Veteran of the Day

WDW Enabler

Founding Father of the HARDHAT BRIGADE
How many Verterans of the days do we have in our DIS ranks?

For those that do not know everyday at 5 pm the flag at the Magic Kingdom is ceremoniously lowered with the Main Street maching band, barber shop quartet and Color Guard.

Most days they have a verteran of the day, which is either active duty miltary, or prior service.

I was lucky enough to bring the flag down with my father watching in December 2005.

When I arranged for my fater in-law to do the same in 2007, (he is retired Navy) at the last minute said he would not do it unless I joined him.

In 2008 the active duty member who was scheduled to do the ceremony failed to show at the required muster time, I was once again asked to perform the honor.

When you participate in the ceremony you have a designated photopass phographer who shoots pictures of just you, and your family after the ceremony. You are given a certificate recognizing you as the Veteran of the Day as well as a Pin stating the same (Pin can not be traded or sold) and a certificate for 1 free 5X7 print from the ceremony (you pick the picture you want printed).

If you are very lucky (or know how to beg the right way) you may even be able to get the flag you helped lower to take home with you. I have mine (from the time my fater in-law and I performed the honor) mounted in a shadow box with the certificates, picture and pin.

Do you happen to know if they do this at Disneyland? I am currently deployed, and I plan on taking my family there when I get home. I would love to do this, as would my wife(she is a veteran, and lover of all things military).

I don't know if they do this at Disneyland, but my dad was Veteran of the day on July 1, 2005. He was walking around wearing his USAF retired cap, and then a CM asked him if he wanted to do it. We have a pin, certificate, and lots of pictures. We felt so special! :cloud9: It was really fun.

Do you happen to know if they do this at Disneyland? I am currently deployed, and I plan on taking my family there when I get home. I would love to do this, as would my wife(she is a veteran, and lover of all things military).

From what I have been told all disney parks do it.

I'll have to have my wife call and see. I sure hope they do it. I'm pretty sure my wife could do some talking and convince them to kindly donate the flag to us.

I'll have to have my wife call and see. I sure hope they do it. I'm pretty sure my wife could do some talking and convince them to kindly donate the flag to us.

Both DH and I are vets as well. We love Disney and on our trip two weeks back we asked about this honor. Well it seems they do not do this. But then again, we have a friend who did this in DL last year.
So as far as DH and I can figure it must depend on the time of year and how busy they are as well as who is in charge.

I guess the best I can say is it's a roll of the dice on if it will happen for you or not. I even told them DH just got back from the middle east (not a lie) but hey still did not allow him or ask anyone to participate.

Hope it works for you. Please let us know.

Oh and we are a Travis family as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter