VWL Groupies...yes, we love the Lodge, a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow will be our 8th Snow Day. What a winter!
Too bad about the Murphy bed. I wanted to show my DD's friend a picture of it and ask him if he would have nightmares with those forest friends peering at him! ( just to clarify, my DD, her boyfriend, and their friend- who will be sleeping I am not sure where- sleeper couch?) are all in their late 20's)

It has been bad. Philly made the top 5 snowiest winters in it's history of recording weather stats. And the Winter is still young unfortunately!!!! This last storm was #11 for us.

Thanks to all my VWL Groupies friends for the lovely birthday wishes. Had a snow day to enjoy my birthday today. Lots of snow but still a lovely day.

So, I have a question for all the VWL experts here. If you had 16 high school students with you on a senior trip, do you think they'd enjoy breakfast more at Whispering Canyon (with breakfast skillet and cast member antics) or Roaring Fork (best Mickey waffles on property, in my opinion, and less expensive)? After breakfast we're all taking the Wonders of the Lodge tour. I'm so excited to introduce my students to my "home away from home." :cool1:

Stay warm, friends! :thumbsup2

Happy Valentine's Birthday Cheer4bison !!!!

Thanks to all my VWL Groupies friends for the lovely birthday wishes. Had a snow day to enjoy my birthday today. Lots of snow but still a lovely day.

So, I have a question for all the VWL experts here. If you had 16 high school students with you on a senior trip, do you think they'd enjoy breakfast more at Whispering Canyon (with breakfast skillet and cast member antics) or Roaring Fork (best Mickey waffles on property, in my opinion, and less expensive)? After breakfast we're all taking the Wonders of the Lodge tour. I'm so excited to introduce my students to my "home away from home." :cool1:

My wife and I lead the junior & senior high groups at our church, my daughter is a freshman. I took a small group of them to snow camp in Michigan mid January for a weekend. Those were the high school kids. Boys always pack it away, but the girls not so much. I would suggest going to roaring fork and save the dough. The average breakfast Whispering Canyon with a tip will be $12 to $15. They can go to different lines at the Roaring Fork or go with fruit and cereal. Probably about $10 or less there. Easier in and out too I would suspect. If one is hungry, a hearty breakfast is available at the fork too.

Good luck. Sixteen high school kids. Hope you have help and lots of stamina.

My best wishes for a great birthday, too! Hope it was a superb one. :) I, too, vote for Roaring Fork over Whispering Canyon. The cost should be a bit less, the lines for a traditional breakfast is different than the one for waffles (meaning faster service overall), and there is plenty of variety. I also agree that the best Mickey waffles are right there at Roaring Fork. We have to stop there at least once each trip. :thumbsup2

Have an amazing trip JT and fam! I hope you don't have too much trouble getting out of the storms and have a safe trip 'home'!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Good Saturday Morning Groupies!
WOW, JT, today's the day! Safe travels as you head to the sunshine state. May your roads be clear of snow and ice. :drive:

Happy Belated Birthday, Jill! How special you were able to stay home on your birthday :good vibes: As far as breakfast for your 'kids', I'd also do Roaring Fork over Whispering Canyon. While it's been about 3 years since we've eaten breakfast at WC, I personally didn't think there were that many choices.

Boy sleepy, your pictures are looking like you must live in the Northeast! So much snow! Our drive is about 250' and frequently has this much snow during winter months. The blowing and drifting only make is worse. We've driven 4-wheel drive/AWD cars for many years. I prefer to stay IN and look at it rather than be OUT in it :) I think Maria's area has been hit the hardest this year. Her weather has been relentless.

Ahhhh to be in some sun :sunny:

Good Saturday Morning Groupies!
WOW, JT, today's the day! Safe travels as you head to the sunshine state. May your roads be clear of snow and ice. :drive:

I prefer to stay IN and look at it rather than be OUT in it :) I think Maria's area has been hit the hardest this year. Her weather has been relentless.

Ahhhh to be in some sun :sunny:

Oh, Di.....another 2-4 inches coming today in a quick moving Noreaster. I heard New England is getting a blizzard from this system. On our local TV news they said Philly and outlying area has had snow covered grounds 21 out of the last 24 days. I long for SPRING (and in Philly, that really means LATE SPRING because we've had snow in early Spring!).

Have lots of FUN JT !!!!!!!

My best wishes for a great birthday, too! Hope it was a superb one. :) I, too, vote for Roaring Fork over Whispering Canyon. The cost should be a bit less, the lines for a traditional breakfast is different than the one for waffles (meaning faster service overall), and there is plenty of variety. I also agree that the best Mickey waffles are right there at Roaring Fork. We have to stop there at least once each trip. :thumbsup2

Thanks for your input, friends! I am leaning toward Roaring Fork for the group. Do you think it would be overwhelming for Roaring Fork for 18 of us (16 kids + 2 chaperones) to show up all at once (around 8 am)? Do you think we'll be able to find seating?

Stay warm and wishing safe travels to the JimmyTammy family! Can't wait to see photos posted!

Just wanted to share my excitement! We arrive on Monday afternoon, nine night studio stay with nothing for me to do but relax and enjoy the warm and sun!! DH has to work, but what's not to like about working poolside at VWL?!?!

Hey All!! We are here at Sports, arrived at 4:15, about 9 1/2 hr dr. Tired now but will ck in Sun and keep yall in the loop.

Hey All!! We are here at Sports, arrived at 4:15, about 9 1/2 hr dr. Tired now but will ck in Sun and keep yall in the loop.

Yay! Get some rest JT and report back to us about all things disney tomorrow!!! :dance3::yay::banana:

Jealous DVCTigger!!!! Ahhhh, that WL pool !!!!!

So glad that your birthday was lovely!!! Good luck with the kids.

Oh, Di.....another 2-4 inches coming today in a quick moving Noreaster. I heard New England is getting a blizzard from this system. On our local TV news they said Philly and outlying area has had snow covered grounds 21 out of the last 24 days. I long for SPRING (and in Philly, that really means LATE SPRING because we've had snow in early Spring!).

Have lots of FUN JT !!!!!!!

Hang in there Maria. This has been a crazy winter for us Texans also. We are now enjoying high 60's into the low 70's after all the 30 degree days and winter mix stuff that we don't know how to deal with. My hat goes off to all y'all that are dealing with so much snow. I hope it is over soon for all of you.

Just wanted to share my excitement! We arrive on Monday afternoon, nine night studio stay with nothing for me to do but relax and enjoy the warm and sun!! DH has to work, but what's not to like about working poolside at VWL?!?!

Have a good trip and tell DH to enjoy his temporary office.

Get some rest Jimmy and you and Tammy enjoy the sun.

Hi there groupie friends! Long time no see. I've read back several pages but can't remember the last time I logged on so no way I'm going to be able to catch up completely. Hope everyone is doing well. I was expecting to see a new thread. I'm a little surprised the Mods haven't shut this one down for being too large.

Muushka - I'm very sorry for your loss. :hug:

DDad - thanks for the overview of DLP. Very interesting. Not sure when or if we'll ever make it over there but maybe some day.

DDi - I enjoyed seeing all your pictures on FB too.

JT - enjoy your trip!

Welcome to all the new groupies that have joined since last time I checked in! :welcome:

Just found this on DVC News. I think I'm about ready to cry - it looks a lot like BWV. Now I like BWV but not at VWL! And an area carpet that I could buy at Home Depot. Did the decorator not understand the theme?! :( WL just received awards in good part because if it's refurb which is very cute. And we get this. Generic blah.

b_0_0_0_10_images_stories_vwl_VWL_Refurb_2014a.JPG

I don't hate it but I don't love it either. Bland is how I'd describe it. First they took away the themed dinnerware & replaced them with generic white & now they've made the rooms bland too. Sad.

As for the refurb, I fall into the don't-hate-it-but-don't-love-it camp, as well. While the old rooms were a bit dated, the throw-back theme worked for us. We felt all the rooms needed were some updated, but well-themed furniture. We stayed at Kidani a few years ago and thought that a similar approach to VWL would work wonders. Instead, they went for milquetoast and minimalism, neither vision fitting the grandeur of the Lodge. It appears as though Disney wants to appeal to the middle-of-the-road tastes in much of what they do anymore including refurbs. What made Disney special to me in the beginning was their derring-do, their ability to find the unique nature in a ride or attraction or resort.

There's a term that's been in use for a couple of decades now regarding society in general: dumbing down. Disney seems to be following that trend. Mass appeal was once based on demonstrating enough flair in a variety of ways; now the mass appeal skews to cookie-cutter, cost saving measures. Great for stockholders, not so much for nostalgia. Take Push, for example. A small pleasure to be sure, but one that made strolling Tomorrowland unique--he is no more and that makes me sad.

I do love Disney, but I wish they'd make more decisions with their hearts than their calculators, and that includes the refurb to the Lodge. ;)

Thanks Patrick. You summed up exactly what I've been thinking for some time now. I love Disney & I know they're a corporation in the business to make money but more & more I just see them chipping away at all those little details that made WDW so special. It just seems to be all about packing 'em in now & more geared to first time visitors that don't know what they're missing. Seems like every time I go they have removed something from a menu that made that restaurant unique. It's getting to the point where we have very few restaurants we even want to eat at anymore. The removal of Push just baffled me & made me so sad. I remember the first time my kids ran into Push. So special. We always loved seeing him. How much could that seriously have cost them? I just don't get why they removed it. I did read it had something to do with the license being up but I still just don't get it. :sad2:

Totally not Disney related but I'm just back from a group cruise with a big bunch of DVC members on the Celebrity Constellation. Oh what fun we had! DVC people are such nice & fun people. If you ever have the opportunity to travel with a group of DVC members do it! If you're a cruise lover & haven't tried Celebrity I'd recommend that too. A totally different experience then DCL but a really good one. A bunch of us then drove up to WDW from Ft. Lauderdale after the cruise. I was only there for one night & unfortunately it rained that day. One member of the group was staying in a 1 BR at VGF so she had us all over for a little cocktail & viewing party. All I can say is WOW! They are gorgeous. I wish they'd replace the horrible stoves in all DVC units with the nice flat top ones at VGF. I have yet to stay in any 1 BR that the burners on the stove actually lay flat. It makes it very difficult for cooking & we do eat in the room frequently. I really hope to get the chance to stay here some time in the future. It will have to be during a low season due to the point chart though.

Snow, snow & more snow here just like many of you. I'm so over winter. Counting down the days until my annual birthday/solo trip next month. It's going to be a very short one this time. Just Fri.-Sun. but still better then nothing.

I'll try to check in more frequently. Take care groupies! :wave2:

Thanks for your input, friends! I am leaning toward Roaring Fork for the group. Do you think it would be overwhelming for Roaring Fork for 18 of us (16 kids + 2 chaperones) to show up all at once (around 8 am)? Do you think we'll be able to find seating?

Stay warm and wishing safe travels to the JimmyTammy family! Can't wait to see photos posted!
You might find it easier to take the first group down about 8 and then bring in the second group 15 minutes or so later, but that might not work for you as a group. The only real issue is time it takes to cook the meals for that many people. Unless it's raining, the outside patio would be available to sit and eat.

In other news, we are not heading to WDW anytime soon. :headache: I've unburied my 4Runner, but my driveway has just been too much for me to handle shoveling, so I have a neighbor headed over in a bit who has a snow plow on the back of a tractor. I just couldn't see shoveling a 6' wide by 200' long swath of compacted, slightly melted snow. We are supposed to be in the mid-50s by mid-week, though. Let's hope. For all those dealing with even more serious snow issues, our best wishes for you to soon get better weather. :thumbsup2

Based on Jimmy's FB page, I think it's safe to say that Jimmy, Tammy et al are having a wonderful time! :thumbsup2

I looked back at the first page and see that they are at WDW from February 15 through March 1. Wow, that's a great long trip! Glad to see you're taking some good relaxing time off, Jimmy!

DW & I decided that we needed to make slightly longer trips too so our next two trips will be 11 nights each instead of the 7 night trips we've been taking the last few years.

I hope everyone is digging out of the snow. Here in St. Louis it looks like the snow and ice are finally heading out as we have some 50 degree temps coming in this week. Yeah!! :banana:

Happy Birthday Nicoal13 AKA Nicole!!!!

I am sorry for being 2 days late:confused3

For some reason at the start of our trips, we go wide open, not thinking its going to catch up soon, well it hit us Sun AM and been a blur since, but a good blur.
So here is a synopsis in pics so far
Last night, really impressed with this place, 1st time but wont be the last

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter