Was Disney gonna develop a merchandise line for boys in the 2000's

Ignoring the quality of the writing or why someone would or wouldn't like it. It is soo expensive and leads nowhere. Why spend time and money in a book just for it to be rebooted 20 issues in or change course completely? I don't have that kind of time or patience tbh.
Exactly why manga is outselling western comics by an insane margin. Go to any bookstore and see the difference in manga vs comics for sale.

I notice that women are more into manga too in comparison to comics. I don't know a single person, male or female, that reads comic books.

Exactly why manga is outselling western comics by an insane margin. Go to any bookstore and see the difference in manga vs comics for sale.

I notice that women are more into manga too in comparison to comics. I don't know a single person, male or female, that reads comic books.
The quality of Manga is significantly better than any comics being published today. That’s why they are popular. American comics lost their minds and started making a bunch of stupid stuff that interest no one.

Agree! Mangas don't have commitment issues.

There is not plot to exclude women at all and never has been.
If you spent just even 2 minutes on r/saltierthancrait, SW Twitter or a Marvel subreddit that I can't name here because it starts with the 4 letter F word then you'd know that isn't the case.

Why is ok to say the majority of people watching The Barbie Movie and buying Barbie merchandise are female, but not ok to say the same for OT Star Wars and boys?

Judging from all of the content that I've seen posted on TikTok/Instagram/Twitter etc and then from the film community subreddits I'm a part of, the demographic for the Barbie movie was actually pretty evenly spread due to the Barbenheimer phenomena that took place over the internet this summer. Yes, the actual dolls themselves are more often bought and collected by girls and women but Ryan Gosling pulled a lot of the male demographic in too and made the "Kenough" and "Mojo Dojo Casa House" memes go viral amongst the younger male population.

Go back and watch those scenes in big bang theory again. No one was being exclusionary at all, they were just shocked to see them there. Why were they shocked? Actually the guys were thrilled to have a woman present. Because women for the most part didn’t buy or obsess over comics.

There is not plot to exclude women at all and never has been.

Yes, I knew one or two girls who liked Star Wars in the 80s, but 80% of the boys did. Every boy I knew just about had a few Star Wars action figures and maybe one ship. Not a single girl I knew had any of that. I am not saying there were not female fans, I am saying the majority of the fans were male, which is 100% true.

Why is ok to say the majority of people watching The Barbie Movie and buying Barbie merchandise are female, but not ok to say the same for OT Star Wars and boys?

They may not have had the toys, but that's not the only definition of a fan. I remember when the first Star WArs was going to be shown on network TV. I tmay have even been the first time. Anyway, every kid in my class was excited about it - yes, even the girls. We all watched it and talked about it the next day. For many of us, that was our first time seeing it as there had not been a VHS release - assuming some of us had VCRs to begin with! One doesn't have to be a super-fan collecter type to be a fan in general.

Also, why is it okay or not okay? You're looking for a double standard that doesn't exist. It's okay to say either, but it's also not accurate. I would ask why does it need to be defined along those lines to begin with?

Last edited:
Well, I mean One Piece has over 1000 chapters...
Of a continuous story. I have no problem with long stories, what I dislike is when a story is cut short before having a satisfying conclusion.

One Piece is the opposite of commitment issues. It's life long commitment xD

Of a continuous story. I have no problem with long stories, what I dislike is when a story is cut short before having a satisfying conclusion.

One Piece is the opposite of commitment issues. It's life long commitment xD
Oh yeah I agree. Was trying to insert a joke but that's difficult in text form.

I'm in that life long commitment but it's more manageable than dealing with there being 30 versions of Batman that gets rebooted every 2 weeks and you're expected to keep track of it all.

Oh yeah I agree. Was trying to insert a joke but that's difficult in text form.

I'm in that life long commitment but it's more manageable than dealing with there being 30 versions of Batman that gets rebooted every 2 weeks and you're expected to keep track of it all.
This is why Wayne Family Adventures is the only canon Batman for me 🦇😁

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023...ials-drive-massive-box-office-for-barbie/amp/

Barbie is 65% female audience and merchandise sales are over 90% female. Where are you seeing the Barbie fans are split evenly between male and female?

Also merchandising is huge. Barbie merchandise will make the Barbie brand a mint this year.

Fan = short for fanatics. Yes, passionate fans watch the movie and then buy the merchandise and toys. Star Wars merch and toys used to be a massive lucrative business.

You folks keep wanting to find one of exceptions to a trend, but the demographics I have presented are indeed factual.

Star Wars merchandise sales are way way way way down compared to years past. Some of it is times have changed and kids don’t play with toys as much. However, some of it is the content is not good and not attractive to their prior main toy / merchandise purchasers. Males.

Star Wars has see around a 40% decline in toy sales in recent years. Sorry, but people just aren’t buying them anymore.

Last edited:
https://boundingintocomics.com/2023...ials-drive-massive-box-office-for-barbie/amp/

Barbie is 65% female audience and merchandise sales are over 90% female. Where are you seeing the Barbie fans are split evenly between male and female?

Also merchandising is huge. Barbie merchandise will make the Barbie brand a mint this year.

Fan = shot for fanatics. Yes, passionate fans watch the movie and then buy the merchandise and toys.
Buying merchandise does NOT define whether or not someone is a fan.
No, but if you buy merch you likely are a fan. You also contribute more to the franchise than the people that don’t buy merch, books, comics, and toys.

Uh yeah, sorry but I can't take the source posted seriously when the writer is complaining about "radical third wave feminist narratives"
Look up one of the other sources that google will pull up to give you similar data. All I did was google the question and that came up.

No, but if you buy merch you likely are a fan. You also contribute more to the franchise than the people that don’t buy merch, books, comics, and toys.

So you would rank fans by how much they spend supporting a franchise? Tell me the truth now, are you Christine McCarthy? 😉

This is a lie. You know what keeps a fandom alive? Fanfic writers, artists creating amazing pieces of art for free, fans in tumblr and twitter and dis/cord speculating about plot, and doing character analyses, and mashing up dif IPs because what if Rey but in Outlander??? and simply hyping the IP up. Fans overanalyzing the colors of the sky in a scene trying to figure out if it means something. All without spending a single cent.

Buying merchandise does NOT define whether or not someone is a fan.
Things have improved in recent years, but sometimes the problem was that there was no merchandise made for female fans. I remember when I was younger and the only women's fit t-shirts for my favorite baseball team were pink. I didn't want pink, I wanted team colors so I had to buy a men's shirt.

So you would rank fans by how much they spend supporting a franchise? Tell me the truth now, are you Christine McCarthy? 😉
I mean Disney is probably fairly content with overall merchandise performance. Solid 50% profit margins the last few years.

Things have improved in recent years, but sometimes the problem was that there was no merchandise made for female fans. I remember when I was younger and the only women's fit t-shirts for my favorite baseball team were pink. I didn't want pink, I wanted team colors so I had to buy a men's shirt.
RSVLTS has this issue. All of the really cool designs are not available in a women's cut so I buy the men's ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter