We're here!! Live(ish) trip report

To be honest, I was in two minds as to whether or not to do a trip report but I thought it may help people (eg people with questions before their trip; highlighting the needs of people with invisible disabilities etc) while at the same time sharing what may be some of the most precious moments I have in my life with you all. Sad thing is that my neurological problems mean I will have very little memory of this trip in a few months time. And as many photos as I take, they don't help. I can see myself in a photo but my brain doesn't connect memories properly (that's one symptom anyway) so I can't recollect things for long periods of time. That's enough of my sadness though, at least my son will have the FANTASTIC memories and that's all that counts :) Legoland tomorrow (it's nearly 9pm here in Florida and I'm ready to collapse into bed) so watch this space!

Oh and one more thing I MUST share with you all... my son tonight got into bed and said "Mummy...?? I know you've saved up ALL your pennies to come here on holiday but next year can we go to America please?" I replied, "Dylan, where do you think you are?? We're in America honey." To which he gave me a look that said "Mummy, are you REALLY that stupid??" and he let out the biggest sigh before saying, "Mummy! You're silly! We're not in America, we're in Florida!" I couldn't help myself but giggle like a child :) :) :)

It's so lovely to hear you are having the time of your life . I have said before and will say again what a fab mum I think you are . How are you going to make America live up to his Florida trip !! Don't you just love kids ! Enjoy every moment . Looking forward to hearing about Legoland and MNSSHP . You are making me so excited for our trip . Hope your sunburn is feeling better , I will now remember to put my pocket sized cream in my bag !!

Also just wanted to ask what you thought to the hotel pool and if it had been busy , guessing you might not know been as you have been very busy yourself . I'm going to need my vitamins and loads of coffee to keep awake I think . Thanks again for taking time out to do a fab report , wish it could help with your memories .

Hey guys! Just woke up at 4.55am wishing my body clock would adjust bit apparently it has other ideas (lol!) Our room has an AMAZING view of the pool and it's been pretty dead the last couple of days. They showed 'Shark's Tale' and 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' as Dive-In Movies on Fri and Sat, not sure which two they'll play next weekend. There's also a VERY good variety of entertainment happening poolside every day of the week (they give you a timetable at check-in). Great for families but the majority of people staying at the minute are businessmen and anyone that's here to compete in the marathon on 12th at DHS. We're going to have some pool time early next week I think as a halfway mark in the hol but of course everything depends on what the little one wants to do. If he decides (like he did the 1st time we took him on hol) that he doesn't want to be anywhere near water, it will be like a scene from Rainman. I hate saying that but that film is EXACTLY how Dylan gets esp where certain noises are concerned - I do wish CMs would try and understand that when am needing to know if a certain ride has really high pitched noises or anything that may remind him of a hair dryer!

Ate in Harvest Bistro (hotel's cheaper restaurant). It was a spontaneous thing. We'd gone to the little store they have to top the fridge up with drinks and snacks and thought we're too tired to go out for dinner and they could seat us immediately (that half 7pm-ish). The server was FAB and I have him more than his 20% suggested tip for being so attentive :) For all those coming to stay at Hilton Bonnet Creek, two things: the little coffee shop they have here is open 24/7 which is always handy to know... you can smell the AMAZING coffee aroma all the way from reception and it kind of drags you in! Lol! Best still though, the room service menu is just the Harvest Bistro menu and the prices aren't any more expensive. If you have children, I would take them down to the restaurant if you can as two children eat free with every one adult that pays for a full meal so that works out cheaper but if you're like me and you're wanting to be off out early then breakfast in bed with no tray charge is FAB! :)

To be honest, I was in two minds as to whether or not to do a trip report but I thought it may help people (eg people with questions before their trip; highlighting the needs of people with invisible disabilities etc)

Very much enjoying your trip report, and also the insights into your son's disabilities. If, like me, you have no direct connection to autism spectrum conditions, then its pretty easy to be completely uninformed, or even misinformed. The more everyone has a little understanding, the more we can react as we should when we encounter them. Thank you for sharing.

Hope you continue to have a fabulous time :)

Sencybil xx

Enjoying you Live(ish) trip report! Sounds like you are having a great time and being treated very well!

I hope you continue to have a fantastic time! :thumbsup2

Hey guys! SO pleased to see people are enjoying reading my live(ish) trip report! :) Today was Legoland day and proved to be quite a disaster! :( Don't get me wrong, it started out fine.. we took a cab to Premium Outlet Mall on Vineland Ave ($26 one way from our hotel) to pick up a bus I'd booked through the Legoland website before we left the UK. It only cost £10 each and would've been a LOT more otherwise. Now Legoland is down Tampa way which for anyone who doesn't know is just over an hr away from Orlando so of course Dylan was doing the "Are we there yet??" routine. When we got there, our coach driver asked if anyone would be requiring a cab after we return to the Mall and radio'd through that 4 cabs would be required at approx 6.15pm for once we return so that we didn't have to mess about. The sun was out, not a cloud in the sky. Got a group pic taken just outside with the Legoland sign behind us ($18 and you can choose a border if you like. We got a Halloween one with lego ghouls and the year on it). Started to explore the park but Dylan was on a "bad day" today and I knew it even though we hadn't had any episodes so far in the morning. Just a guy feeling. He wouldn't try any ride that went above ground level or was a coaster type. This didn't leave us with too much so we went on one ride that was just like the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at MK which he enjoyed and went on the Animal Safari where you quite literally ride round in a lego buggy looking at lego animals. I took him to the Ford Driving School as I know he's mad about cars and we had to sit and watch a pre-ride vid about rules of the road, how to operate the cars etc before the parents were sent out the room and the kids were sent out to the track to get in their lego Ford cars. They then had approx 5 mins to drive round a lego highway and had to follow the rules in order to get their 'license'. Dylan did really well considering he was on an "off" day... all the way through the pre-ride vid, I was silently praying he wouldn't be the one they kicked off for having "road rage" lol! We were just coming away from the ride when the sky turned as black as coal and the Heavens opened... apparently Tampa have been on the tail end of Hurricane Karen for the last few weeks and it's worse there than Orlando but they're hoping it's going to pass soon. Dylan unfortunately can't do rain or showers... a fine mist and he's OK but rain or a shower is impossible and the fact it was an "off day" made it even worse.. that and the fact half the cafes were closed so quite a few people had to witness his meltdown. It did brighten up a bit later on but started raining again just as we were waiting on our bus returning to pick us up again. As you can imagine, I was exhausted, soaked to the skin and stressed out but worse was yet to come.. on the way back, we saw the WORST road traffic accident I have seen in years! There were four cars, one police car and an elementary school bus all involved.. fire engines, cop cars and ambulances were EVERYWHERE it seemed... the kids on the bus (Dylan included) were all getting upset and, just as one of the adults said "all we need now is a helicopter and we'll have the full set" and one turned up!! :( Worst day by a LONG chalk! Do I recommend Legoland?? Not really. Food was good at lunch but VERY expensive (was fast food with a table service restaurant price tag!) Mini-land was AWESOME but we were bored after the first couple of hours. I'm not saying it wasn't fun or entertaining because it was but when you have the Disney parks, Universal parks, Seaworld and Discovery Cove to choose from as well, Legoland really doesn't come close in comparison. Would leave it to the end of your holiday and see if you have time but don't go with too high expectations. Hopefully tomorrow will be better... doing Disney's Hollywood Studios :)

Oh my gosh what a nightmare of a day for you . I bet you felt sick! seeing accidents is awful . Bet you couldn't wait to get back to the hotel to chill after all the stress and getting wet through while trying to sort Dylan out . We were thinking of Legoland as got the ticket with our holiday package but think we will do Busch Gardens instead . Hope you have a great day at HS and that Dylan has a better day for you . Not been yet but think that Disney has a lot of places for you to go if it rains to try and ease things a little for you and Dylan . Such a shame when you are looking forward to something and it just doesn't turn out how you imagined . You have MNSSHP to look forward to as well heard that's fantastic .

Loving your trip report and also an insight into your daily "challenges". Gave me a kick to appreciate my health when you mentioned your memory issues and your boys autism, i know you probably don't want any sympathy but it's made me realise just how lucky I am - sometimes I need to read stuff like that to bring me back down to earth when i'm stressing the small stuff.....

Good to read about legoland, didn't realise it was in Tampa, probably will give that a miss.

Enjoy the rest of your trip :goodvibes

To be honest, I was only half and half about Legoland but thought they may have slower rides etc so it may be more up Dylan's street. Once the novelty of everything being made out of Lego had worn off though, we were both very bored. I think we did everything we wanted to in the space of about 2 hours if not less. Our coach wasn't coming to pick us up again til 5 so you can imagine how long the day felt esp with that long coach ride added on! :( Have made a list of the rides Dylan really enjoyed at MK though so that we don't spend much time faffing about. REALLY looking forward to MNSSHP. Bit disappointed Peter Pan's flight isn't open but Dylan has REALLY taken to doing the M&Gs :) He can't queue for too long so am now thinking Mickey and Minnie in their Halloween costumes and others who don't have an amazingly long line. We forgot his Autograph book when we went to MK so am taking it with us today and hopefully we'll be able to get round all the things we would want to do at HS in the morning and grab some lunch somewhere then head to Epcot to go see the characters at 'Character Spot' :) Also thought it may be nice to familiarise ourselves with the Epcot park for the day when we spend a full day there :) Here's hoping for a better day today! Lol! :)

Good to read about legoland, didn't realise it was in Tampa, probably will give that a miss.

Enjoy the rest of your trip :goodvibes

Its where Cypress Gardens used to be, just past Haines City on Hwy 27, approx. half way to Tampa from WDW but I guess on a bus it felt like travelling to Tampa :( https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sadd...uV-iA3diDEaJzjoz11svA&oq=walt&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

By car its a really easy 40 min drive, by bus (plus adding a taxi at the beginning and end) wouldn't be my idea of a good journey.
Reminds me why we have said we will never do Florida without a car.

Hope you have a better day today :)

Thanks... Sorry for not getting my facts straight on the location! Still don't think it's worth all the travelling and the cost of admission plus food. If it was one of the better parks and really had something about it fair enough but for us personally, we wouldn't recommend it. If your kids are totally hooked on Lego then maybe but my son is only half and half as he has Lego therapy and it kind of reminds him of that I think. Anyway, onwards and upwards as they say! :)

We nearly went but having been to the one in Windsor and thinking that could be done in a couple of hours and therefore the one in Florida could be done in approx. the same amt time, I just thought it was a waste of a day for us. Be it by car or bus we have decided not to bother.

Hope you have a better day at HS...:)

We nearly went but having been to the one in Windsor and thinking that could be done in a couple of hours and therefore the one in Florida could be done in approx. the same amt time, I just thought it was a waste of a day for us. Be it by car or bus we have decided not to bother.

Hope you have a better day at HS...:)

As said before I think Legoland depends on the individual child, When Matt was younger we took him to Windsor, nowhere near enough hours in the day. Unfortunately he was too old when the one in Florida opened, could have gone with Lily last couple if years but she would not have the same interest Matt had.

As said before I think Legoland depends on the individual child, When Matt was younger we took him to Windsor, nowhere near enough hours in the day. Unfortunately he was too old when the one in Florida opened, could have gone with Lily last couple if years but she would not have the same interest Matt had.

We were the same I took my son when he's was younger to Windsor and few times as he was Lego mad and spent hours there . We even did the Star Wars weekend which was fab , with fireworks to Star Wars music . He is 12 at min and still does love lego and I am still in two minds as to do it or not but just think he's now more at the age for the coasters , so thought Busch Gardens might suite him better . The problem we have is we only have two weeks !! I bet we still end up bringing some form of Lego home with us as I do like building it too . I just can't wait to go and love listening to everyone's trip reports and views . I know all the great advises everyone has given me will make our first time so much more enjoyable . So thanks guys

I think this is spot on :thumbsup2

Took Chloe to Legoland Windsor in the summer holidays - arrived at park opening and left at closing. We had a fab day just the 2 of us :thumbsup2 She was tall enough for all the rides but enjoyed everything else the park had to offer as well.

I am thinking of trying to fit in a visit next summer - might do it on the way to or from the beach. :goodvibes

Thanks... Sorry for not getting my facts straight on the location! Still don't think it's worth all the travelling and the cost of admission plus food. If it was one of the better parks and really had something about it fair enough but for us personally, we wouldn't recommend it. If your kids are totally hooked on Lego then maybe but my son is only half and half as he has Lego therapy and it kind of reminds him of that I think. Anyway, onwards and upwards as they say! :)

I just want to say you are brave taking on all the traveling without a car when you are your son both have a degree of disability. We could never do :goodvibes

Sorry about the rain but unfortunately Florida doesn't really know how to do gentle rain - its heavy down pours or nothing :sad2:

Hope today is better :cloud9:

At least the Florida LEGOLAND should be in good condition. The Windsor one, which we went to 3 weeks ago was in a shocking state of repair, really scruffy. We took the nephews a few years back now and spent about 5 hours there, 3 weeks ago we got there for opening and we arrived home for lunch..:) Also the LEGOLAND Florida does have the pretty gardens to walk around so that could pass a couple of hours..
Def not a day out for us though. I'll trade that day for a day in Walmart anytime:rotfl:

At least the Florida LEGOLAND should be in good condition. The Windsor one, which we went to 3 weeks ago was in a shocking state of repair, really scruffy. We took the nephews a few years back now and spent about 5 hours there, 3 weeks ago we got there for opening and we arrived home for lunch..:) Also the LEGOLAND Florida does have the pretty gardens to walk around so that could pass a couple of hours..
Def not a day out for us though. I'll trade that day for a day in Walmart anytime:rotfl:

:thumbsup2

Hey guys! Did HS this morn but the heat was pretty intense (I know, I know.. if I'm not complaining about the heavy downpours, I'm complaining about the heat! Lol! Too used to British weather, sorry! Lol!) We did get pretty much everything done that we wanted to (Star Tours and Toy Story Midway Mania being the main attractions for us!) Dylan got to meet Buzz and Woody (he's just got into autographs so he was REALLY excited about meeting Woody :) Studio Backlot Tour closed early.. we got down to the shuttles and they announced there was a problem with the shuttles breaking down so they were closing. We then headed over to Muppetvision 3D which was REALLY funny! Good ol' family entertainment! (Why did they get rid of The Muppet Show anyways??) Then, joy of joys... we got to meet Sully and Mike from Monsters Inc (Dylan wasn't all that bothered to be honest but I'm THE BIGGEST Sully fan!! I nearly bowled the guy over, I was like "Sully! Give me a hug!" I NEVER felt as much of a kid as I did at that moment and only Walt Disney could give me that... if he could see me now, I'm sure he'd be proud! :) lol!) Got our pics taken with Lightning McQueen & Mater from the Cars movies and then headed to the buses (Fantasmic wasn't showing today and Dylan didn't fancy any of the other things... oh and my camera battery is on it's last legs and me being me, I left my charger back in UK!) :( We hopped on a bus to Epcot and as soon as he saw the huge dome, Dylan got this BEAMING smile on his face and said excitedly, "Look Mummy, it's the giant golf ball!!" Lol! :) We went on over to 'Character Spot' and Dylan was over the moon! I've never seen him look so happy! Mickey, Minnie and Goofy all signed his autograph book and had pics taken (thank God for PhotoPass!! Lol!) :) We then jumped in a cab and headed back to the hotel as it was HEAVING with people all there for F&W (COMPLETELY forgot that was on! Lol!) So now we're just chillin' out in the hotel room. Dylan's playing on his Nintendo DS and I'm updating you folks. Going to catch up on some sleep soon as well. Seaworld tomorrow which I know will be good as we've done Seaworld San Diego quite a few times and LOVED it each time (how different can Seaworld parks be right??) Got 'Dine With Shamu' booked for dinner which I've heard various things about but I think it'll be fine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter