What's a solo trip like?

biscuitgirl

Mouseketeer
I just recently stumbled upon this board. I originally thought it was just for singles, then I realized it said "adults", so I guess dinks fit in here too!

I'm fascinated by the idea of a solo trip. For anyone who has been on one, what are they like? Do you ever get lonely? Are these kind of trips better for outgoing people who like to meet others or can shy people have fun on these as well? Do you eat all of your meals alone? I'm curious! ;)

I just did my first solo trip in March of this year.. I am single...45 years old...outgoing most would think but at heart shy(Ok...for those who know me they would never believe it but I really am) I hate going anywhere alone and I didnt plan this vacation as a solo it just happened that way... Now when I say I am shy I dont mean I cannot start a conversation with strangers...that is VERY easy for me...but I do not like dining alone( Itravel for business all the time and use room service or curb side service...) I do not like to vacation alone etc etc... so I was VERY apprehensive about this and very upset that my vacation buddy had backed out on me....but one thing i know is I LOVE DISNEY:):) so away I went.. My only regret is that since I had inteded to have a travel partner I had booked a condo so I was not onsite...My advice is if you go solo book onsite.... I amazed myself by LOVING my solo vacation.. I never felt alone or isolated....The CMs seemed to cater to me ...(heheh I wonder if they are trained to look for solo travelers and be extra nice) At my dinners the servers always stood around and chatted with me...it was nice to go at my pace...see things I dont get to see or do when I am with others, take pictures I was never able to slow down and take etc etc...I was able to stop and take group pictures for other travelers so everyone could be in the shot...I helped a few elderly ppl push wheelchairs, I helped mothers with full hands push strollers and their dinner trays I bought ice cream for little kids...IT WAS A WONDERFUL AND VERY FULLFILLING VACATION:):) and I will do it again in a heartbeat...My next solo is scheduled over Labor Day weekend but due to some wonderful friends I have made it looks like it will not be solo after all:):)
I say go for a 3 day weekend and test the waters....you may just love it :):)

you don't know until you try one.

some people love solo trips.

others try it once and say never again.

everyone is different go for it!!!

For anyone who has been on one, what are they like?
I love my solo trips! You're on YOUR own schedule which means total freedom. Early riser? Then head to the parks and ride your fav rides over and over if you like. Late sleeper? Then head to the parks at your leisure. What it boils down to is it's all about YOU!!
Do you ever get lonely? Are these kind of trips better for outgoing people who like to meet others or can shy people have fun on these as well?
IF I get lonely, I just call home to talk to friends and family. But most of the time there's plenty to keep me busy.
Do you eat all of your meals alone?
I tend to do more counter service than table service, although I think character meals are great solo. The CMs tend to give more attention to us, as do the characters interaction.

As spiceycat said, GO FOR IT!!! :goodvibes

Well, I'm not really considering going on a solo trip, actually. My DH would freak out if I took a trip without him. However, if the opportunity ever arises, I won't hesitate!

Solo trips are so much fun, you can do whatever you want whenever you want!! I would try one sometime if you get the chance.

Took my first solo trip last Jan, and it was great. I did what I wanted when I wanted. I met people, always had someone to chat with at dinner. Did the tours I wanted to do that no one else in my family ever wanted to do.
I slept later if I felt like and I made new friends that I will see again next solo trip this coming Jan.:banana:

you don't know until you try one.

some people love solo trips.

others try it once and say never again.

everyone is different go for it!!!
I agree.
I'm 54 and thoroughly enjoy solo visits to WDW and DLR. I like doing what I want, when I want and changing my mind at the last moment without causing any problems. Sharing visits to WDW and DLR with family and friends have been nice, too. However, I've found solo visits to be more fun and relaxing for me.:goodvibes
...oh, and you can use the single-rider lines which are usually faster than FP lines.

My first solo trip is in 34 days! I am leaving DH and the 3 kids behind. Moms need a break too you know! :goodvibes

I'm excited to see the things I want, at my pace, when I want. I am doing the KTTW and having a few TS meals. I am meeting 2 friends on different days and that will be nice too.

I can't wait! I have wanted to do this for a long time!

Allyson :)

Yes I get lonely when going to disney without my family. But then again I like not having to eat when everyone else does or for that matter what they are eatting. I get to go to bed and get up when I want. I can stay for the parade and not the fireworks. I do not mind eatting alone.

when we go as a family I do what they want --eat what they eat -- and sleep when they sleep, But I always get up early to make sure things are done that need done so we can get to park on time.

Oh, best part of all I ONLY NEED PACK FOR ONE PERSON ME AND I KNOW WHAT I LIKE TO WEAR AND HAVE ON VACATION.

Take a chance and try it once for a weekend -- depending on where you live and what coast you are going to-- you might find you will do just fine.

Patty

For anyone who has been on one, what are they like?

Like heaven! :cloud9: It's like a trip to the spa every day. :banana:

I didn't really go to meet people although I did meet some really cool DISers. I went to get away from it all and immerse myself in the magic. It's a time to check out all the stuff you've always wanted to do and see at your own pace. I didn't mind eating alone. Most of the CS have great people watching and the TS has great ambiance to enjoy. I got to browse all the shops, do the afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian, and do all of my favorite rides as many times as I wanted. I finally got to see Walt One Man's Dream and other attractions the kids and DH deemed boring without trying them. I highly recommend it!!!

I'm 36 and single and have gone solo many times, mainly because I am a Florida resident (West Palm Beach) and want to get the most out of my annual pass! I have been going solo since around 2000 with the millenium celebration. I also go with other folks from time to time, but find if you go with more than just one other person, that it gets annoying and is not as fun because you don't get to do what you want to do. It seems that I always plan to bring other people but they end up not being able to go in the end. My family is not as enthusiastic about Disney as I am, though I did convince my mom to go a couple of Christmas's ago. She had a nice time but all the walking got to her.

You are never not around people at the parks so you don't have to worry about loneliness unless you are terribly shy. There is ample time in line to meet new people and chat if you wish. Most people are friendly but some look at you strangely when they find out you came by yourself - not something you want to over advertise for safety reasons - you can usually say the rest of your party or friends just decided not to go to that park that day. Usually I stay on property, but this time I am going in early August for nine days and was able to find cheaper accomodations off property. (Anyone going 8/1-8/10 - let me know if you want to meet for lunch/dinner?)

The key is to occupy your time. Going solo is a good time to do some of the tours and see all the shows and attractions you don't normally get to see.

Good luck and have a safe and happy trip!!!

I love traveling solo, though I've only been to WDW once solo. Like my other solo travels, it was nice to only have to plan for ME. I didn't have to spend time doing what someone else wanted to do. The more people you bring with you, the more you have to negotiate about what to do and when to do it. When you're alone, there's no waiting for other people to use the bathroom or being on different eating schedules or anything. And it is far less stressful than traveling with people whose travel styles are very different from yours. It's pretty wonderful, and I highly recommend it. :thumbsup2

I'm 58 and have been going solo to WDW since 1986. I highly recommend it! I go when I want, and come back to the hotel when I feel like it. I prefer sit-down restaurants to counter service, but I'll do counter service too.

The second time I went solo I felt a little lonely, but that's never happened again. I'm used to it now, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Try it; you'll like it! :)

Nora

Soloing at Disney is fantastic! I've been soloing a few times a year at Disney since 2000. It's actually the only place I ever vacation to alone - most of the time I travel with friends or family...and most of the time at Disney too. But a few times a year, opportunity presents itself to use up some of my DVC points for the year when noone else is able or willing to go - because I am so close to the parks it's an easy decision for me to take 1 or 2 days off of work and make a 4-day weekend.

I'm not hugely outgoing - I can enjoy good conversation and respond to others' outgoing personalities, but generally am not the one to 'start' the conversation with someone. Disney is a special place for solo travelers, because it is very easy to spend all the time you want by yourself...yet if it ever gets lonely or boring, you can strike up a conversation or meet friends in minutes without effort. You meet a surprising number of other people traveling solo - or at least in the parks for the day solo (they come with family, but split away with them for part of the day to do their own thing)...and just about any bench, bar, or casual service restaurant is the place you'll find yourself chatting with others.

I've actually become so accustomed to it that whenever I go to Disney WITH family or friends, I tend to find at least parts of a few days when I'll split up with them and go off to do my own thing, then meet up later. Solo trips to Disney can be addictive!

I admire all of you solo DISers! My DH hates WDW so I have to BEG him to go about every 9 or 10 years. Most of my friends have younger children and would never consider going away without their husbands or kids. The friends I do have that would/could go, don't have the $! I can't win. I have been seriously considering doing a solo trip. I'm just afraid I would be lonely, missing my DH, missing sharing the whole WDW experience with loved ones, that I would be too sad and not have much fun. I can start a conversation with just about anybody, but I can also be a little shy. I guess I'm just scared!

I admire all of you solo DISers! My DH hates WDW so I have to BEG him to go about every 9 or 10 years. Most of my friends have younger children and would never consider going away without their husbands or kids. The friends I do have that would/could go, don't have the $! I can't win. I have been seriously considering doing a solo trip. I'm just afraid I would be lonely, missing my DH, missing sharing the whole WDW experience with loved ones, that I would be too sad and not have much fun. I can start a conversation with just about anybody, but I can also be a little shy. I guess I'm just scared!

:goodvibes No one that knows me would ever believe that I have a shy bone in my body but when it comes to vacationing alone I truly do...or I guess I should say I did. I went on my first solo trip in March of this year and I loved it and I didnt meet up with any disboard friends to break the solitude. If you havent planned your time yet plan it around the time a lot of people from the boards are going and then make plans to meet up with them for a drink, or dinner or whatever. I had a blast when I went alone. I had a few melancholy moments when I missed my son, but they were not overwhelming. I loved being able to do Disney at MY pace, being able to sit down and relax and ppl watch , I love watching little kids expressions, it is just so awesome to see the wonder in their eyes:):
The cast members went out of their way to make me feel comfortable when I was solo, I never felt alone even at dinner. I was "singled" out at the Laugh Floor and that was kind of neat:):) and silly.... It was just a really enjoyable relaxing vacation. I would not want to go solo every vacation but I have every intention of going solo at least once every year from now on....
So I say try it for 2-3 days, then you will know if it is something that fits you:) If nothing else you can spend 3 days by the pool reading a good book and just relaxing, but my guess is you will hit the parks and enjoy every moment of it:):)

I took a solo trip to WDW back in 2006 for three days during the first week of March.

Really had no problem with being a "lone wolf". I spent one day at Magic Kingdom park, and another at Downtown Disney area. I never felt lonely, and had time to take it all in and enjoy the nice break from day-to-day life...at my own pace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter