. I had 4 kids and while I never went to WDW pregnant, I would have just used common sense. I had the doctor that said I could do about anything. I’m a nurse and he wouldn’t even write me an excuse so I wouldn’t have to lift people. Said I was used to doing it and it wouldn’t hurt me. I would never ride a coaster, and most the rides listed I would not do while pregnant but that’s me. (I would ride Safari and we have taken our kids when they were about 9 months old on it). I also don’t mind if DH rides when I don’t and I enjoy rides DH doesn’t. You will get a wide range of answers on these boards ( just like ideas on taking babies to the parks and how old is too old for a stroller) but in the end you just have to do what you and DW are comfortable with and use common sense taking into consideration how she feels. I would FP rides you KNOW she can and will ride. You can always change plans later.

OP- just do what you and DW are comfortable doing. Disney puts warnings on rides for legal purposes. If your wife feels good, is not high risk, and active, she could probably ride some of the Maybe rides. I had 4 kids and while I never went to WDW pregnant, I would have just used common sense. I had the doctor that said I could do about anything. I’m a nurse and he wouldn’t even write me an excuse so I wouldn’t have to lift people. Said I was used to doing it and it wouldn’t hurt me. I would never ride a coaster, and most the rides listed I would not do while pregnant but that’s me. (I would ride Safari and we have taken our kids when they were about 9 months old on it). I also don’t mind if DH rides when I don’t and I enjoy rides DH doesn’t. You will get a wide range of answers on these boards ( just like ideas on taking babies to the parks and how old is too old for a stroller) but in the end you just have to do what you and DW are comfortable with and use common sense taking into consideration how she feels. I would FP rides you KNOW she can and will ride. You can always change plans later.

Thank you, very good advice.

I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant. We live in the Central Florida area and have annual passes, so skipping rides isn't that big of a deal for me. But I definitely avoid every ride with an expectant mother warning, and also avoid any ride with drops (FEA and Pirates are listed as okay but I don't want to risk it). I also had fertility issues and it took us many years to get pregnant, so it's just not worth the risk for me. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and happily skipped out on Smuggler's Run. We're doing a babymoon at the Swolphin this weekend and honestly I'm most looking forward to taking naps, lol.

I will say that the biggest issue for me going to Disney during my pregnancy hasn't been avoiding rides, but the swelling. My feet started swelling very early and being in the heat made it even worse. By the time I had to walk back to my car, I wanted to cry.

BTW, here is the list of rides to avoid from the Disney website. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/rides-for-pregnant-women/
Thank you for the official Disney list. I hope it will be early enough so that feet swelling is not an issue. I never thought about that. Our feet on typical trips hurt enough with the blisters and standing/walking so much as it is.
Yes - been thinking about FEA and Pirates.

Thank you for the official Disney list. I hope it will be early enough so that feet swelling is not an issue. I never thought about that. Our feet on typical trips hurt enough with the blisters and standing/walking so much as it is.
Yes - been thinking about FEA and Pirates.

I started swelling around 19 weeks, but that is unusually early. And typically around Thanksgiving it isn't too hot and humid, so hopefully she won't have the same problem. If she does, you can always rent a wheelchair! (I'm strongly considering doing that this weekend.)

We’ll have to think of things she can do while we’re on certain rides. Such as the trails at AK. Not sure what she could do at HS - maybe beauty or little mermaid.

Your wife can go through queues with the rest of the group, and simply tell each cast member that she will need to exit before riding. There's always an exit right before boarding. I wouldn't say that the queues for rides such as Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and Expedition Everest are as good as the rides, but they are worth seeing. When I was pregnant last time, I was nervous about meeting up with my husband and son after they went on a ride if I went on a different ride, so I usually waited with them, but that was my personal anxiety.

The Pangani Forest trail in AK is a good idea for while you are on the Safari (since that is long once you're on the ride), and Maharajah Jungle trail will work if she doesn't wait in line for Expedition Everest.

Hollywood Studios has several shows with seating -- you'd just need to arrange meeting times/places afterwards.

Test Track and Mission Space have interesting post-ride areas that would be easy to wait in.

In Magic Kingdom, when I didn't wait in lines for Splash, Space, and Big Thunder Mountains, I just people-watched. That was also a good time to go find a beverage to keep me hydrated (and less likely to have foot swelling).

Your wife can go through queues with the rest of the group, and simply tell each cast member that she will need to exit before riding. There's always an exit right before boarding. I wouldn't say that the queues for rides such as Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and Expedition Everest are as good as the rides, but they are worth seeing. When I was pregnant last time, I was nervous about meeting up with my husband and son after they went on a ride if I went on a different ride, so I usually waited with them, but that was my personal anxiety.

The Pangani Forest trail in AK is a good idea for while you are on the Safari (since that is long once you're on the ride), and Maharajah Jungle trail will work if she doesn't wait in line for Expedition Everest.

Hollywood Studios has several shows with seating -- you'd just need to arrange meeting times/places afterwards.

Test Track and Mission Space have interesting post-ride areas that would be easy to wait in.

In Magic Kingdom, when I didn't wait in lines for Splash, Space, and Big Thunder Mountains, I just people-watched. That was also a good time to go find a beverage to keep me hydrated (and less likely to have foot swelling).
Tomorrowland is one of the better spots to people watch IMO - she could ride the People Mover over and over while we wait for Space. She loves that ride anyhow. Or she could nap at the back of Carousel of Progress.

Little Mermaid, Beauty, Frozen would be good spots to wait at HS. It's tougher to see Indy more than once because it's not a musical. Mermaid especially has more freq. shows and it's dark if you want a quick nap, which I often do but not on purpose.

The shows at AK - other than the UP bird show can be big time commitments for waiting. Hopefully the few trails don't get too boring after repeat visits.

MK/EP have only a few no go's, or else, a ton of rides that are ok. It's really AK/HS that are nearly all no go's. But another she can do, like you said is enjoy a drink and sit. She could also go shopping, or have a book with her to read. She's a big bookworm.

I started swelling around 19 weeks, but that is unusually early. And typically around Thanksgiving it isn't too hot and humid, so hopefully she won't have the same problem. If she does, you can always rent a wheelchair! (I'm strongly considering doing that this weekend.)
she'd love the wheelchair idea. Probably shouldn't admit that late at night in the parking lots, we've occasionally pushed ea. other in wheelchairs (there were several avail. late at night) looking for our car parked super far away, with our blistered and tired feet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter