Who’s excited about the Barbie movie?

My sister & I loved it - as we were watching it, we were both thinking, “I can’t wait until I can watch this again!”

I’ve read the criticisms about it being too ”woke”, &, while the movie does make a statement - actually lots of statements, neither she nor I really saw what the critics are claiming - and, just to be honest, this is coming from someone who leans conservative.

There is much in the movie about the patriarchy & the matriarchy - but there are observations & commentary on both sides, & it’s done in a gentle, humorous way. The juxtaposition of womanhood in Barbieland & womanhood in the real world was so well-done - ”Barbie has a great day every day, but Ken only has a great day if Barbie looks at him.”

(I do wish the different sides had come together just a little bit more/better in the end.)

Is it a movie for little girls? Probably not, because, while they’d love all the pink & all the wonderful Barbie sets, I don’t think they’d get any of the nuances & the very layered meanings.

And, for what it’s worth, I don’t think the movie was made for little girls - it’s not a kids’ movie. Kids can watch it, but I don’t think most of them are going to “get” the movie.

There are some totally ridiculous parts, & I thought some of the Will Ferrell parts went too long &, in the overall plot of the movie, didn’t always makes a lot of sense.

Ken & all the other Kens were awesome.

Ryan Gosling was perfection. And Margo Robbie was exquisite.

We laughed during so many different parts, & we also got teary in a few places as well.

A little bit of a spoiler - When Stereotypical Barbie realizes she had gone to the real world, not for the daughter, but for the mother, I cried.

I mean, I think the movie was really made for our generation of women. We played w/ Barbies more than our daughters ended up playing w/ Barbies… our daughters are the ones who were first told that Barbie was maybe problematic & grew up not seeing Barbie the same we did.

W/ my own daughter, she’s more interested in the Oppenheimer movie than the Barbie movie.

But our generation grew up w/ Barbie telling us we could be whoever we wanted to be - Astronaut Barbie, President Barbie, Doctor Barbie, Adventure Barbie, Teacher Barbie… and we played w/ our Barbies in lovely pink plastic dreamworlds, & we usually all played w/ lots of different Barbies & just a couple of Kens. Like the movie, Kens were secondary in our imaginative Barbie worlds. And then grew up & realized Barbie Dreamland wasn’t anywhere near reality.

“It is the best day ever. So was yesterday, & so is tomorrow, & every day from now until forever…”.

Until we grow up & realize it’s not.

And now we have our own daughters w/ whom we sometimes struggle in our relationships - us understanding our daughters & who they’re growing up to be & our daughters understanding us & who we were, are, & have become.

Just like the ghost of the Barbie creator said, “We stand still so our daughters can look back to see how far we’ve come.”

And, when the ghost of the Barbie creator took the hands of Stereotypical Barbie to show her “real life“ - all the messy, gorgeous, broken, happy, sad, triumph, tragedy, & exhilaration of real life - I cried. And one woman in our theatre openly sobbed.

“That’s life. It’s all change.”

”It’s terrifying.”

Oh, & America Ferrara’s monologue to stereotypical Barbie got a standing ovation in our theatre!

And, once we realize how things are - once we see the truth, we can’t be put back in our boxes. Loved that!

“It’s literally impossible to be a woman.”

In addition to the patriarchy/matriarchy themes, there was also a theme of discovering who you are - for both Barbie AND Ken… and not Barbie & Ken together but Barbie & Ken separately. We are enough.

“The world isn’t what I thought it was.”

“It never is.”

Soooo many different layers to the movie - even the sly asides from Helen Mirren as the narrator were perfect!

And, beyond all that, the movie is just FUN.

So much pink in our packed theatre - and so many women were dressed up in all kinds of Barbie-wear. Opening night was an event.

And, next time I see it, I’m dressing up as Weird Barbie!
Just bought tickets to see a matinee tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

My sister & I loved it - as we were watching it, we were both thinking, “I can’t wait until I can watch this again!”

I told my husband the same thing. I already want to see it again. I could have started it again as soon as the credits ended.
I’ve read the criticisms about it being too ”woke”, &, while the movie does make a statement - actually lots of statements, neither she nor I really saw what the critics are claiming - and, just to be honest, this is coming from someone who leans conservative.

There is much in the movie about the patriarchy & the matriarchy - but there are observations & commentary on both sides, & it’s done in a gentle, humorous way.

Yes, gentle is the right way to put it. It’s gentle and overwhelmingly optimistic.
And, when the ghost of the Barbie creator took the hands of Stereotypical Barbie to show her “real life“ - all the messy, gorgeous, broken, happy, sad, triumph, tragedy, & exhilaration of real life - I cried. And one woman in our theatre openly sobbed.
I was that one woman in our theater.

Why I think Warner Bros and Mattel decided to create Barbie The Movie was so they could market it for the older generation of Barbie fans and when you look at it Barbie has always attracted the adult market and when they saw that adult Barbie collectors existed Mattel created the collector division Timeless Creations in 1989. But I can say this movie has the markings of a comedy hit and I also think that they were inspired by the movie Valley Girl when Barbie The Movie was being put in production because this is what this movie essentially is but with Barbie in it. And as you know Mattel always likes to make movies based on popular doll lines and they become hits. What will be next? A Monster High movie perhaps or a Barbie The Movie II sequel

Why I think Warner Bros and Mattel decided to create Barbie The Movie was so they could market it for the older generation of Barbie fans and when you look at it Barbie has always attracted the adult market and when they saw that adult Barbie collectors existed Mattel created the collector division Timeless Creations in 1989. But I can say this movie has the markings of a comedy hit and I also think that they were inspired by the movie Valley Girl when Barbie The Movie was being put in production because this is what this movie essentially is but with Barbie in it. And as you know Mattel always likes to make movies based on popular doll lines and they become hits. What will be next? A Monster High movie perhaps or a Barbie The Movie II sequel
I’m thinking you haven’t seen the Barbie Movie, as it is nothing like Valley Girl at all (which was more based on Romeo and Juliet). The crux of Barbie is how we as younger kids were sold the fantasy that we could have everything we wanted in our lives because Barbie could be beautiful, have any occupation, wear gorgeous clothes and live a fairytale. But that in reality this isn’t true and that whilst our lives have in some ways become better, we will always be striving and that future generations will need to take up that mantle whilst recognizing the steps taken by predecessors.
Add to that gorgeous colours, adult humor and catchy music it becomes a kaleidoscope of many things. But Valley Girl it ain’t.

Although I thought it was just okay, I had it in my face yesterday that I am the absolute minority - from in the theatre on Friday to conversations on the street.

Walked into multiple conversations yesterday, where strangers were pretty well squealing about how much they loved it.

Im not sure we are always on opposite ends. I think things often come across more black and white on a message board. I have no problem with different issues being the focal point in films etc. My beef is when EVERYTHING has to advocate for a social issue…particularly when it goes overboard and to the extreme. I believe many folks shut down at that point. Besides sometimes being lighthearted is what we need. Laughter is good for the soul!
What would be the absolute best is if you just loved the movie. 😁🤭

When is the party? With all that fun going on not sure it even matters. Insert big wink.

Enjoy. 🤗

What would be the absolute best is if you just loved the movie. 😁🤭

When is the party? With all that fun going on not sure it even matters. Insert big wink.

Enjoy. 🤗
It’s today! 💕I’m sure it will be a blast even if some comments make me :rolleyes:

There is much in the movie about the patriarchy & the matriarchy - but there are observations & commentary on both sides, & it’s done in a gentle, humorous way. The juxtaposition of womanhood in Barbieland & womanhood in the real world was so well-done - ”Barbie has a great day every day, but Ken only has a great day if Barbie looks at him.”

(I do wish the different sides had come together just a little bit more/better in the end.)

Is it a movie for little girls? Probably not, because, while they’d love all the pink & all the wonderful Barbie sets, I don’t think they’d get any of the nuances & the very layered meanings.

And, for what it’s worth, I don’t think the movie was made for little girls - it’s not a kids’ movie. Kids can watch it, but I don’t think most of them are going to “get” the movie.

There are some totally ridiculous parts, & I thought some of the Will Ferrell parts went too long &, in the overall plot of the movie, didn’t always make a lot of sense.

Ken & all the other Kens were awesome.

Ryan Gosling was perfection. And Margo Robbie was exquisite.

We laughed during so many different parts, & we also got teary in a few places as well.

A little bit of a spoiler - When Stereotypical Barbie realizes she had gone to the real world, not for the daughter, but for the mother, I cried.

I mean, I think the movie was really made for our generation of women. We played w/ Barbies more than our daughters ended up playing w/ Barbies… our daughters are the ones who were first told that Barbie was maybe problematic & grew up not seeing Barbie the same we did.

W/ my own daughter, she’s more interested in the Oppenheimer movie than the Barbie movie.

But our generation grew up w/ Barbie telling us we could be whoever we wanted to be - Astronaut Barbie, President Barbie, Doctor Barbie, Adventure Barbie, Teacher Barbie… and we played w/ our Barbies in lovely pink plastic dreamworlds, & we usually all played w/ lots of different Barbies & just a couple of Kens. Like the movie, Kens were secondary in our imaginative Barbie worlds. And then grew up & realized Barbie Dreamland wasn’t anywhere near reality.

“It is the best day ever. So was yesterday, & so is tomorrow, & every day from now until forever…”.

Until we grow up & realize it’s not.

And now we have our own daughters w/ whom we sometimes struggle in our relationships - us understanding our daughters & who they’re growing up to be & our daughters understanding us & who we were, are, & have become.

Just like the ghost of the Barbie creator said, “We stand still so our daughters can look back to see how far we’ve come.”

“That’s life. It’s all change.”

”It’s terrifying.”

Oh, & America Ferrara’s monologue to stereotypical Barbie got a standing ovation in our theatre!

And, once we realize how things are - once we see the truth, we can’t be put back in our boxes. Loved that!

“It’s literally impossible to be a woman.”

In addition to the patriarchy/matriarchy themes, there was also a theme of discovering who you are - for both Barbie AND Ken… and not Barbie & Ken together but Barbie & Ken separately. We are enough.

“The world isn’t what I thought it was.”

“It never is.”

Soooo many different layers to the movie - even the sly asides from Helen Mirren as the narrator were perfect!

And, beyond all that, the movie is just FUN.

So much pink in our packed theatre - and so many women were dressed up in all kinds of Barbie-wear. Opening night was an event.

And, next time I see it, I’m dressing up as Weird Barbie!
Thank you for your perspective and review. I teared up while reading, and you’ve cemented my waffling back and forth on whether or not to see the movie. I’m going and bringing tissues!! 🩷

I’m thinking you haven’t seen the Barbie Movie, as it is nothing like Valley Girl at all (which was more based on Romeo and Juliet). The crux of Barbie is how we as younger kids were sold the fantasy that we could have everything we wanted in our lives because Barbie could be beautiful, have any occupation, wear gorgeous clothes and live a fairytale. But that in reality this isn’t true and that whilst our lives have in some ways become better, we will always be striving and that future generations will need to take up that mantle whilst recognizing the steps taken by predecessors.
Add to that gorgeous colours, adult humor and catchy music it becomes a kaleidoscope of many things. But Valley Girl it ain’t.
I love when people are so wrong about what a movie is really "about." I remember when Risky Business came out, and everyone was calling it a brainer-than-usual teen sex comedy, which it was, but underneath was one of the most nihilistic and pessimistic takedowns of capitalism and the American Dream.

This is Mattels first movie, next is Hot Wheels

Wrong movie! :laughing:
Don’t look at me, I’m not the one who originally compared Barbie to Valley Girl.

Side note: I watched Valley Girl the other night. What a blast from the past. I was a tween when it came out and loved it. Looking at it now… yowza! 80’s movies had all kinds of “problematic” scenes. Today’s movies are so tame in comparison.

We just saw Barbie. It was Fantastic!💕 I think they struck a perfect balance. Lots of laughter from the young and old. Ryan Gosling was perfection!🤩

How did your party go? Did your friends agree with you about the movie?

Taking DD to DS on Tuesday during our trip to beat the heat for a bit.

To some, the only way they wouldn’t deem this movie as “woke” is if Barbie was a stay-at-home wife with homeschooled children. 😄. Glad to see it doing well.

I'm a proud WOKE SAHM who homeschools her DD. Ironically, a stereotypical comment regarding what people believed was going to be a stereotypical movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter