Who’s excited about the Barbie movie?

I just got out with my mom and my daughter and liked the movie. I know many have commented that it’s not a kids movie and because of the rating they wouldn’t take. I see no issue letting an 8 year old watch this movie. There’s no sex or language. Any type of sexual innuendo would go all over their head and to be honest, there wasn’t much of that either. I guess if you find men dancing with their shirts open offensive, one might have an issue. There’s a scene where Barbara gets basically cat called by men. They might not understand the deeper meaning of women power versus man, power, or war of the sexes. I think they’ll just enjoy the colors and watching Barbie and Ken dance with their friends And as far as the final scene. I guess maybe smaller kids don’t know what a gynecologist is and if they ask what that is just say well Barbie is human now and she has all her body parts (human) and is going to the doctor. That’s simple. Or better yet maybe tell your child about “ lady doctors” that take care of lady parts because it’s probably important for a girl to learn that it’s important to take care of these parts.

I would say smaller kids probably wouldn’t comprehend the true meaning of the movie as it does get kind of deep. But I mean seriously the lion King has a PG only rating and I mean there’s murder in that one- family murder

Last edited:
I just got out with my mom and my daughter and liked the movie. I know many have commented that it’s not a kids movie and because of the rating they wouldn’t take. I see no issue letting an 8 year old watch this movie. There’s no sex or language. Any type of sexual innuendo would go all over their head and to be honest, there wasn’t much of that either. I guess if you find men dancing with their shirts open offensive, one might have an issue. There’s a scene where Barbara gets basically cat called by men. They might not understand the deeper meaning of women power versus man, power, or war of the sexes. I think they’ll just enjoy the colors and watching Barbie and Ken dance with their friends And as far as the final scene. I guess maybe smaller kids don’t know what a gynecologist is and if they ask what that is just say well Barbie is human now and she has all her body parts (human) and is going to the doctor. That’s simple. Or better yet maybe tell your child about “ lady doctors” that take care of lady parts because it’s probably important for a girl to learn that it’s important to take care of these parts.

I would say smaller kids probably wouldn’t comprehend the true meaning of the movie as it does get kind of deep. But I mean seriously the lion King has a PG only rating and I mean there’s murder in that one- family murder
Exactly! We had a few younger ones who thoroughly enjoyed the film. I'm not sure why it received a PG-13 rating either. Not one of the kiddos asked what a gynecologist was. 😏 They've gone around all day saying, "hi Barbie or hi Ken!" 💕

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy.

Just want to point out that some of us that thought it was just okay have zero issues with complex and levels. 😁😊

Have fun!
Well feel free to not be included in that group :) I didn't single anyone out. I just notice that so many people are unable (?) to catch nuance, metaphor or allusion and they miss a lot. My husband does this. We will be watching something, and he misses the pregnant pause or knowing glance that would add meaning to what just happened. He very often asks "how did you catch that, and I am all "good god man did you not see blah, blah blah". He does watch things that are very broadly drawn and obvious to me and to each their own.

I hate when movies, in which the subject matter could include kids watching, does that to get a more adult rating because the movie execs or even the writer thinks adults won't watch otherwise.

AustinTink turned me onto The Queen's Gambit. I loved it. 🥰 I was a real chess nerd in high school. The movie has some sex, foul language and other elements that could have been left out so the movie could have been for kids too, to turn them onto chess. ♟️
So take out the entire plot and have Barbie standing stiffly in the dream house changing outfits over and over, or Beth just sitting in front of a chess board? Sounds pretty snoozy to me.
My son is a film school graduate and a fan of Greta Gerwig’s work. He is seeing it tonight and will give me his take but I’m expecting similar feedback.

My DH and I got to the movies every weekend, so I had seen the Barbie trailer enough times to know it wasn’t all pink paradise. What sold me in the trailer was when it said if you love Barbie this movie is for you and if you don’t love Barbie this movie is also for you (paraphrasing).
Greta Gerwig wrote a thoughtful movie for her generation. I’d take an 8 year old to it, but she makes adult movies.

I went Saturday with DD27. I was a mom that didn’t like Barbie due to body image stuff so the opening scene hit me between the eyes, and I was hooked from there. DD loved Barbie from the second she saw her at 2 years old.

The movie was so much more than I expected. It was thoughtful, powerful, and meaningful. I was not prepared to love it so much. DD was ready to love it, the end had her in tears, and it exceeded her high expectations.

I take ‘woke’ as a compliment so I appreciated the themes and message.

a. : aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

https://www.merriam-webster.com › ...

Woke Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Exactly! We had a few younger ones who thoroughly enjoyed the film. I'm not sure why it received a PG-13 rating either. Not one of the kiddos asked what a gynecologist was. 😏 They've gone around all day saying, "hi Barbie or hi Ken!" 💕

The PG-13 is likely due to marketing, so it won't be perceived as a "kid's movie" and can gain more audience share. These days, PG can be box-office poison unless the movies is specifically designed to be a family movie or animation.

Last edited:
The PG-13 is likely due to marketing, so it won't be perceived as a "kid's movie" and can gain more audience share. These days, PG can be box-office poinson unless hte movies is specifically designed to be a family movie or animation.
I read this morning that it was due to beer and a wine glass, mention of certain body parts, etc. None of this was a blip on the kids radar.

https://www.abc4.com/news/entertainment-news/parent-watch-is-the-barbie-movie-suitable-for-kids/

I didn't love it :( I thought it was super pretty and had some hilarious moments but I didn't love it the way I thought I would -- I think I expected it to be funnier and less serious? Not sure. I'm bummed but glad I saw it.

Last edited:
The PG-13 is likely due to marketing, so it won't be perceived as a "kid's movie" and can gain more audience share. These days, PG can be box-office poinson unless hte movies is specifically designed to be a family movie or animation.

I heard it was pretty mild. Suggestive talk about body parts was part of it. The MPAA description doesn't sound like much. I remember sex scenes in PG movies in the 1980s even after the PG-13 rating was around.

TITLE: Barbie (2023)​
RATING: PG-13​
CERTIFICATE #: 54383​
REASON: Rated PG-13 for suggestive references and brief language.​
DISTRIBUTOR: Warner Bros. Pictures​

So take out the entire plot and have Barbie standing stiffly in the dream house changing outfits over and over, or Beth just sitting in front of a chess board? Sounds pretty snoozy to me.

I never said take out the entire plot. If YOU lack the imagination on how to take out certain elements, which ones to keep and still have an excellent, riveting movie, well, that's on you.

However, you do illustrate my point, that some movie studios and producers think they have to make movies with an "R" rating for those who have a failure of imagination to think that a movie with less of a rating can and will be exciting, riveting and imaginative.

Barbie broke all box office records this weekend and has already made more than the money spent making the film.

This is the number of showings for tonight at just two movie theatres here directly across the street from each other: :lmao:

Z Barbie.JPG

I was trying to get tickets for Mission Impossible for tonight and THIS is the price for a Monday night! :faint: Barbie is going for $20 per ticket.

Z MI.JPG

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CGB
No, it didn't break "all box office records". Quite a few from Disney and others had better opening weekends.

Not even close. Barely made top 20 of opening weekends.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_opening_weekend/
She didn’t mean all-time box office records. We know that. It broke two box office records…

"Barbie" didn't just break the opening weekend record for 2023; It also shattered the first-weekend record for a film directed by a woman.With $162 million in ticket sales from North American theaters.

Guys.........Mattel Creations is selling the hoodie that Ryan Gosling's Ken wears on their website and I am BEGGING on my hands and knees for my size to be restocked. I NEED this so bad.
DS found the hoodie listing on Saturday morning... every size was sold out. He stalked the site until it was restocked and he could order one! :lmao:Mr. Star Wars going crazy for a Ken hoodie!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter