Where Can We Find Solar Eclipse Glasses (Not Online)?

everything he'd already looked at in the areas he was scoping was sold out
This is true in soooo many places. Hotels have been sold out for months. Local parking lots are charging people to park (offering a "viewing party" for the day). Schools are closing -- not as much to view the eclipse but to avoid anticipated issues of unbelievable traffic expected. And we've been warned that Internet may go out due to so many people trying to stream -- the state is actually worried about 911 being unreachable. I don't know how much of that is true concerns vs media hype... but yes hotels and B&Bs are sold out.

This is true in soooo many places. Hotels have been sold out for months. Local parking lots are charging people to park (offering a "viewing party" for the day). Schools are closing -- not as much to view the eclipse but to avoid anticipated issues of unbelievable traffic expected. And we've been warned that Internet may go out due to so many people trying to stream -- the state is actually worried about 911 being unreachable. I don't know how much of that is true concerns vs media hype... but yes hotels and B&Bs are sold out.

It's one of the things that really worries me. We're driving a little over 3 hours to the parking lot where I reserved access. We didn't want to book a hotel since we're not that far, but now I'm trying to gauge how early we'll need to leave to account for traffic. I started getting visions of getting a flat tire and not being able to call for assistance. I do have satellite access on my vehicle, but what if that's also an issue? Can you tell that I'm a worrier?

My boss was saying that the only lodging he saw that still had rooms was a beat up little motel. He said their normal rates are dirt cheap, but it's over $900/nt + tax for the eclipse. I found a lot of camping options around Waco for pretty reasonable. Cheapest hotel is $500.

We are near the path in upstate NY (our location will get 98% totality) and there were no eclipse glasses here yesterday that we could find. Even the employees at Home Depot were surprised that none were left. The library was also out. So I ordered them online.

OP, if you find them, get them. Don't wait until you get near the path of totality--the glasses could all be gone by then. Also, even though you're traveling, do you know where you're going to be, say, next Wednesday? You could order the glasses online and have them delivered to your destination, assuming this would be possible.
What was the name of the brand if you don't mind saying? I just want to make sure I get safe ones and not fakes.

We are in NH and about an hour from the North Country where they are completely sold out of hotel rooms.
Glad to see our small businesses capitalizing on some Monday in April tourism.
It is typically one of the slowest times of year between ski season and summer tourism.
Good luck with the glasses OP!

We are going to get 3:42 of totality in my town - like others have said the library is handing them out as well as the schools. We also have lots of viewing sites as well. Some are free and others cost an admission but they have glasses included. All of my students are getting them as well. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks
I would start looking at town websites now. I was going to wing it or look for something next week, but one of my bosses informed me that everything he'd already looked at in the areas he was scoping was sold out or grossly inflated. I had a specific town in mind, found their website, and found that they've turned pretty much everything on its ear for the eclipse. They've even informally changed their name for the week. It seems every place in this little town is charging to use parking lots. Even the public parks are requiring reservations. Nearly everything was sold out except for a nearby country club and the parking lot of an old outlet mall. I opted for the outlet mall lot because it was "only" $50 a vehicle, we can pack a picnic lunch/snacks and will have access to vendors and a carnival (which means porta potties). My dad had suggested the city about 35 miles south of the town we're going to, but most of the cities are expected to be really bad. Based on travel booking data, San Antonio already declared a state of emergency for the eclipse. Either way, that town website gave me the bulk of the info I needed to hopefully make this a more pleasant day. Dreading the drive and praying the traffic isn't too awful
Yeah, I really need to start doing some serious planning. It doesn't help that I know nothing about the area. I don't really know where to start, but I'm going to have to figure it out.

It sounds like you have a fun day planned. Enjoy!
We are near the path in upstate NY (our location will get 98% totality) and there were no eclipse glasses here yesterday that we could find. Even the employees at Home Depot were surprised that none were left. The library was also out. So I ordered them online.

OP, if you find them, get them. Don't wait until you get near the path of totality--the glasses could all be gone by then. Also, even though you're traveling, do you know where you're going to be, say, next Wednesday? You could order the glasses online and have them delivered to your destination, assuming this would be possible.
Thanks for the warning. I'll get them ASAP.

We are in NH and about an hour from the North Country where they are completely sold out of hotel rooms.
Glad to see our small businesses capitalizing on some Monday in April tourism.
It is typically one of the slowest times of year between ski season and summer tourism.
Good luck with the glasses OP!
Thanks. If you don't mind offering some planning help, would you mind PMing me? I see you have PM access turned off on your account. As I said above, we're going to be in New Hampshire & driving to a viewing location. Unfortunately, I've only been to NH once & spent the week in the hotel sick. I don't know anything about the area. If you'd rather not, I understand.

Do you already have a place to stay?
The bigger towns like Lancaster, Lincoln, Whitefield, North Conway, Jackson have already sold out most of their rooms.
If you don't already have a place to stay, maybe book a chain hotel in Concord and drive North for the day.
Lots of people looking to make money off the day.
If you are looking to be part of the hubub, go to one of the towns above.
If you want a quiet experience, pack a cooler and blankets and chairs and head to a smaller town like Stark or Dixville Notch and park off the road somewhere.
Mount Washington Auto Road was doing some sort of tours up to the top of the mountain. That in itself is a fun outing but might be booked up by now.
Go to WMUR.com and search for recent articles and watch for more up to date news on happenings.

Yeah, I really need to start doing some serious planning. It doesn't help that I know nothing about the area. I don't really know where to start, but I'm going to have to figure it out.
I think you said you expect to be in NH. Where in NH? Southern part, near the MA border? Here's a map of how the eclipse is expected in NH - the path of totality will be at the upper (dark green) area:
1711655625017.png

Depending on your starting point, you'll likely drive I-93 north to Franconia and then US Route 3 north up into Coos County. Hopefully someone else can give suggestions of where to go up in that region.

Do you already have a place to stay?
The bigger towns like Lancaster, Lincoln, Whitefield, North Conway, Jackson have already sold out most of their rooms.
If you don't already have a place to stay, maybe book a chain hotel in Concord and drive North for the day.
Lots of people looking to make money off the day.
If you are looking to be part of the hubub, go to one of the towns above.
If you want a quiet experience, pack a cooler and blankets and chairs and head to a smaller town like Stark or Dixville Notch and park off the road somewhere.
Mount Washington Auto Road was doing some sort of tours up to the top of the mountain. That in itself is a fun outing but might be booked up by now.
Go to WMUR.com and search for recent articles and watch for more up to date news on happenings.
Thanks so much for the great information. We'll be there for DH's job & plan to stay in Concord. I'll look into the towns you listed to see what I can find.

I think you said you expect to be in NH. Where in NH? Southern part, near the MA border? Here's a map of how the eclipse is expected in NH - the path of totality will be at the upper (dark green) area:
View attachment 846122

Depending on your starting point, you'll likely drive I-93 north to Franconia and then US Route 3 north up into Coos County. Hopefully someone else can give suggestions of where to go up in that region.
We plan to stay in Concord.

For an idea of timing -- that's usually about 1.5 hours from Concord to Lancaster (just using that as a the southern edge of the totality zone). If you are simply thinking a day trip -- I'd just head out in the morning, leave plenty of time in case there are lots of others on the roads doing the same thing. You can likely find a community event somewhere along Route 3 which hugs the VT border. Try googling some of those towns. It seems pretty much every community is doing something (at least on the VT side).

For an idea of timing -- that's usually about 1.5 hours from Concord to Lancaster (just using that as a the southern edge of the totality zone). If you are simply thinking a day trip -- I'd just head out in the morning, leave plenty of time in case there are lots of others on the roads doing the same thing. You can likely find a community event somewhere along Route 3 which hugs the VT border. Try googling some of those towns. It seems pretty much every community is doing something (at least on the VT side).
Thanks so much. Help from locals is invaluable, when you travel on short notice like we do.

My neighborhood!
For a great breakfast or lunch, check out Tucker's!

I would recommend gassing up and getting snacks and such in Concord.

The above map that someone posted with "total eclipse visibility" in the darker green area are more rural. Most towns in that zone will have small town centers with a gas station and and limited shopping/dining.
That whole area is very scenic for road tripping.

If you head back to Concord after dark, be cautious of moose and deer on the road!

our local libraries have been giving them away.

Our local library is giving them out.

Same. Stop by any town on your travels and check.

Schools are closing -- not as much to view the eclipse but to avoid anticipated issues of unbelievable traffic expected.
I also think it's a liability thing. Schools do not want to be responsible for the kid who doesn't listen to their teacher and takes their glasses off!

I'm breaking my own rule and not reading the entire thread... if you have a Warby Parker, or are going by one, they're giving glasses away at all of their stores starting April 1. https://www.warbyparker.com/solar-eclipse-2024. If you're WAY outside the path of totality, I can't imagine they'd be gone too quick.
Should have read the whole thread 😉. That was mentioned by another poster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter