What to pair with DL trip?

Boardwalk_bride

Married in WDW :)
Hello,

We were planning a May 2021 trip to SoCal (pre-pandemic) and I got some amazing info on here (thanks!). We are now looking at 2022 - our daughter will be 5.

In the previous postings I learned about all the amazing things to do in SoCal and now that I am actively planning (because I need something to look forward too!) I'm wondering what others have done so I can make some decisions. We can probably go for 12 nights, including travel days (we are coming from Toronto).

As I understand, the 3 "areas" people tend to pair with Disneyland are Hollywood, OC beaches and/or San Diego. I'd love to do them all but that feels like to much. Ideally we'd like 4-5 days in Disney and would like to go to Universal (although if folks think the Florida one is better we can just hold off until we go back).

For context - we just went to WDW in January for our daughters 3rd bday. She did 7 days of parks and didn't even use her stroller. Flight didn't bother her but it was only 2.5 hours (whereas this would be 6, I think?). We are pretty active people who like getting out and doing things - so we'd want other activities nearby aside from a beach.

I also want to consider what fits best in keeping a lower budget - as we have 3 large trips in mind between 2022-2025.

TIA!

With a 5 year old, I'd skip Hollywood entirely and instead, spend a couple of days in San Diego. Another option would be to also visit the acquarium in Long Beach and/or the Discovery Cube museum in Orange. The La Brea Tar Pits is another option. That's in LA. Or you can hit up 2 museums basically at the same place by going to the LA Natural History Museum and the California Science Center next door. the CA Science Center has the space shuttle Endeavor. It's basically in downtown LA.

I'd probably spend a few days in the San Diego area. The big attractions would probably be the zoo and wild animal park, Sea World, Legoland, Old Town, and beaches. There's also a lot of smaller things to do, like Balboa Park with museum options, Torrey Pines hiking, the USS Midway.
Thanks!

With a 5 year old, I'd skip Hollywood entirely and instead, spend a couple of days in San Diego. Another option would be to also visit the acquarium in Long Beach and/or the Discovery Cube museum in Orange. The La Brea Tar Pits is another option. That's in LA. Or you can hit up 2 museums basically at the same place by going to the LA Natural History Museum and the California Science Center next door. the CA Science Center has the space shuttle Endeavor. It's basically in downtown LA.
Thanks! I think I'm leaning toward SD!

Another vote here for visiting the California Science Center - it truly is a great location with different exhibitions each time you visit, if you spread the visits out over a number of years. Although the Endeavor Space Shuttle exhibition is there permanently, it is certainly worth seeing again and again. New history about the Space Shuttle comes out all the time and is added to the exhibit there :)

Another vote for San Diego.

Your son is at the right age for Legoland, and will love Sea World and San Diego Zoo. The zoo is a lot of walking for a little one - so just be mindful of that. There's also La Jolla, which has a small (but fun) aquarium, Sunny Jim's sea cave (if you think your son can handle the steep stairs) and the sea lions on the shore. I'd allow an afternoon or so in La Jolla if you end up adding SD, but wouldn't use it as a base, because it's a bit far from everything.

You'll definitely need a car in SD.

Thanks everyone! When it gets closer I'll see how many nights we really need in Disney and prioritize everything else based on that. I think we will likely go again when she is older (for hiking) and probably again in retirement (I really want to do the Canada to Mexico drive!) - but that is a long time away! Maybe we will save by just booking a studio so that we can do more (I like having her in a separate bedroom and prefer to have a kitchen). Should we skip Universal? Is it any better than Orlando?

There are some great wine tours near San Diego. Temecula is a great area. I know you will have a wee one with you but the wine tours we went on were family friendly. One stop had chocolate pairings the children could participate in with their Shirley Temple and another vineyard had puppies. We loved that. I don't remember the name of the company though. One place I skipped the wine and went shopping while my significant other did wine tastings. Some offered lunch and some you can eat on your own within a time range.

There are some great wine tours near San Diego. Temecula is a great area. I know you will have a wee one with you but the wine tours we went on were family friendly. One stop had chocolate pairings the children could participate in with their Shirley Temple and another vineyard had puppies. We loved that. I don't remember the name of the company though. One place I skipped the wine and went shopping while my significant other did wine tastings. Some offered lunch and some you can eat on your own within a time range.
Oh, that sounds amazing! My parents joke that our daughter has been to more wineries and breweries in her 3.5 years than them in their entire life (so she is used to it!). That sounds like a perfect add on day for something for the parents - since much of the trip (and tbh, our life) is geared to her!

Oh, that sounds amazing! My parents joke that our daughter has been to more wineries and breweries in her 3.5 years than them in their entire life (so she is used to it!). That sounds like a perfect add on day for something for the parents - since much of the trip (and tbh, our life) is geared to her!
I think you will very much enjoy! I would check Trip Advisor for companies that do trips. In the meantime, I will look through some of our scrapbooked memory books to see if I might find the company name. I know our guide was Wayne but that is not much help. We had the wine cruiser with us and made purchases each place to bring home. Lots of memories and reliving the vacation each time we had a bottle with subsequent dinners. We learned about California wine history too. Temecula had vineyards before Napa/Sonoma areas. Sidenote: If you wish to go to northern CA for a wine vacation, try the Milliken Inn. Amazing!! We loved it and you can drive or get a driver to some amazing wineries within minutes. The Inn also has a reciprocal agreement with a hospital two miles away. You are permitted to use the workout facility for free during your stay. The most amazing place we have ever seen when traveling to workout. I mention all of this as our guide in SD/Temecula was the one that shared the info on the wineries up north. We saved the info and did that trip about a year later.

Another vote for San Diego! It is a favorite of ours and a regular Spring Break trip -- 3-4 days at DL and then 3-4 days in San Diego. The San Diego Zoo and Sea World are my kids' faves (they are not into Legoland AT ALL). Take them to Corvette Diner in Liberty Station -- super fun restaurant with an awesome arcade. We also usually spend a day in Coronado -- brunch at the Hotel Del with a little beach time there (not swimming, just hanging out) and then we rent bikes and pedal around the flat roads. LOVE San Diego.

If you can manage to get a reservation @ Crystal Cove, you may not want to leave. The Cottages are ON THE BEACH @ the north end of Laguna Beach. It's not too far of a drive to DL from there but San Diego would be. I wouldn't make it a home base for the entire trip but it would be a highlight if you can manage to get a couple of days there. Reservations are taken 6 months in advance so be on it if you are interested;
Crystal Cove Cottages

Another vote for San Diego... and although you can drive from Anaheim to San Diego perhaps add on some adventure to the trip by taking the Pacific Surfliner train from Anaheim down to San Diego. It runs along the coast and it was a 'great adventure' to our little guy at 4 years old.
In San Diego, the museums at Balboa Park are awesome, we got rained out at LegoLand (so I can't comment on that) and remember that the Safari Park is not super close to town. We stayed at the US Grant hotel downtown and it was a great jumping off point for our days there.

I think you will very much enjoy! I would check Trip Advisor for companies that do trips. In the meantime, I will look through some of our scrapbooked memory books to see if I might find the company name. I know our guide was Wayne but that is not much help. We had the wine cruiser with us and made purchases each place to bring home. Lots of memories and reliving the vacation each time we had a bottle with subsequent dinners. We learned about California wine history too. Temecula had vineyards before Napa/Sonoma areas. Sidenote: If you wish to go to northern CA for a wine vacation, try the Milliken Inn. Amazing!! We loved it and you can drive or get a driver to some amazing wineries within minutes. The Inn also has a reciprocal agreement with a hospital two miles away. You are permitted to use the workout facility for free during your stay. The most amazing place we have ever seen when traveling to workout. I mention all of this as our guide in SD/Temecula was the one that shared the info on the wineries up north. We saved the info and did that trip about a year later.
Thanks, that is great to know. We def want to do a wine trip to Napa one day - it is really high on our bucket list. We used to do a lot of wine trips locally before we had a child but Napa, Italy and France are high on our list!

If you can manage to get a reservation @ Crystal Cove, you may not want to leave. The Cottages are ON THE BEACH @ the north end of Laguna Beach. It's not too far of a drive to DL from there but San Diego would be. I wouldn't make it a home base for the entire trip but it would be a highlight if you can manage to get a couple of days there. Reservations are taken 6 months in advance so be on it if you are interested;
Crystal Cove Cottages
Oh no - you just added more things I want to do! Seriously, those look lovely.

Crystal Cove is a great place to explore the original cottages and it has a Tiki Bar and most important a parking lot across street with shuttle service . Very safe & well maintained. Plus just a little ways up or down a very popular ice cream stand Alongside the road.

San Diego area has a lot of nice breweries. This one had a really nice garden area for the kids to explore https://www.stonebrewing.com/visit/bistros/escondido

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter