Where to stay in the LA area, post-DLR

DizneyLizzy

DIS Veteran
We check out of the Disneyland Hotel and will have about 2.5 days/3 nights to explore the LA area after we leave DLR. We don't have a definite idea of what we want to do in the area after Disneyland, but we'd love to see a Dodgers game or at least see the stadium, and we *might* want to visit Super Nintendo World at Universal. I don't really even know where to start looking for places to stay. We have a 5 AM flight out of LAX on our departure day, so airport proximity is definitely something to consider, although I can't imagine traffic will be an issue if we're heading to the airport at that hour. I've only been to LA twice, and both were quick in and outs for weddings on the coast, so I've never had to think for myself. Help!

I'm in the same boat right now, tho we'll have 5 days and also want to do a day trip somewhere else. I'm just looking at a map of LA going 'huh??'

Stay in the Hollywood or Santa Monica area. I personally like the location of the Universal City Hilton and Sheraton.

I'm in the same boat right now, tho we'll have 5 days and also want to do a day trip somewhere else. I'm just looking at a map of LA going 'huh??'

YES! I live outside Washington DC in Northern Virginia, so I'm quite familiar with "looks close on a map, but in actuality it takes an hour to go 8 miles."

YES! I live outside Washington DC in Northern Virginia, so I'm quite familiar with "looks close on a map, but in actuality it takes an hour to go 8 miles."
The traffic is such a huge factor. I need to start checking Google Maps at random times to get an idea of what it might be like between potential neighborhoods we'd stay in, and places we want to go. Also studying public transportation maps (I'm used to the NYC subway, which is SUCH a huge factor for getting around here. Also long live the DC Metro!) to see if staying near any specific stops could be of help. And then hotel parking too! I refuse to stay in an LA area equivalent to Times Square where it's $60/n for valet!

The traffic is such a huge factor. I need to start checking Google Maps at random times to get an idea of what it might be like between potential neighborhoods we'd stay in, and places we want to go. Also studying public transportation maps (I'm used to the NYC subway, which is SUCH a huge factor for getting around here. Also long live the DC Metro!) to see if staying near any specific stops could be of help. And then hotel parking too! I refuse to stay in an LA area equivalent to Times Square where it's $60/n for valet!

You're gonna pay for parking in LA. There is no way around that. Expect to pay around $50 for non valet parking per night no matter where you go.

You're gonna pay for parking in LA. There is no way around that. Expect to pay around $50 for non valet parking per night no matter where you go.
I've found this isn't the case! There are actually tons of places with free or lower-cost self-parking to be had both within the city limits, and just outside in still-convenient areas!

We check out of the Disneyland Hotel and will have about 2.5 days/3 nights to explore the LA area after we leave DLR. We don't have a definite idea of what we want to do in the area after Disneyland, but we'd love to see a Dodgers game or at least see the stadium, and we *might* want to visit Super Nintendo World at Universal. I don't really even know where to start looking for places to stay. We have a 5 AM flight out of LAX on our departure day, so airport proximity is definitely something to consider, although I can't imagine traffic will be an issue if we're heading to the airport at that hour. I've only been to LA twice, and both were quick in and outs for weddings on the coast, so I've never had to think for myself. Help!
I have a friend from LA who's been helping me find hotels for us. One of the areas she recommended in general - in terms of good vibe, walkable to places to eat, safe, etc, was Studio City/Toluca Lake/Burbank, which happens to be where Universal is! Google tells me it's a half hour to LAX without traffic (which ofc there won't be) which is pretty good!

I have a friend from LA who's been helping me find hotels for us. One of the areas she recommended in general - in terms of good vibe, walkable to places to eat, safe, etc, was Studio City/Toluca Lake/Burbank, which happens to be where Universal is! Google tells me it's a half hour to LAX without traffic (which ofc there won't be) which is pretty good!

I agree with that location. Lots of good little restaurants, and close to the Warner Brothers lot also, in case you decide to do that studio tour. Lots of good little restaurants also, plus you can drive past the Walt Disney Studios.

I agree with that location. Lots of good little restaurants, and close to the Warner Brothers lot also, in case you decide to do that studio tour. Lots of good little restaurants also, plus you can drive past the Walt Disney Studios.
I was scanning around on the map and suddenly went oh my god I forgot to put Walt Disney Studios on my list! I had been thinking of the others, but that one had escaped me, despite the fact that we'll also be at DL on this trip! 🤦‍♀️

I was scanning around on the map and suddenly went oh my god I forgot to put Walt Disney Studios on my list! I had been thinking of the others, but that one had escaped me, despite the fact that we'll also be at DL on this trip! 🤦‍♀️

Well, you can only do a drive by. There are some heavy duty gates up barring entry by the public. But it is cool to see. You can also see the hospital where Walt passed away.

We are really only doing universal after our DLR days, (not planning any other LA/Hollywood stuff) so I've been looking at the Garland since they have a trolley to Universal. We will be flying out of LAX and probably get stuck on some traffic due to flight times, but it's still easier than some of the other airports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter