• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When you've come back from your trip, how do you handle the "let down"?

marcyinPA

DIS Veteran
We went to the "world" in June, and I still find myself looking at the pictures over and over, watching the video and visiting these boards every day. I want to go back in the worst way, but my husband was laid off from his job right before we left on our last trip (we had it planned and paid for LONG before he was laid off). The chances of us going back again anytime soon are slim. I LOVE Disney, and I want to go back again SOON! I read some of these posts, and I also have some friends, who go several times a year and I am so envious!!

I feel like I still have a serious case of trip let-down. HELP!! (it doesn't help that my kids keep asking when we are going back to DW!!)

Marcy:(

I usually start planning my next trip! I also busy myself with money making ideas, such as : saving change in a jar, doing my rewards programs (Blink, MyPoints, Disney Awards, Creations Rewards, 27bucks) all with saving for next years Disney trip in mind. I start feeling the end of vacation depression about a full day before we are to go home. This year it will be worse, as I am in a job that is making me very unhappy, so when I come back after being away from the job I hate for 12 days, I'll have nothing left to look forward to for months....I really need everyone's prayers to ask God to either lead me to a new job that I will be happier with OR changing the awful conditions where I work...and its mostly 2 people who are at the top, making things bad for not only me, but all staff other than the top 2 people. (we had a change in management about a year ago and its getting worse and worse) It was not a change for the better as we have found out....so anyway I am looking forward to this Disney trip, but know it will go by way too fast!

We are back just two weeks, so I know what you mean! Fortunately for me, I am off during the summer, so I at least get a chance to adjust slowly.

Try throwing yourself into a project, like cleaning or redoing a room, or helping your DH land a new job. If a trip to Disney isn't in the cards for the near future, how about trying to plan one for 2 years from now.

My two teen DD's keep me busy and running so I don't have too much time to think about being depressed, so I'd say the trick is to just stay as busy as you possibly can.:):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I agree that you should start planning your next trip. You don't have to set a date yet. You can start really researching the different resorts, restaurants, etc....Pick what time of year you would like to go (we love the late fall or Thanksgiving) Start a special savings acct. and do things like yard sales, etc...to pay for it once you've decided on a hotel and budget. Drive instead of flying. Order the new planning video when it comes out in 2003. Visit the Dis regularly. It really helps me. I like to go when I'll be coming home and throw myself into holiday planning. That way I can buy some of my gifts while on vacation. Have Disney video night with the family once a week and get everyone in on the saving and planning. We always book a year in advance and my kids will get in the car in the morning on the way to school and ask me to give them an update on our trip planning. They love to talk about what they want to do while we're there or what they enjoyed the most on the last trip. Don't despair.........you'll get there.

Just plan a trip..pick a time far enough off so it is feasible, like say Thanksgiving 2003, you can always change the date, but it gives you something to look forward to. You can tell the kids you are going again, but they have to wait a bit till Daddy gets settled in his new job. Once you have a trip planned, even if it does not come off right then you will feel better....:)

I feel truly blessed that I have this very strange "Disney after-glo" that lasts about two months after we return. (We haven't been since '96 so the after glo is long gone)...
It was so helpful to watch our home videos frequently...almost like being there!!....I even have this (tacky?) WDW license plate on the front bumper of my car....makes me smile everytime I look at it

I so agree with the others who have suggested to start saving now...even if its just pocket change every month...then when things become more stable...you might think about making a reservation...even a year in advance!!

Best of luck to you and your family...you hubby will get a job in no time!!!

I agree with the others. Start planning the next trip! I start within the week of returning home. I go back every six months but you can start planning even if you won't be back for a year.

Our first family trip is coming up, and while I wish we could go back sooner, it's not really feasible economically. However, I still get to plan our next trip(s), because the kids gave me a great reason - we're celebrating DD's 8th birthday this time, and DS said we "have" to go back for his 8th. That will be in 2006 (yikes!).

I figure I have a target date and lots of time to plan - and save. I've already decided on AP's, with stays in August, January, and June/July (maybe one more as a surprise :) ). We'll have to fly for DS's birthday (3-day weekend), but the other two times (length of stay, mode of transportation) will be limited only by our budget. When we go next month, we'll be checking out different resorts to better decide which ones to book when we go back.

Maybe using this approach will work for you - if you know you won''t be going back within a year or more, then pick a special date to celebrate farther down the road and make your plans around that. Plan for multiple trips, or make up plans for different resorts or times of the year - even if you go only once, you'll have had the fun of investigating each resort and restaurant. Hope this is helpful.

Lori

Starting planning a trip for a long time for now. Make it a mission to find at least 10 new/different things to do on the next trip. Set up a WDW fund that you can slowly build up. Spend a lot of time on the DIS (of course!)
And all the while, get a mickey antenna ball and keychain, I can vouch that little bits of Disney everyday make time go by easier!

We just got back on Saturday. Boy, am I depressed. I was starting to feel it on the second to last day of our stay. So what I did was, I got up early, went out on the balcony with the phone, and made our ressies for July 2003. That still didn't raise my spirits enough, so when we got home and I read here on the boards that new codes were coming out the next day, I again got up early, only I wasn't on the CR balcony, and made ressies for this November. We can't stay at the CR this trip due to $$$, so I was able to get a decent deal at the CBR. Now I have approx.15 weeks to plan everything again. I am getting excited about that. Our REAL big trip will be in July 2003, staying 13 days and that I can't wait for. I keep telling myself I only have to wait for the rest of the summer to be over, then fall, then winter, holidays,then spring, then last day of school for the kids, then I will be a happy person packing. With all this said, I don't know if I'm depressed again.

Every single time we get back, especially me, I get so down n out!! It is hard getting ready for work the next morning knowing that someone else is climbing those steps on the bus to the MK or MGM! Then when Im sitting there working, I think about the person who is in line to get a Dole Whip and I feel so DEPRESSED THAT IT AINT ME!!! :(

But, as soon as my pics get developed, I get my photo album that I bought at Mouse Gear and I start my scrapbook for that trip. I look at the pictures of the resort, the parks, the flowers, and just feel better knowing that I will be back in a few months! :)

And then, when I get the blue feeling again, I always think to myself---"Dont be so selfish, just think of the little kids and other people who want to go to DisneyWorld so bad and can't for all kinds of reasons. At least I got to go, some people aren't as fortunate as I am." Then I always feel better that at least I was fortunate enough to go as much as I have been. :)

I also get depressed just before its time to leave and on our return I also try to plan a next trip asap on our return so I have something to look forward to. My kids also get depressed when we come home. I go shopping 1 night of the trip without them(they're 7 and 10) and bring back a few treats to give out when we are home.They both buy pins with their spending money. I buy extra to add some magic on the down days. I also save the small shop bags and the left over napkins fom our conter service meals.On stressful days they like to find their school snack packed in a Disney bag with the Disney napkin.

We came back on May 2 of this year and I still do not feel totally back into "reality"!! My best friend and I had the best trip ever and we just commented the other day how we just don't bounce back into our daily routines so quickly anymore. We were there for 11 days and truly treated like royalty so the whole thing of work, chores, etc just doesn't come as easily. Our only answer is of course another trip and we are long-term planning {2004} for an even longer trip. It will take us that long to save our cash for it but it is worth the wait and keeps us motivated. So like everyone else, we plan, make lists,crunch numbers and hang out here at the Dis!!

I'm surprised there isn't medical terminology to describe the feeling. It's so darn common. I agree that planning another trip -and planning on doing something new - brings your spirits up. So what do you all call our dreaded condition?

Yes I agree with all of you that it is hard to go back to work after a Disney World Vacation......but every day I look at my "magic Happens" countdown clock and I see that I am one day closer to another trip!!! and on those really hard days when nothing seems to go right......I smile and think about how much fun it's going to be walking down main street and seeing the castle!!! I also do surveys over the internet......which pays like 10 bucks every 750 or so points..... such as mysurvey.com I also have a change collector in my desk.....and I do product evaluations...which pay's 5 dollars a pop......all this does add up over the months......so I can have a super trip!! my next one is in 93 days......from October29th to November 11th!!! 14 days in a dream world!!! No husband......(doesn't like it) no kids....in school and really don't want to go ........oh well I go and meet my friends down there........and have a BLAST!!! :Pinkbounc :p :p :p

I know I sound whacky but I always bring home some Spanish Moss from the trees if I can get some. I will put it in a little ziploc bag and bring it right home to Indiana, and plop it in my Japanese Maple out front. Just seeing it reminds me of Florida!

I also take home a few water bottles filled with that great, swampy Florida water. I will actually SMELL them for a week or two. You open that bottle up and smell the water and it's like you are in WDW again! I have read where smell is so effective in triggering memories, and here I am trying to convince my brain I am back on vacation again.

I also go to the Disney Store in our mall. The people who work there are always planning a trip and always happy to talk WDW. They understand how hard it is to be back from a visit! I will often buy a little Mickey item, too. I have often thought of getting a part-time job there. Discounts!

Finally... I plan my retirement. I honestly hope that someday, when my children are raised, I am going to live in Florida and work part-time at Disney. Daydreaming about this makes me happy, especially in the gray Indiana winter! And of course I am ALWAYS planning my next vacation... :)

Marcy, I totally understand what you are going through. My family and I went to WDW June 2-9. On June 30th, my dh's contract expired. My employer (State of Illinois) is planning a mass layoff--not sure who will get the axe or when it will swing. Thankfully this trip was paid for entirely in CASH, because I would be sick if I had some huge credit card bill facing me. Although I have no idea when we will be able to save up enough money to make a return trip, I am so glad that we got to see the 100 year celebration. We had the best time and made some great memories.

But back to your original question, we...
1) listen to the 5 cd box set,
2) make Mickey pancakes,
3) watch Disney videos
4) surf the DIS,
5) look at the pictures from our past trips
6) help other people plan trips

Good luck to your husband.

I second the "smell" idea. After reading a tip on these boards, I went to Bath & Body works before our trip (just got home 2 days ago) and picked out a scent I liked but hadn't used before. I bought several different items in that scent (hand soap, body wash, wall scent thing) and saved them to use for the first time at Disney. I was having a hard time unpacking (still am!) and came across the box I had stored the B&B works items---the scent took me back to our cabins at FT Wilderness immediately! It doesn't take away all of the melancholy but it does help.

This time we are staying 8 nights in November. I am usually sad when I come home and try to plan a new trip ASAP. This time I won't be so sad because I know we are moving to Orlando in the spring!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc I will be BUSY planning the move for 4-5 months. We are all set to visit apartments and houses in November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter