What's Happened?

des1954

DIS Veteran
I'm in somewhat of a reflective mood and can't help but wonder what has happened that most of the former "regular's" of this board are now gone? Was it the anticipation of BatWit & the October GG that kept us going? Is it (perish the thought) now that most of us have met each other, the mystique is gone and the love affair has ended?

What happened? :confused3

Every time Denise or I inquired about this same thing we were told, "Facebook",,"it's faster, more fun etc."
I looked at it and except for being able to type out profanity or talk politics,,I dont see a difference from here to there, :confused3 I dont get it :confused3
It seems most of the formers just make token posts now.

If it aint Facebook,,then I dont know what to tell ya Deb. :confused3

Finally gettn to meet a few fiends got me to think'n, "cool, this is the BEGINNING of some really good happenings:thumbsup2".
And then BAM !, everyone disappears.

So Deb, have I told you lately, how glad we are to have you here :cheer2:

community board, we use to play off the newbies. At least i saw a decline after that.

Facebook has the advantage of being more private, which was needed given the problems this group had in the past with trouble makers. On the other hand, if we hadn't met on this public board, then we wouldn't be on each others friend lists at FB. A double-edged sword.

I also get frustrated at the way this board responds. Every time they "update" the DIS it gets slower than it was before.

I don't, however, want to give up either one of them entirely. I get to talk to people on both sites this way. And there are no smilies on FB. :hippie:

I miss everyone. Wish they would come back! :sad1: I'm on face book but I really haven't taken the time to figure it all out
Well maybe we should get another GG I'm planning on going to the one in October.. It will be my first and I sooooo look forward to meeting everyone and talk over maybe a kungaloosh or BEER! or whatever! Any who it just seems like the board doesn't move like it use too.

I've never really been a regular poster here, but life sorta got in the way over the past 6 months. Hope to post more regularly, need to keep my sanity. Ok, maybe try to get some sanity??:confused3

Tax time - takes up a lot of my time. For some reason it is hard this year getting everything ready for the accountant. I was hoping it would all be in by a week or so ago, but now it looks like I will be working on it for the next couple of weekends. Also looking into a part time hospital assignment, but haven't quite decided if I want to lose a day off for it every week. I'm still around, though.

I'm in somewhat of a reflective mood and can't help but wonder what has happened that most of the former "regular's" of this board are now gone? Was it the anticipation of BatWit & the October GG that kept us going? Is it (perish the thought) now that most of us have met each other, the mystique is gone and the love affair has ended?

What happened? :confused3

I'm sorry Deb....it's my fault.:sad1:

Oh and BTW Facebook sux IMHO.

I am still here just not as many fun threads as there use to be to post on. I need golf carts, beer & kungolush. I have been noticing the camping board has lost its fun because the regulars are not regular any more. I use to spend a couple hours on the board a day. Now 5min's

Oh, wow, I'm sorry. I think it's my fault. I'm a known thread killer, no matter what the board is. On my mommy lists, as soon as I'd join a conversation about someone's pregnancy, they'd deliver the baby the next day and the thread would end. On my doggie lists, I'd comment on a new pup and the owner would give it up and get a cat instead. And in my writing circles, I'm even known to bring down entire magazines. As soon as I break into them, it's the kiss of death and they fold. In fact, I think I brought down half the publishing industry in '09.

How creepy...

I agree with Michael here. I used to spend hours on the boards and would check them in the morning and evening and usually spend 5 minutes tops each day. Many of the regulars have had really a rough year with personal things going on. The GG in October was awesome, however, there is nothing else planned and with Disney's rates, and not giving the GG planners good contracts, it has become difficult to repeat this adventure. I have met 95% of the regulars here and still correspond with them on a regular basis, however, not on this board. Facebook has taken over with many regulars because Facebook is not patrolled by people who have to deal with tattletailers. I know John's chat used to be the thing as well because we could say what we wanted and clown around and not get kicked off chat like on the Disney live chats. There have been people also that posted that have had hardships and just don't want to be reminded of the fun they cannot have. I hope if and when the economy gets better, people will come back, but right now, the board is lacking in content to post. I, for one, can only post so many times on a subject before I step away to let someone else do it. I say bring back the trolls. It might even be worth the points on my account to keep things active around here!;)

Deb, I really don't think the boards are lacking in content because a lot of us have met each other. I think it has made our core stronger, however, many of us now use other forms of technology for our conversations instead of checking the DIS constantly. Remember when I was in Orlando for my conference a couple of weeks ago? Did I use the DIS to contact you? No, I called you on the phone and we had such a wonderful conversation and we caught up on so much. Unfortunately, boards such as these have limitations and we are seeing them put into action after people actually meet each other in person. That is one example of many I can point out.

I really hope there is another huge GG. It was definitely the most fun I have had camping. I have made wonderful friends here and really appreciate this forum, but a lot of what I have to say to people I have met in person now falls under the "personal" category and making it public what I want to say to them is not necessary, so I use another form of communication.

I plan to show off my paint job on my newer cart soon (when it is done) and such so that to generate some new thread topics, but all in all, I also believe that most of us are in "survival" mode and just come here to check on what is going on and leave. Maybe it will change, maybe not. However, this is still the best place on the DIS to find friendly folk that don't bite your head off every time you ask a question. That is why I stay, even if only to lurk sometimes.popcorn::

No doubt we had some great and heated discussions in the past. Then the self righteous members of other boards got involved and the censor police killed all our free thought. Sometimes I feel like I live in Russia. Disclaimer: this is a non political statement that in no way expresses any negative racial or religious views, nor does it condemn anyone for their sexual orientation. Having met the Russian people, I harbor no ill will toward them as a society nor am I passing judgement on their political choices, I am merely stating a fact re. past censorship in their country of free speech.

we're all still around. jobs have gotten busier.. YAY! and school has restarted. so,it is back to reality. it was great at the gg and it definitely gave us all something wonderful to look forward to. can't wait to do another one. i try to check in on the boards at least once a week.

the company i work for is finally breaking even. they may even bring back the 12 hour shift (it is only a few people) which is a great sign. we have overtime available all week and have to work saturdays. dh is doing 18 credits this spring and is really busy with the homework. we are just working to get things done so we can get back to the fort over easter.

Jen, you said some good stuff,,I REALLY enjoy being able to meet and converse in person/on the phone rather than on the boards, e-mail etc. And for the most part, to me, I just see Facebook as another form of e-mail, boards, etc. Unless a person just HAPPENS to be on at the same time as you, all a person can do is post a reply, and come back later to see your answers.(Course, sometimes ya luck out and folk are on same time) (just like on Dis lately)
Denise and I were one of them folk that were hit very hard, as were many, by the economy,,,and I know that everyone thinks and feels different,,but for me, I'd rather be here with the fun and fellowship of those I adore so much and have the wonderful hopes of things to come. I mean, to just stop posting and associating with friends just because I don't want to be reminded of the fun I may or may be able to have later,,well, thats just not good thinking,,it'd bum me out more.
But I spose people are like that, :confused3

And who says Grand Gatherings havta be at the Fort ! We hope there will be one at Guntersville Lake in AL. this June, please bring your new buugy :banana:
And theres one in Gettysburg this season too !
I say pizz on Disney, other CG's would like to have our money at a chaeper price,:thumbsup2

John put out good money so we could all enjoy each others company, and BAM, it came to a stop !:confused3 But some would rather do Facebook than real rime talkn, :confused3

And I'll be glad to troll anytime ya'll want !
Wait, your not talk'n fish'n, are you?

I'm gonna post here with the full knowledge that I may get absolutely flamed hotter than ever. But since you asked, I'm postin'.;)

Two reasons we just don't do the "dis" as much as we used to. I think I used to have 2-3 posts per day. I was even mentioned in the "MIAs" thread awhile back.

1. Two years ago, we sold our Puma after our last Fort trip. We were just starting plans on our new home we were building and we knew selling the TT was just common sense. We needed the money and knew we wouldn't be camping anytime that year. We were right. Building a new house was very time consuming but well worth the work.

2. (Here comes the fuel for your fire) Maybe it's just me but it just got to where it seemed everyone just wanted to talk about getting together and drinking Kungaloosh. If the regulars want to talk about that, that's absolutely fine. But for me, it's just not something I'm interested in. When we go to Disneyworld, all we want to do is have a great time together as a family. We don't even talk to friends who have campers about going down there together. It's our time as a family and we've had some of the best memories ever. Memories that'll last a lifetime. Again, I'm not knocking those who want to talk about that and if they like grand gatherings, I hope they have many more. But it's just not something we're interested in taking part in so I guess I don't have as much to say.

On that note, though. Now that we're settled in the house, we're heavily hunting another new camper. We went to the Greensboro show a few weeks ago and we're going to the Raleigh show the end of February. I'll be very surprised if we don't have a new TT by April and we can't wait. We're already talking about our next Disney trip; probably in January 2011. Not going to the Fort for over two years has been tough. Once we get another camper, we'll make our Fort reservations, and then I'm sure I'll be lurking around here more and more. But if I do, it'll be more "Golf Cart Threads", "What's your favorite I-95 stopover?", "Hoop-De-Doo stuff", etc..

Preachin' to the choir here Deb.:rolleyes1
I miss all the old Fort Fiends. :guilty: The camping community board was pretty much created because there were so many of us regular posters to the camping forum. We became involved in one another's lives. We had a real need for our own community board. It was fun. We came to know one another. We've both supported one another through tough times, and rejoiced in one another's triumphs. I've been fortunate enough to meet both you and Rick, and Denise and Frank back in 2008.:wizard: However I wasn't able to attend the gathering back in October, so I didn't have the opportunity to meet many of the other Fiends that I've come to know here on the board these last few years. Reading about the gathering and looking at the photos here on the Dis, I really felt as if I missed out on a good time with old friends. :love:

I do think that Jim is right when he says that the new policies on the Dis have influenced the decrease in posting here in our community forum. While for the most part, the camping community forum was able to debate and disscuss anything with respect and tact (okay..tact is probably stretching it! :laughing:but hey..that was part of the fun!) that certainly isn't the case on the regular community board. It can get real nasty over there. :rolleyes1 I think our camping community has suffered from the change in policy.

I do miss everyone and hope that things pick up around here too!

I'm gonna post here with the full knowledge that I may get absolutely flamed hotter than ever. But since you asked, I'm postin'.;)

Two reasons we just don't do the "dis" as much as we used to. I think I used to have 2-3 posts per day. I was even mentioned in the "MIAs" thread awhile back.

1. Two years ago, we sold our Puma after our last Fort trip. We were just starting plans on our new home we were building and we knew selling the TT was just common sense. We needed the money and knew we wouldn't be camping anytime that year. We were right. Building a new house was very time consuming but well worth the work.

2. (Here comes the fuel for your fire) Maybe it's just me but it just got to where it seemed everyone just wanted to talk about getting together and drinking Kungaloosh. If the regulars want to talk about that, that's absolutely fine. But for me, it's just not something I'm interested in. When we go to Disneyworld, all we want to do is have a great time together as a family. We don't even talk to friends who have campers about going down there together. It's our time as a family and we've had some of the best memories ever. Memories that'll last a lifetime. Again, I'm not knocking those who want to talk about that and if they like grand gatherings, I hope they have many more. But it's just not something we're interested in taking part in so I guess I don't have as much to say.

On that note, though. Now that we're settled in the house, we're heavily hunting another new camper. We went to the Greensboro show a few weeks ago and we're going to the Raleigh show the end of February. I'll be very surprised if we don't have a new TT by April and we can't wait. We're already talking about our next Disney trip; probably in January 2011. Not going to the Fort for over two years has been tough. Once we get another camper, we'll make our Fort reservations, and then I'm sure I'll be lurking around here more and more. But if I do, it'll be more "Golf Cart Threads", "What's your favorite I-95 stopover?", "Hoop-De-Doo stuff", etc..

Hey, I don't like talking about golf carts, so I just skip those threads. You could do the same and no one would be offended.

I have also noticed several of the "regulars" that posted frequently when I started hanging around here are not on much anymore. But, I appreciate those of you that have hung around, and I do enjoy the conversations we have on the boards. And if you think about it, those that post here regularly now are the new "regulars". Life goes on, I guess.

I do hope that the posting picks up again as we closer to springtime...and hopefully these summer GG's in Gettysburg and Alabama will spice things up.

In addition to those, are any Fort GG's planned for 2010??

There is also one for Halloween, however, the interest has not been what it was last year. I am in for both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter