What is the going rate for tipping for daily housekeeping services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXmouse

Mouseketeer
I've left $5 a day for housekeeping for ages. Is it now higher with all the recent inflation?

We are pretty tidy (DH is military) and make sure to get most items off flat areas (like the sink area) so everything can be easily cleaned.

If it matters we are at the Swan Reserve so kind of Deluxe level accommodation I guess?

We did $20 first night (had two minor requests) and $10 per day after for YC CL. Best housekeeping we ever had.

1 or 2 br villa, $20 on full clean, 5 for towels.

Tip what you feel is appropriate. Disney does not categorize housekeeping as a tipped position.
True, but then OP is staying at the Swan Reserve. Although located on Disney property the Swan Reserve is a Marriott property not Disney

True, but then OP is staying at the Swan Reserve. Although located on Disney property the Swan Reserve is a Marriott property not Disney
I don't think any hotels can classify their housekeeping as "tipped" and only pay them $2.13/hr. - I believe the below minimum wage base pay because it's a tipped position is only for food servers.

I don't think any hotels can classify their housekeeping as "tipped" and only pay them $2.13/hr. - I believe the below minimum wage base pay because it's a tipped position is only for food servers.
Not true. Bellhops and valets are other examples.

It's very subjective. I usually leave a few dollars a day and a $5 on checkout, but I've heard others in discussions similar to this say they leave $20-$30 per day.
If your kids are totally wrecking the place on a daily basis I guess I could see $20… but that could explain why my $5/day did not help get my room done any more promptly in May 🤪

If your kids are totally wrecking the place on a daily basis I guess I could see $20… but that could explain why my $5/day did not help get my room done any more promptly in May 🤪
Yeah, we don’t trash the room. I think $5 was standard but I feel like it’s been that way a while. I was wondering if standard had jumped to maybe $10/day.

We don’t trash the rooms either, we’re generally pretty neat and tidy, but we do $5 daily. On check out day there is usually a lot more garbage and a fridge to clean out, so we’ll often leave $20 that last day.

Talking to housekeeping, there are a lot of people who don’t tip either! They do appreciate it for sure.

There is no “going rate” and you’ll hear very strong opinions all over the board. Everything from $0 and up.

Personally I’m in the $5-$20 range, somewhat dependent on what kind of bills I have, if it’s just us tidy adults, or if it’s the summer and we’ve plowed through 3 baths a day and a mound of towels, etc. We’re generally pretty tidy but I highly value coming back to a fresh room and I personally like to show my thanks with a little 💰

We stay in a suite at AoA and have 5-6 people in the room. I tip at least $7/day (tipped $5/day when they were just doing trash & towels). On check-out day I leave $20. We keep the room pretty neat, so I hope our room isn't ever difficult to clean. And we always leave a note saying to leave the sofa bed open -- so at least they don't have to deal with that.

Yeah, we don’t trash the room. I think $5 was standard but I feel like it’s been that way a while. I was wondering if standard had jumped to maybe $10/day.

You know, now that you say this, I am going to up my daily tip on this trip next month. Last time we did a long vacation, with daily housekeeping, we tipped $5/day, but that was in 2018. Our last few Disney resort stays at Disneyland and non Disney hotels have been no housekeeping, so I didn't think about it. But considering how much inflation has affected the buying power of a dollar, I'm going up to $10/day as my starting point.

If you think about it, I think Disney housekeepers get somewhere between 8 and 12 assigned rooms per shift. If everyone gave $10, that's anywhere from $80-120 extra per day, or an extra $10-15 per hour, which, frankly, they deserve. And you know not every room is leaving a tip, so I am happy to do my part.

Not true. Bellhops and valets are other examples.
I apologize for leaving out bellhops and valets, but housekeepers are not considered "tipped" positions by the State of Florida, so it wouldn't matter if the person was staying at a Disney Hotel or a Marriott Hotel.

I think they generally do the rooms in a certain order, so I'm not sure if $5 or $20 really makes any difference as to when your room gets made up.
You are correct. They do check outs first, so the front desk has rooms available. If none of the departing rooms are vacant at the time they start cleaning, then they will start with stayovers until a departing room can be entered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter