What the HECK is going on???!!

CarolA said:
AMEN!

If I want to rent my points why do you care what I rent them for?? LOL! I just don't get these threadws about "Renting too cheap" So??? Most folks aren't doing this as a money maker and if they are, I don't really care if they don't make as much as they want.

(And Mousesavers is the greatest. I sent one of my friends there and she was SO grateful... it's the best of both worlds. Give your friends leads on saving and get yourself OUT of the equation!)

Yup. If I know we can't use points for some reason, I'd rather see them used and enjoyed by SOMEONE, at whatever price point. I'd just hate to see them totally wasted.

And my kudos to Mary, too. She's a valuable resource for just about all of us. We've saved a chunk of bucks on car codes and ticket discounts from her site.

DisFlan

mikesmom said:
So why should we beat the value resort? This not apples to apples, not even close. The only time I've rented is when we had a large family gathering blow up followed by illness in the family. So, I guess I shouldn't care.

I guess I'm just grumpy today. The bottom feeders make me nervous, particularly when they get mad because they can't have it all. I just noticed there seems more than usual.

The number of bottom feeders comes and goes. And like calypso*a*go-go said, there's going to be a big bunch of promo points around for a while looking to be rented. That'll dwindle down after a while - until the next promo.

A number of people may ask $11 or $12, and a few people may offer at lower than $10 - but $10 a point has been a fairly steady normal for a few years. It'll probably stay that way for a few more.

DisFlan

FoodLover said:
This is not AT ALL an accurate description of what I say on my site. I'm a DVC owner myself. I specifically mention that the average rental cost is $10-$12 per point.

And yes, for the past four years I've been sending a lot of people from MouseSavers.com to the DIS Boards to rent points, which has helped to create a very healthy market for owners who want or need to rent out their points.

I believe most DIS Board members who rent out points are benefiting from my link, but I can always yank it if that's the consensus... not that I've ever seen a consensus on ANYTHING around here! :rotfl2:

Mary
I'm sorry if I upset you, I did not mean to. I haven't been to your website in a while and I was just working on memory. My memory must be fading with old age. :blush:

Jody

By the way, your website is fabulous and I have recommended quite few people to look there when they are planning a WDW vacation.

Mikesmom -

I truly pray that you never want for anything...I don't think "bottomfeeders" is a very nice term.

mikesmom said:
So why should we beat the value resort? This not apples to apples, not even close. The only time I've rented is when we had a large family gathering blow up followed by illness in the family. So, I guess I shouldn't care.

I guess I'm just grumpy today. The bottom feeders make me nervous, particularly when they get mad because they can't have it all. I just noticed there seems more than usual.

Hi, I guess I'm one of those newbie "bottom feeders" that is making some DVC members angry. I have asked a few questions about renting for my honeymoon such as the typical owner policy on changing reservations. However, I can assure you that the price we are paying is no where near a value or moderate price. We were originally booked for 11 nights at POR but then decided to do the same # of nights at a DVC and it is over $1,000 dollars more just for the room! I apologize if I was asking too many questions but I think "bottom feeder" is just a little bit hurtful :confused3

I love it when some DVC members come on here and tell us how much we should rent our points for.

If I want to rent my points for $1 each, I will do it.

It sounds like you are more worried about "how others views your investment", or are trying to convince yourself of the value of DVC .. .

Supply and demand will determine the cost of rented points, not whining about it ! :thumbsup2

my4kids said:
Mikesmom -

I truly pray that you never want for anything...I don't think "bottomfeeders" is a very nice term.

I don't think it was meant to be. :teeth:

I have used that term myself in previous posts. I wouldn't apply it to people that are in need and are really trying to find a way to take their family to WDW on a budget. For me it represents the people that have made numerous posts about only staying at deluxes and then initiate/respond to posts on the Rent/Trade Board about how they can only afford $9 or less per point.

sajetto said:
Hi, I guess I'm one of those newbie "bottom feeders" that is making some DVC members angry.

Absolutely not!

You are someone that is just trying to plan a very special occasion (and rightfully so). I hope you were able to secure the ressie you needed.

I would say only about 5-10% of renters fall into the B.F. category. For the most part, people looking to rent points realize it is a stroke of luck to find someone that can help them stay at a DVC resort at a lower cost.

So please don't anyone be offended or be put off from renting. It really can be a win/win situation.

Hi, I guess I'm one of those newbie "bottom feeders" that is making some DVC members angry. I have asked a few questions about renting for my honeymoon such as the typical owner policy on changing reservations. However, I can assure you that the price we are paying is no where near a value or moderate price. We were originally booked for 11 nights at POR but then decided to do the same # of nights at a DVC and it is over $1,000 dollars more just for the room! I apologize if I was asking too many questions but I think "bottom feeder" is just a little bit hurtful

Sajetto, please don't think im picking on you, because I am not. I just think your post illustrates how DVC is compared to moderates and values in price, but not in accomodations and amenities.

You went from 11 nights at POR to a 1 bedroom Villa at OKW for less than $100 per night upgrade by renting points. So it is not "just a room" it is a Villa with King Bed, Jacuzzi tub, Full Kitchen, W/D, and full size balcony.

And I personally don't think you were asking too many questions, that's why we are here. And knowing is half the battle! (old Thundercat reference :goodvibes ) We should be welcoming and helpful but from time to time these discussions will come up especially with all the excitement about DVC adding the Dining Plan and the recent incentives.

Best Wishes and Happy Planning

Not renting my points, I don't really care if they go for $9 or $12 or $1 or $20. But I do have concerns:

1. Members who do rent posts and get a lot of responses that aren't reasonable because people either haven't taken the time to educate themselves, or think that if they ask enough, someone will say yes to $7 a point (my ex husband had that approach to picking up women). Or that someone else will have a BCVs studio for Spring Break. That must be a pain in the back end for members who rent.

2. Our rentees who rent points who have unreasonable expectations and then don't get them met. I've been in a few of the budget board/resort board threads about point rental as well - if one person managed to rent points for $7, a significant number of people think everyone can rent for $7 - that the $10 points are overpriced. I think it wastes their time and causes them disappointment because they believe they can get a standard view at BWVs for October when they start looking for points in June.

3. I think that because people don't really understand what they are getting, that the CMs at the resort often bear the brunt of the education process. Renters who normally stay at Disney resorts are used to the "smile and be nice and you'll get upgraded" approach generally working. They aren't used to having to PAY for extra towels, or not being able to get a rollaway. I suspect a lot of them arrive and wonder why the bed isn't getting made ever day.

To me, its an education thing that won't get resolved because new people come here all the time and they aren't usually informed. But I can see the frustration on both sides.

calypso*a*go-go said:

So please don't anyone be offended or be put off from renting. It really can be a win/win situation.

Oh no, I'm not offended. For the most part everyone has been very helpful and friendly throughout this process and btw thanks to all of you!!! Oh and liferbabe, I realize that for that size of a room that $100 night may seem like near nothing and for most it is, but for a grad student its a whole lot of money, especially when you are living off ramen noodles ;) The villas do look extremely nice and 1,000 will be nothing to me years from now when I think about one of the most memorable weeks of my life (but for now it seems like a million dollars) I am very excited about staying at a DVC resort and thankful for the advice, PMs, and best wishes. Thanks again!

Yes, I have "wanted for" things in my life, and thankfully, worked and saved and am now in a better place. My comments were merely noticing that there are lately a LOT of people trying to rent DVC that are amazingly uninformed and I was wondering where the sudden rush of potentials renters was coming from. Lots of these people are trying to rent the non-existent.

I guess my remark about "bottom feeders" could be hurtful and I apologize. I wasn't referring to people that actually ask questions - that only makes sense. I've answered many who question, and hopefully was able to be helpful.

I am looking at renting DVC points right now in order to see what the facilities are like and what the amenities are. My DH and I have talked about purchasing a resale but want to see what it is like before jumping in.

The DP is also a perk for people like me. I work FT for TDS and can get into any park for free along with my guests, but when it comes to dining and resort discounts its a big fat zero. This also makes un ineligible for the DP. Getting it by renting was recommended to me by a DVC member.

Believe me, if someone would post a forum about what renters need to look for and know that is easy to follow a bunch of the "bottom feeder" threads may disappear. Or, if members looking to rent out points would list the info and restrictions in their original posts offering up the points there may be fewer stupid questions.

I recently made a couple of reservations for some folks, all at $12 per point. I was able to get reservations that were just 43% of Disney would charge for the rooms.

The renters are quite happy with what they are getting, as they should be.

Those that rent for less than $11-12 obviously have no clue as to what the value of the DVC is.

For the value that DVC provides, $12 pp should be the price for distressed points.

Also, I think the bottom feeder tag is assigned to the people who come on here talking about "family tragedy", "home from mission fields of Thailand", "sickness", "sisters children, once in a lifetime trip" etc., "please sell for $7 pp, or I'll have to stay at a value resort".

Much of this from a lady who has been to WDW over 10 times in the past year, many times without her children. She was just on here two weeks ago begging for more points on the cheap.

I have recently rented points from an owner for a stay at the BCV in October. I am grateful to have found out about this process from these boards. Of course, I was looking for the best deal, as a society we are constantly looking to save a buck. I know people that drive across town to save 50 cents on laundry detergent. I have read on the budget board where people worry how to get a case of soda pop at WDW at the best price. People are carting their own water on vacation to save money. Seems crazy to me but it is all subjective. I realize there will always be those that try to take advantage of others but you can not be taken advantage of if you do not allow it to happen. If you do not want to rent your points, don't. I also think it is ridiculous of people to make such demands when renting points. I am grateful just to be on site. I don't care where you put me. The only request I made was that I not have a handicap accessable room because I want that bathtub. I don't care if my room is smoking or not. I don't care if I am facing north or south. I don't care if I am looking at leaves or parking lots from my window. I am truly thankful to just be at that beautiful resort.
The element of risk is what makes this such a stomach churner for me. I have learned in life to not sweat the small things. I lost both of my parents as a teenager and care for a disabled brother daily and have for 11 years. I don't worry about what I can not change. My husband and I are in our early 30's and this IS a once in a lifetime vacation for us but the daily worry of whether our vacation reservation is secure is giving me an ulcer. Literally. I know that at any point the reservation can be cancelled and I have little recourse. It is the "price" I paid for the luxury of being able to stay at the Beach Club. I am grateful that an owner with unused points made them available to me. Looking back, I wish I had coughed up the difference and rented from Disney.
Bottom line is, as said by others, if you want to rent at whatever price you see reasonable, rent. If not, don't. Certainly don't take offense to people looking to find the best price.
On behalf of renters everywhere, thank you to the owners that share part of the magic with us. Owning DVC is not "in my cards" but I am thankful that it worked for you.
I paid $9 per point and I realize that is a "steal". I did not go advertising for this price, I did not post any "sob stories" to secure a good deal. I replied to an owner with points for sale and paid her asking price. I assumed she needed some cash for Christmas or dues or taxes or whatever. She stated the terms and I agreed to honor them. Simple as that. Just like everything in life, we all place different a different "value" on items. What you feel an item is worth and what I feel the same item is worth can be very different but we must respect that we are all allowed to make up our own minds. Best Wishes.

Linzybrooke said:
Believe me, if someone would post a forum about what renters need to look for and know that is easy to follow a bunch of the "bottom feeder" threads may disappear. Or, if members looking to rent out points would list the info and restrictions in their original posts offering up the points there may be fewer stupid questions.

People like you are not the ones causing the problems. :goodvibes

Here's a link that is actually right here on the wdwinfo website that has a lot of good info. about renting points:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/dvc/renttrade-faq.htm

CarolMN said:
Seriously, why do those posts bother you? How do you know those posters actually get a rental for that price? If they aren't fooling you, why do you think they are fooling everyone else?

Why is it bad that there are so many "new threads" on the R/T board? The larger the demand, the higher the rental price should go. Or are you just opposed to renting in general?

No need to answer any of the questions, but I can't help but wonder why you "want to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused3

Best wishes -

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth - I posted a question on the DVC points board and my responses have been rather unsettling. I almost decided to not rent points but it's the most affordable thing to do in my situation (being widowed w/5 kids - and I'm not a bottom feeder, nor asking for sympathy, I only mention it because there's a story behind my hope to take my youngest 2). Alot of us out there who ask questions about views, pricing, dining plans, etc. are completely unaware of what to expect and hopefully are not put into the category of others trying to get something for nothing. We all appreciate all of the DVC owners for allowing us to stay at awesome hotels such BWV, BCV, OKW at affordable prices. I personally expect to pay at least $10/pt and wouldn't ask someone to go lower.

I presented a question on one the threads inquring if I rented a standard view whether an upgrade ever happens upon arrival - I was just curious and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers (the responses I got were kind of harsh).

I hope most of the DVC owners are as kind and understanding of people who rent points as you are - thank you!

heaven2dc said:
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth - I posted a question on the DVC points board and my responses have been rather rude. It makes me think twice about wanting to rent points but as it's the most affordable thing to do in my situation being widowed w/5 kids, I chose to do it. Alot of us out there who ask questions like the ones about views, pricing, dining plans, etc. are completely unaware of what to expect and hopefully others aren't trying to get something for nothing. We all appreciate all of the DVC owners for allowing us to stay at awesome hotels such BWV, BCV, OKW at affordable prices. I personally expect to pay at least $10/pt and wouldn't ask someone to go lower - I only presented the question if I rented a standard view whether an upgrade ever happens upon arrival - just curious.

I hope most of the DVC owners are as kind and understanding of people who rent points as you are - thank you!

I will say this thread has some posts that illustrate what I find to be really true of this board. Of all the boards on the DIS this one has the "attitude" Folks on here can be INCREDIBLY rude. If you don'l like a DVC resort prepare to be TRASHED... I have watched folks that I know personally be driven off because they didn't like SSR for example. (One of them got HATE PMS calling her names are banned on the site!) I have had some absolutly HORRID PMs because I don't agree that a handicapped room is the WORST thing that ever happens to you in your life (and if that's the worst that ever happens, you live a charmed life get down on your knees and thank someone!)

I have been really attacked here. Luckily I have the ability to remember that I don't really know most of you...

The only folks that bother me on these boards are those renting for "resale" and using "sob stories', but a little research can find them. I did post some points for rent. One of these folks contacted me. I just pulled up thier past posts and after reading I contacted them and said I didn't think we could work togehter... I gave no reason and that was the end of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter