Where to stay/visit in SoCal?

Aspencreek

Mouseketeer
Have some flight credits the better-half and I need to use soon and are thinking of booking a short (4-5 day) trip to SoCal somewhere in Feb or March. We've been to Disneyland a bunch and know that area, and have been to San Diego a few times and loved it. Is there somewhere in the LA area that would be like visiting San Diego with the low key vibe, some sightseeing things to do, easy to get around, etc.? Looking at past threads it seems that maybe Newport Beach or areas around there might be ok, but I just have no idea how it is to stay there. Mainly thinking somewhere not too far from LA because flying in to LAX will work well with flight credits. But definitely open to other ideas as the main goal is to enjoy some sun, see a few new sights, and do it all without a ton of hassle if at all possible. Thanks!

We like the Beverly Grove/Fairfax area in LA. Nice, walkable neighbourhood with plenty of dining options, good shopping and several interesting attractions (Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, La Brea Tarpits, Petersen Automotive Museum, Original Farmers Market and what’s left of the LA Museum of Contemporary Art. A short ride gets you to Hollywood, Griffith Park, Santa Monica and The Getty Villa.
It‘s about as low key as LA gets without been out in the burbs.

We enjoyed our trip to Newport Beach a few years back. We rented a house through Beachview Realty and were very happy with the property. Many properties come with bikes, or you can rent them as well. Strolls and picnics on the very wide beaches, my hardy kids donned wetsuits and took a surf lesson in the rather cool temperature surf! We liked the small downtown area and visiting Balboa as well. If you go, eat at the Crab Cooker! Take a ride down to Crystal Cove or even Laguna Beach too. We just wanted a chill SoCal beachy type trip with not a lot of planning required, and that’s what we got!

Either Santa Barbara or Palm Springs sounds like what you're looking for. They would each either need a car from LAX, or you could fly into the smaller closer airports, but it really sounds like that's what you're looking for.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, should give me a nice head-start on some spots to dig into a bit more!

I second Santa Barbara from LAX.You could then drive northeast to the cute Danish town of Solvang for a day.

Solvang sounds interesting. Is there enough for a full-day there or more of just popping up for a couple hours?

If you're there in February, I'd highly recommend going to Palm Springs. So many cool things there and the weather should be nice. There's some of the best golf in the world, if that's your thing. Tons of other things to do if golf isn't.

As for Solvang, it's a great place to see. If you're into wine Los Olivos nearby is great. That being said, I've been to Solvang a number of times and I don't think it would make for an exciting multi day. However that may be because I love Pismo/Avila.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, should give me a nice head-start on some spots to dig into a bit more!

Solvang sounds interesting. Is there enough for a full-day there or more of just popping up for a couple hours?
I would drive up and spend one night as the dinner spots are wonderful, as well as breakfast. THere are great shops on the man streets and a mission with a great museum.

Just throwing in my two cents. Laguna Beach and Dana Point are my favorite places in the world. I always combine DL with one of those - which are right beside each other. To me it's low-key, beautiful, lots of great places to eat, easy to get around. I've been there 4 or 5 times and still can't wait to go back. I usually do 2-3 days there, then 2-3 days at DL. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter