Why did Disney stop televising their Happy Easter Parades?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
My mom and I got to view some past recordings of the Walt Disney Happy Easter Parade on Youtube and it got me to thinking that ABC should bring these parades back as an Easter tradition and I wonder why Disney quit televising them? Because it seems odd that the only Disney parade shown on TV on ABC is their Christmas parade so why did they stop televising the Happy Easter Parade? I think ABC really should air them on Easter every year

I had an interesting conversation with my dad about this and he agrees with me that ABC should revive the Walt Disney Happy Easter Parades because in my dad's eyes he thought ABC stopped televising them because of how much money it cost Disney to do and produce. But I think during the time that Roy E. Disney was alive and Michael Eisner was CEO of Disney he thought he could ask Michael Eisner to ask ABC for ideas to televise their parades and the Happy Easter Parade was his chance to improve it. But it's hard to believe that the only surviving Disney TV parade on ABC now is the Disney Christmas Parade and I think ABC should bring the Happy Easter Parade back to TV because it was an Easter tradition for families to watch. But I also think what caused the death of Disney's Happy Easter Parade was the cost of sponsorship plugs because every Easter Parade was sponsored by Johnson & Johnson and the Orlando Tourism Board and rarely you saw Nabisco Teddy Grahams and Tylenol sponsor the parades. But no longer televising the Easter Parades on ABC was a big mistake for Disney to do

This is where I think Disney marketing really fails—the parades and other content that show the park itself are a really opportunity to get people to see what they are missing. They should be televised. And, they should be recording more park content for Disney+. I would love to see some of the older fireworks shows on Disney+. Sadly, I have to watch jittery versions that someone made with a crappy phone on YouTube.

Money. They still broadcast the Ten Commandments, so it’s not a religious objection. It’s very likely that DPEP was paying for that spot on ABC as sort of an infomercial or at least sharing the cost.

@DodgerGirl I agree, I wish they would bring back the Easter parade, and televise it.

In 1991 my cousin was visiting us in Florida during his spring break. We went to MK and happened to catch the Easter parade that was being filmed a few days early, in case it rained out the one on Easter Sunday. Well sure enough, it rained on Easter and they televised the one that we saw. We could see ourselves in the crowd!

So, thinking that the cost of filming two parades, one being live, was just too much.

@DodgerGirl I agree, I wish they would bring back the Easter parade, and televise it.

In 1991 my cousin was visiting us in Florida during his spring break. We went to MK and happened to catch the Easter parade that was being filmed a few days early, in case it rained out the one on Easter Sunday. Well sure enough, it rained on Easter and they televised the one that we saw. We could see ourselves in the crowd!

So, thinking that the cost of filming two parades, one being live, was just too much.
Was that the Easter Parade that had Robby Benson as co-host along with Joan Lunden and Regis Philbin? I remember seeing that parade as the first one I recorded and it was fun to see on TV

Possibly? That sounds familiar. My
Mom has it on VHS. I’ll look it up next time I visit her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter