What are your predictions for "Signs"

Bob O

<font color=navy>Voice of Reason<br><font color=re
With the movie "Signs" being released today how much do you think it will make??? Do you think it will be a good sized or big hit??
From seeing the coming attractions its seems to me it should be a excellant movie and i for one cant wait to see it!! Im guessing it will make 30 million and im glad i can be in a positive mood for a disney movie release.
Now what do you think about the movie and its prospects??

27 million opening weekend; 100 million domestic take.

did you say that this film falls under the disney co? that is really great! I saw the first add for this movie over Christmas..i dont remember what movie i was watching that previewed it, but i have been dying to see it since i saw that ad. :) I have no idea how well it will do as far as the money is concerned, but i know i will be there to watch it!

I, too, hope it's a huge hit. Disney will need one because the Country Bears looks rediculous.

$41 million opening. Critics are raving. I can't wait to see this film!

I hope im lowballing it because i like the sound of 40 million and i thought i was being too optimistic due to the subject matter. They had a interesting article about the director in this weeks newsweek.

no real competition other AP III so I Mel helps the take grow to $60 million in opening weekend

What was the budget?

As I understand it, the Director persued Mel for the role.

I just saw a estimate for friday night of just over 20mil. so it seems i was off and im glad, cant waint to see it on sunday!!

I just saw this movie (Don't worry, you will find no spoilers in this post). This is a very good movie trapped in a much longer, very boring movie. Its got a good plot idea and an outstanding message, but they are lost in all the long, boring shots of walls, tables, cornfields, and anything else the camera man found facinating (and apparently he was easily facinated).

I would have loved this movie if they had cut out about 1/2 an hour of it. The pacing of this movie is just sooooo slow. Its a pity, with a little editing, this could have been a truly great film. In its current form though, its just too long winded to be interesting. This film drags so badly, I actually found myself wishing I had brought a book.

By mid movie, I too was looking for a sign, a sign that it would end soon.

I predict about 45 million on the first weekend, dropping off quickly after that as the word gets out how drawn out and pedantic this film is really is.

I dont think the director of Road to Peredition has anything to worry about in the boxoffice results. For a r-rated movie about gangsters i think it is doing as well as can be expected and if only disney could release as high quality of a movie. R rated movies tenfd to draw less business and the movie doesnt lend itself to the repeat viewings that a spiderman type movie would. I think it will do well in dvd sales/vhs sales/pay per view and rights sold to tv for re-broadcast.

Scoop,

www.boxofficeguru.com is predicting $60 million also this weekend, after $20 on Friday.

That's some big numbers and welcome news for Disney. Might go $250 domestic!

The head of Disney's distribution predicts over 200 million box office and to be the 3rd highest grosson summer picture. Also predicated to outdo the opening of Pearl Harbor is everything holds(yeah)

Scoop,
I agree that this movie has a lot to say spiritually. It is definitely more of a drama than a thriller (reminded me of Contact in that regard). If I had been expecting a drama, I might have had less problems with it. But even for a drama, the pacing seemed slow. I will be interested in hearing your opinion once you have seen it a second time.

Just a few quick comments.

Estimates of the final take will have to wait until we see what next weekend’s dropoff will be. The trend is for “blockbuster” movies to have a giant weekend and then close instantly. ‘Scooby Doo’ had a huge first week, and did virtually no business after that. And ‘Men in Black 2’ didn’t even last a month in the theaters.

If you are interested in seeing this movie, please do yourself the favor of seeing it in a theater. Both the sound design and the audience’s reaction are important elements of the film. The sound intentionally is placed throughout the theater and gives some interesting clues about what’s going on. And like a real good ghost store, the tension of the people around you add to the experience of the film.

Lastly, a wild rumor that may or may not be true. Apparently some joker is leaving half filled glasses of water around the Team Disney building…

I saw the movie and thought it was a excellant movie. From hearing the comments of people as gthey left i hear no negative comments so the word of mouth should be good, now to see if it can hang on like the Sixth Sense did. I also will be seeing it a second time in the theater soon and agree with AV, it will be a lot better at the theater than at home, escpecially w/thx sound!!

It will be interesting to finally see the movie. It has gotten a lot of attention in the local media as it was filmed nearby.

The farm scenes were shot on a small corn field owned by a community college about 5 minutes from our house. They erected a temporary farm house on the site, instead of using the existing farm building. It was torn down as soon as they were done. It isn't a huge property so it will be interesting to see how it plays on the big screen. The town they picked for the city scenes is very suburbanized, but has a very nice section of historic buildings at it's center (about 20 minutes away).

During the shoot they were pretty tight with security. Mel sitings were very limited. We did had a curious number of take-out dinners during the filming. I suspect my wife tried repeatedly to infiltrated the property posing as a delivery person, but never made it through (lol).

With the apparent success of the movie it seems "M" will surely get another movie contract soon. He sounds commited to remaining far away from the Hollywood scene. Hmmm, I believe the guy making the SpyKids movie is based in Austin, TX. AV, is there a trend here or just coincidence?

The ticker at the bottom of CNN this morning had Signs at #1 with 60m weekend. Not too shabby.

Apparently some joker is leaving half filled glasses of water around the Team Disney building…

Too bad there weren't some L&S and Signs drinking glass cross-promotions with McDonalds.

I can hear the shouts coming from Burbank now...

"Who's the $*@)*$! who keeps leaving half-empty glasses of water around here! AND WHY DO THEY ALL HAVE MEL $*#$ GIBSON AND THAT $@*)#$#$ ALIEN ON THEM?!?!?!"

I saw the movie yesterday and loved it. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and found it to be rather 'thrilling'. I plan on seeing it a second time also. My girlfriend and cousin both have yet to see it and I want to take them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter