• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you think grocery shopping will have a sense of normalcy again?

We ended up mailing a friend of ours who lives in Virginia some toilet paper because she was sick with the (regular) flu at the time everyone was stocking up on stuff and by the time she could get to the store, there was none left. Another friend mailed her Clorox wipes for the same reason. It took three days to get to her, and she was on the last of her final roll and was about to start her period. I'm so glad we were able to get some for her! Taking the last of what's on the shelves just in case is something everyone should avoid.

That was very nice of you to do that but how sad is that really. I still don't get that hoarding??

That was very nice of you to do that but how sad is that really. I still don't get that hoarding??

A week ago no one was talking quarantines and shutting down the planet. This week we aren't talking about how the supply lines broke down and the stores are completely out of supplies.

Things can change quick. People are scared. Some people are stupid. Those things can spiral quickly. Why toilet paper I have no idea. I shudder to think about what these people do at work all day.

Things were fairly normal at Aldi today. They were well stocked. There were a few items you couldn't get but not many. They even had some TP. It was crowded and people were lined up to get in. But I think that's more because they opened late than because people rushed to get there and line up before they opened. But they stayed distant as they could from each other and nobody raced for the TP. In fact, I waited in the car until the line went to zero and there was plenty of TP still there. But other than that decently normal. Nobody was taking too much of anything. Nobody took more than a package of TP even. It is probably all gone by now but lots of people were able to get a package and they'll get some more in tomorrow.

At Kroger and Publix, however, they were not according to conversations I heard. Publix was out of meat entirely. Kroger had some but no chicken. Several whole sections of the store were sparse or below half stock. Neither looked any more crowded than a normal busy day on the way by and in fact less crowded than they were last week.

All in all, things aren't normal, but look to be getting better in that regard.

I stopped at the supermarket for the first time since last Thursday when it was a madhouse.

Much more relaxed today, although many of the usual items were low or out of stock. I mainly went for produce and deli and both were not quite normal but more than adequate. The only non-perishables I wanted were Pam cooking spray, vinegar, Crystal Light drink mix, and apple juice and all were available.

The store had toilet paper/paper towels/tissues/napkins. They were in cases behind a few folding tables in the seasonal display section of the store. Employees were handing them out. Limit one per type of item. A woman asked if she could get one Cottonelle and one other brand of TP but the employee said no. The TP was in smaller 4 or 6 packs. Nobody seemed to be desperate for it, and fewer than half the carts I noticed contained it. Shoppers seemed pleasantly surprised that it was available. But I doubt most buyers actually needed it. The attitude seemed to be "might as well buy some while available." I didn't buy any, just watched for about 30 seconds.

Things were fairly normal at Aldi today. They were well stocked. There were a few items you couldn't get but not many. They even had some TP. It was crowded and people were lined up to get in. But I think that's more because they opened late than because people rushed to get there and line up before they opened. But they stayed distant as they could from each other and nobody raced for the TP. In fact, I waited in the car until the line went to zero and there was plenty of TP still there. But other than that decently normal. Nobody was taking too much of anything. Nobody took more than a package of TP even. It is probably all gone by now but lots of people were able to get a package and they'll get some more in tomorrow.

At Kroger and Publix, however, they were not according to conversations I heard. Publix was out of meat entirely. Kroger had some but no chicken. Several whole sections of the store were sparse or below half stock. Neither looked any more crowded than a normal busy day on the way by and in fact less crowded than they were last week.

All in all, things aren't normal, but look to be getting better in that regard.

I think one thing being underestimated in the supply chain is the fact that people aren't eating out as much so have to get more food from the stores. Kids aren't at school, parents aren't at work. So lunch is a definite extra meal and who knows what other snacks people will boredom eat. Great news for the stores and suppliers bottom lines. But it definitely changes their ordering amounts and the supply lines. That runs up up to the manufacturers as well. Some food can be re-routed to store production, but some can't.

Our neighbourhood site is also posting if anyone needs something to call people and they will share or go to the store for the older folks. There is a lot of griping but also a lot of helpfulness. Someone was in need of TP and within 5 mins people were offering it up.

This whole situation is bringing out the worst in some people and the best in some people.

Our neighbourhood site is also posting if anyone needs something to call people and they will share or go to the store for the older folks. There is a lot of griping but also a lot of helpfulness. Someone was in need of TP and within 5 mins people were offering it up.

This whole situation is bringing out the worst in some people and the best in some people.
We've had a few of those people too and I've loved seeing those posts :love:

It's no surprise though when they closed in the city the community rec center there were folks asking if they would get refunds for the portion of the time it was closed 🙄

And then the flood of complaints today when they announced that Monday would be the last day yard waste (which is collected weekly every week of the year) would be collected because the vehicle used requires the workers to get out of the vehicle to place the carts some people own on the mechanical arms, unlike the trash as well as recycling vehicles which don't, in addition to the yard waste bags that have to be physically picked up. You can still drop yard waste off at the compost facility you just have to do it yourself.

Also normally our city doesn't care about additional items outside of the trash and recycling carts but now Monday will be the last day they will pick up excess. The whole goal is to just use the mechnical arms for the foreseeable future so the workers don't have to get out of the vehicle and it reduces their interaction with items that may carry the virus. Some people were completely understanding but others were not..it's like guys come on it sucks because it's now getting into spring time but it's understandable why they are doing it plus you can still drop it off yourself even if that isn't as convenient at least we have that option.

I am so upset! Sorry this is long, but I wanted to tell the story. Hubbie and I ran to the store for a couple things. I stayed in the car, with my window cracked since it was like warm and stuffy. First, some man walks by just taking huge drags and huffing and puffing on his vape. I mean he left a big trail of his possible germs for feet and yards. He wasn't that close, so I just hoped and prayed. Then the worst. a woman pulled up next to me in her car with her window all the way down just coughing and dripping and sneezing right towards me. I was so scared! I couldn't roll my window up as the car had no power, turned off. I scrambled over the middle to the drivers seat, started the car, closed the window. I saw my husband finally coming out of the store, so I got out of the car and walked several feet away. I had to tell him to just get in the car and pull it up and come get me. I wasn't walking back over there. No way. This is awful. People are risking spreading this thing which could be dangerous to other people. This isn't just about toilet paper.

No I didn't miss it - there were 4 packages of toilet paper on the shelf and you took all 4 of them, because your kids "might" need as well. I am sure there were plenty of people shopping that did need some, maybe desperately. I could see buying for yourself and maybe one extra just in case, but all 4? Sorry I am just getting so fed up with selfish people. The reason why your kids can't just go to the store and buy toilet paper whenever they want to is because of people like you clearing the shelves!

This is just really bothering me because of what I witnessed the other day - I saw an elderly lady, probably in her 80s, nearly with tears in her eyes about how she was out of toilet paper. She had taken a taxi to Walmart for the 3rd time that week to try and buy some and now she couldn't afford another trip and she didn't know what she was going to do.

That's RIDICULOUS. There isn't a toilet paper (or food) shortage. There is just a selfish population problem. Just buy what you need and let everyone else do the same, as normal, and there would be no problem!

See this is where you are wrong. I had not ran out trying to hoard anything, I have been in touch with my kids. They all had mentioned they would have to find TP in the very near future. Instead of all of us going out multiple different times searching for TP and not finding any I got what I could for all of us at that time. Not going to feel sorry for buying the last 4 so I could keep my family from having to make multiple trips to the store. I have one daughter working overtime in a grocery store and she has not been able to buy TP! I only bought what my family would need. I went out for regular shopping of which we needed TP at our own house. Yes I realize I said "might" because since the previous day I did not know if anyone had bought TP. If 4 of us from each of our different households would have been there would it have been okay with you for us to buy the 6 rolls each?

My daughter and her family were already down to 2 rolls at her house. She still gave a couple rolls of the 6 I brought her to her neighbor.

If I had seen that lady in the store I would have been right there asking her what her address is and would have gotten whatever I could spare from home and had it delivered or brought to her.

I also hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday.

Last edited:
I keep thinking about this place that opened up in 2014 in my area as a brand new concept.

Zoomin Market is what it was called. You ordered and it was drive thru pick up only; looked similar to a gas station. There was no one allowed inside the facility it was just order and pick up. The location it was at was not a good one as far as clientele, they didn't really have it all ironed out before they opened and it closed not too long in terms of length of business operation after it opened.

That place would be a gold mine right now. They were just years ahead of its time. That's the perfect style of place we need right now. Sure there would be traffic backups but social distancing would become its motto I'm sure lol.

We've had a few of those people too and I've loved seeing those posts :love:

It's no surprise though when they closed in the city the community rec center there were folks asking if they would get refunds for the portion of the time it was closed 🙄

And then the flood of complaints today when they announced that Monday would be the last day yard waste (which is collected weekly every week of the year) would be collected because the vehicle used requires the workers to get out of the vehicle to place the carts some people own on the mechanical arms, unlike the trash as well as recycling vehicles which don't, in addition to the yard waste bags that have to be physically picked up. You can still drop yard waste off at the compost facility you just have to do it yourself.

Also normally our city doesn't care about additional items outside of the trash and recycling carts but now Monday will be the last day they will pick up excess. The whole goal is to just use the mechnical arms for the foreseeable future so the workers don't have to get out of the vehicle and it reduces their interaction with items that may carry the virus. Some people were completely understanding but others were not..it's like guys come on it sucks because it's now getting into spring time but it's understandable why they are doing it plus you can still drop it off yourself even if that isn't as convenient at least we have that option.

Hello, Parks and Recs Manager? I want to know when I'm getting my tax refund for you closing the rec center.

Hello waste pick up manager? How dare you not risk your crews by not handling my yard waste.

A week ago no one was talking quarantines and shutting down the planet. This week we aren't talking about how the supply lines broke down and the stores are completely out of supplies.

Things can change quick. People are scared. Some people are stupid. Those things can spiral quickly. Why toilet paper I have no idea. I shudder to think about what these people do at work all day.

potty breaks!! :rotfl:

We went to 2 family owned grocery stores today. One was close to where my Mom, 92 y/o, lives in a Senior apartment that has been closed. Everything was stocked and not picked over, except for the , guess?, TP ailse! It was empty except for a few packs of an off brand. Otherwise the store was less crowded and panicked.
We went to our own neighborhood store and the same thing. There was plenty of meat, milk, eggs, canned foods; however, there are signs limiting the amount of these things, so maybe that's why. It seemed to be a less panicked, more relaxed atmosphere at both stores. I think the panic buying is slowing down in our area of N. Mn.

Why toilet paper I have no idea. I shudder to think about what these people do at work all day.
The stories my husband tells of his work :oops::crazy2:

Really though unless you're home all the time times that by how many people you may have at home at the same time..let's just say you take for granted the usage of other places to do your biz in terms of resources (that's not advocating for hoarding dear lord).

I finally feel like we have enough food to shelter in place. My kid is so dang picky, so my husband went out today on another quest for bread and peanut butter. Happy to say he was successful.

We have no plans to go back into a store any time soon. I'm starting to feel very nervous and scared about getting it. I ordered some disposable gloves on Amazon to wear when handling mail and packages. I just want this whole thing to stop.

I went to Publix today, no Lactose free milk, I have a half gallon, but I can't believe that's gone too.

My sister is a family of 5, with 3 teenagers, she was putting meat in her cart and the guy tells her she can't take that much.
She says this is my regular take every week, I'm feeding 3 teenage boys. He said, "Oh ok go ahead", LOL. must own a few teenagers himself and knows what they can consume.

My DH will be heading to a nearby Walmart to pick up his prescriptions. I will be giving him a list as well as my almost 90 yr old Mom. Reminds me of the days before a snowstorm. What I would give for that 3-4 day inconvenience! :(

We were fortunate enough to not need to stock up during the mad rush. We've been topping up every few days, and today was notably better than it's been at the local Trader Joe's. Smaller stores are posting general inventory information via social media, and stock overall seems to be higher.

It isn't "You can get exactly what's on your list" but both fish and chicken were back in stock, as well as a wider variety of dairy products and some bread, rice and pasta.

We're in the SF Bay area, so this is day 2 of shelter in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter