Why I Hate the DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

southjerseymom

DIS Veteran
Just got back last week from 7 nights at POR. We were not on the dining plan. I understand that it is a good deal but we don't like to be that structured in our trips. We had some ADR's and kept most of them (making sure to cancel when we knew we wouldn't make it!). We are not head over heels about Disney food so we plan a couple things we like to do and then wing it after that. Now why I hate the DDP:
I think that some folks make multiple ADR's and don't keep a lot of them. Does Disney check out who might have overlapping ADR's? When we used to go to WDW before DDP you could call in the morning or go to guest services and find somewhere to eat. Now they say everything is booked and they have nothing more for that evening. (I tried to get Chef Mickey's every breakfast and dinner of our trip for 2 weeks before and every day during the trip. No dice) I used to manage busy restaurants and we always held out a couple of tables every hour for walkins. That way we wouldn't lose money if people didn't show It just seems to me that there should be a way to accomodate the people who keep their reservations and make room for a couple of spur of the moment. Mostly thought I think people need to CANCEL their ADR's when they are not going to use them!!!
I think the the price of the food have gone up. Every sandwich seems to be $1.50 to @ $2.00 more. Kind of felt like Disney was sticking it to us out of pocket people. We didn't eat any differently than we have on previous trips (actually I think we at more inexpensive places than before) and our bill was a good 15%-20% higher. Way more than can be attributed to inflation or rising food costs.
Service has suffered. I really think that the service we received was consistently less that stellar - even in the pricier places. If you have servers making consistent money because they are guaranteed a certain amount off of every DP patron - they really couldn't give a hoot about a table of "out of pockets" - they have already made their money. (Believe me I know....I was a server for a long time....take away the incentive for good service and I would be cranky too!!)
Lastly, DDP makes the lines horrendous. Nobody has any idea what is included. It was a hoot to watch "first dayers" get to the register and just stand there waiting for someone to tell them if they had the right stuff. I'm not knocking people - but I came to recognize the "look" and jump to another line.
One of my biggest objections to the DDP for my family is I don't want to waste every night with a sit down dinner. I know you can "save up" for signature dinners and that is probably what I will do. Yes, I can't fight Disney...if we go back I guess I will have to get the DDP. The rising prices, cranky servers, and no available reservations beat me up this trip.

Oh my! Why the hostility? I was on the DDP last month and I did not hold up any lines. However, I did see people that were not on the plan holding up lines. I guess you have a right to your opinion. It sounds like you are just upset because you couldn't get your adr at CM. I made all of my adrs 5 months in advance. I guess maybe you should have too lol:goodvibes . I have some friends that have went several times without the dining plan and did not have the experiences that you have had. They did not have bad service or anything different than we did on the plan. I have heard just the opposite on this board too. I have read other people saying that if you are on the plan, then you get worse service. I think honestly, the service is just the luck of the draw sometimes. I am sorry you feel this way. I think the DDP is wonderful! It saved us over 500.00 over 9 days. I will use it again. Maybe you should try it.:thumbsup2

And thus begins another 'DDP is great' vs. 'DDP is horrible' debate.

You can see from my signature that I am a frequent WDW visitor. However, I can never see me getting the DDP. DW and I simply don't eat that much food money wise, and we don't like tieing ourselves to WDW restaurants. Many's the night we have found refuge from the WDW crowds at the Denny's right outside Hotel Plaza Blvd.

But I can also see how it can save people money if money is not an option, they have a large group that loves to eat (or splurge on what they eat).

Does it bite into some spontanaity?? Of course it does. If I was OP, I would be upset too. As much as I plan my trips, I do not like having to pin my meals down months in advance.

As far as the degradation of service, I don't know if it can be scientifically proven the DDP has had as massive an effect. The only terrible serving incident DW and I have ever had was pre DDP, and what happened fit the DDP complaints perfectly. Service unfortunately today is hit or miss. I'd like to think it's more hit than miss at WDW, but that is one man's opinion.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Now let the pro vs. con debate begin...........................popcorn::

I like Devil do not like to have to make dining plans 180 days in advance, however because of the popularity of the DDP had to do so. I figure if you can't beat them join them. My trip in Sept will be the first time I have ever used the dinning plan. I am very excited and can't wait to try different restaurants that I would never have been able to afford if not for the DDP. :goodvibes

I like Devil do not like to have to make dining plans 180 days in advance, however because of the popularity of the DDP had to do so. I figure if you can't beat them join them. My trip in Sept will be the first time I have ever used the dinning plan. I am very excited and can't wait to try different restaurants that I would never have been able to afford if not for the DDP. :goodvibes

This is the right attitude! Everyone has different opinions. Wouldn't life be boring if we all thought the same way?

I agree that the DDP has made it harder to get last minute ADR's while in WDW, because it's not fair to those that don't like to plan every meal for everyday at 180 days out.

Just got back last week from 7 nights at POR. We were not on the dining plan. I understand that it is a good deal but we don't like to be that structured in our trips. We had some ADR's and kept most of them (making sure to cancel when we knew we wouldn't make it!). We are not head over heels about Disney food so we plan a couple things we like to do and then wing it after that. Now why I hate the DDP:
I think that some folks make multiple ADR's and don't keep a lot of them. Does Disney check out who might have overlapping ADR's? When we used to go to WDW before DDP you could call in the morning or go to guest services and find somewhere to eat. Now they say everything is booked and they have nothing more for that evening. (I tried to get Chef Mickey's every breakfast and dinner of our trip for 2 weeks before and every day during the trip. No dice) I used to manage busy restaurants and we always held out a couple of tables every hour for walkins. That way we wouldn't lose money if people didn't show It just seems to me that there should be a way to accomodate the people who keep their reservations and make room for a couple of spur of the moment. Mostly thought I think people need to CANCEL their ADR's when they are not going to use them!!!
I think the the price of the food have gone up. Every sandwich seems to be $1.50 to @ $2.00 more. Kind of felt like Disney was sticking it to us out of pocket people. We didn't eat any differently than we have on previous trips (actually I think we at more inexpensive places than before) and our bill was a good 15%-20% higher. Way more than can be attributed to inflation or rising food costs.
Service has suffered. I really think that the service we received was consistently less that stellar - even in the pricier places. If you have servers making consistent money because they are guaranteed a certain amount off of every DP patron - they really couldn't give a hoot about a table of "out of pockets" - they have already made their money. (Believe me I know....I was a server for a long time....take away the incentive for good service and I would be cranky too!!)
Lastly, DDP makes the lines horrendous. Nobody has any idea what is included. It was a hoot to watch "first dayers" get to the register and just stand there waiting for someone to tell them if they had the right stuff. I'm not knocking people - but I came to recognize the "look" and jump to another line.
One of my biggest objections to the DDP for my family is I don't want to waste every night with a sit down dinner. I know you can "save up" for signature dinners and that is probably what I will do. Yes, I can't fight Disney...if we go back I guess I will have to get the DDP. The rising prices, cranky servers, and no available reservations beat me up this trip.
Perfectly said....prices for out of pocket people have gone up so we can help pay for the DDP (not to mention free dining)...fair no but is it filling the restaurants? yes! People hold their breathe for months to get those ADRs in once they hit 180 days...forget about taking a last minute trip and expecting to eat.
We will never do the DDP and as long as it exists service will be poor and food quality will continue to go down the tubes......I hope you wore you hazmat suit after your post...Good Luck!

I did not mean to sound "hostile" about the folks on the DDP and I am sorry if my post made it seem so! Holding or not holding up the line was not really my focus and it was more of an aside to the greater problems ie. no reservations available, no cancellation of reservations, rise in price of out of pocket meals. I am thrilled when I read a post where everyone has their ressies in place months ahead of time....I would just like a little consideration if I don't desire to plan so extensively for my own vacation. There should be room at the "table" for all of us!

I have always thought it would be fair for the table service restaurants to hold back just 2 or 3 tables maximum for guests wanting to come in as walk-ins. This way they don't have to turn away every guest who does not have ADR's and once those tables are filled, if they need to turn other guests away that's fine because they still saved a very small number for walk-in guests.

We have always liked to do at least one sit down meal per day. I can see with our upcoming trip that this isn't the case with most people, and since the dining plan is free in September, getting ADR's has been nearly impossible. We have some decent ones, but in previous trips, I've always gotten *exactly* what we wanted. It stinks for us because we were always willing to eat at these places even when we had to pay for it! We've never done DDP before (free or otherwise), so this should be interesting.

While I am certainly not trying to upset anyone, I think it is hard to know if there are tables saved whether 2 or 10 for the night for those that don't want to plan in advance (there is nothing wrong with spontaneity BTW IMHO). But, if there are 2 or 10 couples/families/people that all think the same way then there cannot possibly be enough tables for everyone.

While I am certainly not trying to upset anyone, I think it is hard to know if there are tables saved whether 2 or 10 for the night for those that don't want to plan in advance (there is nothing wrong with spontaneity BTW IMHO). But, if there are 2 or 10 couples/families/people that all think the same way then there cannot possibly be enough tables for everyone.
If WDW were to ever do that with their table service restaurants, then my suggestion is for them to pick a number of tables to set aside and make it 1st come 1st serve to who ever gets there 1st. If no one has come in at a certin time as a walk-in, then those tables can be used for guests with ADR's.

I guess that I can understand the frustration with people that do not like to plan that far in advance, but that is just the way it seems to be. When we were there last month, I saw them taking walk ups almost every place we were, even LeCellier. I guess it may depend on when you want to eat or when you go to WDW.

As far as overlapping ADR's I know that when I called to switch an ADR when we had the new one booked I said now I need to cancel the ADR I had for that night the CM said it was already canceled. She said the computer will not allow you to have more than one ADR,per phone number, at the same time slot.

Appologies to all I will be a newby on the DDP:scared1: So from May 26-Jun 2 if there is a line at a CS look at the front it will probably be me ;)

As far as overlapping ADR's I know that when I called to switch an ADR when we had the new one booked I said now I need to cancel the ADR I had for that night the CM said it was already canceled. She said the computer will not allow you to have more than one ADR,per phone number, at the same time slot.

Appologies to all I will be a newby on the DDP:scared1: So from May 26-Jun 2 if there is a line at a CS look at the front it will probably be me ;)

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:

The bottom line is that the parks are more crowded in general. Disney began a huge marketing campaign with the 50th anniversary of Disneyland and it has worked wonderfully. The DDP is only one of many things they have done to enhance their product. I see that picture of the mom and dad booking their $1600 WDW weeklong trip while the kids are awakened by pixie dust and the thundering hooves of Cinderella's carriage, every time I watch tv. If I am seeing it, so are millions of other people. So its not just the DDP that is making the restaurants more crowded but just the increased patronage in general.

And Disneyland which does not have a DDP or anywhere near the full service restaurants that WDW is somewhat the same way. Its getting harder to walk in to restaurants you used to be able to because of the high number of park attendees. The resorts are sold out all the time. So again, its an increased overall patronage thing, not just a DDP thing.

As for the DDP folks making those ADR's in advance and ruining the spontanaeity of the non DDPlanners, that is sad but to be expected. The DDP folks have paid for their meals before they ever arrived to WDW (unless they are DVC). You prepay your resort much of the time, wouldn't it be sort of dumb to do that but not make a resort reservation, and then randomly go from resort to resort hoping to find a room? And in addition to the DDP, WDW also has the Disney Dining Experience Card. Which roughly gives you the same savings on full service dining if you are an AP holder. So the AP holders are also eating full service a lot more since they have the savings card which makes its such a good deal. I never see posts saying "I hate DDE card holders and what they have done to WDW dining".

I am sorry the OP had this experience and they aren't the only ones. But in the end as someone else said, if you can't beat them, join them. And do it 180 days out!

P.S. I have also found that when I change an ADR, the first one is automatically cancelled. So overlapping is going away as much as dining by the seat of your pants is.

And in addition to the DDP, WDW also has the Disney Dining Experience Card. Which roughly gives you the same savings on full service dining if you are an AP holder. So the AP holders are also eating full service a lot more since they have the savings card which makes its such a good deal. I never see posts saying "I hate DDE card holders and what they have done to WDW dining".

Very VERY good point. Another thing we don't see, is people bashing AP holders or FL residents and blaming the resorts price increases on the AP/FL discounts. After all you can save $100 a night for a Deluxe with those discounts. That money has to come back to Disney's pockets somehow and who do you think is going to pay ? The "masses". Yet I don't see anyone complaining about "having to pay more to make up for the AP discounts".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter