Using DDP knowing you won't get value?

Comparison--I'm in a hurry and the more expensive candy bar is at the front of a superstore like Walmart/Meijer and the other one is way in the back. I'd pay for the more expensive for the convenience of it.

You can't go simply dollar for dollar. People place value on things other than cost. If that wasn't true every resort would be a value resort.

If these candy bars are next to each other on the same shelf, like I said, you'd be VERY surprised at the result. I pay for convenience and I understand it. I'm currently trying to estimate the value of a Value resort vs staying at an Epcot area resort. The values are cheaper, by straight dollars, but I'd rather be able to walk to EP and HS, and I don't think the Values are worth losing the time. I get it. The candy bar thing tho, same shelf, same candy bar, price one higher. It will sell pretty well without having any more value. Your example of a candy bar being priced higher explains the value of the candy bar, and it is legit, and totally understandable. It is different than my example.

We may not have solved anything but at least we gave the 'lil ol " Disney Dining Plan board some action. I'm checking out. Seriously, I wish everyone planning a trip a wonderful vacation.:sunny:

So I must have added more to my post after you typed this reply.

Anyways, such is life! :)
I got your whole post before I responded(ETA: meaning the first post that was aimed at me not the "Huh" post). I just quoted the part that seemed directly aimed at me given that it said "In regards to the post above mine".

You wanted to aim your feelings towards Ratzo..that's not a problem at all..but you were quoting mine. Nowhere did I say that anyone's explanation wasn't good enough. I was speaking in regards to the blanket statements made and why that may not be helpful to those on the fence.

It's cool if you don't want to or don't care to understand where I could possibly be irritated that you lumped me into the category of your explanations not being enough and the irrational/psychological stuff when I didn't mention any of that stuff at all. I don't even agree with the person you have an issue with nor did I even say I did agree with them.

ETA: I see you edited your "huh" post like what 13 or so mins after your first posted it.

1) You and I were responding to each other based on what you originally posted not your edited version of your response that started with "Huh"
2) You edited so you could put your explanation in instead of just responding to me in another post.
3)Your first intent was pretty darn clear but yes you edited so now you can say "oh no I didn't mean it that way"...okkk then.

Last edited:
So I must have added more to my post after you typed this reply.

Anyways, such is life! :)
And while you may not come back to this thread these two posts say completely different things. However you chose not to quote me again explaining things and instead just edited your post. That is something I will just have to remember regarding your comments.

Original quote:
upload_2017-2-6_15-10-56.png

Edited quote:
upload_2017-2-6_15-11-29.png

If these candy bars are next to each other on the same shelf, like I said, you'd be VERY surprised at the result. I pay for convenience and I understand it. I'm currently trying to estimate the value of a Value resort vs staying at an Epcot area resort. The values are cheaper, by straight dollars, but I'd rather be able to walk to EP and HS, and I don't think the Values are worth losing the time. I get it. The candy bar thing tho, same shelf, same candy bar, price one higher. It will sell pretty well without having any more value. Your example of a candy bar being priced higher explains the value of the candy bar, and it is legit, and totally understandable. It is different than my example.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've worked retail for years. All you have to look at is J C Penny's failure at every day low pricing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've worked retail for years. All you have to look at is J C Penny's failure at every day low pricing.
You mean (ETA: for example) the "buy one get one for a penny" deal? If only people realized they were spending more money for that.

Jeans:$42-$44 usual sale $19.99 (during certain times as low as $17.99 or $15)..using the "buy one get one for a penny" you would be paying $42.01-$44.01 instead of $39.98 or lower.

Those BOGO deals CAN be pretty funny. I wonder what would happen if you gave a customer a choice of 3 racks:
Rack 1: one Hershey bar for 1.00
Rack 2: one Hershey bar for 2.00
Rack 3: Buy one Hershey bar for 5.00, get one free

I agree that for those of us who visit often enough to be fairly proficient at choosing restaurants that we know our family will enjoy, as well as predicting what they will generally choose to eat and to drink, and if they also will order snacks, and use the refillable mugs, choosing which DDP, if any, as well as comparing the choice between Free Dining vs RO discount is not as confusing as it may be for those who are new at making these choices.

I know that every decision is personal, and that people make those decisions because they know what works best for their family. People need ot factor not only cost, but mindset, and peace of mind into these spending decisions, and for each family, the path tot that decision is not wrong. It upsets me greatly when someone makes a blanket statement that a plan is or is not a good idea, but that person bases the statement on their own idea of what is a financially feasible decision.

I think that when a declaration one way or another occurs, folks who are just trying to begin planning their dining may either decide the math is too confusing to manage and pick one and run with it, believe that the person who is the "loudest" is the one who is right, or they give up. To me, that defeats the purpose of these boards. How can we at least show folks how to make their plans if we cannot respect that there is more than just a bottom line involved? I would prefer to at least provide an avenue for them to come here and get information so they can use that to make their own determination of what is not only financially the best decision, but what will offer the best experience to their family.

I agree that for those of us who visit often enough to be fairly proficient at choosing restaurants that we know our family will enjoy, as well as predicting what they will generally choose to eat and to drink, and if they also will order snacks, and use the refillable mugs, choosing which DDP, if any, as well as comparing the choice between Free Dining vs RO discount is not as confusing as it may be for those who are new at making these choices.

I know that every decision is personal, and that people make those decisions because they know what works best for their family. People need ot factor not only cost, but mindset, and peace of mind into these spending decisions, and for each family, the path tot that decision is not wrong. It upsets me greatly when someone makes a blanket statement that a plan is or is not a good idea, but that person bases the statement on their own idea of what is a financially feasible decision.

I think that when a declaration one way or another occurs, folks who are just trying to begin planning their dining may either decide the math is too confusing to manage and pick one and run with it, believe that the person who is the "loudest" is the one who is right, or they give up. To me, that defeats the purpose of these boards. How can we at least show folks how to make their plans if we cannot respect that there is more than just a bottom line involved? I would prefer to at least provide an avenue for them to come here and get information so they can use that to make their own determination of what is not only financially the best decision, but what will offer the best experience to their family.
That was very well spoken in my opinion :-)

That's why I even mentioned broad/blanket statements.

I once saw a thread sometime last year where the title was something to the effect of "I beat the Disney Dining Plan!!" (I'm sure it's not the only one). It was not well received and had very little positive comments. Most were just scoffing with "oh really?" type stuff. Well the priginal poster wasn't really clear on why the Plan worked for them for that trip just a more vagueness to it. It wasn't very helpful in the end for anyone else looking to see if the Dining Plan would work for them and potential reasons why it may work for them.

I don't see it as irrational. I see it as placing a higher value on the very real piece of mind I gain than the few dollars I might overspend. That judgment call is different for everyone and there is no right or wrong answer.

Yes you are right, the argument goes in circles because it is inherently subjective. One's person's valuable piece of mind is another person's logical fallacy.

If you've basing the plan on it's ability to save you money, it's not subjective. It's a very concrete answer backed up with math. Either it does or it doesn't and most times it doesn't. If you get the plan because you are afraid to overspend even though all the evidence shows otherwise, that's irrational. It doesn't get any clearer than this. Like I said to someone else previously, go ahead and burn your money. It's none of my concern. Just don't claim that it's a good idea.

If you've basing the plan on it's ability to save you money, it's not subjective. It's a very concrete answer backed up with math. Either it does or it doesn't and most times it doesn't. If you get the plan because you are afraid to overspend even though all the evidence shows otherwise, that's irrational. It doesn't get any clearer than this. Like I said to someone else previously, go ahead and burn your money. It's none of my concern. Just don't claim that it's a good idea.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And..... You still stubbornly refuse to admit that there is more to this discussion than money. Not everyone is basing their decision solely on the ability to save money. For sone of us, the subjective part matters. That is not irrational, no matter how often you want to use that word. It isn't the most important thing to some of us. When you are ready to discuss the value of piece of mind let me know, until then perhaps you should just stop responding to me because you aren't doing anything productive to add to your position, quite the contrary.

That was very well spoken in my opinion :-)

That's why I even mentioned broad/blanket statements.

I once saw a thread sometime last year where the title was something to the effect of "I beat the Disney Dining Plan!!" (I'm sure it's not the only one). It was not well received and had very little positive comments. Most were just scoffing with "oh really?" type stuff. Well the priginal poster wasn't really clear on why the Plan worked for them for that trip just a more vagueness to it. It wasn't very helpful in the end for anyone else looking to see if the Dining Plan would work for them and potential reasons why it may work for them.

I saw that one too. It did not make a great deal of sense to me.

I can only definitively say what works for my family. Every trip is different, with our own preferences varying due to time of year, focus, and who is with us. I was ridiculed when I explained that my husband was fixated on what was included in the DDP the last time he joined us on vacation. He kept confusing that awesome one DIsney used to offer wot the one that is on place now. I had looked at what we had reserved, added money for appetizers to share at the table, and figured upgrading to DxDDP would not pay. Well, I was wrong, and moving forward I know that when DH is with us, I need to plan more TS breakfast, more TS meals really, and add lots of appetizers, and snacks. That guy has not met a kiosk he does not like (except the turkey leg spots). I don't even need a battle plan....I'm booking DxDDP. We will use it. I will skip CL, he hated that. Bottom line, when Bud is with us, we will spend more on dining, and it will be a blast! He is happiest when he is feeding his family.

I dont understand setting out to make a plan work rather than choosing a plan, or no plan if that is the case, to suit the ADR's families make, but I also don't assume folks do that. If they do that, oh well, if they like that sort of thing, it's okay with me. What is not okay is when I say I did my math, determined what was my best choice, and came out ahead, I am told that if I do not provide a detailed spreadsheet that meets a stranger's expectations, I must be delusional. I can assure you, I am not. I am also blessed with a daughter who spends all day every day building complicated spreadsheets that support all of the entires in an international company's general ledgers, and then backs them up every year during an undependant audit. She and her family generally travel with me and she goes over my very simple spreadsheet. If she agrees we are good....we are.

And..... You still stubbornly refuse to admit that there is more to this discussion than money. Not everyone is basing their decision solely on the ability to save money. For sone of us, the subjective part matters. That is not irrational, no matter how often you want to use that word. It isn't the most important thing to some of us. When you are ready to discuss the value of piece of mind let me know, until then perhaps you should just stop responding to me because you aren't doing anything productive to add to your position, quite the contrary.

I get it. You like the fact that the DDP tricks you into relieving yourself from the self-imposed guilt trip and fear that you will spend more than you wanted. You're knowingly overpaying for food for that "peace of mind." I'm sorry you are experiencing this level of cognitive dissonance, but spending too much money to prevent a feeling of spending too much money not logical or reasonable. It's an emotional response. You're just going to have to deal with the fact that your decision is irrational because it is. Accept it. Live with it. Or change it.

I have bought the deluxe dining plan, knowing that we weren't seeking to "maximize" the benefits. We were also staying club level (at Yacht club) too.

My brother has been extraordinarily generous with me--paying my way for various vacations at times I really couldn't afford it. He told me he wanted to take a trip to Disney but knew I knew how to plan it better than he could. It happened to come at a time when I actually COULD afford it, so I treated him this time.

Since he had always been so good to me, I wanted to make sure he never thought about how much I was paying when I was treating him. That is why I got the dining plan--since it was already pre-paid, he wouldn't feel bad ordering a more expensive item on the menu.

I get it. You like the fact that the DDP tricks you into relieving yourself from the self-imposed guilt trip and fear that you will spend more than you wanted. You're knowingly overpaying for food for that "peace of mind." I'm sorry you are experiencing this level of cognitive dissonance, but spending too much money to prevent a feeling of spending too much money not logical or reasonable. It's an emotional response. You're just going to have to deal with the fact that your decision is irrational because it is. Accept it. Live with it. Or change it.
No, you don't get it. At all. Don't think you ever will. No is being tricked. You really need to stop with the derogatory, shock value language. It isn't lending you any credibility. It's insulting that you continue to argue that I am being tricked. I know full well what I am doing, and choose to do it with my eyes wide open. No tricks. You don't get to tell me what I "have to deal with".

Sometimes DDP saves me money (most trips in fact). I do keep all my receipts and monitor. So sorry that I don't have year old receipts to show you now so you will believe it but we have been to Disney 8 times for a week on DDP. 6 of those times we came out ahead. We have done several shorter trips as well. Occasionally we loose less than $100.(usually much less, on the order of maybe $20) I find the piece of mind worth the occasional loss. I never said everyone would or that everyone should.

Frankly, you trying too hard. Just stop.

Last edited:
I can't control myself. I had to do it - I found a dining calculator - asked how many snacks per person per day (2 adults) - I did two, one for breakfast and one for whatever, or food/wine, etc. How many appetizers, I put one as we will split it. Two mugs because we would get those anyways, like them at home too. Then it just asked what counter service and table service we would pick each day. I know how we eat, we both tend to end up ordering the more expensive dishes wherever we go unfortunately! I know pretty much where we are going so I entered those and here are the results, looks as if I will be paying an overage of $65.82 ish (we will probably tip higher). I can live with that :) :

Using No Plan
$1353.29
Quick Service Meals: $317.36
Table Service Meals: $677.41
Snacks: $141.48
Refillable Mugs: $35.98
Taxes: $59.12
Tips: $121.93

Using Disney Dining Plan
$1419.10 (Additional Cost: $65.82)
Quick Service Entitlements Remaining: 0
Table Service Entitlements Remaining: 0

This dining plan would cost $1211.94 and covers the following amounts:
  • Entrees & Drinks: $724.94
  • Appetizers: $0.00
  • Desserts: $184.60
  • Snacks: $141.48
  • Refillable Mugs: $35.98
  • Taxes: $59.12
You would need to pay for these amounts out of pocket:
  • Entrees & Drinks: $0.00
  • Appetizers: $85.23
  • Desserts: $0.00
  • Snacks: $0.00
  • Refillable Mugs: $0.00
  • Tips: $121.93
  • Taxes: $0.00

Last edited:
Comparison--I'm in a hurry and the more expensive candy bar is at the front of a superstore like Walmart/Meijer and the other one is way in the back. I'd pay for the more expensive for the convenience of it.

You can't go simply dollar for dollar. People place value on things other than cost. If that wasn't true every resort would be a value resort.
I'm not so easily parted with my money. Every time, I'm heading to the back of the store.

The resort comparison isn't the same. Food is food. Resorts all have varying amenities that account for rate differences. You can bet that I will find the cheapest rate at the resort of my choosing every time, even if it means working for it. Convenience be damned. I want to hold on to my money.

I saw that one too. It did not make a great deal of sense to me.

I can only definitively say what works for my family. Every trip is different, with our own preferences varying due to time of year, focus, and who is with us. I was ridiculed when I explained that my husband was fixated on what was included in the DDP the last time he joined us on vacation. He kept confusing that awesome one DIsney used to offer wot the one that is on place now. I had looked at what we had reserved, added money for appetizers to share at the table, and figured upgrading to DxDDP would not pay. Well, I was wrong, and moving forward I know that when DH is with us, I need to plan more TS breakfast, more TS meals really, and add lots of appetizers, and snacks. That guy has not met a kiosk he does not like (except the turkey leg spots). I don't even need a battle plan....I'm booking DxDDP. We will use it. I will skip CL, he hated that. Bottom line, when Bud is with us, we will spend more on dining, and it will be a blast! He is happiest when he is feeding his family.
See and for me I know if my in-laws (who now might not go with us in Sep) were with us they would def. eat more food and probably though not for sure at higher priced places. My husband and I don't deprive ourselves by any means but we also aren't completely unaware of how much something costs and we are a bit more in the cost-conscious group. However, in my example to another poster I'm also ok with getting a $25.50 per plate item just as much as a $10.75 per plate item. We also have slightly different taste preferences than the in-laws. ETA: Sounds like we know our family's habits :D

I dont understand setting out to make a plan work rather than choosing a plan, or no plan if that is the case, to suit the ADR's families make, but I also don't assume folks do that. If they do that, oh well, if they like that sort of thing, it's okay with me. What is not okay is when I say I did my math, determined what was my best choice, and came out ahead, I am told that if I do not provide a detailed spreadsheet that meets a stranger's expectations, I must be delusional. I can assure you, I am not. I am also blessed with a daughter who spends all day every day building complicated spreadsheets that support all of the entires in an international company's general ledgers, and then backs them up every year during an undependant audit. She and her family generally travel with me and she goes over my very simple spreadsheet. If she agrees we are good....we are.
That's a good point about using the word/viewpoint 'work' instead of plan in the sense that you describe. It could be like putting a square peg in a round hole..if you have to try so hard perhaps it really isn't what you need.

And yes in my opinion it gets more of a sour note when you spoken to like that in proving yourself and in those ways. Just explaining it to me with some helpful details is perfectly fine in my book and could really help someone out. I don't think I've seen it go south when someone just asks "Could you help me understand how it ___ I want to see if it would __ for me (works, plans, best choice, etc)" or "I would appreciate your knowledge on __, can you help me out?"

You dont get it. You think it is all about dollars and cents, and you insist on removing the personal "quirks" of the people involved. I am that person who cannot get past the prices. One meal? Yes, I can order whatever I want and not think about the cost of each item. A week of dining? Not in this lifetime can I look at a steak that costs $42 and give myself permission to order it. I will order the pork chop or the chicken. I can afford whatever I want, and I know that, but I just cannot bring myself to do that. A gift card? That is money to me. What is a perfect solution for most people is not a viable method for me. I spent too many years pinching pennies to make sure my family had what they needed and wanted to just allow myself to be free and easy spending money. I know at home I cook lean meats all year long, and I hate to cook beef, but I like it. I am generally going to order it if I know I have already allocated the funds. I won't if I did not do so. I love Starbucks venti beverages with 4 shots extra. I am as cheap as they come, so these are a treat for me. I know I will talk myself out of that 2 pump mocha latte, extra shots if I had to whip put my Starbucks gift card, but a snack credit that I allocated $5 for, and now my snack is really $8? Yay for me! Yes, I prepaid my trip when I add a DDP, but I did so with a motive. I get a lovely sense of accomplishment when I bargain hunt at home, stretch my food dollar and still manage plentiful healthy food for my family. I do not want to vacation with that mindset though, but some peopl just cannot turn it off. So I don't. I look at menus, make dining plans, and run a sheet that shows what I speculate my family will order, the same way I know where they like to stay, and how they want to tour.

I am pretty stinkin' lucky. My family is grown, I am married to a man who thinks the best things in life involve indulging his family's and we both save for a vacation experience that not only is fun for all of us, but that takes into consideration the sensitivities of all of us. We are pretty darn good at managing money, and we did nto get to the stage we enjoy now becuase we blithely made decisions that were "feel good". WE really do know what we are doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter