What item of clothing would you love but can never find?

A bra with super wide "straps." I have permanent furrows in my shoulders after 40-something years of wearing a bra in which all of the weight is concentrated in an area that's less than an inch wide.

You should be able to get a style with wider straps, but you also may be wearing the wrong bra size. I suggest getting a professional fitting. My mother, like you, had the “furrows” and suffered with pain for years (she would’ve benefitted from reduction surgery). In her later years, she finally got some properly fitted bras in a better, more comfortable size and style for her figure, and it made a big difference. You also should replace any old bras that are too loose. Most of a bra’s support should come from the band, but when it becomes stretched out, the weight transfers to the shoulder straps.

Good athletic/outdoors wear. I'm a larger woman who likes to hike and be in nature, and it is a constant irritation that outdoors brands are virtually all sized based on the assumption that fat people (or more specifically, fat women - men's stuff is usually available in more extended sizes) don't go outdoors.

Reactions: NAB
Thank you for the information. The other dresses are sheaths, not A-line or fit and flare. If I size up for a sheath to feel comfortable around my hips, the top looks sloppy. I actually like the Tahari floral fit and flare but I don't do big florals. I used to make all my own dresses, skirts, etc. But I'm sort of past that now. I may have many of those patterns in my basement. Maybe I'll look for a seamstress.
Are you in the clothing design business? I'd love to know why petites and ladies of a certain age are practically ignored.
Not my day job, but I make costumes.

Petites are not ignored, but the fashion industry at large caters most to young adults, who tend to spend the most on clothing overall. They seem to believe that women over 60 have completely given up structured clothing and only want to wear stretchy knits. The majority of petite sizes sold are also small sizes, and again, they are marketed most to the young. My 14yo DD has no trouble finding petite items she likes, but I have more difficulty. I noticed long ago that stores from the South tend to carry more petites and more items for the mature buyer in the moderate-price market, so I make it a point to shop for dressy clothing on visits to cities such as New Orleans and Charleston, and stash them for when they are needed. I'm unfortunately not thin, but I'm still short and short-waisted, though technically, at 5'3.5", I'm too tall to officially be in the petite height range.

PS: Lately I have found that Facebook, of all places, is the best place to find someone to sew.
I belong to several local FB groups that discuss sewing and good pattern finds, and often those folks are looking to take commissions. I hire from there when I need help with a show.

Last edited:

Good athletic/outdoors wear. I'm a larger woman who likes to hike and be in nature, and it is a constant irritation that outdoors brands are virtually all sized based on the assumption that fat people (or more specifically, fat women - men's stuff is usually available in more extended sizes) don't go outdoors.
Have you tried the Magellan in-house brand from Academy Sports? I really like their outdoor clothes, which come in womens sizes up to 3X, and are nicely-priced as well. Like Columbia PFG, which also comes in plus sizes, these pieces are mostly marketed for fishing, but they are great for hiking, too. (After all, fishing often involves hiking out to your spot. Quick drying, lots of pockets, sun coverage with vents ... all the usual for outdoor time.)

Last edited:
A dressy dress with 3/4 sleeves, modest neckline (scoop or "v"), knee length, A-line or slight fit-and-flare. No glitter, jewels or lace. Solid color but not black. Sounds simple but does not exist.
https://www.eshakti.com -- good service, lots of selection (colors, fabrics, styles, sizes -- even petites!), etc. I've used them for swing dance clothes (modest dresses, skirts are not easy to find in petite sizes in dance styles) and been very happy with the results.

Women’s shirts that aren’t see through or have low arm holes.

Especially with so much only being offered online, it’s comical how often I’ve had to return something because the thinness of the material should have disqualified it as clothing. And it’s annoying when they purposefully disguise it in the product photos, like they obviously had to retouch it.

I really like Athleta and Calia. Both offer plus sizes and also often include plus size model photos in the product descriptions.

https://www.eshakti.com -- good service, lots of selection (colors, fabrics, styles, sizes -- even petites!), etc. I've used them for swing dance clothes (modest dresses, skirts are not easy to find in petite sizes in dance styles) and been very happy with the results.
Thanks! Glad it works out for you.

Such a great concept....semi-custom clothing....pick the skirt, pick the top, the neckline, the sleeves. Just wish it was made in US...I've heard some hilarious stories about the quality and fit of dresses from these online overseas shops. My daughter had to order one for a wedding (bride's choice) and we both could have fit in it. Cost more to alter it than the dress cost and it still didn't look right.

I went to a fully bespoke shop in my area. They have sample styles you can try on in a few sizes then they measure you and you pick fabric and colors from a sample book. Problem was a dress is $800-900. A bit more than I want to pay. Seems like a major retailer (Nordstrom, Dillards, Macy's) could get on the band wagon and get the price for a semi-custom down to $300-400. That could be a big seller among adult professional women with disposable income. All my friends lament the trashy styles in the stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter