What did you pack that was just a waste?

mommyoeo

Mouseketeer
I am running out of space in our van for our 11 day trip. I think I have everything I could possibly need-- except we need space too! And I don't want our room at POP to be full of stuff because we have 4 people plus a baby in an already-small room! Have you ever wasted space by bringing things you didn't need after all?

Snacks from home. My kids did not want me whipping out a granola bar in the parks while the kid beside them was eating a Mickey ice-cream bar.

A 32 oz. sports bottle filled with water and plastic cups.

We last went in August, during a super heatwave. I was given a tip to bring a water jug with cups, instead of everyone lugging around their own bottle. I almost brought along powdered drink mix to mask the flavor of the Orlando water, but didn't.

What a waste! Yes, drinks in the parks were not cheap, but *ice cold* drinks were sooo worth it! Plus, at that point we didn't care about drinking out of someone else's cup, so we would get a jumbo size and share between the six of us. We didn't even bother to use the cups I brought along (but the cups alone might be good to bring).

Sharing is much cheaper than buying six sodas each time. I think we spent $15-20 on drinks each day, but again, sooo worth it!

:sunny:

..... :crazy2: ..... :drinking:..... :cool2:

I agree with the previous poster. We drove down this August and I brought snacks and ended up bringing them back home. We just didn't eat them. I found the food to be reasonably priced at our resort and in the parks. Who wants a granola bar from home when you can eat a Mickey shaped rice krispie treat! We bought popcorn in the parks a few times too and now when we have popcorn at home we use the containers and it reminds us of our great trip! :flower:

our first trip when dd was going into kindergarten we brought a big suitcase full of toys for her to play with :confused3 what a waste of time, we had a felt board with all the pieces, etc. :rotfl2: not sure what we were thinking......the second time we each brought a pair of sweats??? my dad who lives in FL just laughed and told me before i came you really won't need those..... :rotfl2: :rolleyes1 were getting better...... :earseek: :rotfl:

Jeans and a Jacket.

Now I lived in Orlando for 2 years, so I know that it's not impossible to need such things. And being in the military, shorts were not an option.

But last week (we just got back), it was just too hot to even worry about getting cold.

Agree with the snacks. Ended up leaving them for the maid rater than trying to fit them into the suitcases.

I always end up with too many clothes! Pack light!!! Worst case you can go to the gift shop (or Walmart since you have a car). Lately I bring clean T-shirts & sox for every day and just a few pairs of shorts to trade off... but don't skimp by not bring two pairs of shoes for each walking family member... switch them off day to day or you're asking for blisters. And remember to pick up the $1.99 rain poncos at Walmart/Target/Walgreens the ponchos they sell at the park are expensive & too bulkly to carry around for reuse.

disneychrista said:
The video camera....never used it....would rather experience then record.

I agree last time we brought the video camera I sat in the room because noone felt like lugging it to the parks.

A coffee maker. I brought this thinking that it would help speed up my Dad's morning routine. He decided that he liked walkng to the food court to get his own coffee every morning anyway. I guess I can't say that I blame him.

Beach towels. We used them and they were great for marking our chairs so we could find them easily, but we could have done without them.
I also took an over the door shoe holder to hold all of our toiletries. We use these on all of our vacations and love them. We stayed at CBR and had no place to hang it this time. :guilty: I missed being able to glance at all of my stuff at once.
I also left a bunch of snacks for mousekeeping.

To make this easy on everyone:
beach towels
over the door shoe holder
snacks

I learned a LOT from my past trips. I use to bring the 24 oz of soda and water, but forgot to bring it to the parks, plus had NO refrigerator to store it. :confused3 So, now I buy the water/soda when I get there. One bottle lasts me 2-3 days, for hotel room use only. I am also not bringing my refillable/non-refillable mug, as I FORGET to bring it with me to the food court half the time. :rolleyes: I am also flying this trip, and using carry ON luggage so I am definetly packing lite! ;)

Snacks, Breakfast bars, etc. Nobody eats them, they just sit there. Brita portable water bottles. I'd rather drink orlando tap water than haul these things around. A huge backpack for carrying stuff inside the parks. Now I have one camera hip pack and if it doesn't fit in there, it isn't going!

Just got back on Sunday and I am already making note of what NOT to bring on the next trip. Some to mention are, no food or snacks other than for the car ride down and some pop tarts and nutrigrain bars for the quick morning bites. I will not be bringing my toaster or hot spot nor the baby highchair. No pillows from home other than one or two for in the car. One pair of shoes and one pair of sandals only per person. Only 1 beach towel. No magna doodles, gameboys, or toys at all for the kids. The didn't touch the ones I brought this time. Also, less clothes. Two pajamas, 3-4 pairs of shorts, a shirt for everyday and a couple extra days worth of socks and undies is enough. No hair dryer and every kind medicine possible is not necessary.

Battery operated water squirter fan things. Took up so much space and we never once needed them...don't waste the space. Limit the amount of snacks if you really are apprehensive on giving them up. One thing that I use all the time at Disneyland is our collaspable insulated cooler. It only holds about 6 drinks but it fits perfectly in the stroller. Takes up very little room to boot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter