Video Chat

just a YMMV
arrived Oct 24, went to EPCOT guest relations to renew DAS. no questions no issues.
asked if I would still have to do the Video Chat for my Nov 21 resort stay since I have an approved DAS was told yes.

I should be able to call starting on Oct 30 to get all my days. was told program started Nov 1 and would have to wait till then to call and do everything. Sure hope since I am fairly local I don't have to go through the video chat for each future stay within my 60 days. It will be interesting to see how this new advance system works for locals.

sounds like the DAS training was minimal at best for the in park guest services as the CM was unable to answer any of my questions beyond the program starts Nov 1 and to call then. As this is a new service we shall see how things go on Oct 30.

The DAS selection showed up on MDE. i didn't use it yet as we were just going to dinner so tomorrow will be the test.
we registered our daughter for DAS at Epcot on 10/26. The CM we got asked what DD’s issues with waiting in the lines were. After hearing my explanation of the issues, she approved DAS and told us it was approved for 60 days, thru December 24. That date was right on her screen. I wonder if there was a miscommunication between you and the CM - the DAS would be valid for 60 days, so you would not need to call to get registered for DAS. The CM you were talking to might have answered that way because you were interested in the DAS Advance Selections, which are ONLY done in connection with video chat. You may find when you call that since you already have a valid DAS, you are not eligible. I’ll be interested to hear.

The CM who helped us seemed very well informed. She said video chat right now is a pilot and will actually be fully begun on November 1. I didn’t expect her to know much because the park CMs are not really involved at all with video DAS registration.
I have a couple of questions before I try the video chat for my upcoming trip.

When you sign on to do the video chat does it give you an estimated wait time? Is there an update for wait time?

I am less than 30 days out from the start of my trip, but not 30 days out from the last day I have park reservations. If I were to call today I would only be able to get DAS Advanced Reservation for part of my trip. From my understanding I will have to call back to get the rest of my DAS Advanced Reservation at the 30 day mark for the rest of the days? Is the wait the same as the initial DAS video chat or is that a different chat with less wait time?

TIA!
The information on the Disney website about DAS does say
« Please note that all park visits must be within 30 to 2 days of the live
chat. »
Right now they have been allowing people to call back for days that are greater than 30 days of the live chat, but there is no guarantee they will continue to do that.
Because of the wording on the website, my guess is that they may not, so I would just call when all of your park reservation days are within the 2-30 day window.
I thought I had read that with the previous DAS system you could sometimes get extensions on the # of people? Am I remembering that right? I'm going to be a party of 9 - my family of 5, my MIL and my BIL,SIL and niece. Will I be out of luck in having everyone on the DAS? if I go in person to GS when we get there, is there a chance of having all 9? This is only my 2nd time at WDW and my first time needing a DAS.
The usual number in 6 (5 plus the person with the disability). Anything more than that is an exception and in the past might require a Supervisor to approve. In the past, 7 or 8 was usually not an issue, especially if the majority were children.
I have not seen anything regarding people getting approved for more than 6 on the video chat.
There is always the possibility that an attraction will not allow more than 6 to be put on the DAS Return Time, no matter how many are linked to the DAS.
Thank you! The DAS pass will be for my son who doesn’t get home from school until after 3. Since he has to be present that leaves only weekends, but even that would be difficult if the wait is 6 hours or so. I am wondering if I should try to sign in at 1 in the afternoon if the wait is so long and about time a CM come on he will be home from school to be there for the video chat.
Times have been coming down and have been inconsistent, so it’s hard to say what your actual time will be.

Because people keep asking about waits I got in the queue at 7:09 eastern and it took 2 hours total to get the video call done, DAS approved and make the 2 advanced selections. I would have been on right at 7 but I was questioning if it was working, lol.

we registered our daughter for DAS at Epcot on 10/26. The CM we got asked what DD’s issues with waiting in the lines were. After hearing my explanation of the issues, she approved DAS and told us it was approved for 60 days, thru December 24. That date was right on her screen. I wonder if there was a miscommunication between you and the CM - the DAS would be valid for 60 days, so you would not need to call to get registered for DAS. The CM you were talking to might have answered that way because you were interested in the DAS Advance Selections, which are ONLY done in connection with video chat. You may find when you call that since you already have a valid DAS, you are not eligible. I’ll be interested to hear.

The CM who helped us seemed very well informed. She said video chat right now is a pilot and will actually be fully begun on November 1. I didn’t expect her to know much because the park CMs are not really involved at all with video DAS registration.

I will be calling Tuesday so we will see what happens. I’ll let everyone know what happens

Just finished the first 4 park days of our trip (11/26-11/29).

Got on at 9 this morning, even though we had planned at doing it at 7, but we overslept. Waited almost 2 hours there, before getting off since we needed to run to the store. Got back on at 1, waited til 3:45 to get to the first CM. Entered in our information, got past them to the CM doing the video chat about 5 minutes later. Set it up in about 15 or so minutes. Then waited another 2 hours to get to the last CM. She couldn't find DB's DAS at first, and asked if we wanted a video chat, but after I gave the information, she found it, and did it for those 4 days. We do have 4 more days after this, so I'll wait a few days and hopefully it won't be as painful as it was this time around.

Just finished the first 4 park days of our trip (11/26-11/29).

Got on at 9 this morning, even though we had planned at doing it at 7, but we overslept. Waited almost 2 hours there, before getting off since we needed to run to the store. Got back on at 1, waited til 3:45 to get to the first CM. Entered in our information, got past them to the CM doing the video chat about 5 minutes later. Set it up in about 15 or so minutes. Then waited another 2 hours to get to the last CM. She couldn't find DB's DAS at first, and asked if we wanted a video chat, but after I gave the information, she found it, and did it for those 4 days. We do have 4 more days after this, so I'll wait a few days and hopefully it won't be as painful as it was this time around.

There’s a direct link to planning on the first post on this thread. It skips the video portion of the chat.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...-disney-genie-post-1-edited-10-25-21.3849395/

Last edited:
I was able to get a lunch reservation for one of my daughter's favorite restaurants for our trip in two weeks, but it conflicted with one of the advance selections I had booked. I logged into the DAS planning chat this morning at 7:01 (6:01 my time), and I was chatting with Dave by 7:42. He told me he couldn't see what other times are available until he canceled my other selection so I told him to go ahead. Nine minutes passed and he hadn't responded so I typed are you still there. Of course, I got the automated response you get when you initially log on to the chat, so I assume I got sent back to the original queue. I just checked MDE, and of course he canceled the other time I had, but now I have nothing to replace it. This is extremely frustrating! I don't understand why the system is so glitchy! I never got a connection unavailable message, and Dave's name is even still at the top of the screen as if I'm still chatting with him. Now that it's later on a Saturday morning, there's no telling how long I'll have to wait to chat again...if it even works. Ugh! I wish I had used my daughter"s laptop since it seems less glitchy than using my phone, but the planning chat worked fine on my phone last time I made a change.

On at 7 today. Went through some sort of pre-registration chat about an hour in. 9:40 now and waiting for the official video chat still 🤷‍♀️

so 5 hours and when we finally got to the part where we could make passes he said he couldn’t find the DAS pass, then contacted the agent who helped us who said it was there, and they said since it wasn’t showing on their end still to call back again tomorrow 🙄🙄🙄ugh.

so 5 hours and when we finally got to the part where we could make passes he said he couldn’t find the DAS pass, then contacted the agent who helped us who said it was there, and they said since it wasn’t showing on their end still to call back again tomorrow 🙄🙄🙄ugh.
So sorry that happened! Their system must've been having issues earlier today since we both had issues. However, I was just able to change my advance pass time after waiting in the planning queue for an hour, so you shouldn't have to wait nearly as long when you try again. Good luck!

I’ve been waiting in the chat for 2 1/2 hours. I haven’t gotten anything except the first response about what dates are eligible.

As I think about DS-9 and his ability/inability to be available for video chat, I have a question. It seems that the entire process is basically a 2-step process: First, registration; and then second, selection of DAS Advance Selections. Does my son need to be on the video chat for only the first step for registration? Or does he ALSO need to be on for the Advance Selections? I am thinking about situations where some are reporting getting registered first, and then having new difficulties connecting from registration to selection queues. While doing everything in one sitting would be preferred, obviously, if that can't be done, would I just be able to do the selections with a CM on my own, without bothering about my son's school schedule?
Thanks.

As I think about DS-9 and his ability/inability to be available for video chat, I have a question. It seems that the entire process is basically a 2-step process: First, registration; and then second, selection of DAS Advance Selections. Does my son need to be on the video chat for only the first step for registration? Or does he ALSO need to be on for the Advance Selections? I am thinking about situations where some are reporting getting registered first, and then having new difficulties connecting from registration to selection queues. While doing everything in one sitting would be preferred, obviously, if that can't be done, would I just be able to do the selections with a CM on my own, without bothering about my son's school schedule?
Thanks.
The Disney website info about DAS says the person registering/being registered for DAS needs to be present for the registration. It doesn’t say anything about needing to be present for the DAS Advance Selections.
So your thought sounds like it would work.

We did the DAS video chat and advance selections Saturday (yesterday). It took 11 hours from start to finish. Wife called right at 7 am. We finished just before 6 pm. My son only needed to be there when my wife was talking to the actual live person (took about 2-3 minutes of his time). Making the actual ride selections was via a regular chat and was the easiest part. Hopefully by next year Disney has figured out a way to make this not take literally an entire day. But we are happy we now have 12 rides selected for our 6 days ahead of time.

Update #1 on today's attempt: Got on at 7:03 on Chrome and at 7:04 in a seperate tab of Microsoft Edge. Xada hopped on (on Chrome) at 9:14 and asked for dates and names and for me to fill out basic address and confirmation # form for our reservation.

At 9:22, Xada left me this:
It does look like you are eligible to continue the process. Please bear with us while a Video Chat Cast Member becomes available to set up the next steps for Disability Access Service qualification.

Please be sure that the guest whom you are applying for is available for video chat and that you accept the DAS terms and conditions.

Also, please note that there may be wait times, and your message will be answered in the order it was received.

Please, do not close out of this chat window or open a new one in a different window. Thank you for your patience with us during this process. Are you ready to be transferred?

Followed by this auto-message:

Your message has been transferred to our Video Chat Pre-Registration team. Please be assured your message has been received and a Cast Member will be with you as soon as possible.

I haven't read any reports of this situation, but I would think they could do both on the same call. I'd think it might create a challenge if done separately, because a DAS-holder cannot be listed on another person's DAS party and that will also directly impact the Advanced Selections. Please report back how it works for you.
That’s a change, since DS and I have both had DAS in the past. Can you explain what you mean by “a DAS holder cannot be listed on another person’s DAS party?”

My wife did the DAS video chat this morning - clicked in right at 7am, then waited for a while to put info into the form, then waited some more until the video chat came up - odd thing was we could not hear her, but she could hear us, and after trying to fix it, she decided to go ahead and just use chat for her responses. This worked fine, and when my wife described her concerns, Raynette said just explain and when I hear a key word, I will let you know. So my wife must have said that word in her first sentence, Raynette gave her the 'cut' signal - a hand motion across her neck and that was it. I think we were done with that by 8:30. Then transferred to the advance DAS chat where Dave helped us. We had already written down some ideas for what rides we wanted on each day (9 days) and that helped it go quick. Entire process was completed by 9.

We had tried yesterday, but stated later in the morning, was able to put the info into the form, but needed to run a few errands and by the time we came back, it looked like around 1:30 they wanted to start the video chat. We tried again, but never got through all evening.

When picking the DAS Advance selections, we were able to have some of them overlap. For example on one day at Epcot we have Soarin and Spaceship Earth both at 3-4pm. I think this will work as they are not too far apart and as long as we do one of them right at 3, then head over to the second one and tap in before 4.

And now...at 10:12...my dog knocked something and completely rebooted my laptop!! Got right back in, but obviously no clue if I'm actually still in the queue or not, now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter