What's a solo trip like?

When is the best time of year in your opinion to go it alone. I never tried it, but after reading everyone's posts.. I am very interested.:idea:
Can't say it has anything to do with going solo or not, but I'm partial to early through mid-December because its the best time of year to be a kid again.pirate: However, late December when the official school holidays are in effect its too crowded with unpleasant and unhappy type folks (families with tired kids, parents on a short fuse, crying babies, etc.). I'm an empathizer so unhappy or unpleasant folks wreck my carefree kid-again experience. Did the Christmas and New Years holidays once, but never again.:sad2:

Solo travel is wonderfull I did it in 2005, 2006, 2007 and will be doing it again in 2009. I have to agree its best to be onsite (keep being asked why not hire a villa, what do I need with a villa? I don't want to cook and like a hotel). I have been to Victoria and Albert's twice and was made to feel very comfortableand welcome. On the second trip I got used to people talking to me, and when I took my sister this year she finally admitted she could see why I came back.

I've done several solo trips since 2006. Sure, you feel a bit odd at first with all the families and kids around. After a while though you just start enjoying everything. Especially the fact that you can do whatever you want when you want it. :thumbsup2

Here are a list of some of the good things about going solo...
*The top thing is you make your own schedule. You don't have to get anyones approval. You can wander around doing nothing if you want. Who's going to tell you not to? :thumbsup2
*SINGLE RIDER LINES!!!!!!!!!! I still remember riding Expedition like 4-5 times in a row while the same groups were still going through the lines. Even FP can't beat it!:thumbsup2
*You're the only one using your hotel room restroom (at least I hope I am:scared1: ). Makes getting out the door faster.
*Getting a seat on transportation is easy. I don't mind sitting next to strangers; using public transportation does that to you.;)
*Dining is easier. The wait staff doesn't usually mess up single orders, and the restaurants always have 2 seat tables or a bar to sit at.
*More space in the hotel room. I get to use the other bed to store stuff!

As far as doubts on going solo...
*If you get lonely just look around; there's always someone to chat with. You'd be surprised how much people love to tell you about themselves :teeth:
*Want a picture of yourself? Ask a castmember or a friendly traveler. Haven't been turned down yet. It's also fun to volunteer to take pictures for families.
*Don't like eating by yourself? Find a restaurant that's busy, or sit outside if you can. Gives you lots to look at. You can always chat with the wait staff if they aren't too busy, or the bartender if you're at a bar.
*Worried that people might stare at you? They're to busy enjoying themselves or fighting to get through their 'vacation' to worry about you.

Well, that's all I got. Not sure if that helps, but hope it does.:thumbsup2

I will do EE with the single rider lines when I can trust myself not to a scream like a little girl or b swear my way round it!!!!!!!! How come I can travell from the UK to USA solo go on the orange side of mission space but totally wimp out on roller coasters?

I've really been enjoying this thread. I recently got back from a family trip in which I scheduled a few solo days so I could see how I felt about an entire solo trip. I loved my solo days so much that I'm starting to plan a solo trip for next December!

Was wondering how other solos felt about eating at some of the higher end restaurants? I was thinking that I might like to have dinner one night at the California Grill, but was afraid I might feel a bit too out of place there. Has anyone done this?

I have been to Victoria and Albert's twice and was made to feel very comfortableand welcome. On the second trip I got used to people talking to me, and when I took my sister this year she finally admitted she could see why I came back.

V&A's...hmmm I hadn't even thought of trying that on my solo trip. I've always wanted to eat there, but no one else in my family is that daring. Did you feel uncomfortable at all eating there? I'd be afraid that I'd feel out of place among other couples.

I might plan a 1 day solo trip and stay at POP in early Oct. This will be added to my St. Augustine trip for that week. Was gonna go to the smokies in TN but don't have enough funding on that :)

I've really been enjoying this thread. I recently got back from a family trip in which I scheduled a few solo days so I could see how I felt about an entire solo trip. I loved my solo days so much that I'm starting to plan a solo trip for next December!

Was wondering how other solos felt about eating at some of the higher end restaurants? I was thinking that I might like to have dinner one night at the California Grill, but was afraid I might feel a bit too out of place there. Has anyone done this?

I have eaten at both Artist Point and Jiko solo. Both times I was seated at a lovely table, and treated very well by the staff. I'm just as comfortable eating at a high-end restaurant as I am in a more casual place...more so, in fact. I feel like I drew fewer strange looks from the other guests in the higher end places...maybe because I didn't use my glow-ey end pen to write in my journal in the fancier places...;)

V&A's...hmmm I hadn't even thought of trying that on my solo trip. I've always wanted to eat there, but no one else in my family is that daring. Did you feel uncomfortable at all eating there? I'd be afraid that I'd feel out of place among other couples.

No I felt very comfortable, and had 2 wonderful meals one with the regular menu and the second with the chief's menu. I am going back solo next year (go with family again NEVER :scared1: ) so its all my favourites and that is one of them, and I'll get to have a grey goose slushie missed that this year. So its Beach Club 21st september for 14 days!!!!!!!!!!

I will do EE with the single rider lines when I can trust myself not to a scream like a little girl or b swear my way round it!!!!!!!! How come I can travell from the UK to USA solo go on the orange side of mission space but totally wimp out on roller coasters?

Disney roller coasters rid me of my "fear" :)

I hold Disney Parks to a higher safety standard than any other park(at least I expect a higher standard--not that I accept unsafe practices elsewhere). Knowing this and knowing the theming is something I can focus on really made me enjoy the experience. I am no longer afraid of Roller Coasters. Give it a try...hold off on RnRC for a while. If you can do MS and Big Thunder, you'll have no problem on Everest. It's fast, so I do feel a bit shaky after, but it's a lot of fun. The theming is great and the queue is also one of the best anywhere...

As for solo trips, I went down for my CP in Jan '07. I had a free day before check-in and I couldn't stand being that close to WDW and not going to a park, so I bought a 1-day pass for MK. I had a blast. I hadn't been there in 15 years, so everything was magical! The first Disney ride I ever went on was HM, so I beelined for it when the park opened. I was the first one on it that day! Everything was great...it's so easy to experience the magic when you aren't trying to experience the DAILY AGENDA and please a group of people. I was able to take that day and relive all the great memories of my trip with my father when I was 7...PRICELESS!

Eating isn't that big of a deal. If people are staring, they have the problem, not me! It's just like going to the movies solo...who cares?! I don't go to talk to someone. I go to watch a movie. Maybe it's just me...

My final verdict is that the perks far outweigh any negatives! I love going with people, but enjoying WDW solo is fine by me too... :thumbsup2

...I am no longer afraid of Roller Coasters. Give it a try...hold off on RnRC for a while. If you can do MS and Big Thunder, you'll have no problem on Everest. It's fast, so I do feel a bit shaky after, but it's a lot of fun. The theming is great and the queue is also one of the best anywhere...
Disney is absolutely tops when it comes to queue theming. RnRC's queue theming and "peel out" is about all I remember. That is one fast ride, either that or I black out :upsidedow and only remember getting out of the car at the end. Anyway, I suggest waiting in the rollercoaster queues to enjoy the theming, then whimping out before boarding if necessary.

I wish I was brave enough to go solo. I just got the discount pin code but I have no one to go with. Husband and friends can make it. I am not so concerned about things once I am at Disney as I am about finding my plane and the airport transportation. I am very shy and I have never traveled alone! :scared:

Plus I have to admit that the trip seems so much more reasonably priced when it is two people sharing the room cost!

I wish I was brave enough to go solo. I just got the discount pin code but I have no one to go with. Husband and friends can make it. I am not so concerned about things once I am at Disney as I am about finding my plane and the airport transportation. I am very shy and I have never traveled alone! :scared:

Plus I have to admit that the trip seems so much more reasonably priced when it is two people sharing the room cost!

That's for sure!!!

I've traveled around places where I don't even speak the language, SOLO...if I can do that...I think you can make it to WDW :) I'm quite shy in person, but I put up a good front and a lot of people don't believe me...

Airports are easy...just follow the signs. If you get lost, there is always a gate or shop nearby and anyone working there can point you in the right direction. Besides...it's almost impossible to get on the wrong plane...

:) Give it a try sometime! Maybe not right now, but I think you will surprise yourself!

I'll be back in Orlando and working at WDW again in January, so if you do plan a solo trip after that...let me know. I'd be more than willing to check in on you once you're there and help to ensure you have a pleasant trip. I know solo trips can cause anxiety at times...

That's for sure!!!

I've traveled around places where I don't even speak the language, SOLO...if I can do that...I think you can make it to WDW :) I'm quite shy in person, but I put up a good front and a lot of people don't believe me...

Airports are easy...just follow the signs. If you get lost, there is always a gate or shop nearby and anyone working there can point you in the right direction. Besides...it's almost impossible to get on the wrong plane...

:) Give it a try sometime! Maybe not right now, but I think you will surprise yourself!

I'll be back in Orlando and working at WDW again in January, so if you do plan a solo trip after that...let me know. I'd be more than willing to check in on you once you're there and help to ensure you have a pleasant trip. I know solo trips can cause anxiety at times...

You are so kind. (and brave!) I am really, really trying to convince myself to give it a try.

You are so kind. (and brave!) I am really, really trying to convince myself to give it a try.

Thanks...:blush:

I just think...the world could end tomorrow(at least for me). I don't want to have any regrets if that happens, so if I sit around, waiting for others to get their lives in sync with mine, for this or that, any time I want to do something,...I'd have a lot of regrets. Don't get me wrong, I do love having travel companions, but once in a while...I enjoy a trip with some me time...

The parks are quite an amazing solo experience too...

If I can be of any assistance, let me know :)

I took a good friend down to Disney World this past March. This was her very first time visiting "the world". First day at MK was fine. Second day we went to Epcot. Epcot is my favorite park; she was not so impressed. As well as the "thrill" rides at the park, I also love Spaceship Earth, Gran Fiesta Tour, Maelstrom...she tended to yawn at such attractions. (And we were verbally informed again & again).:confused3 You could tell the entire time she was dying to leave. I never leave Epcot until after closing, but was a good sport & sacrificed for the sake of her sanity (and mine). I usually like to stick around & soak up the atmosphere in Future World after dark. (I know, I know, it's not all about what I want). :rolleyes1
We did have an enjoyable time overall. But it's more fun (imo) to fly solo when visiting WDW, or go with a fanatic as obsessed with Disney as you are.
Solo trips rule!

Second day we went to Epcot...she tended to yawn at such attractions. (And we were verbally informed again & again).:confused3 You could tell the entire time she was dying to leave... I never leave Epcot until after closing, but was a good sport & sacrificed for the sake of her sanity (and mine). I usually like to stick around & soak up the atmosphere in Future World after dark.

Ditto about Epcot and staying until after close. I can't say anything except: :eek:

...Epcot is my favorite park; she was not so impressed...
Some years back I thought it'd be cool to take my dad back to DL to revisit where my love of Disney parks began at the age of 6. The return to DL with my dad was my most unpleasant Disney park experience, ever. In a nutshell it was like trying to convince someone to enjoy visiting a dentist for a root canal. After several hours of what appeared to be sheer torture for my dad:sad1: we left. Seems I'm the only Disney-parkaholic in my family. My sister, brother-in-law and their kids visited WDW planning to spend a week there. After 3 days they felt too bored to stay any longer and left never to return (my niece and nephew are now adults). Solo is the best way to really enjoy Disney parks.:mickeyjum

Friendly Frog! You can do it!
The ones who stare might be the ones who don't know that ONE IS A WHOLE NUMBER.
Or maybe they're the ones who are thinking "wow, just look at her/him.... what a confident and graceful person! That's how I want my children to be when they grow up. Not afraid to step out of the circle. How I admire that person!"

Nobody else will know that you're nervous or shy! Airports are full of solo travellers, and how many of those do you actually notice in a condescending way of any sort? Very few I bet! And how many are wandering looking lost? Not many because of all the signs and directions everywhere in the airport!
And restaurants? Sometimes they're the ones reading, or writing, and sometimes they're the ones who look the most relaxed, enjoying the meal the most.. and quite often, they're the ones the wait staff enjoy the most!
But the ones who are miserable are either the ones who have been brainwashed into thinking its wrong to enjoy one's own company, or who would really rather be surrounded by their crowd and might not be there alone out of choice.

And quite often it's the solo person that notices more things! And even sometimes, becomes--get this--- the leader!
All it takes is a start! And you get to set your own pace, to decide how friendly or chatty to be, to decide if you want to change direction.

Oops! Sorry! That was lengthy! I just think if you have a hankering to try it, you can and should. Listen to the positive talk, not the negative talk--remember what puts a smile on your face puts a smile on others!!

Think of a solo trip as a luxury present you're giving yourself because you're worth it! (that's my logic!)

The return to DL with my dad was my most unpleasant Disney park experience, ever. In a nutshell it was like trying to convince someone to enjoy visiting a dentist for a root canal. After several hours of what appeared to be sheer torture for my dad:sad1: we left.
It's a shame that he's missing out on all the fun. Not very opened-minded of me, but I usually jaw-drop when I hear someone who can't stand WDW or Orlando.
To each his/her own.

Just to throw in my two cents, I was in Ft Myers working and got rained out for three days. I thought about renting a car and going to disney for a couple of those and I never did. I felt guilty because I have two young children that had never been, and I thought that I may look silly as a single there. My children and I went later that year and let me tell you we had a blast, but after that trip I realized that I should have went solo for some "me time" and that there were lots of people there as solo travelers. So you can bet if I ever get that chance again I WILL take it. Life is too short, make the most of it.

We decided I would do this last Thursday. Since then I have booked all except park tickets and will be down 9/15-9/20. This is the fastest decision and smallest wait time for me ever.

First solo trip to WDW. Already booked the Keys to the Kingdom tour and have decided on one TS but not sure yet. I'm counting on all I have read here about solo travellers getting into TS's without a reservation.

My other thought is with this opportunity I need to go to the Adventure's Club one night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter