• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Upgraded an entire resort level?

TheMouseKId

Mouseketeer
So we just got a call from Disney saying that we would like to be offered a complimentary upgrade from All Star Movies to Coronado Springs. IS this normal for people or might it be because of our status as DVC. and Passholders? Please tell me in the comments. Thanks!

Depending on when you're going there may be something going on that has all the values booked/overbooked and they don't have another value to put you at. I had friends moved to POFQ last year during Pop Warner because the resort needed a few more rooms for the event people.

On our first trip as a family, we were booked at POFQ. About a month or two before our trip I got a call from Disney saying there was going to be construction going on at the resort and they needed to move us. I was offered my pick of any resort, any category. I chose the Polynesian. :)

I was summarily upgraded from All Star Sports to Port Orleans Riverside for my first on site stay, long enough ago to be considered in an earlier lifetime. It was a few years later that I suspected they chose me because I was paying full rate, having not yet learned about room discounts.

A few weeks after getting a confirmation letter for 'Sports but somewhat in advance of arrival date, out of the wild blue I got a confirmation letter for POR. The rate was the same so I did not question it with a follow up phone call.

The reason was obvious, at the time 'Sports became overbooked, not ruling out a construction delay in opening of a building. (At the time it was the only value resort but this last point is not relevant to today's discussion.).

There are myriads of combinations and permutations of factors that go into pricing out a package for convention, cheerleading groups, Youth Educational Service groups, etc. Some pricings might have included, hidden, the cost of upgrading other guests in order to fit the entire group in one place.

Last edited:
Yes, this definitely happens more than you realize! We used to upgrade guests from the All Star's especially over Pop Warner dates - I think this was one of my favorite opportunities surprising guests to a Moderate or Deluxe Resort. Majority of guests took the upgrade, while some rejected the offer (so personal preference!)

Personally, I had booked a reservation at Contemporary over Easter week and was surprised to be asked to be moved over to Grand Floridian upon arrival. Talk about a magical moment!

Our family was moved from AOA Little Mermaid Room to a 1 Bedroom Villa at Saratoga Springs during a Christmas week trip in 2012. We are not DVC or passholders. The CM I spoke to on the phone said they overbooked the Mermaid rooms.

I was offered an “upgrade“ from Pop Century to the Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs during marathon weekend this January, and I declined. The Skyliner is too good to pass up. I had paid rack rate and I suppose they were oversold, so they called me about a month ahead to offer it.

While these threads are great to see. Complimentary upgrades aren’t common - people excitedly post here when upgrades. People need to remember book the resort and level you want- if an upgrade happens fantastic. If not enjoy your trip! Also don’t ask or demand a free upgrade -
That is so true. I do agree that you should never ever demand an upgrade. This was just a random occurrence.

I was offered an “upgrade“ from Pop Century to the Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs during marathon weekend this January, and I declined. The Skyliner is too good to pass up. I had paid rack rate and I suppose they were oversold, so they called me about a month ahead to offer it.

You made the right decision. I was at the Gran Destino Tower during the Princess Half. It was a wonderful room, but I think that'll be the last time I stay at a resort where the bus is the only option to get to the parks. I waited SO long for buses.

So we just got a call from Disney saying that we would like to be offered a complimentary upgrade from All Star Movies to Coronado Springs. IS this normal for people or might it be because of our status as DVC. and Passholders? Please tell me in the comments. Thanks!
It’s do to no specific room availability. Non DVC Members pay way more for their rooms (better rooms imo), so non members would be more likely for an upgrade in most cases.
But you were paying cash for a budget level room, so you are in that category.

Congratulations. DVC and AP here and have never been upgraded. So I don't think it has anything to do with those reasons, probably like others have said they oversold your resort.

We got upgraded from All Star Musis to Coronado Springs last month because of the renovations going on. The handicapped accessible room we had book was no longer going to be available while we are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter