We are losing the Magic

They should be able to give you the plain old "card" that we normally get at hotels other than disney. I saw people using them all the time at the parks. Perhaps Front Desk could rectify for you and get a refund if the new one has never been used???

MB are not necessary at all.

They will give you a card to use if you do not want to pay for a MB or simply prefer that over one.

I doubt Disney will reduce any DVC cost for the loss of Magical Express. Management is looking at huge losses from COVID, as any large company would, and making financial decisions, which override customer service decisions right now.

Actually I book BCV at the 11th month but switch to BWV at the 7th month. In really warm weather I stay at BCV because of SAB (love the pool but also enjoy the line dancing the life guards do), but will stay at BWV in the Winter (or what Florida calls Winter). Have not seen the new pool at BWV now that they got rid of the "child vomiting clown slide" as I think Master Gracey used to call it. Sorry Master Gracey if that was not you.

Was just at Boardwalk and the CLOWN is gone!!!! yay

My family joined DVC in 2006 at BCV. We were thrilled. No more staying at hotel style rooms. We can walk to the parks (EPCOT and HS) and relax in really nice rooms with balconies and a great pool area SAB.

So much has changed. Especially in the last year. For example:

1. Free Magic Bands are gone (I have not been down there in almost two years because of COVID so I have not used the mobile device access. I just liked the bands better and don't want to pull out a phone in the parks all the time. And they were great for buying food and gifts.

2. Free Magical Express - Now Mears Connect is $96 RT for DW, DS and I. And that is the "Introductory" price. I know many of you get a limo or rental car but DS loved the Mickey programs on ME.

3. Free Fast Pass - Now $45 a day ($225 for the trip) for DW, DS and I (God help larger families) and it will be interesting to see if we can actually get on the rides we want without the time slots already being taken up by others faster than me. After the three Fast Passes were used (usually by 2pm), all other rides for Fast Pass were booked and we could not get any more. But I was fine with that, after all, it was free.

4. BCV eliminated the Jacuzzis and fans - OK that is my gripe. DW and DS never used it. I used it every night and I loved having a fan on slow at night over the bed. We don't have fans at our home in CT. 7 foot ceilings are too low for that with a 4 poster bed which is about 3 inches from the ceiling.

So what else has changed that you wish had not?

They are pricing out average middle class families. Thereby killing tradition (we used to go every year if not 2-3x a year), thereby killing the magic. It’s more for the well off now. Anyone who has to save for a vacation and work for that money just got another hit. We’ve been members since 2000 and been going since 1996. We hoped to have our grandkids now join our family trips, but now it’s just too much. Too much for park tickets, too much to pay for transportation when it used to be free and now the extra charge for rides within a park after paying the high price to enter those parks….I know I’m done. We have two day park hoppers that were comped to us after some unfortunate occurrences on our last trip. They expire in 2025. We’ll use them for parks and then no more. I’d rather use my points to travel elsewhere, like Aruba or CA or anywhere else that isn’t blatantly taking us for a ride. Then if the kids don’t want them, we’ll sell them.
After last time there and all that happened that changed things for us, and now this….it’s time to move on. Maybe stay in our home resort and start visiting universal and city walk. We haven’t been there in forever because we loved disney parks so much more. It’s time to go back. Maybe HH or Vero to relax. We can keep our hard earned money for Disney parks and rides and insane ticket prices in our pockets or use them for better vacations. This kills it for us. There’s increasing prices and then there’s obvious gluttony.

They should be able to give you the plain old "card" that we normally get at hotels other than disney. I saw people using them all the time at the parks. Perhaps Front Desk could rectify for you and get a refund if the new one has never been used???

MB are not necessary at all.
I opened it and had it activated. It's a fun part of the experience. I'm just surprised at the cost for the basic ones.

I opened it and had it activated. It's a fun part of the experience. I'm just surprised at the cost for the basic ones.
MBs may not be necessary, but for me it would be a lot more convenient than whipping out a card or my phone when carrying stuff to the room, and boarding rides (if using Genie)

Last edited:
MBs may not be necessary, but for me it would be a lot more convenient that whipping out a card or my phone when carrying stuff to the room, and boarding rides (if using Genie)

Can we use our old (free) ones or are we forced to buy new ones? This is getting worse by the second.

Can we use our old (free) ones or are we forced to buy new ones? This is getting worse by the second.
Your old magic bands will work for "tap" locations, like kiosks, park entrance, etc. After couple of years, the battery will die, and that can no send out the RF signal that will automatically link ride photos or have your name appear, like in Small World at the end of the ride. But they should always work for the tap things.

Your old magic bands will work for "tap" locations, like kiosks, park entrance, etc. After couple of years, the battery will die, and that can no send out the RF signal that will automatically link ride photos or have your name appear, like in Small World at the end of the ride. But they should always work for the tap things.

I've been using the same magic band for four years now and haven't lost any functionality at all. I always decline the new "free" magic bands they try to ship me. Seems wasteful. All the batteries are still functional. YMMV

Thanks. I’m over the ride photos (especially now that I have to pay for a ride in a park I paid to get into). I appreciate the info as I have many of these bands.

I was reading a well known Disney blog that urged people to write to Disney and be respectful and persuasive if they were not in support of all the recent changes and long term disappearing on site benefits. So I did. Why not? It seems better than thumbs downing a YouTube video and hoping for change.

I wrote to guest communications and basically said that for a premium price compared to other amusement parks, especially for on property, I expect more. I stated how much more for a same vacation it would cost us now with DME and G+, and how that may alter future business with them until it rebalances back towards the guest. I’m in on Disney trips obviously but not at just any price and any return for vacation time. I can rent points out and go somewhere else, take a longer trip but fewer trips per year, stay at DVC but visit UO, etc. I can spend less on dining as we always eat out and almost always TS dinners and some character breakfasts.

To my surprise I got a CALL back from someone claiming to be from the executive team there. We talked for a bit about the changes and new alternatives. I stressed that it’s not enough today, especially for on-site guests, compared to the past. I acknowledged some is beyond Disney’s control (bags) but some is not. For the price, the value is gone with the recent changes. It’s nowhere near an all inclusive vacation now, where recently it kind of was, or could be, especially if one did DDP.

I was told they are collecting data (aren’t they always) on the new changes and my voice will be heard, literally as it was a recorded line. She told me this twice in our conversation. At the end she acknowledged our DVC membership, AP status and our upcoming trip and asked if there was anything she could do for it. It kind of caught me off guard so I just said no.

I am shocked they called instead of a form letter response. That takes a lot of effort for a company of Disney’s size.

you still get ride photos automatically after 4 years? That's impressive.

I would never trust it that long. Because we are still in rider swap years, my wife and I are usually riding most photo rides by ourselves. If mine is dead and I don’t know it til I leave with no pics, then I have only HM and Frozen since there’d be more than one MB trying to grab the photo.

I know a lot is going into MDE. Is there a way you can get ride pics through that if you allow the app to always run in the background?

I was reading a well known Disney blog that urged people to write to Disney and be respectful and persuasive if they were not in support of all the recent changes and long term disappearing on site benefits. So I did. Why not? It seems better than thumbs downing a YouTube video and hoping for change.

I wrote to guest communications and basically said that for a premium price compared to other amusement parks, especially for on property, I expect more. I stated how much more for a same vacation it would cost us now with DME and G+, and how that may alter future business with them until it rebalances back towards the guest. I’m in on Disney trips obviously but not at just any price and any return for vacation time. I can rent points out and go somewhere else, take a longer trip but fewer trips per year, stay at DVC but visit UO, etc. I can spend less on dining as we always eat out and almost always TS dinners and some character breakfasts.

To my surprise I got a CALL back from someone claiming to be from the executive team there. We talked for a bit about the changes and new alternatives. I stressed that it’s not enough today, especially for on-site guests, compared to the past. I acknowledged some is beyond Disney’s control (bags) but some is not. For the price, the value is gone with the recent changes. It’s nowhere near an all inclusive vacation now, where recently it kind of was, or could be, especially if one did DDP.

I was told they are collecting data (aren’t they always) on the new changes and my voice will be heard, literally as it was a recorded line. She told me this twice in our conversation. At the end she acknowledged our DVC membership, AP status and our upcoming trip and asked if there was anything she could do for it. It kind of caught me off guard so I just said no.

I am shocked they called instead of a form letter response. That takes a lot of effort for a company of Disney’s size.
Do you have the address for guest communications? Did you send an actual letter or was this via e-mail?

Can you not replace a battery in the MB?
Maybe with an exacto knife and some epoxy or good plastic welding skills, but generally no. They're sealed.

My guess is it's partly to prevent kids or animals from swallowing the small batteries and also for waterproofing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter