What was your first resort?

The Polynesian. We only stayed there because we were upgraded from POFQ at no extra cost due to some refurbishments going on at POFQ. We have not stayed there since, because we have been trying different resorts and I'm not sure I liked it enough to justify the cost.

The only time I've been to WDW was back in 2009 with our family and another family doing a joint trip. We stayed at Old Key West. I don't remember much about the resort, but I do remember that the dang bus played Jimmy Buffett every trip! And we were there for a week! o_O

After so many childhood trips staying offsite, my first Disney resort was GF in 1995 for my honeymoon. At the time, I absolutely loved it but for some reason haven’t felt a pull to go back. We then took an 18 year WDW break before returning for another offsite stay in 2013 and finally back on property at POR in 2015. While we liked the proximity to the parks compared to our offsite experience, POR wasn’t really for us. We then tried Poly (3x), CR, and BC before finding our true resort love: YC. Now I’m hard pressed to get DH to consider any alternatives, lol.

I'm just curious where everyone stayed for their first on-property trip. Have you stayed at that resort again? Is it one of your favorites?

The first time we stayed in the bubble was at Coronado. We haven't stayed there since, but we're going back in May and I'm so excited!

The old treehouses that Saratoga Springs used to be. I was 6 so I don’t remember much. After that I stayed at the Contemporary when I was 10 and I’ve loved Disney since. I haven’t stayed there since but it’s definitely a favorite and I do hope to stay there again someday.

We stayed in a Ft Wilderness Cabin in 2000. We camped there in 2002 and 2003. Haven’t stayed there since. The only other family trips were Beach Club in 2006 and 2013. DH and I have had some trips without kids and I’ve done some solo At a few other resorts.

i stay offsite more than half of my recent trips. Have a couple of onsite trips coming up in May and Oct, staying on rented DVC points.

Last edited:
First at WDW was the Cabins at Fort Wilderness in 1999, while I was at a conference at The Contemporary. Good memories, but the internal busing of the resort still gives me bad memories, then getting a golf cart (unexpected expense). Love the resort in other ways, just not the transportation.

AS Movies in 2005 when our son was 2yo. A 5 day trip including airfare, room, tickets, food, rental car was under $2k. Hah, that's what our park tickets cost next trip :earboy2:

There were WDW themed Mr Potato heads for sale in the lobby. Ours is still in the basement with his Mickey Bar, MGM Hat, suitcase and park ticket.

We've not been back for a full stay though we have taken the red eye flight and stayed there for our first night. Not our favorite but with the room refurbs we'd definitely stay again for the right price.

I hope you don't have a Mickey bar in the suitcase in the basement! ;)

I'm just curious where everyone stayed for their first on-property trip. Have you stayed at that resort again? Is it one of your favorites?
First was All Stars Movies. Haven't stayed there again.

AKL! We weren’t savvy to room view types yet and had an awful view of the parking lot. And a broken toilet. We tried to see the animals from outside the lobby but didn’t have any luck. Absolutely loved the pools and Boma though. Haven’t been back since, we’d rather stay at POR than a deluxe without any other transportation options besides the bus

CBR. It was lovely. Next trip, now with 2 little ones in tow, we went to ASMo. Loved the theme. Hated the noise and cramped room. Thought we'd go back to a mod. Booked POFQ. It closed for refurb and Disney offered any deluxe for an extra $25/night. We picked the poly, and while we've never been back to the poly to stay, we've been staying deluxe ever since! Those folks at Disney know what they're doing!

POFQ in 1999, with a terrific discount from the now-defunct Magic Kingdom Club (thru my job). Before that I'd had multiple off-site stays. I remember showing my room key to the bus driver the first time taking a bus from the resort to a park, thinking I had to prove I could use the bus!

I've never stayed there since, although I'd be happy to, but I'm pretty much hooked on AKL savanna view these days. And, even if not, I really like having a balcony on vacation, since I have no such thing at home in my apartment.

I do occasionally walk thru the grounds at POFQ--it's quite pretty there.

The Poly, but that was back when there were only two resorts and one park. :goodvibes

Since then, it's easier to list where I haven't stayed: The Contemporary/BLT, Wilderness Lodge, Coronado Springs, any of the Epcot resorts, Saratoga Springs, and Old Key West. And the one that just opened.

Prior to staying at the Poly, we stayed a few times at Holiday Inn Maingate East (my future husband, who had never been to Florida, was STUNNED that orange groves grew right up to the parking lot :laughing:) and at a hotel near the shopping village. Well before those trips as an adult, in April 1972 we stayed with my aunt who lived in Lakeland.

Last edited:
After many stays at my brother’s timeshare at Vistana (which was great!) We ventured to POFQ for a first on-site stay and have never looked back! Since that first on-site stay, there have been many (many☺) more.. YC. Poly. POR, POP, WL. BRV. BC. POFQ. CBR. some of these twice. Heading back in June - still deciding on a final landing spot... likely a split.
Perhaps RR and AoA. it’s time again for somewhere new! Traveling with a mixed age group (Us the “grands”, our kids & grandchildren) want to be sure everyone gets some of what they’d love. 😉

Polynesian 1988. Since then we’ve stayed at the Grand Floridian, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Contemporary, CBR and the Poly again.
Going back in July and doing split stay GF/YC

Our first was a dance competition and we stayed at all star music, my yougest will never forget this trip, she says she work up every morning with Elvis starring at her! And no we have not stayed there again! I actually consider OKW our first Disney Trip, the all stars was a whirlwind trip and didnt get to do a lot of Disney, it was all about the dance competition! And yes we have stayed at OKW again! It isn’t our favorite but certainly a good resort!!!

The first time we stayed in the bubble was at Coronado. We haven't stayed there since, but we're going back in May and I'm so excited!
When I was a kid, the few times my parents took us, we always stayed at the Polynesian. As an adult, I haven't stayed there for budget concerns, but would love to stay there again someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter