What's the closest/best? beach to Disneyworld?

shep

Let me tell ya about our 2008 trip out west...
Since we are going down next week we wanted to possibly stop at a beach on the way there, would prefer to go on the gulf, anybody have any preferences that are fairly close to WDW??

I love Clearwater, and near there you also have St. Pete's Beach and North Redington Beach. I've only been to Clearwater and I love how wide and powdery it is. I've heard the other 2 beaches, in close proximity, are also nice, but maybe someone here can give you first hand info.

Have fun!

I think the "closest" beach is Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic side - about 1 hr east. Tampa/St. Pete, on the Gulf, is going to take about 2 hrs.

On the Gulf side, we used to always go to Clearwater Beach. I have vivid memories of visiting there as a child with my family. Of course, this was MANY years ago when my grandmother was still alive and living in Zephyrhills.

If you were taking the eastern route (I-77, I-26, I-95), you could stop off at Daytona. Since that's the route we always take, we've made that stop a couple of times.

As a Floridian I can attest that the Gulf is the best:sunny:, white sand and prettier water. We went to St Pete last year(Don Cesar) and are going to Clearwater(Hilton) this summer after WDW. About 1 1/2 hours away I think. Other pretty areas are near Destin in the panhandle. Not sure how you are coming down, so they may not really be "on the way".

We will be coming down I-75..
Been to St. Pete, might have to try Clearwater..:)

I live in the Clearwater/St Pete/Tampa Bay area and you can't go wrong with the beaches here. However, I'd tend to avoid Clearwater Beach, only because it's consistently JAMMED! Big place for teenagers and college students. No place to park, unless you're staying at a hotel.

There is, however, not far from there, Caladesi State Park and Honeymoon Island. Here's a link for it --

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/district4/caladesiisland/index.asp

My DD (17) just went there recently and they loved it! You take a ferry from Honeymoon Island over to Caladesi ($7.00/each way). It's very beautiful there and not as crowded.

Clearwater area is about 1-1/2 - 2 hours from WDW I-4 and then I-275.

Enjoy!

I do agree about St Pete being more "calm"! Don Cesar was the most incredible beach experience we ever had. And I grew up going to Cape San Blas FL. I guess I have become "spoiled" lately.:teeth:
DH and I will be going back to the area for an ALONE trip after the family one:D , what are some good seafood places for families and for JUST us? Sorry to jump in on your thread Shep, but it might help you too:cool BTW, I think the Gulf is worth the extra few miles;) ! New Smyrna is our favorite on the Atlantic side.

Originally posted by BibbidiBobbidiBoo
New Smyrna is our favorite on the Atlantic side.

The only thing I don't like about New Smyrna is that the cars park ON the beach! And they drive back and forth between you and the shore. Very scary for people with kids and detracts from the beautiful view!

I would agree with that except they did not drive where we were at that time. We had a beach house further down the beach. Part of the reason we prefer the Gulf!
Any seafood advice for Clearwater area?:D

I will advise against swimming in Old Tampa Bay (if you are even allowed to swim there anymore). That's where I found out just how painful it is to be stung by a jellyfish.

Sounds like I'm going to have to try making a trip down to St. Pete sometime to check out the beach. We're heading over to Vero Beach sometime later in June to visit with Barb (for real) and her family during their summer vacation. A bit out of the way for you Shep.

Cocoa Beach is closest. Here are some pics I took there in March.

DSC03291

DSC03292

Shep, when we went a couple years ago. I had to see the beach, being so close to it. We went to Clearwater and went swimming. I had to. lol Anyway, it was very pretty. Very packed, but pretty.

After going there, both my girls have decided they are living in Florida.
Between the horse farms, my oldest saw, WDW and the palm trees and beaches, my girls told me I could visit whenever I wanted. lol

I cast my vote for Clearwater or St. Pete Beach as well.
I grew up in a town called Treasure Island, which is kind of a "suburb" of St. Pete....right on the beach.
I will have to say that the gulf beaches are the most beautiful (IMHO)!

Cocoa Beach
Canaveral National Seashore
Anastasia State Park/St. Augustine Beach

I'd tell ya, but it took me 25 years to find it....

Maybe you can find one, too!

But Clearwater & St. Pete are nice, as well.

:bounce:

Now Shep, if you go to a beach in either Clearwater or St Petersburg you better let me know!! I am in that area and would enjoy meeting up with you, your DW and you 2 cutie pies. I mean it!! Let me know which day you are thinking or whatever. I will bring Pink with me. hee hee (j/k)

We went to Clearwater last year and it was awesome!

It took us about 1.5 hours to get there, but we enjoyed the drive.

Nice pics Olena!!

Only beach I've been to, Shep, is the one between the Swan/Dolphin!!!!:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter