What did you pack that was just a waste?

We also waste space with a video camera. We have a newer Sony one and it is lightweight, but when you are getting ready to head out to the parks no one wants to haul that thing around. I love that my new digital camera takes movies. :cool1:

Wow a really great post. I always pack too much, esp clothes. I will try to pack light this time, but we'll see. With driving our gas guzzlin' Suburban we need to pack light to save gas these days, LOL. Really good post!

We didn't eat our snacks either. We left most of them for mousekeeping, along with a great tip, of course! We didn't use half of our clothes, and I thought I had packed light! Misting fans were a waste, as were the toys from home. My children did enjoy the art table I set up for them though. They loved making pictures to hang on the walls, decorate post cards with markers and stickers, and playing with a bag of pipe cleaners. The bottled water was a waste too. I thought I didn't have enough but only used about 1 a day. The rest are being used in lunch boxes now.

We did use the Crystal Lite individual packs to flavor cups of free ice water. We did use a few plastic bandages. Everything else you might need is for sale at your resort and the prices are not terrible! If I had just bought the tylenol I needed there, instead of EVERY MED POSSIBLE ahead of time from Walmart, I would have actually saved money!

I bought a few skirts in case we decided to go somewhere nice. I never wanted to use them. In fact, we became more and more sloppy as time went on. I look back at pictures and think, "Why did I let the children choose their own clothes that day?!" But at the time, it didn't matter a bit.

Pack light! I think I'd take the easier path next time.

:flower:

cds for the ride down (a 12 hr drive from MD). it just gets too crowded in the van. also, my sisters stuffed animals and pillows she just HAS to have. one stuffed animal is fine but when you bring like 6 it gets a little crowded, especially when you either sleep with her and her "animal friends" or get stuck sleeping on the floor in the room. :banana:

Food. During our trip last week, we were able to buy everything at Publix for the same price (or better) as at home.

Capris and jeans -- way too hot.

Video camera -- never used it last week.

towels -- sometimes we need them and sometimes not. Next time, I'll just buy them there if needed.

:flower:

Clothes of course but that is something I always do on every trip we take. Next thing is I bring food from home for the kids to snack on and we always end up bring 1/2 home with us. We eat the snacks, I always bring to much. Our family loves the food in the US that we don't get up here, so when we cross the border when we return, I have spent at least 150.00 in groceries on cereal and little snacks and the different chocolate bars.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I packed waaay too many clothes for myself and not enough for dd5!!!

It is not like we go back in the mid of the day to change so...

otherwise, we had to buy camera batteries at MK because ours died so we needed more of those!!

I also bought ponchos but forgot to take them the day it rained :umbrella:

I did a very good job of limiting my packing and was pleased!!

I'm a mother of three, disney world veteran X5, and I agree with don't pack snacks, water/drinks, towels, too many clothes, or toys, I recommend highly though the following: colored pencils (they don't melt) and a coloring book, portable dvd player and 2 or 3 movies, dollar store ponchos, camera batteries, video camera, film for both, charge cables for camera and cell phones, tylenol, sunblock, sunglasses, and SMILES!!!!

Our first trip 10/04. I packed like I was going away for a month!! I had never been to Fl or Disney, packed like 15 shorts and shirts, 3 pairs of jeans, 2 jackets, oh and all you ladies know about shoes!!! Had like 5 pairs :confused3

Well needless to say, the house we rented of course came with a washer, I mostley wore the same 3 pairs of short and tops. Never needed my jeans or jacket, and for the shoes SNEAKER ALL THE WAY!!

What a loser I felt like lugging all that crap back home!!

Still to this day, my DH pirate: reminds me " you can wash your clothes"

I think my suitcase weight like 68 lbs at the air port checking :goodvibes

All I can say is pack light, most of the hotels and home rentals have washer!!

DISNEY 10/04, 2/05, NEXT 12/05 THEN 11/07 :banana:

Our first trip 10/04. I packed like I was going away for a month!! I had never been to Fl or Disney, packed like 15 shorts and shirts, 3 pairs of jeans, 2 jackets, oh and all you ladies know about shoes!!! Had like 5 pairs :confused3

Well needless to say, the house we rented of course came with a washer, I mostley wore the same 3 pairs of short and tops. Never needed my jeans or jacket, and for the shoes SNEAKER ALL THE WAY!!

What a loser I felt like lugging all that crap back home!!

Still to this day, my DH pirate: reminds me " you can wash your clothes"

I think my suitcase weight like 68 lbs at the air port check-in :goodvibes

All I can say is pack light, most of the hotels and home rentals have washer!!

DISNEY 10/04, 2/05, NEXT 12/05 THEN 11/07 :banana:

Clothes, clothes, clothes!!! Did I say clothes??

Just got back yesterday and I knew I overpacked before I left but I really realized it when I got there. We had a washer/dryer unit and I did laundry ever night.

Next time I'm going lighter for sure!

One thing I was glad I had: Disposable rain ponchos from the Dollar Store! We used them the 1 day it rained, and on the Kali River Rapid ride at Animal Kingdom.

I agree about the snacks - we made that mistake in January. We bought Brita water bottle for the October trip. Figured it would be lighter to carry, we would just fill it with ice & water from CS when we were thirsty. By the third day we were tired of carrying the Brita bottle so it stayed in the room. I packed too many clothes BUT that was partly because I had two days worth of clothes in our carry-ons and another 10 days in the regular luggage. We fly direct but you never know when your bag will disappear! I was also worried that we would get rained on or spill something and need more than 1 outfit some days. I wore a jacket on the plane and actually needed a jacket a couple of times in the morning so it was good to have.

We brought laundry soap just in case (didn't use it), we brought first aid supplies and medication (didn't use it), we brought too many disposable cameras (that we can't use for the next trip because they have already been x-rayed twice). We brought dish wipes and then didn't get mugs because the room was too far from the food court to go fill them, we brought those little coffee bags (like tea bags) and didn't use a single one. We brought rain jackets but just used disposable ponchos and umbrellas. We had tons of hand sanitizer but didn't use it much - easier to wash hands or use wipes. We brought DS's huge, heavy Social Studies textbook and he never touched it. No more trips during school for us! DH brought a HUGE, heavy Canon camera (the film kind, not the digital kind) and dragged it with us every single day. Now that he has seen the pics and witnessed that there isn't much difference in quality to the disposable camera he STILL insists that he will bring the huge one again! :rolleyes:

The things that were GREAT were the Downy wrinkle release spray (never ironed anything), the pump hand soap for the bathroom sink, the anti-bacterial wipes in the travel package (we brought a huge bulky container and only used two wipes in the room, but we went through almost all of the wipes in the travel pack in the parks).

I need to get past the "we might need this" mentality. We had WAAAY too much stuff. I know things are very expensive at Disney, but better to buy something there than drag the entire contents of the house along every time! If I piled up all the stuff we didn't use it would probably fill an entire bag, meaning next time we could leave one bag at home! DH would be thrilled!

We need a digital camera. ;) Then we'll really be able to travel light!

"Fancy" clothes. Snacks. Too many diapers -- need to figure out how many DD really uses per day and add a few.

I've actually just started the packing for our upcoming trip and think I may just make a list for a Walmart run AFTER we get to WDW: bottled water, diapers, DH's coffee, laundry soap, etc. It would be much easier and cheaper to buy it in Orlando (and leave any extra) then to buy it at our local Walmart and pack an extra piece of luggage for all of this stuff!

My husband packs about a half hour before it is time to leave. His theory is the only thing you need to pack is money!

Having read all the posts I know not to bring snacks. I already take the minimum of clothes. :)

Same thing for me too many clothes. I don't know why I think I'm going to wear them all. Do pack advil, allergy relief and rolaids just in case!

Enjoy

Way too many clothes....you can always do laundry. Oh, and......too many shoes (only need one comfy pair and maybe a dress pair...too many choices for me...lol

We did take Brita water bottles with us this last time and they worked out great!

Good tips on what not to bring! LOL Now I just need to start putting together my "we're taking this" list! Only 24 more days til we leave!

Sheri

I insisted we bring our digital camera/recorder this last trip. We took two pictures at the airport before getting on the plane and that's it. And they aren't even good pictures. We also took 4 cameras (mine, daughter's, and two disposables). We took a grand total of 11 pictures. After you have been there so many times you get past the "gotta take a picture of this!" and just enjoy the experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter