Why I Hate the DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
...for the cajun crowd.

Does anyone know what two desserts (or variations of) is most often served by fine dining establishments in the USA?? Cherries Jubilee and Banana's Foster. The later was invented in a little establishment in New Orleans who's primary menu is based on cajun and creole cuisine. This dessert was invented by the pastry chef for one of their regular customers who wanted something made with bananas. This little cajun restaurant is known as the Commander's Palace. They have won many awards and commendations in the culinary world:

http://www.commanderspalace.com/new_orleans/awards.php

So, do you still think cajun is lowland food??? This proves cajun can be fine dining too!

Touche!

:thumbsup2

Anybody remember K Paul's Louisiana Kitchen with the drinks in mason jars? Chef Paul Prudhomme was my kind of guy...don't know if that's considered "gourmet" food or not...but I love eating in New Orleans.

Want a little bit of heaven? Bananas Foster at Brennan's in N'awlins (as in "breakfast at Brennan's"). Brennan's isn't our favorite, but for this particular dessert, it's an art form. I may have had the very best meal of my life at Commander's Palace, though, on one fondly-remembered anniversary.

Don't go dissin' my New Orleans groceries. ;) And, it wouldn't hurt to make some distinctions between cajun and creole food, either.

Oh, yeah, the DDP. We like it, and it serves our needs well. Note that WE don't serve IT. It's just a tool, a helpful one for us, but not for everyone.

It just occured to me that most of us are long-time Disney veterans. I can assure you that over the last 30+ years, I've seen many, many changes. Whether they were good or bad personally for my family and me should be of little importance to anyone else.

I'm just reminding myself that what is a "habit" for me is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for others. I imagine there are folks I smile and nod to in the parks who have saved literally years for their vacation, and know that odds are they'll never be able to come back. So, they've managed to stay on property, have come up with money for tickets that would relieve the debt of a third-world country, and face the prospect of eating crackers for breakfast, drinking water for lunch, and swelling up for dinner.

But, they learn of the DDP. And they are amazed that they are going to not only eat, but eat well, and heartily, at restaurants that are like a fantasy to them. And they plan - because they've been planning for years already, right? - and they are so excited that they make their reservations just as soon as they're allowed to. And finally they come to Disney, and are blinded by pixie dust. They experience more wonders than their minds can take in. Their vacation unfolds like a flower, and goes without a hitch. They marvel at what they're privileged to eat, and return to their rooms feeling that they've experienced that rarest of all things Disney - a bargain.

So I can carp and whine and moan that my experience just wasn't the same as I had six months ago. And that is my right. But that right, for me, is tempered just a little by the realization that sitting at the table next to me is a family whose dreams have just come true.

Want a little bit of heaven? Bananas Foster at Brennan's in N'awlins (as in "breakfast at Brennan's"). Brennan's isn't our favorite, but for this particular dessert, it's an art form. I may have had the very best meal of my life at Commander's Palace, though, on one fondly-remembered anniversary.

Don't go dissin' my New Orleans groceries. ;) And, it wouldn't hurt to make some distinctions between cajun and creole food, either.

Oh, yeah, the DDP. We like it, and it serves our needs well. Note that WE don't serve IT. It's just a tool, a helpful one for us, but not for everyone.

It just occured to me that most of us are long-time Disney veterans. I can assure you that over the last 30+ years, I've seen many, many changes. Whether they were good or bad personally for my family and me should be of little importance to anyone else.

I'm just reminding myself that what is a "habit" for me is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for others. I imagine there are folks I smile and nod to in the parks who have saved literally years for their vacation, and know that odds are they'll never be able to come back. So, they've managed to stay on property, have come up with money for tickets that would relieve the debt of a third-world country, and face the prospect of eating crackers for breakfast, drinking water for lunch, and swelling up for dinner.

But, they learn of the DDP. And they are amazed that they are going to not only eat, but eat well, and heartily, at restaurants that are like a fantasy to them. And they plan - because they've been planning for years already, right? - and they are so excited that they make their reservations just as soon as they're allowed to. And finally they come to Disney, and are blinded by pixie dust. They experience more wonders than their minds can take in. Their vacation unfolds like a flower, and goes without a hitch. They marvel at what they're privileged to eat, and return to their rooms feeling that they've experienced that rarest of all things Disney - a bargain.

So I can carp and whine and moan that my experience just wasn't the same as I had six months ago. And that is my right. But that right, for me, is tempered just a little by the realization that sitting at the table next to me is a family whose dreams have just come true.

Here! Here! Dreamfinder2 :cool1: I couldn't have said it better myself! :thumbsup2

The Brennan's have put your groceries on the map!! If I am not mistaken, the chef that created Banana's Foster actually originated it at Brennan's and took it over to their other place The Commander's Palace. They are a force in the world of fine dining.

As for the difference between cajun and creole, it can be summed up by saying the cajun slaves who worked in the kitchens of the Louisianna aristocrats infused their culinary practices with classic French training to create a completely different dining experience for the people they served. It was cajun seasonings, vegetables and proteins combined with butter, wine and cream.....how could you go wrong! :cool1: I know the differences are slightly more complex, but in a nutshell this is it.

I like the way you say things......you seem wise!! I am with you about the family that comes for the only visit to WDW they may ever get. It was not too long ago my family could not afford the trip, but God has blessed us with the ability to go every year (sometimes twice) now. I will always think DDP is great since it does open the possiblility for many to have a full Disney experience on their trip. I never want to forget when I could not afford it!!!

WAIT A MINUTE!!! Someone is bashing Cajun Food?! :eek: Bashing the Dining plan is one thing but don't mess with MY ROOTS!!!! I'm going back & read this thread, to find out what's been said. I may have to drag all of my NOLA thread friends over here if our food is being bashed!!;)

You know, after this post, I am not sure if anything else needs to be said. :goodvibes

....a Navy Brat here!!! Dad was a 20 year man and we traveled and learned to appreciate food from every end of the gamut. It's funny how foods (polenta, grits, organ meats, etc.) which were one time considered to be fit only for servants and poor folks now gets center of the plate treatment at many 5 star establishments. But hey, what do I know; I',m nobody important!

My Dad retired after 30 years here, by the time I was born he was an officer and I have dined at my share of high end establishments with all the "fine cuisine" that they serve. And I am not talking about mongolian BBQ night at the O Club. But the better places I found were off the beaten path. My all time favorite is the Farmers Market on Guam. Love that red rice.

Don't guess Disney has Chamorro food, do they? That would be really sweet!

Y'all are awfully gracious. Wise? Not really. But, I do try to be an astute judge of human nature. I know all of the folks on DIS bring all sorts of expectations, desires, and even demands to the (literal) table.

I'm just trying to gain some perspective on all this. As I posted on some thread somewhere (?!), the reason we're so adverse to change is because all change involves an element of loss. Even in those really terrific changes - say, getting married to the person of your dreams - you lose a certain amount of freedom. So Disney changes are no different ... with every change, we lose a little, but my experience is that I often gain much, much more.

Walt Disney World does not revolve around me. For every perceived want or need I have, I have to remember that WDW doesn't exist just to please me. With every face I see, I know that there are other expectations, other desires, other dreams being realized in our bright scrubbed, morning world. They may not be the same as mine. And that is perfectly fine with me. I would be a Scrooge indeed to want to claim the magic as uniquely mine.

It's true with attractions, true with lodging, true with dining. The last chapter of WDW dining in general, and the DDP in particular, has not been written.

Finally, regarding bananas Foster ... the rest of the story. (And I'll post Brennan's recipe in the appropriate place - it's actually easy to prepare!)

In the 1950's, New Orleans was the major port of entry for bananas shipped from Central and South America. Owen Edward Brennan challenged his talented chef, Paul Blangé, to include bananas in a new culinary creation - Owen's way of promoting the imported fruit. Simultaneously, Holiday Magazine had asked Owen to provide a new recipe to appear in a feature article on Brennan's.

In 1951, Chef Paul created Bananas Foster. The scrumptious dessert was named for Richard Foster, who, as chairman, served with Owen on the New Orleans Crime Commission, a civic effort to clean up the French Quarter. Richard Foster, owner of the Foster Awning Company, was a frequent customer of Brennan's and a very good friend of Owen.

Little did anyone realize that Bananas Foster would become an international favorite and is the most requested item on the restaurant's menu. Thirty-five thousand pounds of bananas are flamed each year at Brennan's in the preparation of its world-famous dessert.

There y'are!

I second that! ::yes::

...i would like to "third" that...with this story.... I have a dear friend that told me that as a little girl....she watched the "Walt Disney Show"...like so many of us did. And she was amazed at all of the pictures of the people in Disneyland at Christmas time. She was physically and sexually abused as a child...and had been passed around from family to family....house to house in the foster-care system. Recently, she has some stability in her life...and has a little daughter of her own. This past Christmas, she and her husband and her little daughter...(who is disabled)...spent their Christmas at DisneyWorld....and they were blessed. She felt like somebody must have been listening to her heart...when, as a little girl...she had wished that ...she, too....could be there at Disneyland. (and by the way....THEY ENJOYED the DDP....lol:rotfl: )
.....We spend more on 1 day on our vacation....than some families have for their yearly income in some 3rd world countries...we are blessed beyond measure....that's for sure.....

Finally, regarding bananas Foster ... the rest of the story. (And I'll post Brennan's recipe in the appropriate place - it's actually easy to prepare!)

In the 1950's, New Orleans was the major port of entry for bananas shipped from Central and South America. Owen Edward Brennan challenged his talented chef, Paul Blangé, to include bananas in a new culinary creation - Owen's way of promoting the imported fruit. Simultaneously, Holiday Magazine had asked Owen to provide a new recipe to appear in a feature article on Brennan's.

In 1951, Chef Paul created Bananas Foster. The scrumptious dessert was named for Richard Foster, who, as chairman, served with Owen on the New Orleans Crime Commission, a civic effort to clean up the French Quarter. Richard Foster, owner of the Foster Awning Company, was a frequent customer of Brennan's and a very good friend of Owen.

Little did anyone realize that Bananas Foster would become an international favorite and is the most requested item on the restaurant's menu. Thirty-five thousand pounds of bananas are flamed each year at Brennan's in the preparation of its world-famous dessert.

There y'are!

Yes, it is easy to prepare, and it is delicious. Thanks for the details on it's creation. It has been years since I read about the dessert's history and needed the refresher.

i have to admit I have never used the dinning deal until this upcoming trip and although I hate to plan 90 days in advance in this case it was a blessing. I have a party of 15 coming . yes this will be a family reunion and it was by accident. My daughter made her reservation 6 months ago, My oldest son had planned to go the end of Sept, they got together and made us (mom& dad} reservations then they convinced my other son to bring his family. so in the past month everyone decided to make the trip. There is no way we could have had our meals together at night it we had not had the dinning plan. As it is we will all eat at least one meal together every day.can anyone think what it would have been like if you walked up and told the hostess there were 15 of you.
Kitty

Yes, I could not add anything more! :thumbsup2 I could not possible be more eloquent in defending our heritage & cuisine than the three of you!

Just a big THANK YOU :thanks: to these guys from Cajun & Creole Country!!! apostolic4life, Dreamfinder2, drakethib,:worship:

Now my questions: What makes you the self annointed expert on fine cuisine? What qualifications do you possess to make such judgments about the culinary world's established standards? What culinary experience, culinary schooling or culinary training do you have? :rolleyes1

We are still waiting I see. I too would like those questions answered. By the way I love cajun food. Those spices can sometimes open the sinuses.:rotfl2:

We are still waiting I see. I too would like those questions answered. By the way I love cajun food. Those spices can sometimes open the sinuses.:rotfl2:

Yes I would like to have that answered too. The poster must have some other expertise that we are all unaware of. :confused3 I hardly think dining in two of Emeril Lagasse restaurants in VEGAS qualifies one as an expert on Cajun or Creole Food! :confused:

Yes I would like to have that answered too. The poster must have some other expertise that we are all unaware of. :confused3 I hardly think dining in two of Emeril Lagasse restaurants in VEGAS qualifies one as an expert on Cajun or Creole Food! :confused:
Perhaps you should read my entire quote...Rude doesn't get many questions answered.
I have been fortunate enough to have traveled to well known restaurants around the world. Some of my favorite have been hidden gems that are not on the world supermap of locations. I also have spent many week-ends at CIA (they have great weekend courses on many subjects...sauces, Asian etc). My last cooking adventure was in Italy almost a year ago for 10 days. Dining/cooking is a hobby as I think it is for many of us on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter