Want to "trade up" to a TT but not sure what a 3/4 ton tow vehicle means

whatever, go stay on the fort board, remember this side is beneath you.

Gessh what an inappropriate post and I will just ignore it since there is a post that is germane that the OP made that I need to respond to. As I said if you dont' want to contribute constructively don't post.

P.S. AND I and NOT YOU will decide where I post.

Larry

OP here. Another busy day at work followed by DD's Irish dance class, and what do I find? (A bunch of adults who ultimately manage to play well together in the sandbox, and who have some interesting viewpoints. Wish my family was more like that. Thank goodness we're not discussing politics.)

I'm a little confused about this, though - for those who have TTs, is the reason that you put stuff in the TV "trunk" (or bed or whatever) to avoid going over the maximum rating for your TV? What kind of "stuff" do you not put in the trailer? And why? Does this make a difference as to why you picked your specific TV?

Thanks for putting the discussion back on track as far as vehicles and not getting derailed. I chose this group for my info source, and I think it was a good choice.

--Pat

As far as what I put where, we often load up for a month or two on the road and have like 10 to 15 wine boxes full of seltzer or canned goods along with about 500lbs of tools, spare parts, etc. and I carry almost 60gal of fuel at times in the TV so I try and keep the wt carried in the TT to the minimum and just load up the TV which in my case is not an issue.

Most often I see folks can pack their trailer sparely, but once they load up their TV they can be over the TV GVWR or worse yet the AWR or tire ratings. With a Van like I have that is not an issue as my Van is rated for a 9500 GVWR, 20K GCWR and a 10K tow rating. When loaded for bear I'm close to 9200 on the TV and 7K on the TT axles for anywhere between 16 and 17K GCWR.

My rear GAWR is 6084 and one time after getting all the fuel onboard weighed in at 6200 on the rear axle and I took it easy for the next several hundred miles till I figured the fuel lowered that and didn't do that again.

Larry

As far as what I put where, we often load up for a month or two on the road and have like 10 to 15 wine boxes full of seltzer or canned goods along with about 500lbs of tools, spare parts, etc. and I carry almost 60gal of fuel at times in the TV so I try and keep the wt carried in the TT to the minimum and just load up the TV which in my case is not an issue.
Larry

So, if I understand correctly, you are using a commercial grade van that seems like it has been further upgraded as your TV?? (The van is the same model that is the basis for my Class C.)

A month or 2 on the road is well beyond what we need to prepare for or would most likely be "towing" - and even what we anticipate needing if we ever get to retire. I confess I'd also be concerned about carrying that much fuel around, given the careless drivers I have been encountering lately just getting DD to school. I can see that it could be practical, especially when there are/have been fuel shortages let alone the roller coaster that is the benchmark barrel price. Just not sure we'd ever be likely in the same kind of circumstances. Although the idea of a van is intriguing, I get the impression that it might not be practical for more than 2 people - it seems as though you have removed the seats in order to pack the van so completely?

Although I'm in a totally different class than most of the big boys, the reason I load a lot of stuff in my truck vs. the camper is twofold.

1) My CCC on my T@B is insanely low. My dry weight is 1710, my gross weight on the T@B is 1939, so that only leaves just over 200 lbs that I can add to the camper.

2) My second reason is I like to leave my T@B ready to sleep in, and loading a bunch of stuff inside won't accomplish that. If it's sleep ready all I have to do is pull or back into a site, plug in the electric and go to bed. This is good if I'm just overnighting on the road, or if the weather is nasty when I pull in.

Like I said my little camper is unique. My truck has a 5,000lb tow capacity, and a 9600lb GCVW, so I have no trouble carrying what I need.

Although I'm in a totally different class than most of the big boys, the reason I load a lot of stuff in my truck vs. the camper is twofold.Like I said my little camper is unique. My truck has a 5,000lb tow capacity, and a 9600lb GCVW, so I have no trouble carrying what I need.

We saw a T@B like yours at Hershey last week. Really cute, but I have claustrophobia issues and just walking inside was a challenge! DD and I have seen your pix and we just "had" to go in. DH asked why would you look at something you'll never buy and we said "we saw one like this on the DIS, but that one was MUCH cuter!" I could absolutely see why you would load your tow rather than the T@B.

Although I'm in a totally different class than most of the big boys, the reason I load a lot of stuff in my truck vs. the camper is twofold.

1) My CCC on my T@B is insanely low. My dry weight is 1710, my gross weight on the T@B is 1939, so that only leaves just over 200 lbs that I can add to the camper.

2) My second reason is I like to leave my T@B ready to sleep in, and loading a bunch of stuff inside won't accomplish that. If it's sleep ready all I have to do is pull or back into a site, plug in the electric and go to bed. This is good if I'm just overnighting on the road, or if the weather is nasty when I pull in.

Like I said my little camper is unique. My truck has a 5,000lb tow capacity, and a 9600lb GCVW, so I have no trouble carrying what I need.

can you carry all of Rick's beer?

I agree a 5 er is probably the best for towing but you lose some of your truck bed also due to the hitch which if you want to someday think about a cart you will have to think about a 5 er that is a toy hauler also which means you may need to re think the tow vechicle also now you are looking at a bigger 5 er to fit the family and cart if you like the floor plan of the 5 er's you can check out the tt's also i have a cougar that is a 5er in a tt body it has the front bed room the middle bath with the big angle shower then the kitchen/living room with the pair of chairs in the rear with the bg picture window
my camper has a dry weight of 6040# with a max of 9100#
just a thought if you get a chance look at all your options it would be a shame to buy something then wish you got a different one later

Thanks Jen, Pete, et al for the input on the Tundra... I would never have thought the bed and suspension wouldn't be up to the task though the engine and brakes are. Between the gas prices and having just dropped $3500 on the MoHo rear-end means we will likely stick with our current rig for a while anyhow!

Gessh what an inappropriate post and I will just ignore it since there is a post that is germane that the OP made that I need to respond to. As I said if you dont' want to contribute constructively don't post.

P.S. AND I and NOT YOU will decide where I post.

Larry

Wearing the big boy underpants today I see. Congrats.

Thanks Jen, Pete, et al for the input on the Tundra... I would never have thought the bed and suspension wouldn't be up to the task though the engine and brakes are. Between the gas prices and having just dropped $3500 on the MoHo rear-end means we will likely stick with our current rig for a while anyhow!

Toyota is probably better made than the Titan, but I wouldn't test the 1/2 tons any more than I had to.

I pulled a 27ft TT that weighed 6400# fully loaded ready to camp, with my 1/2 ton Avalanche. Although it was within all of the weight limits it just always felt like I was beating the truck up or asking too much of it. I had an exhaust and intake improvements and that helped a little.

that's because you loaded the trailer full of beer and made your family take greyhound.

Go Greyhound, and leave the drinking to us!!!

I bought a new F150 Friday night...I need to find a place to install a tow package because Ford wanted an extra $700+, and I heard you guys talking about having them installed in the $3-400 range. Should I look for something specific about where to have one installed?

I bought a new F150 Friday night...I need to find a place to install a tow package because Ford wanted an extra $700+, and I heard you guys talking about having them installed in the $3-400 range. Should I look for something specific about where to have one installed?

My SUV had the package installed, but I did have to get the brake controller and the WD hitch and sway bar installed when we bought the TT. I'd look for a Hitches Plus (usu with U-Haul) or look for a sizable RV dealer. They probably have a place nearby that does their hitch work, and you might get a deal on the tow package. Between those 2 places I got the controller and hardware installed a lot cheaper than Toyota was quoting me.

Congrats on the truck, btw. Took Ford a couple of decades to design a truck that I like. Now they are tied with Toyota as far as design, I think.

Enjoy it, and let us know when you get to put that tow package to use! :cool1:

Somebody was jerking your chain when they told you that. Now I may be wrong but a Tow package is much more than just the hitch. It generally includes a heavy duty alternator & cooling system, heavy duty suspension components, transmission cooler, 10,000lb hitch, wiring harness, a minimum of 3.73 gearing and possibly more. I don't think you is puttin' this stuff on for $700.00. Hate to say this but there are some people you should listen to and some you shouldn't. It is ALWAYS cheaper to get a Tow Package from the factory.

Somebody was jerking your chain when they told you that. Now I may be wrong but a Tow package is much more than just the hitch. It generally includes a heavy duty alternator & cooling system, heavy duty suspension components, transmission cooler, 10,000lb hitch, wiring harness, a minimum of 3.73 gearing and possibly more. I don't think you is puttin' this stuff on for $700.00. Hate to say this but there are some people you should listen to and some you shouldn't. It is ALWAYS cheaper to get a Tow Package from the factory.

OK, red-faced. I guess I was just thinking about the receiver, and forgot the rest of the wonderful-ness that has to come with it. In our case the receiver came with the tow package from the factory, and I was pricing out the controller and hitch work. That's what I get for answering without thinking it all the way through. :confused:

I'm betting your truck has most of what it needs, Roger. If Ford is talking 700 bucks, it sounds like they are talking about the receiver only. I'm surprised it didn't come with it, since my dealership doesn't have an F150 on the lot that doesn't include the tow package. Generally speaking, the Ford receiver will fit better than any after market one and gives a nice, clean look with only the actual receiver exposed - the frame of it tucks nicely into the truck frame. Be sure to check the rear axle ratio and also look for a tranny cooler - once again, I would be surprised if it didn't already have one. Carol was going to have one installed on her SportTrac and I convinced her to check under the hood - sure enough, there was already one on board. If indeed you don't have the package, you will be limited by that rear axle ratio as to what you can safely and comfortably pull. I do like my F150 alot and have minimal problems over the past 3 years with it. It tows my hybrid effortlessly.

So, if I understand correctly, you are using a commercial grade van that seems like it has been further upgraded as your TV?? (The van is the same model that is the basis for my Class C.)

A month or 2 on the road is well beyond what we need to prepare for or would most likely be "towing" - and even what we anticipate needing if we ever get to retire. I confess I'd also be concerned about carrying that much fuel around, given the careless drivers I have been encountering lately just getting DD to school. I can see that it could be practical, especially when there are/have been fuel shortages let alone the roller coaster that is the benchmark barrel price. Just not sure we'd ever be likely in the same kind of circumstances. Although the idea of a van is intriguing, I get the impression that it might not be practical for more than 2 people - it seems as though you have removed the seats in order to pack the van so completely?

Several points:

1. The Van is a cargo van and considered commercial, but except for the interior trim behind the A-pillar and windows it's basically the same as a passenger van. When I ordered it I had every option you could get on a passenger van except the seats, windows (I only opted for the rear and sliding door). The only option for the passenger vans that I could not get was the CD/tape player. The only two passenger van option I choose not to get were the rear heater/AC along with the aluminum wheels. Also, on my Van going the way I did I got real tow mirrors like you see on a lot of ambulances which are stainless and swing out when towing. I finished it off my self to my needs for under $1500. Back in 2001 the total cost after just the mods to the van itself was less than $33,000 and that including taxes, tags, delivery fees etc.

2. Doing what I did is probably not a first time DIY type thing, but I had owned a Van since 1979 similar to this one and knew what it takes and knew exactly what I wanted. You can see the Van mods if you go to my main webshots page in my signature.

3. My van is a single RWD and most Class C's are dualies and the frame is different than what I have.

4. As far as the fuel your concern is somewhat well founded, but diesel is pretty safe and not like gas. I would never think to carry 20gal of gas inside my van when traveling. Also, it's now just the two of us, no kids so the DW and I have assume this extra risk and if something happens I'm more concerned about that 8,000 lb thing behind us running us over, over a little diesel here or there that probably won't ignite for like a day or two of traveling. I do the extra fuel just to beat the higher prices for a short time and extend my range when on a longer trip. With 60gal of fuel I'm good towing for well over 600 miles which is nice.

5. As far as persons my Van is exactly setup like my 1978 which we made multiple trips across country with our two sons from when they were born until they went to college. We had and still have the same sofa bed in the rear and when they were growing up, it was made into a large double bed and they two of them along with one or two of our dogs road back there. There were no seatbelts and back in the 1970's and early 1980's the use of seatbelts is not like it is today.

6. A full sized Van in the 1T variety in the passenger flavor is probably the most capable and spacious TV you can find. Even in the non extended version it even puts the monsterous Ford Excursion to shame in the people and cargo carrying capacity.

7. On down side is that they're not cool looking :laughing:

Larry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter