• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What will pull what?

We've had both...I grew up in a Chevy/GMC family. We tried the Hemi and my BIL still has one. However, we are now back to GMC! :thumbsup2

250px-Silverado_006-1.jpg

Back when I was really young and still had siblings living at home...Chevy could have filmed a commerical at my house! :rotfl: Between my dad, 3 brothers and sister...it was a Chevy truck parking lot. When I was old enough to drive, I had a small foriegn sports car in the driveway! (no worries, I grew up and now drive a K2500 suburban):laughing:

drinking latte, chattin on the cell while taking up 2 lanes with the truck.

My first car was a 57 chevy wagon, I have owned about 16 new Chevys since then. Of the 6 vehicles we have at home right now our sons Pontiac Fiero is the only foreign one. :thumbsup2

Sorry...but this thread has me thinking of a Mater quote from Cars :lmao:

I once knew this girl Doreen. Good-lookin' girl. Looked just like a Jaguar....only she was a truck! :lmao:

All others are Tonka Toys...This is NOTHIN' BUT TRUCK, baby...NOTHIN' BUT TRUCK!:thumbsup2

Yep, Land Yaught :)

Img_7142.jpg

Kinda like having a minivan with a permanent trailer on the back, just hoping it'll take a while for the kids to outgrow the back seat!

Is that an '07...last I heard they were still debating putting a megacab on the dully's

It is actually an 06. I ordered it the day they became available. You can't beat the room in the Mega Cab. You can fit a house back there. I think what they are considering now is making it with the ling bed option.

Just go around the campground sometime and you will find that Ford is the most popular tow vehicle. I loves my F150.

who is got the best bang for the buck lets see some gvwr's then we will see who has the best tow vechicle
we could also get into the bigger then 1 tons dodge and ford have ones above the one ton 4500and 5500 on dodge 450 and 550 on ford chevy i believe go to a whole different platform they go to a bigger truck not the same size as a pickup more like the low profile international but hey lets compare them all

who is got the best bang for the buck lets see some gvwr's then we will see who has the best tow vechicle
we could also get into the bigger then 1 tons dodge and ford have ones above the one ton 4500and 5500 on dodge 450 and 550 on ford chevy i believe go to a whole different platform they go to a bigger truck not the same size as a pickup more like the low profile international but hey lets compare them all

My GVWR is 9,500 and GCWR is 20,000 and tow capacity receiver limited of 10,000 with a 4600 FAWR and 6084 RAWR and back in 2001 I paid just under 31K new with every option except leather, al. wheels, rear A/C, and CD player that was available for a regular passenger type Van. I put about $1,500 in finishing it off and almost $400 of that was for the window and door moldings that the cargo van didn't come with. So for around $32K I got a customized Conversion Van that meets all my needs.

When I'm loaded to the max for our two month trips to WDW where I have an extra freezer in the TT, and like 10 to 12 cases of seltzer and canned food plus almost 60gal of fuel along with my Honda EUI 2000, I gross close to 16,000lbs (around 9300 on the van and almost 7,000 on the trailer axles and am usually within 200 lbs of my FAWR and the TT axles combined wt. I have plenty of power even in the mountains, but because of the lack of an intercooler and the cramped space in the engine compartment I'm EGT limited on the more serious grades unless I drop out of OD.

Best part is once I get to Fredricksburg and I-95 I slap on the CC at 60mph and it never drops out of OD all the way to WDW and this last trip I got just over 10.5mpg when actually towing. I could probably get a little better mpg, but between fuel stops where I can get an accurate mpg figure there are usually at least 8 pit stops and two CG stops where there is quite a bit of idling.

Larry

After visiting WDW hotels since 1972, we're finally think about buying a trailer. What I need is a resource that lists (roughly) what size trailer needs what size tow vehicle. Right now we're thinking 25 to 30 ft travel-trailer, but I'm thinking the 5th wheel might be more comfortable to drive with a big load. ANyone know of a site with such information?

TIA

The newest 1/2 ton size (150-1500) trucks can have tow ratings up to 9,000lbs when you get the "heavy tow" or "max tow" packages for towing a Travel Trailer, but you would probably be more comfortable with a 3/4 ton+ truck (250-2500). For a fifth wheel, 3/4 ton size truck minimum, preferably a 1 ton (350-3500) size truck. I have seen the smaller 5th wheel campers for 1/2 ton and even small pickups (Ranger size), but rarely.

One thing about travel trailers and fifth wheels is wind resistance / aerodynamics -- basically, you are towing a big, flat, square box against the wind. If you are planning on towing a lot, look at the BIG engines. A Ford V-10 can actually get better fuel mileage than a 5.4L V-8 towing a trailer, and tow effortlessly while doing it. And you can't beat the sheer torque / power of the diesels, with even better fuel mileage.

If you aren't towing all the time, the smaller V-8 engines will work fine.

Just my opinion about all this... Have fun shopping and looking!

Statistically speaking, the Ford F series is the number one selling truck in America, and really I guess the world since we buy more trucks than anyone. I know I love mine. However, Chevy and Dodge make good trucks too. I here that the Nissan Titan, and Toyota Tundra are good, but I will put my money on Detroit steel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter