What single item/article do you always take to the parks?

amberpi

DIS Veteran
My new little family (2.5 yo, 4 yo, DH) and I are going on a bit of a last minute trip to WDW in mid August. Locally, we travel very light for day trips like the zoo, parks, hot air balloon festivals, etc. and tend to pay for things as we go - and we're completely ok with this for ease of use. I've been to WDW probably 30 times in my adult life, but I don't know about doing WDW with these children and of course, want it to be fantastic. So, if YOU were going to WDW with this group, what is the one thing you'd want to keep in a park bag? What is something you would not want to be without for half days in the parks? We'll do rope drop until it gets hot, then swim and nap for probably 5 mid day hours and let the kids stay out as long as they can once it's a bit cooler. What's something you wouldn't want to be caught without?

We're staying at the Swolphin, and don't have an issue with having to hop an Uber back if things get hairy and we need a change of clothes or something. We really don't want to be bogged down with a bunch of stuff...but I also don't want to be completely unprepared.

snacks (go-go squeez, goldfish, dry cereal...)

kids Thermos. We use the free quick service ice water, but being able to keep it cold and with you helps

in mid-August, I would probably bring some cooling towels

Well, I'll assume you have the obvious covered, like sunscreen, snacks, etc. My unusual items are the little packets of lens wipes for my glasses/sunglasses. They are very helpful, especially after a water ride. There is nothing worse than seeing the lights in rides and shows with streaky glasses!

If you don't wear glasses or shades, then I will offer the suggestion of Band-Aids. They can be very handy for a little cut or something. Grab some Disney ones for extra magic!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's going to be almost impossible to pack very light with kids those ages. They probably will need a stroller at least part of the time. I wouldn't go anywhere without a change of clothes for the youngest at the very least - is the child fully toilet trained and/or do you plan to let them play in the water features at the parks? In August you'll also need sunblock, drinks, and snacks.

Remember with an Uber you require car seats for children that age so it may not be as easy or fast to get one as it would normally be.

You need both a car seat and a booster, so Uber is out. You can take a Minnie van, but at $25 a pop, that gets expensive quickly.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's going to be almost impossible to pack very light with kids those ages. They probably will need a stroller at least part of the time. I wouldn't go anywhere without a change of clothes for the youngest at the very least - is the child fully toilet trained and/or do you plan to let them play in the water features at the parks? In August you'll also need sunblock, drinks, and snacks.

Remember with an Uber you require car seats for children that age so it may not be as easy or fast to get one as it would normally be.

It is what it is, right? And it'll be great! I'm trying to be reasonable, which is why I asked:) I want to take what we NEED, but not more.

They are both toilet trained and probably no water features. They'll get plenty of pool time, but both kids hate having wet hair, since we can't go in and dry after they're finished, we'll probably avoid that. You can't get them out of the pool, but my god, they hate wet hair after the fact. We are taking a stroller.

I thought that the Minnie Ubers had car seats? We were definitely planning on using them for resort to resort travel. Hopefully I'm not wrong there. I should have been more specific, I know what a PITA it is to get a regular Uber with car seats...getting to the airport is such a chore now.

You need both a car seat and a booster, so Uber is out. You can take a Minnie van, but at $25 a pop, that gets expensive quickly.

In this context, I meant the Minnie Ubers. They are equipped with car seats though, correct?

It is what it is, right? And it'll be great! I'm trying to be reasonable, which is why I asked:) I want to take what we NEED, but not more.

They are both toilet trained and probably no water features. They'll get plenty of pool time, but both kids hate having wet hair, since we can't go in and dry after they're finished, we'll probably avoid that. You can't get them out of the pool, but my god, they hate wet hair after the fact. We are taking a stroller.

I thought that the Minnie Ubers had car seats? We were definitely planning on using them for resort to resort travel. Hopefully I'm not wrong there. I should have been more specific, I know what a PITA it is to get a regular Uber with car seats...getting to the airport is such a chore now.

Yes it will be great, just very different than before. It helps a lot that you can forego the full diaper bag, but I'd still probably pack a medium backpack with an extra set of clothes, a cup for the 2 year old, snacks, drinks, and sunblock. That's still on the lighter side of things yet covers the basic needs. If you need any first aid items you can always hit up first aid in the parks instead of carrying it yourself.

The Minnie Vans are usable and they are reserved via the Lyft app.

In this context, I meant the Minnie Ubers. They are equipped with car seats though, correct?
They do have 2 car seats. It's important to note that the Minnie Vans are provided by Lyft, not Uber, so make sure that you have the Lyft app installed.

Hey Amber! You can travel light, even with little ones! I have twins and an older daughter, and we never needed much for half days. A morning park bag for the kids would include:

—Snacks—cheese string, crackers (minimal, I wanted them hungry at meal time)
—Epi pen (dd has a peanut allergy. Ultimately, this is the only essential)
—hand sanitizer

We get water as needed at quick service. If they get dirty, so what? They’ll change when we get home. Be proactive with washroom stops and your 2.5 year old should be accident free. Worst case scenario, you buy something new.

They put sunscreen on in the morning, the stroller provides shade and when we walk, we seek shade. Sunburn has never happened in dozens of trips. They don’t generally carry toys, as I’m unwilling to cart them. I usually ask, “Are you going to carry that around all morning?” Then they decide to leave the toy home.

We are heading down in August too. My three are 8, 8 and 14 now so we travel even lighter. Dd carries her own epi pen now!

Hey Amber! You can travel light, even with little ones! I have twins and an older daughter, and we never needed much for half days. A morning park bag for the kids would include:

—Snacks—cheese string, crackers (minimal, I wanted them hungry at meal time)
—Epi pen (dd has a peanut allergy. Ultimately, this is the only essential)
—hand sanitizer

We get water as needed at quick service. If they get dirty, so what? They’ll change when we get home. Be proactive with washroom stops and your 2.5 year old should be accident free. Worst case scenario, you buy something new.

They put sunscreen on in the morning, the stroller provides shade and when we walk, we seek shade. Sunburn has never happened in dozens of trips. They don’t generally carry toys, as I’m unwilling to cart them. I usually ask, “Are you going to carry that around all morning?” Then they decide to leave the toy home.

We are heading down in August too. My three are 8, 8 and 14 now so we travel even lighter. Dd carries her own epi pen now!

Thanks for this, my DH had rolled light as a single dad, and we're not going to be pissed if we have to pick up a new outfit, or have to hit a First Aid station. I know how much happier he'll be if we can keep this trip bag to his small messenger bag; I also don't want to be miserable without something, so it's a balancing act, right?

I was thinking of the same on water, but with maybe 1 bottle of powerade for lines (should we use any long ones) if things got really off the rails. Washroom stops will be encouraged as we're not on commando trip and what the kids want to do - we'll do. This is our first family vacation, but won't be our last so as long as everyone is happy we don't HAVE to do anything. I bet the trip we take the kids on just a month after this one seems like a breeze!

This is actually what we were thinking about sunscreen (they'll also have their sun hats and sunglasses on). My DH has a FIRM no toys, lovies, etc. rule. They can be in our home or in the car.

Thanks to all for the info. I'm taking in everything I can!

I think most ppl covered a good bit also don't forget an autograph book if they want to meet characters. I keep that and a change of clothes in a gallon size ziplock. I also used to pack glow sticks and easy activities that were "gifts" to open while waiting in line or waiting to sit down to eat. It's a lifesaver for little ones. I'd get the magical clear market sets, books, disney themed stuff from the dollar store and glow sticks for at night and they were happy as could be. I also will say the added bonus of having little ones is the stroller, you can put your backpack/diaper bag in that and not have to carry it around like I do now :(

And for adults, and your cell phones, a portable charger. Nothing worse than seeing ppl at WDW plugged into an outlet instead of enjoying the park.

SNACKS AND WATER. Listen, I KNOW you can buy snacks and get free water in the parks. But kids, especially kids that little, will pretty much never ask for a drink or snack when it's convenient. They'll want something when you're standing in line for a meet and greet. Or on the bus. Or waiting for fireworks to start. You get the idea. Having little snacks and water bottles with you will make it so much easier. Cannot stress that enough. :)

Yes it will be great, just very different than before. It helps a lot that you can forego the full diaper bag, but I'd still probably pack a medium backpack with an extra set of clothes, a cup for the 2 year old, snacks, drinks, and sunblock. That's still on the lighter side of things yet covers the basic needs. If you need any first aid items you can always hit up first aid in the parks instead of carrying it yourself.

The Minnie Vans are usable and they are reserved via the Lyft app.

Yes - different, but wonderful in a whole new way I'm betting. The 2 year old will be just months shy of 3 - and already 38 inches almost 40!, so we decided to just go for it, even if it's nuts at these ages. The 2 year old is free, we had the full week for custody, so why not just go all out on our first family trip?

I think that bag is where we're at plus wipes/sanitizer (the little one will pick up anything, including dog poop [thanks, son]) so that seems like a small but reasonable amount.

I think most ppl covered a good bit also don't forget an autograph book if they want to meet characters. I keep that and a change of clothes in a gallon size ziplock. I also used to pack glow sticks and easy activities that were "gifts" to open while waiting in line or waiting to sit down to eat. It's a lifesaver for little ones. I'd get the magical clear market sets, books, disney themed stuff from the dollar store and glow sticks for at night and they were happy as could be. I also will say the added bonus of having little ones is the stroller, you can put your backpack/diaper bag in that and not have to carry it around like I do now :(

And for adults, and your cell phones, a portable charger. Nothing worse than seeing ppl at WDW plugged into an outlet instead of enjoying the park.

Chargers are so necessary these days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter