What single item/article do you always take to the parks?

I'm no expert but I would take a small backpack to throw under the stroller (or hang from than handle):

a change of shorts/underwear (if they're close to the same size take one set that could fit either of them, who cares if a girl has to wear a pair of gym shorts)
a very small snack or two (baggie of grapes or box of raisins etc) kids can go from "I'm full" to full on HANGRY in seconds
2 sippy/straw cups, same as above (you can split a bottle of water or juice box between them)
a couple individually wrapped wet wipes
a couple of bandaids (anything more than a minor scrape just go to first aid but hate to leave a line because of a tiny boo-boo)
tissues
ziploc for your phone(s)
aspirin if you're prone to headaches

that's about it. anything else is gravy but I like to have a few things that can improve a situation quickly without having to leave a line or wait in a line with upset kids.

THis video showed up in my YouTube feed today and I thought of this thread. This woman brings almost as much in her day bag as I pack for the whole trip.

THis video showed up in my YouTube feed today and I thought of this thread. This woman brings almost as much in her day bag as I pack for the whole trip.

OOOOMMMMGGGGG!!!!I couldn't ever imagine carrying that much STUFF around everyday at the parks. With how big that bag is, her or her husband must look like a pack animal carrying that bag around.

I pretty much became a minimalist after my kids got out of diapers. If they want a snack, I buy a snack, if their clothes need changed, I buy clothes (seriously, I've done it before). They can walk around with their Mickey bar smeared on their shirts for a few hours ... it's not going to kill them ...it's life. I used to carry a big camera, but now cell phones do an awesome job and we get the memory maker. Sunscreen is applied in the morning ... we have never had any big sunburn issues, even in the summer. Bug spray - pretty much never use at WDW and have never had any bug bites that I remember. Wet wipes might be nice, but you can use a wet napkin in a pinch.

With all of that being said, you do have at least one stroller anyway, so you can take advantage of the underneath storage if you want to pack some of the things mentioned previously.

Power bank for my phone so I can keep it charged up for making additional fastpasses and photos. Also wet wipes and hand sanitizer are a must for me.

My DH spent most of his adult life in Europe...they parent differently. If I asked him to haul this much stuff (I have some physical limitations with my balance so it's on HIM) he'd be like why are we doing this? We will put a small messenger bag in the stroller with wipes, (I keep a couple of bandaids in my wristlet), a powerade or water or whatever for a pinch, fruit snacks, and maybe some grapes. We'll RD, have sunscreen, sunglasses, and sunhats on already and be back at the resort by lunch or just after to get out of the heat and for the kids to rest. We'll return to the parks around 4-5 with fresh clothes and sunscreen. Or that's our plan; this entire thing could go a different way than I envision, and I'm ok with and half way expect it.

@TwinkleKS - I am a bit of a born minimalist, so I was looking for the 1 thing everyone agreed on. Seems we need a small bag, and we are doing a stroller for the mornings at least. For nights were it's just dinner and Epcot fireworks, we may go bagless and stroller less. Swan to the boat to WS dinner, fireworks, and then right back for bedtime seems like a good plan to wear them out without it being too much walking and they won't be terribly far off their bedtime here with the time change.

If everything goes to crap the first day with this plan, we have larger bag of the exact same messenger bag we can load up with more stuff. If we need none of it, we ditch it and save that much weight. Because I can't/shouldn't help with this; if I can make it easier on my husband I will.

Thanks to all for the advice, ESPECIALLY about extra potty trips. We will do that most certainly.

@drwadadli - never took even a small bag with little kids? I'm just worried about messes and thirst/snack requests in line. If it's possible, I'm open to it. Any desire to share your tips? Did you also go stroller less?

@drwadadli - never took even a small bag with little kids? I'm just worried about messes and thirst/snack requests in line. If it's possible, I'm open to it. Any desire to share your tips? Did you also go stroller less?
My wife and I are CBC (Childless by Choice) or DINK (Dual income; no kids) therefore; we have no problem going bagless since we don't have little kids. Also, therefore; yes we go stroller yes.

Even when I was a kid, my parents used a stroller at WDW until I was 4 and was able to walk. The first time I went to WDW was February 1972 for my first birthday. Obviously I don't remember those times, but I did see pictures where my mom would put a bag over the stroller handle. Once I was about 4, I would walk and we took no stroller and mom would only carry a pulse and no bag.

My wife and I are CBC (Childless by Choice) or DINK (Dual income; no kids) therefore; we have no problem going bagless since we don't have little kids. Also, therefore; yes we go stroller yes.

Even when I was a kid, my parents used a stroller at WDW until I was 4 and was able to walk. The first time I went to WDW was February 1972 for my first birthday. Obviously I don't remember those times, but I did see pictures where my mom would put a bag over the stroller handle. Once I was about 4, I would walk and we took no stroller and mom would only carry a pulse and no bag.

I was a dink in the parks until I married into a beautiful family recently and never carried much of anything other than a cc, phone, Id, and room key. I was awesome at doing wdw as a couple, but this young family thing is new. I don’t even know why I’m even over thinking; my dh is amazing without me and used to going it alone, but advice and experiences are always welcome.

Last edited:
The one thing we always keep with us a ziploc bag full of baby wipes. They can help clean up messy kids as well as keep them cool when it's hot out.

My only advice (because you’ve gotten so many good tips already) is to have them drink some water almost every half hour. August heat on little ones can be killer and they just don’t ask-learned this the hard way.
And-enjoy every minute! What wonderful memories you’re going to make!

Okay... Here's my take and what I take into the park when we have my 3 year old Grandson...

Stroller and stroller cover - I use it no matter if its raining or not, lets just say we had some rouge squirrels get into the stroller and get into the pop corn bucket, and left us a little gift on the seat... So now I cover the stroller

Disney back pack - sunscreen, wipes, hand sanitizer, a complete change of clothing - shirts (2), shorts or long pants depending on time of year), underwear, socks, and shoes or flip flops, hat and sunglasses, in a ziploc bag in case the back pack gets wet. And a couple extra ziploc's for wet clothing, or half eaten snacks, Insulated cup.,... Rain jacket, or poncho.... In the evenings, I would bring some type of long sleeves, and depending on time of year a blanket. Also in a ziploc a few small toys, and some crayons, and coloring books, or stickers.. this is so helpful at the table, or if you are standing in a long line. A small hand towel.. for drying off seats, wiping off rain jackets, or even the family...

Insulated lunch bag - the one I use I have had forever and it fits into the backpack, or depending on what your taking in a collapsible cooler with 2 kiddos you might want to use a small one - I use a gel freezer pack to keep things cool, inside goes couple of juice boxes, and some snacks ( nothing that will melt). We like the juice boxes, at the QS you can ask for large cup of ice and fill the insulated cup with ice and the juice ... I found some at Wal-mart for around 5 to 8 dollars that works perfect for this...

As you can tell I love zip-lock bags, for me its easier to keep everything together, and if someone else needs to get into the back pack they aren't digging around, everything is together...so basically I will have all this in the back pack.

1) ziploc's with clothing and shoes
1) ziploc's with sunscreen, wipes( one pkg for people use and the other for wiping off tables, chairs or whatever), hand sanitizer ( you can get a clip on one and put it on the straps) and a hand towel - I have used a old bath towel and cut it up so if I need to throw it away it not a big deal
1) ziploc's with toys and crayons, coloring books, sticker or whatever ( hit up the dollar store or target dollar zone, and change up the selection each day)
1) insulated lunch bag with snacks and juice boxes
1) insulated cup
Rain jackets or hoodies, or a small blanket if needed
extra ziploc's

I hope this helps...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter