Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

Cheater...and cheap...

No wonder you got such a large rig to go camping in. Heck, YOU should be the one taking the ladies shopping.

I like Pirates Adventure golf myself, you can drop me off there.

Yea it should help, I hate it but you can't stop progress. I agree the traffic is really bad on Canal Rd. especially with a camper. I turn off the Beach Express before the toll bridge and cut down Roscoe rd. to Cotton Creek rd, it cuts over to Hwy 59 and head south til the turn to GSP by the Walmart, I'm too cheap to pay the toll. I know I know I'm cheap!

I take the same route Randy.

Yea it should help, I hate it but you can't stop progress. I agree the traffic is really bad on Canal Rd. especially with a camper. I turn off the Beach Express before the toll bridge and cut down Roscoe rd. to Cotton Creek rd, it cuts over to Hwy 59 and head south til the turn to GSP by the Walmart, I'm too cheap to pay the toll. I know I know I'm cheap!

Yeah, but when camping in Meridian you still take Causeyville Road to 22nd Ave Heights (know as "The Hood") and down James E. Chaney Drive (know as "The Demilitarized Zone"):rolleyes:

I still don't know how you managed to get that rig through there...with the A/C and tires still on it...and no bullet holes...

I take the same route Randy.

That makes three of us..

Hey now I don't feel so bad now haha!

Well, glad I'm helping pay for it...:jester:

I'm glad your taking up our slack Tiggerdad, I told Ed you're good people! Haha!

Yeah, but when camping in Meridian you still take Causeyville Road to 22nd Ave Heights (know as "The Hood") and down James E. Chaney Drive (know as "The Demilitarized Zone"):rolleyes:

I still don't know how you managed to get that rig through there...with the A/C and tires still on it...and no bullet holes...

"The Hood" is a understatement!! I don't know how I made it down through there either! Of course there isn't too much the Snowman can't handle haha! I'm just glad you gave me the right directions! I won't make that mistake on our next trip!

My tip of the day is never follow the Google Map app when you're towing your camper, even a pop up or a Aliner!

That makes three of us....
How much is the toll on that bridge? The article said $3.50, but I'm guessing that's for a car, no trailer. A few bucks is worth it to me if it shaves some time or keeps me on better roads. But the article said Canal Rd (I assume what Google Maps is calling Alabama's Coastal Connection) was a traffic mess, at least towards Orange Beach.

I barely remember that road when I was down 8 years ago. I know the Wharf had just opened and I took some back road up to the outlet mall. Maybe the bypass and bridge weren't even open then.

j

Toll starts at $3.50 and goes up a dollar per axle. So a truck and standard camper is $5.50 for 4 axles. Canal road runs in front of the Wharf and runs East and West. If you know the turns the route around is great. They just widened Cotton Creek Rd. There are only two turns then you're on Hwy 59. Turn on Bradford Rd from the Beach Xpress. Then left onto Roscoe Rd then Right onto Cotton Creek. If you only want one turn try Baldwin Co Rd 8.

a truck and standard camper is $5.50 for 4 axles. Canal road runs in front of the Wharf and runs East and West.
OK,

$5.50 isn't too bad as long as Canal Rd really is easier or saves time. And it looks like Google Maps calls Canal Rd, either 180 or Alabama's Coastal Connection.

Either way, is going over to 59 any easier? Doesn't look like it would save time unless Canal Rd is a mess. Corners don't bother me with my 5th wheel. Remember I used to tow this 48 ft of fun all over the country.

IMG_20110608_173516.jpg

I have never seen anything but great traffic on Canal Road. Last year we had to leave on Memorial Day to come home a few days so the "Boss" could work. Canal Road was no trouble.

You'll make a right on canal after the toll bridge. Follow it to the stop sign and turn left. Tacky Jacks is right in front of you when you are sitting at the stop sign.

After you turn left you go through one, maybe two stop lights and when you come to the sharp curve to the right, just turn left into the park.

I personally despise 59 and it's several thousand stop lights. The route that "The Savers" are using only involves one or two stop lights on 59 so not that bad.

Now, if you are considering Memorial Day weekend traffic, then both will be busy. This is why I am following last years plan of coming in on Thursday May 26th which beats the crowd. Ed came in last year after Memorial Day and also avoided the mess.

Seriously it's personal preference.

Last edited:
Now, if you are considering Memorial Day weekend traffic, then both will be busy.
We will likely be coming in mid day on Saturday of Memorial weekend. I figured traveling on Saturday would be slightly better than Friday, but I'm still expecting traffic everywhere. No big deal since we are staying for a week.

I'd love to come in on Thursday before, but DS will probably have school and finals.

j

Last edited:
Okay I finally booked our site today. We decided to go back on our favorite spot 215 on Gator road. It just works better for us with the woods behind us for the dogs and closer to the pool. We booked May 27 to June 7. Unless something happens with my next job which I'm still looking for we will be there participating in the meet. On a side note I also booked a Spring Break trip back to the Fort on April 9th. Have to try and use these expensive APs somehow.

Flametamr,

Glad you are joining us. And I'm jealous of the Fort trip.

j

Okay I finally booked our site today. We decided to go back on our favorite spot 215 on Gator road. It just works better for us with the woods behind us for the dogs and closer to the pool. We booked May 27 to June 7. Unless something happens with my next job which I'm still looking for we will be there participating in the meet. On a side note I also booked a Spring Break trip back to the Fort on April 9th. Have to try and use these expensive APs somehow.

YES!
Another one to get to sit and watch back in. Since your staying on Gator Road, could you do me a favor? Give me call just before you get there so I can go over with my cooler and set up for the show...

Glad you could book it, while I hope your new job lines up nicely, I hope you don't have to cancel.

Me and flametamr are going to sneak in REAL quiet like on our check-in days, tiggerdad. Teamubr and SouthAlabama5er are right outside your front door so they may not be able to get away with it. Bama Ed

cd0REOen95sas.gif

Me and flametamr are going to sneak in REAL quiet like on our check-in days, tiggerdad. Teamubr and SouthAlabama5er are right outside your front door so they may not be able to get away with it.
You could do like this guy did that showed up at races with a group of us. He only went by "Ritchie". No idea if that was a real name or what his last name was, but there were about 10 or 15 of us that went to a lot of NASCAR races. Ritchie and his wife were from South Carolina and had this 44 ft American Dream RV. It was beautiful. Ritchie couldn't back it up... At all...

He usually arrived after the rest of us. No matter the track, he'd pull up in the middle of the road, jump out and say, "Which one of you wants to park this thing for me?" One of us would jump in, say Hi to his wife and back it into a spot for him.

Funniest part was, it was easier to park than any of the trailers I've owned. Guess parking isn't everyone's thing and I'm glad he recognized it wasn't his.

j

Last edited:
Me and flametamr are going to sneak in REAL quiet like on our check-in days, tiggerdad. Teamubr and SouthAlabama5er are right outside your front door so they may not be able to get away with it. Bama Ed

cd0REOen95sas.gif

We'll work in shifts...

You'll pull up and the site will be empty. When you start to back in...
zztop220812w.jpeg

3 dudes a watchn'

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter