We are losing the Magic

corpcomp

The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D
My family joined DVC in 2006 at BCV. We were thrilled. No more staying at hotel style rooms. We can walk to the parks (EPCOT and HS) and relax in really nice rooms with balconies and a great pool area SAB.

So much has changed. Especially in the last year. For example:

1. Free Magic Bands are gone (I have not been down there in almost two years because of COVID so I have not used the mobile device access. I just liked the bands better and don't want to pull out a phone in the parks all the time. And they were great for buying food and gifts.

2. Free Magical Express - Now Mears Connect is $96 RT for DW, DS and I. And that is the "Introductory" price. I know many of you get a limo or rental car but DS loved the Mickey programs on ME.

3. Free Fast Pass - Now $45 a day ($225 for the trip) for DW, DS and I (God help larger families) and it will be interesting to see if we can actually get on the rides we want without the time slots already being taken up by others faster than me. After the three Fast Passes were used (usually by 2pm), all other rides for Fast Pass were booked and we could not get any more. But I was fine with that, after all, it was free.

4. BCV eliminated the Jacuzzis and fans - OK that is my gripe. DW and DS never used it. I used it every night and I loved having a fan on slow at night over the bed. We don't have fans at our home in CT. 7 foot ceilings are too low for that with a 4 poster bed which is about 3 inches from the ceiling.

So what else has changed that you wish had not?

My family joined DVC in 2006 at BCV. We were thrilled. No more staying at hotel style rooms. We can walk to the parks (EPCOT and HS) and relax in really nice rooms with balconies and a great pool area SAB.

1. Free Magic Bands are gone (I have not been down there in almost two years because of COVID so I have not used the mobile device access. I just liked the bands better and don't want to pull out a phone in the parks all the time. And they were great for buying food and gifts.

2. Free Magical Express - Now Mears Connect is $96 RT for DW, DS and I. And that is the "Introductory" price. I know many of you get a limo or rental car but DS loved the Mickey programs on ME.

3. Free Fast Pass - Now $45 a day ($225 for the trip) for DW, DS and I (God help larger families) and it will be interesting to see if we can actually get on the rides we want without the time slots already being taken up by others faster than me. After the three Fast Passes were used (usually by 2pm), all other rides for Fast Pass were booked and we could not get any more. But I was fine with that, after all, it was free.

4. BCV eliminated the Jacuzzis and fans - OK that is my gripe. DW and DS never used it. I used it every night and I loved having a fan on slow at night over the bed. We don't have fans at our home in CT. 7 foot ceilings are too low for that with a 4 poster bed which is about 3 inches from the ceiling.

I'm most upset about Magical Express and luggage service.

I've been frustrated by the lack of APs but am relieved they will return. No APs is a deal-breaker for me, so I hope they never go away.

Then there are a few things that haven't come back yet that I'm sure hoping will (like TOTWL).

I prefer magic bands but (as of now) the old ones we have still work, so I'm not mad yet.

Fastpass+ sucked IMO (so I won't miss it) and we will probably just not do the paid option and see how it goes.

We will be there starting tomorrow. I'll possibly update my list when we get back.

The fans were a big selling point for me. I used to travel with a fan until I discovered DVC. Fortunately, my resorts still have them. And love that they are using murphy beds instead of sleep sofas.

Losing the FPs is a shot for how we visit the parks. We don't do the parks all day. Maybe 4 hours and grab 3 passes within that time and get out.

But with all the items that were once a part of the initial price paid now being an upcharge is blowing the pixie dust away.

Ooh I hated magic bands. I like cards. I liked the culture that sprang up around lanyard pouches to carry the cards, and the lanyards to put pins on. Bands were a flash in the pan, relatively-speaking, to me. They didn't even start until 2013.

Jacuzzis are great to use, but the moment you start thinking about how impossible they are to actually clean between guests, that's when the magic of them dies.

The thing that has depressed ME the most is that Stacey has retired. I don't know if that means her Must-Dos are gone already or if it's still limping along in some way, but it's still sad to me.

Ooh I hated magic bands. I like cards. I liked the culture that sprang up around lanyard pouches to carry the cards, and the lanyards to put pins on. Bands were a flash in the pan, relatively-speaking, to me. They didn't even start until 2013.

Jacuzzis are great to use, but the moment you start thinking about how impossible they are to actually clean between guests, that's when the magic of them dies.

The thing that has depressed ME the most is that Stacey has retired. I don't know if that means her Must-Dos are gone already or if it's still limping along in some way, but it's still sad to me.

Actually I liked Crisa (SP), the one before her.

Joined DVC in 2013 (resale, blue card). Things change but we still feel the magic. We just keep adjusting. People loved/hated FP, people will love/hate Genie.

Right now I"m optimistic that Genie+ with the option to pay to get on "E" rides will be positive.

I'm most upset about Magical Express and luggage service.

I've been frustrated by the lack of APs but am relieved they will return. No APs is a deal-breaker for me, so I hope they never go away.

Then there are a few things that haven't come back yet that I'm sure hoping will (like TOTWL).

I prefer magic bands but (as of now) the old ones we have still work, so I'm not mad yet.

Fastpass+ sucked IMO (so I won't miss it) and we will probably just not do the paid option and see how it goes.

We will be there starting tomorrow. I'll possibly update my list when we get back.
Mears told me today they are exploring having some type of luggage service but have not made a decision. You still would have to bring your luggage to the bus like ME did but maybe a similar service like Bags, Inc. at the resorts where you can drop the bags off. Fingers crossed.

I seem to remember Fast Pass was initially unlimited but then they reduced it to setting up three first then you could try to get more later in the day. That never worked for me.

I would say we are being "nickel and dimed" to death but it's more like $20s and $50s. More money for fewer perks. I no longer see the value of staying on property when we can stay in a nice off-site hotel for $80/night and save a $1,000 or more. Going to Ft Wilderness campground in October but afraid that will be our last on-property stay. Will not spend $400/night for a room we only use to sleep in.

22 trips 1981-2021

Last edited:

I agree with all of the above! I know our family is in the minority for number 4, but we love our fans and really miss the jacuzzi! I feel BCV got short-changed by not at least getting a bubbler tub as most other resorts who lost the big tub did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter