Who here has done RCCL to Alaska?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
If you have gone from Seattle, even better. Our friends have just gotten to a certain level on RCCL and they want the perks.

Our DS and his family of 5 will be joining us, 21, 20, 19 are the ages of our Grands.

Can you say what you liked about RCCL’s Alaska experience. DH and I have been to Alaska on RCCL in 1994, in a smaller ship, and we visited many ports that are no longer on itinerary. It was a time when the Captain sat with guests and we had a lovely special dinner that night with complimentary photo as a souvenir, and that’s not going to happen.

So, please tell me about Alaska on RCCL in the 2020’s!

Thanks!

We did the inaugural Alaska sailing for Ovation when the Quantum class started sailing there in 2019. That ship is very well suited for the cooler weather sailings. If the weather is bad, the viewing is still possible with the Solarium and the Two70 public areas. It does have some specialty dining options over the smaller ships that do the Alaska itineraries for Royal, and has a few more activities. That might not be so important on most AK itineraries but if your friends are Diamond - Pinnacle then there might be some perks that they can take advantage of.

For us the big win was the price. We were able to do the 12 day inaugural in a Star Class Grand Loft Suite for the same price we would have paid for a 7 day DCL in a veranda. Between the added days and ports, coupled with the Star Class perks it really was an easy decision.

It will be a much different experience compared to 1994 but you seem to already understand that part. If you do one of the smaller ships, who also offer the one way that you can add the land and sea package, it might be more similar than you think.

Hi Bobbi.....two trips last year. One with the grand kids.
We were on the Quantum.....Ovation this year.
They loved it. Lots to do even for the "older" kids. They loved the excursions.
We weren't sure because they had only been to warm weather/beach cruises before.

Hi Bobbi.....two trips last year. One with the grand kids.
We were on the Quantum.....Ovation this year.
They loved it. Lots to do even for the "older" kids. They loved the excursions.
We weren't sure because they had only been to warm weather/beach cruises before.
That’s Great to know. We will have to find time to chat about it in January!

My husband and I did Radiance round-trip Vancouver last year- we enjoyed it, but if we bring our kids, we will def want one of the more kid-friendly ships

DH and I are taking the Brilliance Inside Passage out of Vancouver at the end of the month. I'll come back here to report after the trip.

We did Ovation to Alaska with a huge family group.

I was stunned at a few things.

Ovation had a great, beautiful back of the ship. Windows from the top to the bottom throughout. When we were going through some of the most beautiful parts of Alaska - they would play a virtual concert on the windows and not allow passengers to see outside.

There were fewer activities to do onboard than the Caribbean. There were legitimately times where we were bored. We cruise a lot and we actually disliked this boat the most.

The stops were all amazing.

I have to say again though - there were times that our family and the families we were traveling with were legitimately bored. Now, you could always sit out and look at the scenery and that's never a bad option but it didn't feel like a true RCCL experience.

Have done Ovation with the extended family and it was very fun. Lots of things for everyone to do. Kids and I loved the bumper cars and the Ifly. There are things to do but not as many activities like Royal Caribbean cruises. Better the Quantum class ship than the older and significantly smaller Radiance class ships. With young adults they should enjoy the variety of activities the ships offer. And if young adults are 21 and over are Diamond, they will definitely enjoy the 4 free beverages a day!

There were fewer activities to do onboard than the Caribbean. There were legitimately times where we were bored. We cruise a lot and we actually disliked this boat the most.

I have to say again though - there were times that our family and the families we were traveling with were legitimately bored. Now, you could always sit out and look at the scenery and that's never a bad option but it didn't feel like a true RCCL experience.
We previously have done Ovation in Alaska, see above post, and just did Quantum from Honolulu to Vancouver with 6 straight sea days. We have been on all but one of the Oasis class ships in the Caribbean and activities seemed very similar.

Have to ask what activities were you missing? There were multiple daily Trivia's (general, movie, music, etc.) There were generally two shows per day, one in the main theater and often one in Two70 area. Live music around the ship, outside and at least 3 different bars (Schooner, Bolero and Pub) plus events in the Music hall. There is the iFly, and Flowrider simulators, and rock climbing on the outer areas. Inside the Seaplex you had bumper cars, roller skating, soccer, Basket ball, pickleball, laser tag, even cricket on the sports court, plus pool and ping pong upstairs, as well as the video gaming area and the arcade. Movies and pools with the usual belly flop, sexy man contest were all on the itinerary. The solarium area is pretty similar. So only thing really not there is the Ice rink compared to the Oasis class but if you factor in the SeaPlex for playing and Two70 for the shows, not really much of a loss in the way of activities.

I was in Alaska last August for a land/sea trip. We started out by flying into Fairbanks and having 4 days on land before going to the Radiance in Seward. We were on the Southbound cruise and ended in Vancouver. The ports that we went to were great. The only one that really wasn't a highlight was Haines. It was our second port of that day and there really wasn't that much to do there. Most people just stayed on the ship.

Our ports were: Hubbard Glacier (didn't go close to the glacier), Juneau, Skagway, Haines, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan. Skagway and Juneau were two of my favorites. We did the White Pass Railway which was a great trip up the mountain and awesome to see the path that the gold miners took.

The Radiance was a smaller ship and the Ovation was in some of the same ports as we were, but they couldn't get into Skagway because there was a landslide that took out the bigger of the two places where ships could dock.

I will say if you are looking at doing Alaska again, add in the land portion (and do it before getting on the ship) as that was the most amazing part of the trip. We went into Denali National Park and went on the Tundra Tour that takes you into the park farther than any other person can go. We saw so many animals and we got to see Denali Mt. without any clouds. I kind of wish we had more days on land. Our group was on the go from the point we stepped foot in Alaska until we stepped onto the ship. We needed the relaxation of the ship to catch up on sleep (we were also there when it was between 17 and 20 hrs of sunlight).

Well, it’s booked. We have 5 cabins with family and friends booked on the Ovation, for August 2, 2024!

For those who have been to the Rockies and out west in Canada (e.g. Banff, Lake Louise), what did you enjoy about the Alaska scenery that you didn't otherwise see before?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter