Welcome Home Wednesdays

niroc

Love being a Disney dad!
I am a new DVC member and I will be taking my first DVC trip this May (BLT). I was wondering what are your thoughts and feelings on Welcome Home Wednesdays. Is it worth going to?

I tried to do a search before posting this and I haven't seen any discussions on this.

niroc said:
I am a new DVC member and I will be taking my first DVC trip this May (BLT). I was wondering what are your thoughts and feelings on Welcome Home Wednesdays. Is it worth going to?

I tried to do a search before posting this and I haven't seen any discussions on this.

Not really..

I personally would not waste an afternoon of my first DVC visit on Welcome Home Wednesday. We went a couple of years ago - I thought it was kind of entertaining, my husband did not. We did get a free snack and a free DVC hat. Some people who participated in the DVC game got some other DVC freebies, and they did have a drawing for a few other freebies.

The only reason we decided to attend was because we were staying at the BWV (no travel hassles to get there), and we spend at least a month at Disney every year, so it doesn't effect our vacation to miss an afternoon of park touring.

Not really..

I personally would not waste an afternoon of my first DVC visit on Welcome Home Wednesday.

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected. We've been to WDW a few times before so I wouldn't mind having a half-day in a park if it was worth going to, but I didn't want to waste time if it was not worth it.

Are you a gamer? Someone who would like to get up in front of a crowd to win some prizes? I think the people who like that sort of thing would enjoy being in the show and it's fun to watch.

When I'm staying at BWV or BCV, I consider going. I've been 4 times in 9 years of membership. I've given away 3 of the 4 hats that I've gotten.

Bobbi:)

If it fits seamlessly into your plans, I'd say it's worth an hour of time. You'll at least get a DVC logo cap (or some other door prize) out of it, with a chance to win bigger items. There are free refreshments, socializing with other members and you may even learn a thing or two.

If you're staying at the BoardWalk or Beach Club and it matches the time of your usual mid-afternoon break, give it a shot.

But I wouldn't go out of my way to rearrange plans or to travel over to the Atlantic Dance Hall from a theme park or another resort.

Our Home Resort is Boardwalk and we've been to 1 "Welcome Home" in 12+ trips. I can't remember what we got, a lanyard maybe? If you happen to be near there on a rainy day, sure go for it, or you are staying at BWV and looking for a break from the pool. I know I have seen other comments in the past and others love it.

We went once... and left within the first 10 minutes. Not really our cup of tea.

I haven't been since 2009, ... at that time it was the Jeopardy style game with DeeVeeCee as MC ....but i heard that has changed. What's the scope of Welcome Home Wednesdays now?

We were there last week for the first time in about 2 years ....worst than when Dee Vee did it. Wife and I both agreed it was a waste

That seems like the consensus here. I think the concept has potential but it doesn't sound like the execution is that well thought out.

The Wednesday that we are there I plan on being at DHS and I would be able to leave early if we needed to but it sounds like we would be much better just staying at the park.

Thanks everyone for all your comments.

I finally had a stay where it was cancelled, on my 3rd stay as a DVC member. I had a great time.

We were there last week for the first time in about 2 years ....worst than when Dee Vee did it. Wife and I both agreed it was a waste

That's exactly how we felt too. We went in late January. This was the first time going since DVCee left. It was worse! (if that was possible). We were so bored and it was so lame. Of course we just went for the hats. So the next time, we will arrive 15 minutes before it ends just to get our new hats. Since we will be at the BWV, it's easy. The whole time I kept thinking, I gave up an hour of my pool time for this.

I went for the first time last year.We were staying at BWV. I felt like getting out of sun and into airconditioning for a while.

It was OK. Got a nice hat.

I would not travel to long to get there.

Not worth taking a good part of your day up to go there.

But it was OK. It was full and it seemed that most of the people there had been before.

Most people were having fun.The MC was somewhat funny .

Taking a stroll down memory lane here....

Wondering when they got rid of Welcome Home Wednsdays. I know they used the dance hall for some DVC member events recently. Maybe they would consider bringing it back? It would be great to do so just to have more member engagement.

On the cruise ship they have the member event, and it really does make you feel special. Maybe they feel the membership is too large to do this now?

Taking a stroll down memory lane here....

Wondering when they got rid of Welcome Home Wednsdays. I know they used the dance hall for some DVC member events recently. Maybe they would consider bringing it back? It would be great to do so just to have more member engagement.

On the cruise ship they have the member event, and it really does make you feel special. Maybe they feel the membership is too large to do this now?
Based upon what I was told at the time, the bulk of the audience for Welcome Home Wednesdays was a group of regulars who only wanted the free snacks and to get on the stage to win prizes. (It had a game show format.)

While there's nothing inherently wrong with that, DVC didn't see the wisdom in continuing to spend money on an event that wasn't serving much more than a niche group of members. They took the budget for WHW and the holiday mixers, and redirected it to things like the Epcot lounge and Moonlight Magic.

They have started hosting holiday character greets at Atlantic Dance Hall. In the last few months they've done sessions tied to Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day.

Coincidentally, VGC/VDH just hosted a Welcome Home Wednesday a few days ago. I wasn't able to attend but was given this when checking in (PDF attached).

Attachments

• WELCOME HOME.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 38
It's nice to see this tradition is returning. Might be nice to have it return to the east coast soon!

1708822467301.jpeg
This was the line to get into a Halloween event last September. It was a nice event, and well attended!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter