WDW Vets/DLR Newbies Unite!

I'm planning my first DLR trip for next January. I've not giving up WDW. My extended family is taking a cruise in December between Christmas & New Year's to the Mexican Riviera. After the cruise, I'm planning to stay a few extra days (since I'll already be in the area) and visit Disneyland. My parents may also stay, since they've never been there either.

I haven't done a lot of research about hotels or airfare quite yet, but would love hotel suggestions. Thanks.

I'm a a WDW vet and this will be our 3rd time to DL. We started to take advantage of that wonder 4/3 deal, but the kids (go figure) were like we are so tired of WDW and they LOVE DL (even more so than DW, never expected that!) so we are off to DL this summer instead of WDW.

We are in by no means giving up on WDW, but it really is a change of pace, scenery, and DL just has a great feel to it. However with all the additions to DCA, I'm thinking we are going to have to go back a few times to take it all in! :thumbsup2 :woohoo:

Here's a question for everyone: We're going June 30-July 5 and plan on only doing Disney property. Will we be bored? Some people say you need 4 days tops and we've got 6. I like the idea of spending multiple days in a park and getting to do things more than once. It seems like at WDW, we've always gone when it's crowded and it's hard enough to do things ONCE, let alone twice.

What do you think?

Here's a question for everyone: We're going June 30-July 5 and plan on only doing Disney property. Will we be bored? Some people say you need 4 days tops and we've got 6. I like the idea of spending multiple days in a park and getting to do things more than once. It seems like at WDW, we've always gone when it's crowded and it's hard enough to do things ONCE, let alone twice.

What do you think?

Not sure as we've not been there yet but I noticed you're from Kansas. Might be fun for your family to take a day trip to Catalina Island (or just a local beach) since you will have the time.

I live inland too and can't stand being that close to the ocean without at least visiting it for a day.:sunny:

What do you think?

YAY KS!! I grew up in Wichita. :goodvibes We haven't been ourselves since we were kids, but we are planning 7 days. I think most people think we're crazy, but we want to enjoy it! We plan on taking afternoon breaks and riding things multiple times. We want to see all the parades and shows, and we want to take our time and enjoy the atmosphere. I think we may have extra time on our hands, but I don't think we could ever be bored there. We'll just ride something again, sit and people watch, catch a parade, etc. Especially in the heat of July, you'll need those breaks, and you won't feel rushed to accomplish everything so quick.

Of course, I may change my mind after our 7 day trip, but I still think it'll be great. Just my .02!

What do you think?

Just realized, it's over 4th of July as well. The crowds may slow you down, so you'll want those extra days to accomplish things! :thumbsup2

What do you think?

We did the 6 day many years ago, and with the kids being really young it was harder. Now 6 days wouldn't be so bad. However, count in all the fun stuff to do at the resorts, take more time to actually sit and eat at some of the restaurants and shops, and of course explore DD. I'm sure you can fill up six days!

I'm a a WDW vet and this will be our 3rd time to DL. We started to take advantage of that wonder 4/3 deal, but the kids (go figure) were like we are so tired of WDW and they LOVE DL (even more so than DW, never expected that!) so we are off to DL this summer instead of WDW.

We are in by no means giving up on WDW, but it really is a change of pace, scenery, and DL just has a great feel to it. However with all the additions to DCA, I'm thinking we are going to have to go back a few times to take it all in! :thumbsup2 :woohoo:

:scared: It is just killing me that we aren't taking advantage of the the 4/3 WDW deal this year. But from all the recent Trip Reports, a lot of other people ARE taking advantage of the deal. If it is financially possible, this may be the perfect year to visit DLR. However, last night DH (Who DOESN'T know about our DLR trip.) was pricing a WDW trip for Spring Break in a few weeks. :banana: I think he needs a Disney "fix" (and a break from work). Little does he know . . . :rolleyes1 Last year, we went to WDW in April/May, September and November/December. This year, we are only scheduled for November/December. I think DH is missing "home". ;)

:thumbsup2 We'll have to head back when they finish all the updates to DCA too. Hopefully, DS3 will still be into Cars as much as he is now. He loves that movie and anything Lightning McQueen related. :love: I can't wait to see "Carsland". Also, I assume the lake will still be drained when we go. I want to get the whole intended effect of the wharf area. My poor family, they'll have to head to DLR again in the future. :rotfl:

:surfweb: Jennifer

:scared: It is just killing me that we aren't taking advantage of the the 4/3 WDW deal this year. But from all the recent Trip Reports, a lot of other people ARE taking advantage of the deal. If it is financially possible, this may be the perfect year to visit DLR. However, last night DH (Who DOESN'T know about our DLR trip.) was pricing a WDW trip for Spring Break in a few weeks. :banana: I think he needs a Disney "fix" (and a break from work). Little does he know . . . :rolleyes1 Last year, we went to WDW in April/May, September and November/December. This year, we are only scheduled for November/December. I think DH is missing "home". ;)

:thumbsup2 We'll have to head back when they finish all the updates to DCA too. Hopefully, DS3 will still be into Cars as much as he is now. He loves that movie and anything Lightning McQueen related. :love: I can't wait to see "Carsland". Also, I assume the lake will still be drained when we go. I want to get the whole intended effect of the wharf area. My poor family, they'll have to head to DLR again in the future. :rotfl:

I know we need our Disney fix and DL really gives you that in spades! I kept warning my kids last year, it's not like WDW. It's not like WDW. They took that advice to heart and ended up falling in love with DL based on what it is. I just moved from Texas(DFW) to Colorado and find now that I'm closer to DL, I want to get to know the park a little better...................but I promise you that 4/3 deal just keeps calling!

BTW, my son is 13 and still loves cars and can't wait for Cars land. Then again, he loves test track, so this will be really great for him. As for the other updates, another show on the water! Must go back for that too. Although I hope it's more Illuminations type rather than another form of Fantasmic.

If you have a chance, go to Goofy's to eat. I promise the family will love it. I also like Minnie and Friends a whole lot as the character interaction is wonderful. :wizard:

I know we need our Disney fix and DL really gives you that in spades! I kept warning my kids last year, it's not like WDW. It's not like WDW. They took that advice to heart and ended up falling in love with DL based on what it is. I just moved from Texas(DFW) to Colorado and find now that I'm closer to DL, I want to get to know the park a little better...................but I promise you that 4/3 deal just keeps calling!

BTW, my son is 13 and still loves cars and can't wait for Cars land. Then again, he loves test track, so this will be really great for him. As for the other updates, another show on the water! Must go back for that too. Although I hope it's more Illuminations type rather than another form of Fantasmic.

If you have a chance, go to Goofy's to eat. I promise the family will love it. I also like Minnie and Friends a whole lot as the character interaction is wonderful. :wizard:

:cloud9: We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel. So, I am hoping to make a PS for Goofy's. We won't have far to go for breakfast. ;) Also, I was planning on making a PS at Blue Bayou for DH's actual birthday. Is making PS at DLR just as cut-throat as WDW? :banana: I felt like we won the lottery when DH got a CRT ADR at 8:10 am last September. I had been trying for three years!!!!

:thumbsup2 We live in the DFW area. You are missing a beautiful 80 degree day here today. It is gorgeous! :cool2:

:goodvibes Jennifer

:cloud9: We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel. So, I am hoping to make a PS for Goofy's. We won't have far to go for breakfast. ;) Also, I was planning on making a PS at Blue Bayou for DH's actual birthday. Is making PS at DLR just as cut-throat as WDW? :banana: I felt like we won the lottery when DH got a CRT ADR at 8:10 am last September. I had been trying for three years!!!!

:thumbsup2 We live in the DFW area. You are missing a beautiful 80 degree day here today. It is gorgeous! :cool2:

DL Hotel is so beautiful. That was where we stayed our very first time. However once I realized the walk was further than across the street, we saved the money and stayed at HoJo this last time. Not a bad walk and closer than DL hotel believe it or not! TO get to the parks from the DL hotel you have to walk through DD. Seems like a trek and sometimes difficult when the parks let out as DD gets very crowded.

It's not as cut throat, so if you call when your window opens up, no problems! Blue Bayou is also beautiful. The food was ok, but you can't beat the atmosphere! :cloud9: He will so love you for taking him there :love: I could ride Pirates in DL over and over again it is such a huge difference from WDW!

DFW had no winter at all this year. We've had a semi one here in the Springs. It has been a wonderful 55-60 as an high pretty much the last 2 weeks. Love it. Don't miss that Texas heat for anything. :rolleyes1 You would think that some one who's lived in Texas their whole lives would think Colorado too cold, but I am loving it here. Plus we have a wonderful view of the mountains and the Air Force Academy. Awesome!

DL Hotel is so beautiful. That was where we stayed our very first time. However once I realized the walk was further than across the street, we saved the money and stayed at HoJo this last time.

It's funny you mentioned HoJo's. :confused3 I was on the fence about DLH or HoJo's. Being our first DLR trip, I chose DLH to stay on-property for the MTTMM and option of MM every day offered. :thumbsup2 After seeing the lay of the land, we may try HoJo's next time. They have a very "postive" following on the DISboards. :goodvibes

I was on the fence again, started to stay in DLH or HoJo. I decided on HoJo again. Our last room was so great we had a top floor facing DL room with the fireworks visible every night! It was so awesome and beautiful. It was also peaceful watching the fireworks and not being in the crowds.

You will love the DLH, but for us after that first time saving the money is so much better!

We just booked our first DL trip for this October. We're staying at the DLH. But we will be back to WDW next February. We just want to try out all the different rides that Disneyland has to offer plus we have family out in California so we will visit them while we are there.

:lmao: DH is still persisting the WDW trip for DD6's Spring Break in a few weeks. However, ALL the onsite resorts are booked. I didn't think that was a good sign crowd-wise. :scared: It will be a madhouse. :confused3 I guess a lot of people took advantage of the 4/3 deal and will be there for Spring Break too. We may be able to go, but stay off-site. Does anyone recommend any hotels near WDW? In the past, we have always stayed on-site. Oh wait! I take it back, they DID have rooms at the Swan and Dolphin. Has anyone stayed at either of those resorts? I know they are not owned by Disney, but enjoy the same on-property perks as other Disney guests. Also, any off-property hotel recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help. Who knows, we may be in Orlando in three weeks. :cool1:

I have stayed at the Dolphin and it was great! However, you can not charge back to your room. That would be the only downfall. Not sure about the dining plan. I stayed there way before the new dining plan.

Offsite......what about the Gaylord?

:lmao:...Oh wait! I take it back, they DID have rooms at the Swan and Dolphin. Has anyone stayed at either of those resorts? I know they are not owned by Disney, but enjoy the same on-property perks as other Disney guests. Also, any off-property hotel recommendations are appreciated.

On our January 2009 trip we stayed at Board Walk Villas, which share the bus line with Swan and Dolphin. I felt bad for the folks at S & D. Because by the time we left BW, the busses were almost always practically full. So the folks from S or D would have to stand. Also, they were dropped off after us on return trips. I said to my husband, that's the downside of not being a Disney property. Although technically the busses are available to those guests, it's not quite as good as the service at the Disney owned resorts.

For our Jan 2008 trip we stayed at Embassy Suites Orlando - Lake Buena Vista, 8100 Lake Street, Orlando, Florida. It was about $139 per night for a 2room suite (king bed in the bedroom and sleeper sofa in the main room, plus mini kitchen, table and chairs, etc). The free morning breakfast was good and the pool at hot tub were great. It wasn't that far from the parks (we had a rental car).

If you don't mind driving to the parks, it really was great.

:worship: I have to give my DH some praise. :love: Somehow, he got us into the All Star Movies resort the week of March 16th. So, we are off to WDW in three weeks! :cool1:

Thank you for all the hotel recommendations. DH really wanted to stay on-property. :banana: Somehow, he made it work. We've only stayed in a Value (ASMU) one other time for just one night (we got to WDW a day early). So, we know what to expect. It's a glorified motel with a Disney price.;) I honestly didn't care where we stayed. We'll be at the "Happiest Place on Earth!" :wizard:

It is right off of I-35E in the same shopping plaza as Garden Ridge and Toys R Us. You can't miss it! They are there for the next 30 days.

Here's a link to the company that offers these sales.

Happy Shopping! :wizard:

We went today. DH left work early and we had fun. Thanks for sharing the tip! :thumbsup2

:worship: I have to give my DH some praise. :love: Somehow, he got us into the All Star Movies resort the week of March 16th. So, we are off to WDW in three weeks! :cool1:

Thank you for all the hotel recommendations. DH really wanted to stay on-property. :banana: Somehow, he made it work. We've only stayed in a Value (ASMU) one other time for just one night (we got to WDW a day early). So, we know what to expect. It's a glorified motel with a Disney price.;) I honestly didn't care where we stayed. We'll be at the "Happiest Place on Earth!" :wizard:

You are so lucky! Enjoy your time. No matter how busy it is, you'll have a blast. You must have gotten in on those great airfare sales they are having! :goodvibes

We went today. DH left work early and we had fun. Thanks for sharing the tip! :thumbsup2

You are so lucky! Enjoy your time. No matter how busy it is, you'll have a blast. You must have gotten in on those great airfare sales they are having! :goodvibes

:goodvibes Glad you made it out to Lewisville. Did you get anything? I'm heading back there on Sunday.

:drive: We are driving to Florida. With a family of five, airfare can add up. Also, we love roadtrips. We've made the drive so many times, we honestly don't need the navigator anymore. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter