What is the going rate for tipping for daily housekeeping services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity what do you tip the pilots that got you there and home safety?
The pilots are making 3-10 times what the best-paid housekeeper makes, and theirs is a salaried profession, not one that relies on tips to supplement hourly compensation. Hopefully you already knew that.

Let's not engage in appeals to extremes.

Last edited:
The pilots are making 3-10 times what the best-paid housekeeper makes, and theirs is a salaried profession, not one that relies on tips to supplement hourly compensation. Hopefully you already knew that.

If you looked at my avatar here you should have a pretty good idea that I do know pilot salaries well.

I would also remind you that your average airline pilot spend well over 250,000 dollars getting into that seat, and making that money, and has more responsibility then you might expect.

Although a question of semantics if Disney consider housekeeping non tip employees, who are we to argue….

All things are relative.
In Europe it is consider rude to tip.

Maybe we are backwards in this county?

If you looked at my avatar here you should have a pretty good idea that I do know pilot salaries well.

I would also remind you that your average airline pilot spend well over 250,000 dollars getting into that seat, and making that money, and has more responsibility then you might expect.

Although a question of semantics if Disney consider housekeeping non tip employees, who are we to argue….

All things are relative.

I'm not getting into an off-topic debate.

If by “going rate” you mean “most common amount”, that would be zero dollars, as I expect 0% of international guests would even think of tipping for housekeeping, and as for US guests, if my kids are anything to go by the concept of “cash” is weird and alien to anyone under about 30. For myself, we are usually in a 2BR or GV and I will typically leave $5 for trash and towels, $10 for a regular full cleaning and $20 at checkout as I always feel bad about all the leftover food, milk, etc. that needs to be disposed of.

My husband and I leave $5/day plus $5 if requesting something (towels, coffee, etc) be delivered to our room. It’s just the two of us and we keep the room pretty neat!

Housekeeping isn’t a tipped position at Disney. They are paid $20 an hour by Disney. They should not be relying on tips to supplement their hourly wage as I’m sure 50% of guests or higher don’t tip.

We tip them if they actually come to our room but it is not a tipped position.

What do pilots have to do with housekeeping ? Pilots make great money while housekeeping is a back breaking job . These people can barely pay their bills with what they get paid . Housekeeping is not considered mandatory tipping position but has always been thought of as customary to tip them . You would be surprised how many people don’t tip though . It’s a hard job to fill too . After covid you could barely get any housekeepers . Please be thankful for their service and tip them .

All things are relative.

Aren't most airlines pilots former military, at least in America? They didn't pay a penny for their training. They got paid by the government to learn to fly planes and then took that skill with them to the civilian side after they left military service.

Aren't most airlines pilots former military, at least in America? They didn't pay a penny for their training. They got paid by the government to learn to fly planes and then took that skill with them to the civilian side after they left military service.
No,
Most pilots have paid for their own training, and college.

And to imply that any member of the military ”didn’t pay a penny”completely misunderstand the blank check our service members write to the federal government for any amount up to and including that persons life….

Well if we're using money spent to get into the profession as the threshold for when to tip, then we should probably also be tipping our doctors, as they spend a ton of money on their education before they can practice independently.

Most? I don't think so these days.
Still, military pilots incur military commitments of multiple years in exchange for their training. They don't make big civilian bucks and most of them move all over the world. It's not a particularly lucrative lifestyle. I appreciate their service and understand generally the military needs younger pilots. The airlines not so much.
And many folks gain skills in the military that they continue to use in later civilian life. This is not a problem.

Like most who responded to this thread, we tip $5/day. We are two adults and not terribly messy. I suppose if we had kids and all their crap in tow and/or it was summer and we were doing multiple showers and lots of towels I'd probably go higher!

Just out of curiosity what do you tip the pilots that got you there and home safety?
Nothing. We drive everywhere. So I thank my husband for doing that. Not to mention, pilots are paid a lot more than the housekeeper at my hotel and they don't have to clean up all the crap people leave in their hotel rooms (or even in their plane seats/bathrooms). Not really a good comparison. I do however tip a bus driver when we do a bus tour as they *do* actually clean the bus during our trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter