Vintage resort pics?

My first stay at the Contempoary was in the Spring of 1979. We had been to WDW once before and stayed at a HOJO's somewhere in Orlando. I really wanted to stay at the Contemporary so my mother called WDW on her own, we had dealt with Liberty travel on the first trip, and she was able to get us a room in the garden wing two years and two months out for $69 per night! Everything else was all booked up, so we happily waited. Now you could drive into WDW and get a room pretty much at any hotel.

My first stay at the Contempoary was in the Spring of 1979. We had been to WDW once before and stayed at a HOJO's somewhere in Orlando. I really wanted to stay at the Contemporary so my mother called WDW on her own, we had dealt with Liberty travel on the first trip, and she was able to get us a room in the garden wing two years and two months out for $79 per night! Everything else was all booked up, so we happily waited. Now you could drive into WDW and get a room pretty much at any hotel.

I don't quite know about that, I tried to book the Contemporary for JANUARY 2008 a couple days ago and they were already sold out of some room types.

Here is me and my sister sitting on the Polynesian patio also. I think this was taken in 1978. My father is sitting in the room no doubt going over our game plan for the next day...
"Let's see we can go to the Magic Kingdom or the Magic Kingdom...."

f201df07.jpg

Who's the little green guy in between you and your sister? Looks like the little yoda smilie you've got for your DS3 in your signature!

Lovin these pictures by the way. :goodvibes

Who's the little green guy in between you and your sister? Looks like the little yoda smilie you've got for your DS3 in your signature!

Lovin these pictures by the way. :goodvibes

That was a toy called stretch monster. You stretch and pull his legs, arms body and it would go back to its original shape. Until he got a hole in him and his hazardous gooey guts would leak out and you'd have to throw him out before you got any of it on you. Ah the good old days.

Very cool pics!! Thanks for sharing!!! I also think it all looks "very Brady" !!:goodvibes

These photos were taken exactly 30 years ago tomorrow (1977-yikes!). From my mom's recollection, we stayed on the 9th floor with an MK view and Phyllis Diller was performing at the top of the hotel. Now that I'm an adult with 3 kids, I'm planning our first vacation to WDW in Feb 2008. I had a hard time deciding which resort to stay at, but after going through these old photos, I thought what a better way to go than the CR! I wish I still had my yellow hat...

http://
wdw_1977009.jpg

wdw_1977008.jpg

wdw_1977007.jpg

Thank you for posting the reto pics of the Poly pool. My husband assured me that I was crazy for remembering a slide there before it was all remodeled.

Can'twait:

Those pictures are a scream!!!!

I'll bet they bring back some momories too.

Thanks for posting them.

Love this thread! I hope to get a scanner sometime this year. If so, I have to get my parents photo album. We have pic's from 1976 and 1979. We stayed at Ft. Wilderness but I know we took some Poly pic's because we went to the Luau. In 1979 when I was 16 my cousin and I took the boat from the campground to Poly to use the pool (it was allowed back then:goodvibes ) and I too remember the cave slide. We thought it was so great. Also have some Poly pic's from our honeymoon in 1985. We stayed in Samoa which isn't Samoa anymore - not sure what it's called now.

These photos were taken exactly 30 years ago tomorrow (1977-yikes!). From my mom's recollection, we stayed on the 9th floor with an MK view and Phyllis Diller was performing at the top of the hotel. Now that I'm an adult with 3 kids, I'm planning our first vacation to WDW in Feb 2008. I had a hard time deciding which resort to stay at, but after going through these old photos, I thought what a better way to go than the CR! I wish I still had my yellow hat...

wdw_1977007.jpg

Whoa! Check out Dale's 'flap' :scared:. I didn't make it to Disney until I was in my 20's, so the costumes were more like they are today!

WOW, what great memories this thread is invoking! :goodvibes .

I need to get to my mothers (4 blocks away), get the pix, then try to figure out how to use the darn scanner and then figure out how to post :lmao: :lmao:

I hope I can do it, we have some decent shots of our MK view room at the CR in 1976.

wdw_1977007.jpg

I had that same yellow hat. LOL. We went August of 1977 for the first time. We stayed offsite at the Hyatt. I remember going on Space Mountain and sitting on my hat and I was so afraid of it getting loss.

That was the first thing my parent did when we enter the MK. We all got hats of our choice and had your names embroided on them.

this is the Poly in 1973... I'm sure the wallpaper would be a good seller today...
73poly.jpg

A Contemp view out of the room towards the park... where are the trees? Also 1973...
73contemp.jpg

Inside a Contemp room... the "map" picture on the right is now a "holy grail" to park collectors and probably would bring thousands of $$$... if you could find one! It measured 4 by 5 feet. This was in May '77.
disb2.jpg

The "Indian" art prints in each room were scenes from the Mary Blair Grand Canyon mural on the elevator shaft. They are very hard to find today, but some do exist...
disb1.jpg

I have some pics of the "Indian" art if anyone is interested...

Still loving the photos, esp the new Contemporary resort pics. How cool is that map picture? The decor in the rooms is priceless. I stayed off site at a HI on hwy 192 in April 77'. Could only dream that one day I would stay on the grounds, thank goodness they opened the mod and value resorts. All of you who posted picture are very lucky to have stayed there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter